Author Topic: queer skaters talking about queer shit  (Read 140712 times)

consumer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
  • they/them
Re: queer skaters talking about queer shit
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2020, 05:39:34 PM »
cishet male checking in. Not because I have a place in this thread, but just to reaffirm that everyone, absolutely everyone, deserves a safe space in skateboarding, on here, and throughout the rest of the world - regardless if some feel the need to debate that.

Respect to all of the posters above for living their truth and having the courage to be themselves in a world that does not always tolerate that.

Big love

edit: And for other 'straight' skaters out there, it is simply not enough to say you "tolerate" queer or LGBTQIA+ identifying people. Our culture is full of sexism and misogyny and we must be actively anti-sexist and anti-homophobic(among other things) to make our spaces safe for everyone.

You and all the other posters, queers and allies made me cry tonight. Your efforts are seen and mean more than you know knowing we can all be safe and confident at the spot. Know you are all seen and valid, and appreciated for your efforts aiding in merging our communities, love you all and shalom

everyone has a place and a voice in this thread!!!

the brooklyn queer skate community is the best thing to ever happen to me

theresnothinghere

• Rep: 33
  • ugly with a heart of gold
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2020, 06:13:21 PM »
Damn this is all so beautiful.

Pansexual, Trans, Non-monogamous but leaning masc. (They/He) Honestly haven't been on for a while because things are just kind of too cis-het on here sometimes but my partner sent me this thread and had to see it for myself. Bless up to the OP.

As for queer things, my best friends are really into roller skating (haven't tried it myself since I was a kid) and just got gifted some roller skates that I need to try out. Wondering if anyone has dabbled in roller skating and have tips? It's been blowing up in the queer community!
Also curious if any queers are doing any activist work where they're at, would love to hear about it.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2020, 07:38:20 PM »
Also curious if any queers are doing any activist work where they're at, would love to hear about it.

Yep. I'm part of harm reduction and sexual health awareness groups and services where I live.

I'm bi/pansexual. Never really fully fit in to any scene except maybe the punk scene that i've distanced myself from. Was always big on psych/jazz dnb/jungle and other club music so would dip on punk nights to go experience other stuff.

Unfortunately I didn't gel with my local queer community as far as partying goes. I'm not white and a lot of uncomfortable tokenism made me uneasy. This happened in various cities too. Hope it's different worldwide. And yeah, local skaters have their crews so I just do my own thing and say what's up when people are at the spot.

Love to everyone though. I'm really grateful to see all kinds of humanity on a board these days.

Tireeedd

• Rep: 27
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2020, 08:19:00 PM »
San Diego, CA Non-Binary here (He/They) its cool to see more people in this thread. especially since I'm pretty sure I know one of you via IG already. After all the weird shit I've seen here on SLAP the last 10+ years its good to see we're community building finally.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2020, 08:22:52 PM »
Cis white male here.   Just wanted to say how awesome this is to see.  I love and support you all.  If I ever misgender or do a micro-aggression like say “you guys” or something to that effect, just know that it’s unintentional and a practice I’m conscious to avoid. 

@Armin Tanzarian was your username chosen as just a Simpsons ref or is there something about a identity unable to be shared that resonated (if that makes sense)

Cellular

• Rep: 16
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2020, 09:33:40 PM »
San Diego, CA Non-Binary here (He/They) its cool to see more people in this thread. especially since I'm pretty sure I know one of you via IG already. After all the weird shit I've seen here on SLAP the last 10+ years its good to see we're community building finally.

ay im in san diego too! u from dt or more inland?

I mean he is kinda doing dog drugs so I fuck with it

Cellular

• Rep: 16
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2020, 09:34:23 PM »
i never had a way with words but respect to all the lgbtqia community. we love u and respect u and fuck anyone that dont

I mean he is kinda doing dog drugs so I fuck with it

Noioso

• Rep: 90
  • "For me it's crazy like"
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2020, 09:44:05 PM »
Gay cis male here in Oakland.

Slap is the first place I ever heard of another gay skater and it was GAY. <3

I've been lucky to meet countless other queer skaters over the last few years, and I never imagined that would ever happen in my life. I have a pretty regular crew of queers I skate with and I've had more fun skating after 30 than I did as a teenager.

It's incredible how much the scene has grown, and so quickly. I hope every queer skater gets to find their crew!

Queer Skate Fact: There are very many queers who secretly lurk Slap. Come out of the closet, lurkers.  :-* ;)
"So, you want to follow the nuge, get a good feeble, a nice ollie, an excellent lipside, maybe a tolerable down love and become known for your outstanding kick flip el toro? Become a regular visitor at our skate parks. Righteous."

Prinzy

• Rep: 178
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2020, 09:59:30 PM »
From the perspective of a cis straight dude, I think in the coming years we are going to owe a lot LGTBQ+ skaters, as if we don't already.

We all know skating is historically not the most progressive nor most welcoming subculture in the world, so to see a marginalized group not just go "fuck you guys and your gatekeeping ass hobby" but instead put in massive amounts of hard work and passion into skating shows that they are not different from me or any other straight white skater in regards to how much respect they deserve as humans.

Where it is different is the fresh perspective that can be brought to skateboarding through inclusivity. These are new minds and new ways to look at skating, why wouldn't we want to embrace an opportunity to grow and improve the silly hobby we all love so much?

So thank you to all the LGBTQ+ skaters all out there. Thank you for putting up with the all the bullshit and hate from certain parts of the skate community to further this thing for the rest of us.

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass

lordrandall

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: -15
  • Your Uncles Favorite Uncle.
    • tokyo 19xx avatar image
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2020, 10:51:44 PM »
33 year old Bi male. Live in Northern California. I don't know any real queer skaters irl. Most of my skate homies know im queer and are cool about it lol. Most of them are younger so it's a little easier to punk em out if they get out of line with some whack shit. Seeing more queer skaters coming into skateboarding is awesome. I was in the closet until I was 30 and was always into hesh skating. Now I love seeing all the different stuff, anyways im baked and tired from work. Love y'all.

rock2fakie

• Rep: 7
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2020, 01:51:43 AM »
Bi girl. Sick to see this thread, seems long overdue? Crazy how many gay and queer skaters are actually out there, I do wonder how many pros are closeted. This year a wave of snowboarders came out (Jake Kuzyk was one of them, he also makes sick skate videos btw) and openly talked about being gay/queer, I wonder when that'll happen in skateboarding. I know there are openly queer skaters/companies like Glue, There, Unity etc., but seems like they entered the skateworld already being openly queer if that makes sense. I wonder how many pros, especially male pros, are still in the closet. Most pro women seem to be openly queer lol. I love to see it.

Been to an LGBT/Girls sesh at a local little DIY indoor twice recently and it's been super fun, gets me so stoked.

I love Glue and what theyre doing, just wished I loved SMUT a little more. I do want a glue deck cause the graphic with the fly is sick, if only I could get it in my country hahah. Anyway, nice to meet you all

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2020, 02:57:24 AM »
 Queer/bi-guy/heteroflex/poly checking in here.
Haven’t been posting as much lately due to really focusing on my mental health and other big projects.
But I love to see threads like this!
Love my slap fam!
All of this support all around is so important!

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2020, 03:42:32 AM »
i've never understood how some people are so fucking concerned about other people's lives, like how does it affect you that one of your male skate friends likes other men or that one of your friends doesn't feel attached to one certain gender. my mother has always taught me that you shouldn't be hateful towards other people for their beliefs and because of that i've only hated the hateful people ;D i live in poland, where the lgbtq+ community is attacked by the "patriots" during equality marches and where the president openly says that he sees gay people as a threat to the country. other than that, recently the government has made abortion even more illegal than before, now it's illegal to abort a child when there's a possibility of the mother dying when giving birth and the only legal abortion is when a girl gets pregnant after being raped. they don't want to wear masks though, because they feel that the government is taking their freedom away that way, even some of the right-wing politicians don't wear them during public appearances. because of that. it's a really shitty, fucked up country, so much that one of my old skate friends (ftm trans) had to move to the uk because that shit wouldn't fly here. the community is so fucking conservative that they go to church every sunday but you can still get beat up for being gay, even if you're a girl, because they seriously fear that their children will become gay after seeing gay people in real life. i'm a straight white male, but i really can't stand how lgbtq+ people. i have some gay and lesbian friends, one trans friend who i mentioned before, some nonbinary friends, and i'm extremely happy that at least the skateboarding community has started embracing people like them more. i apologize if this post is poorly written but english isn't my first language and even though i've been learning it for like 18 years i still make mistakes some time, so it there are any please don't take it the wrong way, i've got nothing but love for all the lgbtq+ skaters and that whole community in general.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2020, 06:23:42 AM »
i don't know if i fit in here in terms of sexuality but i want to say big up to yall queer skaters on here and outthere!

beware this is tldr: but if anyone cares: i am not sure about my sexuality since i could be described as what they call greysexual(person with limited sexuality). i am kind of attracted to men and women and also transpeople all the same on an emotional level and even attractiveness, like i still think people are hot, but the gap for me between thinking someones hot to where i want to fuck with them is pretty big. most of my sexuality kind of takes place in my head and i never put much thought into how it's done.  i feel oversexualized on one hand because i think a lot of stuff is sexy, i see tons of hot shit everyday, but it doesn't really affect me at the same time. i'm like "that's sick for all the folks who like to bang all the time!" anyways, one of my best friends she's convinced im bi. i kind of acted bi all my life without commiting to any sort of coming out to friends. i was always like "i'd have a boyfriend, too, why not, if i find one." most my friends thought i was fucking with them, their not homophobe, but used to me saying weird shit.

this sounds super dumb but i sometimes wished i had more intrinsic sex drive because no matter what type person i'm interested in, that lack of sex drive makes it different when things get serious. i still can have sex with people, it's probably not good most of the time because it's like work for me. i get erections like a healthy persons but don't know what to do with it because i don't feel like beating off or fucking just because that happens. i haven't had sex yet with a man or transperson, but for me personally due to my lack of sex drive alone it's not anymore outthere than having sex with a women. definetly made out with dudes tho, but even this more drunkenly.

i also had some gender dysphoria when i was a child. i was super depressed i was a boy. i hated the fact i was about to grow a beard later, thought penises are weird and scary and didn't want to have one, and didn't want to do stupid boys stuff. i even forgot a lot of that stuff until my mom told me that i used to dress up with her clothes and jewelry in front of the mirror. i remember having nightmares about mustaches. this is true. i had this nightmare that i couldn't shave off a mustache. i was horrified that this hair will grow on my face over and over again, lol. i guess that my face looks very teenlike and androginous fits that, and i used to get called out as a kid for looking like a girl. another crazy thing someone said to me when i was way older, but way before queers could be open in skateboarding, was that i look and dress like a dyke lesbian. i kind of thought that was a cool compliment because i was always cool with them, haha. nowadays if i was a kid i could imagine myself growing up non-binary, but seeing myself now, i'm content with being cis male. i'd always do stuff like paint my nails or something anyway if i wanted and i reached a point where friends wouldn't even think this says anything about my sexuality. i was just the dude that did stuff like that.

blablabla, i didn't have remotely any of all yall problems since all these things combined make it pretty easy for someone like me to fly under the radar and never have to confront myself with it and i managed to joke away any gnarlyness so far and publicly i'm just a cis male weirdo loner dude. but if we ever skate together and you get hassled i got your back is what i want to say. rise up queers!

GMB

• Rep: 8
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2020, 06:46:04 AM »
This thread is so awesome! Brazilian here!  Im very happy that skate scene is changing and people including me can express their sexuality and particularities and be open about our selfs, because for a long time I tried to avoid this part of my sexuality! Im a what you can call heteroflex/bi guy (dont know if its the right term) altought I didnt have many experiences but we all must do our best to make the lgbtqi+ community feel safe and comfortable in any space, including the skate scene and spots!  Shout out to the whole lgbtqi+ community, you rock!

imposter

• Rep: -63
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2020, 06:55:09 AM »

or how there has had some of the best board graphics in over 10 years

quasi? real? anti hero? krooked? fa? hockey?

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2020, 10:34:02 AM »
I'm a cis straight male but I wanted to reverberate what @professional said. Shouts to all of you living your truth and fuck anyone that has a problem with it.

This. Plus I wanted to ask if any of you have ideas about how myself and others can do more to be allies and support LGBTQ+ individuals and communities? XOXO

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2020, 10:56:25 AM »
Cis straight male, just here to listen and show my support. If anyone of you are in Philly and need someone to skate some curbs with, hit me up!

cky enthusiast

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2020, 12:30:55 PM »
Cis straight male, just here to listen and show my support. If anyone of you are in Philly and need someone to skate some curbs with, hit me up!

^^

x2.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2020, 12:32:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Cis straight male, just here to listen and show my support. If anyone of you are in Philly NYC and need someone to skate some curbs with, hit me up!
[close]

^^

x2.
Thirded.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2020, 12:50:06 PM »
Expand Quote

or how there has had some of the best board graphics in over 10 years

[close]
quasi? real? anti hero? krooked? fa? hockey?

Yep. Those brands have good graphics also lol.

Rockridge curbs are great. Idk what I’d label myself as but I like the diversity and I like seeing all skill levels having fun. Makes me feel more comfortable at spots.  Shout out to all the poc also

I’m trying to get more of my queer friends to sk8 with me so seeing queer people come together and media being produced is cool. I Can send friends videos and pics of decks that might pique their interest to come skate or just mess around on a board. It’s also cool that brands like glue and there are on friends’ radar that don’t skate so I can talk skateboart with them and they can see not all skaters are meat heads

nothing's been the since same

Hoeboi

• Rep: -360
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2020, 06:55:12 PM »
straight white male here. i applaud all you they and thems for standing up for skate culture. I'm a straight male and like pussy. I'm still coming to grips with the gay lesbian transexual stuff. ive done many a sex change in my younger years but never went all the way you can say. im trying to learn more about your culture though. biggity ups y'all

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2020, 07:20:43 PM »
There is nothing better than a room full of people who don’t fit in.  Whether you want to meet people or just hang alone, best of both worlds. 
I just dropped in to get the gist of the convo And will go back to read up but he/him.
Also a question, I’m terrible with names and also pretty bad at remembering gender identities** that might defy what tradition had taught us so now I remember names way better because I find that a concrete way to call out the owner of the old ass spaghetti in the fridge.
That’s not to say that those identities are not to be respected.  They totally are, so rather than say “his Kickflips is so good” I would say “leo’s kickflips is so good” because I wouldn’t want to get that wrong.*

So the question is am I over or under thinking this?

*in my head I was imagining leo baker and I don’t really know what tricks leo baker actually does.  But that is another example.  I don’t actually know what Leo’s pronouns are, and I could have googled it(yes?) but that is how I would rolled without knowing concretely. 
**when made known to me.  Obviously I’m a dumbass white 40 something without instagram but I have an open heart, raised by a lesbian, so if this post seemed in jest or less than sincere I apologize it definitely is, and is without hate or prejudice. 

Edit 2. In the kickflips example I was speaking as as if I was talking to my friends and was pretty sure I read that was Leo’s pronoun.   The star is how I would speak when it was absolutely important for my message not to be lost in identifying someone incorrectly or being thought of as disrespectful
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 07:29:23 PM by Telly »

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -65
  • ???
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2020, 07:51:51 PM »
hi lmk if you're in toronto I wanna film !

loving this thread

Mongoloid

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2020, 08:03:04 PM »
Haven’t been posting as much lately due to really focusing on my mental health and other big projects.
Love my slap fam!

Get well soon man! I’m looking forward to more clips of your skating!

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2020, 08:52:11 PM »
Funny how skateboarding is so exclusive yet totally open to individuality.
Real recognize real.

theblandest

• Rep: 12
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2020, 08:53:26 PM »
Stoked for everyone in this thread.

Straight white male, full disclosure.

This morning, I met a trans woman at the skatepark in the early part of the day. She started school in Fall 2019 and prefers to skate early to avoid crowds. I thought she meant to be at less risk of covid infection like I was, but she told me that she had a poor experience with some of the local kids when she first moved here. Figured a college town would be more open-minded, but it is smack in the middle of Trump-fields Ohio. Anyway, the session was great and I made a new friend. I'm hoping the weather holds out for Sunday because we're supposed to meet up at our local DIY. I'm hoping more LBGTQIA and ally skaters pop up soon in my area. If you're in NW Ohio and SE MI let me know! Hunter, I hope you get to read this. Thank you for the awesome session this morning!

Control

• Rep: 9
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2020, 10:56:27 PM »
41yo gay guy in Texas. Skating 30 years. Long time lurker, but stoked on this thread. Gonna vent a little:

Even with the macho setting, skating was always my safe space, especially growing up in the 90s. I lived in MD/DC which at the time was a melting pot of emerging scenes—Fugazi and post hardcore, DC Go-go, ravers, Baltimore club.. so much shit was happening. Golden-era spots like Pulaski, Landsdowne, Towson courthouse were just being born. Those scenes brought all walks of life together and skaters were a common thread through all of it.

I wasn't out then, but skating's status as the underdog pulled me in. I knew I was "other" and if I had to pick a group to identify with, skaters had the most open minds at the time. At least in the MD/VA/DC scene, the cliche was true: "it didn't matter who you were—if you skated, you were in."

The whole time I knew the industry (and the world at large) wouldn't be ready for anything gay anytime soon, no matter how good of a skater I was. We're talking before "Will'n'Grace", before any representation anywhere besides the art and DIY music scene. But I knew there were other gay skaters. And it was really cold knowing I'd never meet them. My life moved on, and I came out in 2004. And like I knew it would, my close skate community (in Texas of all places) did not turn their backs.

The young queer kids today making things happen, they're making that dream come true for me and countless others. It feels like those early days when the joy of fucking skating itself—not stacking clips—drove us all to unite and roam the streets together.

Shout out to Jarrett Berry, Kunle IRAK, Sam McGuire and Yann Horoblitz for being beacons of what was to come. And thank you BA, fucking ARIN, There, Unity and Glue for pushing us forward.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2020, 01:48:37 AM »
This is the coolest thread ever

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2020, 03:08:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Love my slap fam!
[close]

Get well soon man! I’m looking forward to more clips of your skating!
@mongloid ill throw some catch up clips just for you over in the “post yourself skating thread”
Thanks for the encouragement!