Author Topic: queer skaters talking about queer shit  (Read 140723 times)

squippy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -65
Re: queer skaters talking about queer shit
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2020, 03:59:57 AM »
Conservative Straight Male here who just wants to say we (conservatives) all support LBGTQ rights and the community at large. I sometimes get bummed @ some of the stereotyping that goes on here about people with a certain political affiliation and want to set the record straight. Live your best life, and be good to people. Karma takes care of the rest.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2020, 04:14:11 AM »
41yo gay guy in Texas. Skating 30 years. Long time lurker, but stoked on this thread. Gonna vent a little:

Even with the macho setting, skating was always my safe space, especially growing up in the 90s. I lived in MD/DC which at the time was a melting pot of emerging scenes—Fugazi and post hardcore, DC Go-go, ravers, Baltimore club.. so much shit was happening. Golden-era spots like Pulaski, Landsdowne, Towson courthouse were just being born. Those scenes brought all walks of life together and skaters were a common thread through all of it.

I wasn't out then, but skating's status as the underdog pulled me in. I knew I was "other" and if I had to pick a group to identify with, skaters had the most open minds at the time. At least in the MD/VA/DC scene, the cliche was true: "it didn't matter who you were—if you skated, you were in."

The whole time I knew the industry (and the world at large) wouldn't be ready for anything gay anytime soon, no matter how good of a skater I was. We're talking before "Will'n'Grace", before any representation anywhere besides the art and DIY music scene. But I knew there were other gay skaters. And it was really cold knowing I'd never meet them. My life moved on, and I came out in 2004. And like I knew it would, my close skate community (in Texas of all places) did not turn their backs.

The young queer kids today making things happen, they're making that dream come true for me and countless others. It feels like those early days when the joy of fucking skating itself—not stacking clips—drove us all to unite and roam the streets together.

Shout out to Jarrett Berry, Kunle IRAK, Sam McGuire and Yann Horoblitz for being beacons of what was to come. And thank you BA, fucking ARIN, There, Unity and Glue for pushing us forward.

I sometimes forget that fucking Will and Grace of all shows had a genuine cultural impact.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2020, 07:51:33 AM »
I brought refreshments.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

BroBruhBra

• Rep: -20
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2020, 08:04:24 AM »
Anyone ever go on the Conservative Subreddit? I've been checking it out because I want to see their thoughts on the alleged election fraud. Anyhow, I've come to learn that they're OBSESSED with Transgender people. It's not uncommon to see a post about TG people on their page in support of the idea that being TG means you have a mental disorder, and the comments are hateful as fuck. It's so strange, and the concentration of it leads me to believe that a lot of their browsing histories probably have some fabulous pictures of my sisters, haha.

At this point I think the Republicans should be considered a hate group. Roger Stone once said candidly in an interview that you can inspire people with hate more than love, and that's what they do. It's so obvious to me that politics is more about herding people than solving problems, and it kind of kills me that these people are so susceptible to propaganda and are entirely unwilling to read other viewpoints or ideas to compare and contrast and learn from.

I'm probably preaching to the choir, but jesus fucking Christ.....

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2020, 09:26:52 AM »
Anyone ever go on the Conservative Subreddit? I've been checking it out because I want to see their thoughts on the alleged election fraud. Anyhow, I've come to learn that they're OBSESSED with Transgender people. It's not uncommon to see a post about TG people on their page in support of the idea that being TG means you have a mental disorder, and the comments are hateful as fuck. It's so strange, and the concentration of it leads me to believe that a lot of their browsing histories probably have some fabulous pictures of my sisters, haha.

At this point I think the Republicans should be considered a hate group. Roger Stone once said candidly in an interview that you can inspire people with hate more than love, and that's what they do. It's so obvious to me that politics is more about herding people than solving problems, and it kind of kills me that these people are so susceptible to propaganda and are entirely unwilling to read other viewpoints or ideas to compare and contrast and learn from.

All’s I can say is, the greatest lesson I’ve learned in my 44 years of life is that it’s ok to not understand someone else, to be comfortable saying “I don’t know.” Maybe I’m not the ally that’s needed, but when I hear someone talking about gender fluidity or a similar concept I can’t wrap my head around as a straight white dude, it’s better to just ask “what can I do to help” instead of trying to make someone explain their existence to me. Big love to everybody helping instead of hurting.

BroBruhBra

« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2020, 09:38:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

All’s I can say is, the greatest lesson I’ve learned in my 44 years of life is that it’s ok to not understand someone else, to be comfortable saying “I don’t know.” Maybe I’m not the ally that’s needed, but when I hear someone talking about gender fluidity or a similar concept I can’t wrap my head around as a straight white dude, it’s better to just ask “what can I do to help” instead of trying to make someone explain their existence to me. Big love to everybody helping instead of hurting.

Totally healthy. Something that has been coming up a lot lately across all sorts of media sources is that it's ok to disagree. Not everything I life is a team sport, win or lose, I'm right you're wrong kind of thing. I just can't back the aggression behind any of this, and with the Republicans this attitude of hate is far from exclusive to one party.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2020, 11:03:13 AM »
Conservative Straight Male here who just wants to say we (conservatives) all support LBGTQ rights and the community at large. I sometimes get bummed @ some of the stereotyping that goes on here about people with a certain political affiliation and want to set the record straight. Live your best life, and be good to people. Karma takes care of the rest.

Conservative family values and resulting policies are deeply homophobic and transphobic so I am afraid karma will not play out in your favor. You are a long way from setting the record queer.

BroBruhBra

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2020, 11:16:53 AM »
I want to refine my thought a bit about disagreeing.... I don't think it's right to tell anyone how to think. And unfortunately, if you think terrible things you have the right to. However, the expression and actions that may follow are what need to be curbed if they're outwardly harmful. Just how I don't want people to say mean things about trans culture, I need to respect that I can't shit on someone for saying that they don't understand it. I struggle with this with one of my parents, who is trying, and I'm lucky that they want to have the conversation and learn. However, they do not get it. Despite that we still get together and talk whenever we can and have fun with each other. I just wish that other people who felt like that were willing to be ok with not understanding and being open.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2020, 11:17:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Conservative family values and resulting policies are deeply homophobic and transphobic so I am afraid karma will not play out in your favor. You are a long way from setting the record queer.

I really like your avatar

Mongoloid

« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2020, 11:36:39 AM »

That’s one of the places I go when I wanna see exactly what an alternate reality looks like.

It’s also strange how so many people support a party that offers literally no concessions to those that vote for it, and actively hurts them directly.

BroBruhBra

« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2020, 11:40:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That’s one of the places I go when I wanna see exactly what an alternate reality looks like.

It’s also strange how so many people support a party that offers literally no concessions to those that vote for it, and actively hurts them directly.

My father is pretty sound when it comes to his political commentary, and I'll never forget him saying that the people who voted for Trump would be hurt most by him.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2020, 12:09:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I really like your avatar

Cheers! It’s an instruction piece by Yoko Ono. Published, among many others, in her book Grapefruit.

Mongoloid

« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2020, 12:10:29 PM »
@BroBruhBra

Your father is 100% correct, but as long as it’s hurting the other side then they feel as though they’re “winning”.

The truth is that we all want the same things out of life. Others want that with a side of denying others those same rights.

I should add that I as a straight white male am not really the most masculine individual. I don’t fit the emotional stereotypes that come with being a “man”, and I often don’t connect with those that do. Whenever I go out to shows, or wherever I find myself, I often end up meeting and connecting with members of the gay community. My best friend right now is a lesbian girl I skate with, and I really genuinely love her in a very deep meaningful way.

I hope if I should ever have the privilege of meeting any of you through the medium of skating, that I project that of an individual with an open heart, and I can make you feel safe in my company.

BroBruhBra

« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2020, 12:12:50 PM »
@BroBruhBra

Your father is 100% correct, but as long as it’s hurting the other side then they feel as though they’re “winning”.

The truth is that we all want the same things out of life. Others want that with a side of denying others those same rights.

I should add that I as a straight white male am not really the most masculine individual. I don’t fit the emotional stereotypes that come with being a “man”, and I often don’t connect with those that do. Whenever I go out to shows, or wherever I find myself, I often end up meeting and connecting with members of the gay community. My best friend right now is a lesbian girl I skate with, and I really genuinely love her in a very deep meaningful way.

I hope if I should ever have the privilege of meeting any of you through the medium of skating, that I project that of an individual with an open heart, and I can make you feel safe in my company.

You are a kind and beautiful soul and I'm sure you would exude all of that without a single word <3

Mongoloid

« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2020, 12:16:28 PM »
@BroBruhBra

Thank you, that’s very kind and sweet! <3

Tireeedd

• Rep: 27
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2020, 12:18:45 PM »
Madison, WI bi skater dude checking in

I am not very good at skating but some of my friends are very good at skating

Marbie is my homegirl/roommate, trying to get things done with the last who knows number of days of okay weather

Hiii Preston!!! I'm friends with Lyle and Goblin + know Jeffery from when he lived in San Diego

Baby on Board

• Rep: 33
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2020, 12:21:57 PM »
Closeted bi male here; In a very stable wonderful relationship with a beautiful woman. I’m open with few besides her. However;

I love all of you in here and you all fucking matter. Really amazing to see how many gays and gals use this place as an outlet. Living in the southern United States is a fucking trip right now and all of this localized hate is ridiculous. Can’t wait until we can all just transcend into a new way of thinking, where we let people be people and mind our own business.

Anyway I’m stoned and ranting.

Love you all <3333

cky enthusiast

« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2020, 03:01:12 PM »
@BroBruhBra

i feel this. big up

Panettone

« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2020, 03:22:58 PM »
I brought refreshments.

What is the brown object between the coffee ?

Grind King Rims

« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2020, 01:08:42 AM »
Oh that's a table. Sometimes, but not all the time, we use it with things to put.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2020, 01:09:29 AM »
Nah, only messing. That's most definitely an American doughnut. Maybe un-flavoured, maybe cinnamon.

Panettone

« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2020, 01:26:36 AM »
Nah, only messing. That's most definitely an American doughnut. Maybe un-flavoured, maybe cinnamon.

Thank you

otherside

• Rep: 14
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2020, 07:28:11 AM »
I’ll add my 2p worth. 40 something gay man in the UK here, still occasionally push around on a skateboard for a bit when my creaking joints can handle it, then when I can’t get any tricks back I usually give up and go to the pub.

Like others I grew up as a teenager feeling like I was literally the only queer person wasting their life on a skateboard, so the increased visibility of queers in skateboarding in recent years has been pretty amazing to see. I’m of an age where I’m long past needing queer skate crews and the like to feel ok about myself but there’s a lot of kids out there trying to figure themselves who I’m sure see the visibility of crews like Unity is an absolute lifeline; so more power to them.

I would push back a bit about the idea of token LGBT+ people on more general skate companies as opposed to dedicated queer skate companies - I’m old enough to remember companies like AntiHero being the last people I ever expected to be really supporting of queer folk within skating. The sort of kids that obsessed over those companies when we were all teenagers where the ones most likely to say casually homophobic bullshit, and were the ones I ended up having the most awkward conversations where they tried to apologise after I came out. All these years later seeing companies like Antihero supporting LGBT+ skaters was genuinely encouraging to middle aged folks like me.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 07:42:28 AM by otherside »

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2020, 08:10:21 AM »
I grew up with a dad who was a successful high school football coach and knew that's what my dad wanted me to get into as a young kid.  There was a palpable expectation in my family.  I was always athletic and always played sports but knew from a VERY young age that I was gay af and certainly different than my peers internally. I particularly LOATHED authority and direction from anyone and everyone. (That kind of personality trait doesn't translate well to organized sports...)

I moved towns at age 10 and bought a skateboard after seeing Ryan Sheckler win the x games that summer at the ripe age of 13.  I was simply inspired.  From there it opened doors to skate videos, Thrasher mag, skateboardrumors.com, etc.

Like someone said earlier in the thread, I knew that no one would be cool with me being gay, my family included...but I also knew that skateboarding offered an "otherness" where I could listen to weird music, wear wild clothes, and focus my attention on something that wasn't what was being "forced" on me or expected of me. It was a space where I could have SOME semblance of individuality in a culture where anyone outside the norm was a freak.

Sometimes I think I started skating for that very reason.  It was a place to focus all of my attention and frustration with my situation on MY terms.  No practices, games, coaches, expectations.  It was something that was solely mine.

I've been out for a while but am finally starting to come out to an entire skate scene in a big city and the response has been nothing but kindness and love.

I still hear some horrifically gay slurs and homophobic bullshit at the skatepark but tbh I know it's just something that will be there for only a few more years.  Shit is changing

It's an exciting time to be a skateboarder and to be honest and an even more exciting time to be gay. 

Love this thread so much.

otherside

« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2020, 08:43:56 AM »

I still hear some horrifically gay slurs and homophobic bullshit at the skatepark but tbh I know it's just something that will be there for only a few more years.  Shit is changing

This is the one thing I'm not so optimistic about. Things have changed, and will continue to get better in that regard. But, the reality is that skateboarding has always (and will continue to for a good while yet) revolved around adolescent boys. And adolescent boys are, objectively awful.

As an old man, my teenage years involved pretty much every kid I skated with either fantasising that they skated for Antihero or Menace. So admittedly it was a pretty bad time in terms of macho posturing and all the bullshit that comes with that, but being a teenage boy comes with so much anxiety about fitting that I think there will always be a whole world of stupid stuff that people have to deal with.

From this vantage point I can look back at how we all were as teenagers and see it as something that generally everyone grew out of. I'm still friends with most of the people I skated with then, and 20 years later the dudes who desperately tried to act like they were James Kelch or whoever have grown into lovely adults who dutifully post on social media in support of gay rights, and buy their kids feminist children's books. But they sure as hell weren't like that when we were all 16 years old.

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2020, 10:00:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is the one thing I'm not so optimistic about. Things have changed, and will continue to get better in that regard. But, the reality is that skateboarding has always (and will continue to for a good while yet) revolved around adolescent boys. And adolescent boys are, objectively awful.

As an old man, my teenage years involved pretty much every kid I skated with either fantasising that they skated for Antihero or Menace. So admittedly it was a pretty bad time in terms of macho posturing and all the bullshit that comes with that, but being a teenage boy comes with so much anxiety about fitting that I think there will always be a whole world of stupid stuff that people have to deal with.

From this vantage point I can look back at how we all were as teenagers and see it as something that generally everyone grew out of. I'm still friends with most of the people I skated with then, and 20 years later the dudes who desperately tried to act like they were James Kelch or whoever have grown into lovely adults who dutifully post on social media in support of gay rights, and buy their kids feminist children's books. But they sure as hell weren't like that when we were all 16 years old.

I understand your skepticism but if you look gen z kids on tik tok, insta, etc. LGBT acceptance is really really embraced.  Your point about it being inherently within teenage boys to distance themselves from "gayness" or "softness" and other unsavory teenage boy social behavior could truly always be there.  But I think the degree at which this distancing happens is really getting smaller with Gen Z and younger.

otherside

« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2020, 01:38:40 AM »

I understand your skepticism but if you look gen z kids on tik tok, insta, etc. LGBT acceptance is really really embraced.  Your point about it being inherently within teenage boys to distance themselves from "gayness" or "softness" and other unsavory teenage boy social behavior could truly always be there.  But I think the degree at which this distancing happens is really getting smaller with Gen Z and younger.

Yeah you're right, it's definitely moving in a positive direction, and I hope history proves me to be completely unfounded in my skepticism. I just work of the assumption that adolescent boys will always be complete dickheads. I was a total dick at that age, and I'm convinced that generations after me will carry on that tradition...

goldfishboot

• Rep: 144
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2020, 01:38:07 PM »
who's everyone particularly stoked on right now? I think Akobi that person associated with the Melodi crew or whatever is fuckin sick, their insta is banging

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2020, 10:28:43 PM »
I’m excited for the there video.
I wonder who’s gonna have full parts

Marbies podcast interview was pretty cool. Didn’t know much about her before I listened

nothing's been the since same

GAYBUTCANTHEELFLIP

• Rep: 4
« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2020, 11:07:17 PM »
Bay Area Gay skater boy sayin hi! Been lurking slap for years, hyped to see more threads like this popping up.
Always looking for queers to skate with in the bay too!