Author Topic: queer skaters talking about queer shit  (Read 140724 times)

Banging in the Slammer

Re: queer skaters talking about queer shit
« Reply #150 on: June 15, 2021, 06:23:48 AM »
Just wanted to say, I love you guys.

I can’t believe what a 180 Slap and skateboarding has had. Homophobia was so fucking ingrained in skate culture, it made me absolutely loath myself. It’s been hard getting over it. I don’t tell people I’m gay when they assume I’m straight. Self acceptance is so hard, I avoid mirrors and find it difficult maintaining eye contact with people I love. I’m a fucking mess, growing up homeschooled and in an evangelical house didn’t help. Slowly feeling better about life. Before I just wanted to die.

Just wanted to say thank you to those braver than me. <3

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #151 on: June 15, 2021, 09:21:31 AM »

I can’t believe what a 180 Slap and skateboarding has had. Homophobia was so fucking ingrained in skate culture, it made me absolutely loath myself. It’s been hard getting over it. I don’t tell people I’m gay when they assume I’m straight. Self acceptance is so hard, I avoid mirrors and find it difficult maintaining eye contact with people I love. I’m a fucking mess, growing up homeschooled and in an evangelical house didn’t help. Slowly feeling better about life. Before I just wanted to die.

thank you for joining the boards

a  warm hearted welcome and shalom!

Banging in the Slammer

« Reply #152 on: June 15, 2021, 09:47:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

thank you for joining the boards

a  warm hearted welcome and shalom!

Thank you and shalom!  :)

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #153 on: June 15, 2021, 01:52:14 PM »

Welcome! Also if you ever wanna unpack some of that Christian bullshit, feel free to drop into the exvangelical thread where we rant about the trash they tried to push on us and remind each other that just because some doofus pastor said we're going to hell, doesn't make it true!

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #154 on: June 15, 2021, 02:01:41 PM »
really glad this thread exists, hope it makes it to 100.

"with a bit of luck..."

https://youtu.be/8lFE02apJBQ?t=31
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 02:09:03 PM by botefdunn »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #155 on: June 15, 2021, 06:58:24 PM »
Skateboarding is way ahead of surfing in terms of inclusivity these days. I know we have a way to go but just don't be like (some of) those guys...

As someone who works with a lot of vulnerable queer and trans kids, I see how crucial these steps toward open-mindedness, acceptances and inclusivity really are, for people to feel more comfortable, confident and safe being their true selves.  Happy Pride, everyone.

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #156 on: June 15, 2021, 07:45:58 PM »
this is a completely random comment but...

growing up as a gay skater from 2003 to now and not coming out till 2014, i can't explain how exciting it is to be a visible, out skateboarder during this time. 

we're the cool kids now and it feels so damn good.  also just to be an out person in my community and having other kids see me rip and hear that I'm a big giant faguette is fucking powerful.

i hope to hell that I can have even just ONE positive effect on a kid whos struggling. 

i love this thread and I love you all.

abortnow

• Rep: 5
    • Rob Wootton The Keepers | TransWorld SKATEboarding avatar image
« Reply #157 on: June 15, 2021, 08:50:01 PM »
Love reading everyone's experiences. seriously, thank you. Like so many of you growing up in the same era as me and earlier, I had to leave the skate community and all those friends behind before I could even begin to feel accepted for who I am. I still skated all the time, but it became a totally solitary thing and I stopped reading the mags, would NEVER go to the skatepark, and would avoid other skarters, because I just did not feel welcome AT ALL based on the way it was when I left. That's just how I thought it'd be forever and I accepted it. That is until BA came out, that's when everything started to change for me as well. I was so inspired by that and the response he got and slowly started dipping my toe back in. Now here I am today, right back where I was in 2000, talking to other skaters on the internet, reading interviews and articles, but not having to worry about closeminded attitudes being the accepted norm. Also going to the park every day with a great group of homies who are genuine, supportive and loving. I never thought I'd see the day. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 10:29:01 PM by abortnow »

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #158 on: June 15, 2021, 10:11:56 PM »
I’m the B in the LGB, and my dating life sucks because of it…

That's a shame you experience discrimination for being bi.

However any reason why you left the T off of LGBT?

Banging in the Slammer

« Reply #159 on: June 16, 2021, 07:44:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They’re a troll who was previously banned. They threatened the mods that they were going to kill themselves if the mods didn’t unban their old account. Really ironic name.

I’ve been reading the exvangelical thread you recommended. You’re right, it feels so cathartic :)

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #160 on: June 16, 2021, 07:49:33 PM »
Why isn't this thread pinned?

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #161 on: June 16, 2021, 10:50:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They’re a troll who was previously banned. They threatened the mods that they were going to kill themselves if the mods didn’t unban their old account. Really ironic name.

I’ve been reading the exvangelical thread you recommended. You’re right, it feels so cathartic :)

Oh i figured they would get banned but i thought it was Kinder to try and have a dialog with them.

I'm glad you checked it out! Feel free to post if you feel comfortable enough to share with us! It's all love ❤️

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #162 on: June 17, 2021, 09:25:43 AM »
I wish I had more queer skate buds in Boston. Im ultra sick of people dropping f bombs then looking at me and being like fuck why did I just say that.

Do that shit in your head.

I don't be like oops I said something bad about breeders then be like oops. I own that shit
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

goldfishboot

• Rep: 144
« Reply #163 on: June 17, 2021, 10:11:45 AM »
I had a pretty powerful emotional reaction a couple months back after skating a DIY in a neighboring city with a larger skate scene than ours and saw the community there. There was no event going on, it was a pretty cold day even, and the place was bumping typically with all of these teenagers and young adults, many of whom appeared to be lgbtq and maybe 30 percent nonwhite. It was so colorful and cool to me that I didn't even skate that much, just looked around and thought about it - the skate scene I had when I was a kid and how it shaped me and how I might have been a vastly different person if I had that sort of atmosphere. So much less cynical, jaded, depressed.. I'm a really straight-passing masc dude and it made me think about how that likely is because I had to act that way through all my interactions in and out of skating in my formative years. I'm sure that scene isn't perfect, I know it isn't, assholes and drama and shit but I was just so struck by how truly valuable fostering a better, more accepting, more loving scene is. Growing up was really painful for me but it doesn't have to be so much for other people

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #164 on: June 17, 2021, 10:39:25 AM »
I had a pretty powerful emotional reaction a couple months back after skating a DIY in a neighboring city with a larger skate scene than ours and saw the community there. There was no event going on, it was a pretty cold day even, and the place was bumping typically with all of these teenagers and young adults, many of whom appeared to be lgbtq and maybe 30 percent nonwhite. It was so colorful and cool to me that I didn't even skate that much, just looked around and thought about it - the skate scene I had when I was a kid and how it shaped me and how I might have been a vastly different person if I had that sort of atmosphere. So much less cynical, jaded, depressed.. I'm a really straight-passing masc dude and it made me think about how that likely is because I had to act that way through all my interactions in and out of skating in my formative years. I'm sure that scene isn't perfect, I know it isn't, assholes and drama and shit but I was just so struck by how truly valuable fostering a better, more accepting, more loving scene is. Growing up was really painful for me but it doesn't have to be so much for other people

Don't think I have related to a post on SLAP more than I have related to this one. I had this exact same reaction when I went to Rockridge for the first time. This brings up something I read a week ago that put this feeling into words:

"Queer people don't grow up as ourselves, we grow up playing a version of ourselves that sacrifices authenticity to minimize humiliation & prejudice. The massive task of our adult lives is to unpick which parts of ourselves are truly us & which parts we've created to protect us."

goldfishboot

« Reply #165 on: June 17, 2021, 11:06:47 AM »
thank you for that quote

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #166 on: June 17, 2021, 06:03:00 PM »
I know I'm late, but Happy pride Pals!

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #167 on: June 18, 2021, 10:59:23 AM »
Last nights Lower Grand Radio show w/ Leo Banuelos and Marbie. It's a good one.  :)

https://mixlr.com/lower-grand-radio/showreel/leo-and-marbie-live-621

Cumsterfire

• Rep: 3
« Reply #168 on: June 19, 2021, 08:01:01 AM »
Mid 30’s guy here who self destructed out of “cool guy” skateboarding years ago. I see you all and you make skateboarding everything I wish it always was. It’s beautiful.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #169 on: June 20, 2021, 04:47:42 PM »
Wonder what the Zero team said

The Richie Jackson story lmao

I think marbies ender is gonna be at
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Good interview. Hyped for the there video. I need to listen to the live cher show.

Thanks for throwing up the link @ihatejulio

nothing's been the since same

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2021, 04:36:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Don't think I have related to a post on SLAP more than I have related to this one. I had this exact same reaction when I went to Rockridge for the first time. This brings up something I read a week ago that put this feeling into words:

"Queer people don't grow up as ourselves, we grow up playing a version of ourselves that sacrifices authenticity to minimize humiliation & prejudice. The massive task of our adult lives is to unpick which parts of ourselves are truly us & which parts we've created to protect us."

that reminds of something I heard on a podcast where the speaker was noting that every time he meets someone new it’s a choice whether to come out again

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2021, 07:21:16 AM »
hetero cis man and gay ally (at least for a friend or two).

love to see the direction skateboarding is going right now, hope it will reach us in Germany very soon. Arin, Marbie, BA, there, glue, unity and everyone else is killing it right. Unfortunately the queer products are not available over here, would love to rock it.

There are not too many open queer skaters here and I haven't heard about any special sessions people organize (there is something like a queer/female skate chat in Hamburg, which is a great start).

Super proud of all you guys talking openly about your situations. Hope everyone feels save, supported and accepted here!

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2021, 09:33:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

that reminds of something I heard on a podcast where the speaker was noting that every time he meets someone new it’s a choice whether to come out again
[close]

This to me is just adding weight to the silly theory that queer folk are “different” to everyone else.

And i just dont understand peoples feeling when interacting with others that what they enjoy emotionally or sexually is something that needs to be shared in social situations or at all ever. And sure the reply to that is, you dont understand. But im not completely straight at all. I rarely share this with people because, why would i need too. Ive interacted with people and im close friends with folks that im not entirely sure where they fall in their likes and interests. But at the same time, its entirely unimportant. I dont care. And if they felt it necessary to share what they like it would be weird to me purely because, its just an odd thing to feel you need share for some reason.

I just approach the world like i approach any interaction with someone. Who i like in the privacy of my own world isnt their business and people are almost totally unlikely to ask my sexuality because they probably dont really care or want to know or be akward enough to ask even if their morally opposed to it.

You arent different. You dont need to share it. If you dont need to share it, theres no reason to feel shame for it.

And theres an equally blunt approach by theamazingathiest who someone attempted to embarrass for enjoying sadomasochism and they posted some webcam footage of him online thats now been viewed by thousands.

His response was, why would i be embarrassed or care what you think, id rather they didnt share it with the world because its a dick move but... Its what i enjoy, its what i like doing, you wanna laugh at me for it go for gold, but i still think its the best and i like it.. Some people like playing tennis, laughing at them would be pointless, because theyd be like, uhh yeah… i really like tennis whats your dumb point.

YOU control how YOU feel. Someone only makes you feel bad yourself if you let them.

Too long didnt read right.
Where as I take your meaning, I can’t say that I’ve ever felt persecuted for my “likes/interests” because being into skating at my age, while potentially embarrassing, is not something that a powerful voting block views as antithetical to their outdated beliefs.
Now: imagine yourself out at the spot, and there’s a bunch of kids who, for whatever reason, are throwing around terms like “don’t be fag, land it,” and “that tre flip looked hell of gay” to each other. Did these kids ask you about your orientation first? How does hearing that make you feel? How might it make a fellow skater of the LGBTQ+ persuasion feel? It’s not like leaving the topic out of discussion makes the issue go away, and it’s not as if being queer is a like/interest that one chooses either. Don’t queer skaters deserve to shred w/o having to worry about about their mental/physical safety?
By opening the subject up for broader discussion, it becomes possible to open people’s minds as well.
Maybe those same kids at the session realize that they might have a friend is struggling with their sexuality & offer encouragement, and support, rather than casual epithets, and derogatory terms. Maybe somebody, even just ONE somebody’s life is improved.
Talking about queerness isn’t the problem, it’s NOT TALKING ABOUT IT that creates the problems.
Just this old dude’s take.
Shalom to all the LGBTQ+ PALS on here. Happy Pride month!

EDIT: this same logic ought to be applied to female skaters & our behavior, as well. We really DO need these discussions.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

LeoBanuelos

• Rep: 16
« Reply #173 on: June 22, 2021, 07:55:27 AM »
Hi everyone! Big lurker. Rare poster. Very gay. Very queer. Stoked to see all of you in here. Sending love from Seattle.

A lot of really great things have been happening in queer skateboarding and I want to chime in that MANY more exciting things are coming.

There full length video is coming out this year. Expect a full part from everybody :)

Glue is working on a video too!

Watch the Euro There video if ya haven’t!

Happy you’re all here<3

goldfishboot

« Reply #174 on: June 22, 2021, 11:01:10 AM »
big fan of everything you do Leo :) Marbie speaks very highly of you all the time and I've been watching a lot of your stuff lately for filming and editing inspo. Really hope your camera gear shows up :((

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #175 on: June 22, 2021, 02:21:28 PM »

going through the same thought process a lot these days... as someone who was outed as a kid in rural catholic bavaria and had a rough time accepting whatever my sexuality is now, i couldnt stand skate parks in the mid 90s-2000s, even though i tried to perform the "normal heterosexual indie kid". i'm so happy for everybody who can experience the bits of freedom we all celebrate these days – of course these bits are still way too small and the fight is far from over. often wonder how much different i would skate, look, live life if i hadn't been met with so much hostility and fucked up categories as a kid and teenager.

Spunkchild

• Rep: 38
  • Big gal
« Reply #176 on: June 22, 2021, 10:14:13 PM »
Hello, Update on slap queer super vid, I made a gmail @biggayslapvid, share your clips on google drive and I'll chop something up for next pride/whenever the consensus is for the deadline, lets git it goin yall!
I have bad taste and I smell like fetta cheese

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #177 on: June 22, 2021, 11:50:08 PM »
There video premier?

Plz

nothing's been the since same

donkey

• Rep: -65
  • donk
« Reply #178 on: June 23, 2021, 08:18:11 AM »
Hi everyone! Big lurker. Rare poster. Very gay. Very queer. Stoked to see all of you in here. Sending love from Seattle.

A lot of really great things have been happening in queer skateboarding and I want to chime in that MANY more exciting things are coming.

There full length video is coming out this year. Expect a full part from everybody :)

Glue is working on a video too!

Watch the Euro There video if ya haven’t!

Happy you’re all here<3
i remember coming to see your video premiere for machismo at the boardr like four years ago. one of my favorite filmmakers and i hope you get the money for your stuff soon

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #179 on: June 23, 2021, 08:46:32 AM »
Hello, Update on slap queer super vid, I made a gmail @biggayslapvid, share your clips on google drive and I'll chop something up for next pride/whenever the consensus is for the deadline, lets git it goin yall!

This sounds sick. I might get my queer ass out there to get some clips.