Author Topic: queer skaters talking about queer shit  (Read 140736 times)

consumer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
  • they/them
queer skaters talking about queer shit
« on: December 03, 2020, 10:07:02 AM »
i want a dope thread of queers talking about queer skating

like how i loved everything about the new glue video besides the editing and film itself

or how there has had some of the best board graphics in over 10 years

lgbtq+ post up

hot take

• Rep: -57
Re: queer skaters talking about queer shit
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 11:05:19 AM »
Just skating with all the homies.

goldfishboot

• Rep: 144
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 11:41:05 AM »
Madison, WI bi skater dude checking in

I am not very good at skating but some of my friends are very good at skating

Marbie is my homegirl/roommate, trying to get things done with the last who knows number of days of okay weather

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
  • I like dork tricks :/
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 11:54:31 AM »
Virginia trans femme androgynous cunt checking in

I don't skate at all these days , cause all the local ex-homies (RIP my youth) are super-spreaders foremost - and secondly , and much more personally , I'm the only trans person in an aggressively cis-het community .

I had to let the fuck go of the people I grew up with , because they made my life a living hell . That shit sucked ,  and sucks , and I will never fully process the grief of it .

This is a downer , I know . But there is nothing positive for me in my community anymore .

I'm just grateful for my hubby , because I live for him and I now . I'll take that over sore limbs and rolled ankles any day , hahaha .

And I'm grateful for the shalomies I gained here - SLAP is my last remaining tie with skateboarding , the thing that I lived for throughout the formative years of my life .

So many of you make me laugh and share the silliest exchanges with me and that shit owns . I'm a lucky ducky . 

Cis skaters , we need more help surviving this hell - I'm one of the few trans people that got lucky enough to find an alternative .

For most of us it's a terrible existence V. an early grave .

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 12:01:32 PM »
midwest gay boy checking in

been skating for 17 years

love the amount of queer representation in skating now. 

gay people are pretty much the last remaining group of "underground" people left in the cultural zeitgeist. 

queer skateboarding has the attitudes that skateboarding itself held in the 80s and 90s.

would love more pro skateboarders to come out! there's quite a few out there.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 12:08:51 PM »
Milwaukee bi skate boarding man.

I'm not really "out" per say but I'm not really hiding anything. I just never felt like making a huge announcement or anything bc that's just not my style. I have trouble with filming for "IG" regularly. I know its kooky, and usually I save my good clips for vids and have IG stuff for throwaway, but it's still a struggle when you are of my generation. Everybody always pressuring you for clips and shit.

Anyways, much love and respect to all of my queer homies in MKE, on the boards, and elsewhere. Skating would be lame without us anyways  ;).  Additional shoutout to the cool posters on here. Additional "suck my fuckin dick" to the dickheads.
The hate is always tough but fuck em, you're star. Too many boring ass white dudes in skating feel like they own the fuckin skate world. Shits changin dawg! It aint 2003 no more baby!

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 12:16:04 PM »
cishet male checking in. Not because I have a place in this thread, but just to reaffirm that everyone, absolutely everyone, deserves a safe space in skateboarding, on here, and throughout the rest of the world - regardless if some feel the need to debate that.

Respect to all of the posters above for living their truth and having the courage to be themselves in a world that does not always tolerate that.

Big love

edit: And for other 'straight' skaters out there, it is simply not enough to say you "tolerate" queer or LGBTQIA+ identifying people. Our culture is full of sexism and misogyny and we must be actively anti-sexist and anti-homophobic(among other things) to make our spaces safe for everyone.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 12:44:48 PM by professional »

Mort Garson

• Rep: 13
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 12:20:29 PM »
non-binary skater living in the Bay Area, sup y’all.

Only “came out” recently and never talked to most of my skate homies about it, feels sorta like a don’t ask don’t tell thing cause I know they’ve seen it on ig but it never really comes up.

There’s a huge queer skate scene here and I know a couple people in it peripherally but we’ve never actually skated. I can tell they’re all good homies and I don’t wanna insert myself and be a weirdo about it, but hopefully I’ll link with ‘em soon enough.

Also just broke my hand trying slappy front blunt, super fun stuff lol
rad rat's ex-wife

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 12:39:52 PM »
I'm a cis straight male but I wanted to reverberate what @professional said. Shouts to all of you living your truth and fuck anyone that has a problem with it.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 12:57:43 PM »
I'm a cis straight male but I wanted to reverberate what @professional said. Shouts to all of you living your truth and fuck anyone that has a problem with it.

same
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

gr1m

• Rep: 4
  • (o_____O)
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 01:05:30 PM »
east coast non-binary/trans woman skater here-- i grapple w some of the sociopolitical implications of gender discourse and so i've never liked labels, but somewhere in that spectrum would be most accurate. i mostly just feel like gender is fake, but now that pronouns are going mainstream and i'm being asked more and more frequently to provide them, i feel like my hand is kinda being forced. idk if anyone else relates.

but yeah anyway new account just to post in this thread after years of occasional lurking, hello beautiful queers  :P
xx

Grind King Rims

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 01:11:19 PM »
Gay cis male skater in Ireland. I barely skate any more because I don't know anyone in the city I moved to two years ago, but I talk shit on the internet every day.

Up the queers <3

BroBruhBra

• Rep: -20
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2020, 01:15:34 PM »
Look at us!

Northeast Trans (mtf) Bi girl checking in. Pretty proud to be here with ya'll and seeing skating become more and more inclusive.

I'm 36 and remember when it just didn't seem possible to blend them, which is dumb. Remember hearing rumors that BA was gay and feeling terrible about what he must have been going through, being a high profile pro with a secret if it was true. I think most of us can relate on some level.

Really psyched to see Cher and Leo doing Glue and feeling good about the future.

However, im not feeling good about the resurgence of 90s fashion in skating. Barf.

Dirk_Diggler

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2020, 01:19:43 PM »
I’m not gay, but my best friend of over 20 years just came out recently. Our other friends, who have been in our circle for almost our whole lives don’t even speak to him now, which is really fucking shitty and I was really shocked by that.  It is even making me reconsider my friendship with them now.  Sometimes it takes longer to see people’s true colors I guess.  He’s still the same old dude I’ve known my whole life so I really don’t see why it’s a problem, and it shouldn’t be to begin with.

He has a boyfriend now and he’s really happy, probably the happiest I’ve ever seen him and I’m so stoked and proud of him for coming out and living his best life.  All this time I had no idea that he was struggling with his inner demons with this, and I wish he would’ve told me sooner because I 100% would’ve been there for him every step of the way. I understand why he didn’t though because it was just different times back then. 

I never cared what his sexual orientation is, I just want him to continue being my best friend. That’s all I care about.

Mongoloid

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2020, 01:26:19 PM »
Gay cis male skater in Ireland. I barely skate any more because I don't know anyone in the city I moved to two years ago, but I talk shit on the internet every day.

Up the queers <3

You’re in Ireland? For some reason I always assumed you were in the states.. idk why.

I back this shit!

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2020, 01:36:39 PM »
I recently have fully accepted and am open that I'm bi, mostly because I moved away from my home state and didn't really want it to be known among my old friend groups. I didn't (and still don't) want to deal with the adversity and having something that seems completely normal to me change people's opinions about me. I'm getting closer to not caring about it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 09:51:07 AM by offkilter »

itsyourdad

• Rep: 56
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2020, 01:39:20 PM »
chicago based bisexual gender fluid sk9r posting up.
i’m happy to see queer skateboarders getting coverage. i still got zero respect for any companies promoting their tolken gay skateboarder, but companies like glue are fucking sick.

evelen

• Rep: 4
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 01:40:46 PM »
PNW transgirl here. I skate in the streets because I would rather play frogger with cars than with a bunch of angry men and horny teens  :P

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1284
  • i can't it's a geo!
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 01:42:57 PM »
cishet male checking in. Not because I have a place in this thread, but just to reaffirm that everyone, absolutely everyone, deserves a safe space in skateboarding, on here, and throughout the rest of the world - regardless if some feel the need to debate that.

Respect to all of the posters above for living their truth and having the courage to be themselves in a world that does not always tolerate that.

Big love

edit: And for other 'straight' skaters out there, it is simply not enough to say you "tolerate" queer or LGBTQIA+ identifying people. Our culture is full of sexism and misogyny and we must be actively anti-sexist and anti-homophobic(among other things) to make our spaces safe for everyone.
straight up.

dare to be different, pals. respect and love goes out to you all.
I rolled my ankle jacking off on a ladder.

Rune Spliffberg

• Rep: 94
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2020, 01:52:57 PM »

yup

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2020, 01:53:33 PM »

Up the queers <3

Hit me up to skate some time if your in Dublin man
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Grind King Rims

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2020, 02:25:06 PM »
Expand Quote

Up the queers <3

[close]

I'd be down to skate Clongriffin/Donaghmede, Ballyogan, Cork St. or spots in town whenever it's dry. I don't even know where to go around town now that Portobello's gone.

sk8bat

• Rep: -97
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2020, 02:34:40 PM »
Madison, WI bi skater dude checking in

I am not very good at skating but some of my friends are very good at skating

Marbie is my homegirl/roommate, trying to get things done with the last who knows number of days of okay weather
Watched her game of fingerboard skate with Tubsy the other day.

sk8bat

• Rep: -97
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2020, 02:38:20 PM »
chicago based bisexual gender fluid sk9r posting up.
i’m happy to see queer skateboarders getting coverage. i still got zero respect for any companies promoting their tolken gay skateboarder, but companies like glue are fucking sick.
Is that a diss on Anti Hero?

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2020, 02:40:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Up the queers <3

[close]

[close]

I'd be down to skate Clongriffin/Donaghmede, Ballyogan, Cork St. or spots in town whenever it's dry. I don't even know where to go around town now that Portobello's gone.

Deadly man

Portobello is still going I skated it on Tuesday
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2020, 02:44:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

same

same

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2157
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2020, 03:26:19 PM »
Glad this thread was created.
Y’all know my stance on the LGBTQs: I’m so glad you’re here, and thank you for bringing your friends.
If we can’t all enjoy this stoke together, I don’t really want anything to do with it anymore.
Growing up doing ballet, figure skating, and theater I found it odd that skateboarding appeared to be the exclusive domain of straight, mostly white, dudes for so much of my youth.
It happys my blood pumper to see the activity I love finally start to resemble the world I live in.
I see you out there.
Shalom.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2020, 03:28:12 PM »
hi, you called? Queer non-binary humanoid over here.  :)

I came out a while ago to some family and close friends of mine with the sexuality portion of my identity. But never to my few skate friends growing up because the skate scene where I lived was, and still is, plagued with bigot skate jocks. There is a custom made neo-nazi swastika board hanging on the ceiling of the local skate shop to this day. At one point I quit skating for years because I would get slurs thrown at me from the older guys because of my race, god knows what would have happened if they knew I was queer as well. 

I moved away for college and was way more open about my identity to my roommates, coworkers, and friends who didn't skate. But I fell back into the closet around my skate friends because old habits die hard. I was used to creating carpenmentalized groups of people who knew about my identity and those who didn't. It was exhausting and now I regret it. There was one person who knew because I would constantly talk about cute skater bois was on our radio show, and he's a Pal here on Slap, so shouts out to you.

Only recently as of this year was when I came out as an enby. Gender euphoria is real and it feels fucking fantastic. Once I connected the dots of all the signs growing up that I was trans it hit me like a ton of bricks. But the timing sucked because I had to move back home because of COVID. And now I am semi back in the closet and don't dress femme that often because I have 0 support here, skate alone, and am once again located in one of the most bigoted places in the country. Violence against trans people is very real and always on the back of my mind.

But there was one place where I could skate comfortably and be my true authentic self - the Rockridge curbs. I would make the 8-hour pilgrimage all the way to that dirty parking lot because it was seemingly the only place where I knew I was safe. For the first time in my life, my two separate parts of myself being a skater and being queer/trans finally came together. I saw openly queer and trans skaters in person, young and old, just being themselves and ripping the place up. Unity had opened the flood gates a year prior and what I saw was the result of a community blossoming and flourishing before my eyes. I am so happy for the queer and trans youth today who are growing up with companies like Unity, There, Glue, Baby Skateboards, and Pave the Way at their side and in full support.

It's so great that so many of you are posting in this thread, including the brand new accounts, and some of you I had no idea were queer. Also major shout out to all our cis straight allies in here, y'all rule. I love all you beautiful souls. Hopefully this thread is enough to bring GAY out of hibernation lol. If any of you want to connect on IG and link up in the future after COVID, drop me a PM. <3 

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

ramplocal

• Rep: 62
  • poser
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2020, 04:45:29 PM »
Glad this thread was created.
Y’all know my stance on the LGBTQs: I’m so glad you’re here, and thank you for bringing your friends.
If we can’t all enjoy this stoke together, I don’t really want anything to do with it anymore.
Growing up doing ballet, figure skating, and theater I found it odd that skateboarding appeared to be the exclusive domain of straight, mostly white, dudes for so much of my youth.
It happys my blood pumper to see the activity I love finally start to resemble the world I live in.
I see you out there.
Shalom.
Couldnt have said it any better myself man☺