Author Topic: queer skaters talking about queer shit  (Read 140719 times)

jgonzalez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
Re: queer skaters talking about queer shit
« Reply #210 on: August 20, 2021, 02:48:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Anybody know a place in the bay area to drop off new/gently used skate gear specifically for LGBTQ and BIPOC skaters that either wanna start skating or need new gear? I wanna pass some gear along, and i think it would be nice to hook up queer skaters

Anybody have a program/event like that in their city?
[close]

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSxgwFcpusQ/

@jgonzalez
This is perfect for what you are looking for! Cheers to you.  :)

Thanks for the heads up @ihatejulio

I was gonna bring a couple of things to pass on

I think having a permanent place to drop off gear would be sick and I’m sure this would be great to happen in other towns as well. Kinda like a skate foodbank

nothing's been the since same

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #211 on: August 29, 2021, 11:26:23 AM »
This could probably go in the country thread but this song gave me some solidarity this morning so I figured I’d share it here
https://open.spotify.com/track/0ck73azfBLF1xygeuxEkyo?si=gQyFzCRdRH6aQOFBVGi6bg&dl_branch=1

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #212 on: August 31, 2021, 09:04:44 AM »
This could probably go in the country thread but this song gave me some solidarity this morning so I figured I’d share it here
https://open.spotify.com/track/0ck73azfBLF1xygeuxEkyo?si=gQyFzCRdRH6aQOFBVGi6bg&dl_branch=1

I just listened to it, what a great song

newguy

« Reply #213 on: September 12, 2021, 06:46:15 AM »
This thread is nice, shalom to all the queer homies skating right now

newguy

« Reply #214 on: September 15, 2021, 05:45:11 AM »
Coming back here because one of my friend, that i haven’t seen in a while is going to transition. I’m going to see him again soon, and I’ve just realised I knew nothing about it, and never talked about it with someone who identifies as such. Therefore I’d like to educate myself without reading misleading articles or straight up hatred disguised into data and fancy words. So any books, magazines or videos that yall think are relevant and well written are welcome! And again shalom to all queer skaters who are all waiting for more glue footage, I’m sure (I know I am  :D)

Budo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
    • So What is Skateboarding? avatar image
« Reply #215 on: September 17, 2021, 10:17:58 PM »
Non-binary here.

The queer journey can have many levels.  I explored my bi nature early on and never really denied it, but didn't claim it until later in my life.  On another angle, I was engaged to a woman that complained that I was too "girly" a decade ago, but I didn't fully grasp what she was meaning.

My hype on the queer skateboarding movement has always been so high, but strangely it was Star Trek that introduced me to a non-binary character that truly helped me realize my identity. Honestly I don't think I had ever had a clear definition of non-binary, but once I understood the concept it immediately altered my perception of myself.

And then I spent months with an awful internal self-denial and social-denial voice telling me, "No, you have a dick, your a man!"

I thank an ex for telling me after I came out to her, "I felt like that was how you always were."

Love and gratitude!
Keep Rolling!

sowhatskateboarding.com
@OuRoot

Banging in the Slammer

« Reply #216 on: September 18, 2021, 02:56:18 AM »
Coming back here because one of my friend, that i haven’t seen in a while is going to transition. I’m going to see him again soon, and I’ve just realised I knew nothing about it, and never talked about it with someone who identifies as such. Therefore I’d like to educate myself without reading misleading articles or straight up hatred disguised into data and fancy words. So any books, magazines or videos that yall think are relevant and well written are welcome! And again shalom to all queer skaters who are all waiting for more glue footage, I’m sure (I know I am  :D)

Janet Mock helped me wrap my head around transgender people. Her book Redefining Realness is a must read

She’s also amazingly brave and selfless. She was living stealth for years, but came out because she thought the community needed the voice of a black trans woman

newguy

« Reply #217 on: September 18, 2021, 07:32:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Janet Mock helped me wrap my head around transgender people. Her book Redefining Realness is a must read

She’s also amazingly brave and selfless. She was living stealth for years, but came out because she thought the community needed the voice of a black trans woman

Oh hey that’s a great recommendation, I guess that’s what intersectionality is? Like sexuality and ethnicity? I’m probably fumbling that up but thanks anyway, it’s a bit sad because trans rights activists are very active here yet when you ask em for books and material to read they point you to YouTube videos… Some of them are cool but I feel like reading trans authors does more for trans rights than watching some random straight girl with pink hair ramble about transgender oppression for 10 minutes  ;D Any other books you think are interesting and informative don’t hesitate to quote me and drop their titles!

Loki700

• Rep: 74
« Reply #218 on: September 24, 2021, 10:35:13 AM »
It's awesome that you want to support your friend and learn more about what they might be going through.

If you're up for reading study summaries (you have to pay for the full study) check out this one.  It more or less is data showing that transitioning greatly reduces anxiety and depression. 

Here's a lot of good info about how transitioning helps people.  It's not a topic that has been studied a ton until recently, and older studies were often inadequate and/or offensive, or outright exploitative. 

Luckily ENIGI and ENIGMA are changing that and are doing long term studies to determine what long term effects transitioning might have for different people, such as whether they more susceptible to certain type of cancer.  Treatment is usually based upon the judgement of the doctor and varies widely from doctor to doctor, with some avoiding treatments because they've been told it could increase the risk of say ovarian cancer if a trans man were to keep their ovaries and uterus, but there's no studies or data to actually back this up.  These two consortiums are hoping to actually gather the data so that we can know what treatments are safe and what treatments are risky, and overall provide more standardized methods of transitioning that can then be tailored to the individual based on the body of data.

If you're looking for more what some people have gone through, check out this article[url=http://and [url=https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/carolinekee/people-talk-about-transitioning-and-mental-health]this article] and [url=https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/carolinekee/people-talk-about-transitioning-and-mental-health]this article.  They cover the issues a lot of trans people have to deal with.  What's really awful in my opinion is that outside of the lack of acceptance from a large part of society, there are still 21 states in the US where you can be denied housing or be fired for being trans and really have no recourse.

Planned Parenthood has a lot of good information about the process.

As for how to behave with trans people, they're people, so treat them with the respect you would treat everyone with and don't ask about things you wouldn't ask anyone else about unless they've made it clear the subject is ok to bring up.  For more specific stuff, this article from Healthline covers a lot of that stuff, but I'll try to summarize it briefly.

Their gender is their own call and you should respect that and refer to them by that gender, including pronouns.  You should also not "deadname" them, or refer to them by their birth name/identity if they've taken on a new name.  If you slip up on either of these, just apologize, correct yourself, and move on.  As I touched on, don't ask improper questions that you might be curious about.  If you wouldn't ask a cisgender (people who identify as the gender they were assigned at birth) person the question, don't ask them either.  Don't refer to cisgender people as "real" or "normal".  Don't "out" them to someone else by deadnaming them or mentioning that they are trans.  Basically just treat them with respect.

There's plenty more information, but I think this is a good starting point.  I haven't read any books on the topic or I would suggest those as well.
teslas are the longboards of automobiles

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #219 on: October 04, 2021, 02:41:28 PM »
Gonna take a long shot here, but does anyone have any resources that helped them when they were working through their identity?

To briefly describe my situation: I'm AMAB and have been experiencing what I would tentatively classify as gender dysphoria periodically through my life, but with varying degrees of intensity and frequency. I'm not particularly unhappy with my body, or the way people address me, but referring to myself exclusively as "male" feels off. I feel like I have an okay grasp on my feelings, but growing up in a southern conservative family and being exposed to TERF rhetoric for the majority of my online experience have complicated the process of understanding them.

Thanks in advance for anyone that chimes in.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 961
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #220 on: October 05, 2021, 09:50:16 AM »

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Magnolia

• Rep: 412
  • She/They
« Reply #221 on: October 06, 2021, 08:03:55 AM »
Gonna take a long shot here, but does anyone have any resources that helped them when they were working through their identity?

To briefly describe my situation: I'm AMAB and have been experiencing what I would tentatively classify as gender dysphoria periodically through my life, but with varying degrees of intensity and frequency. I'm not particularly unhappy with my body, or the way people address me, but referring to myself exclusively as "male" feels off. I feel like I have an okay grasp on my feelings, but growing up in a southern conservative family and being exposed to TERF rhetoric for the majority of my online experience have complicated the process of understanding them.

Thanks in advance for anyone that chimes in.
Finding a queer-friendly therapist would probably be really useful. If your insurance doesn't cover it, many have an income-based sliding scale for payment.
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

eggandchain

• Rep: 2
« Reply #222 on: October 06, 2021, 12:41:08 PM »

Finding a queer-friendly therapist would probably be really useful. If your insurance doesn't cover it, many have an income-based sliding scale for payment.
[/quote]

from my experience going through student ran programs is your best bet if you are going that route.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #223 on: October 07, 2021, 02:29:35 PM »
Thanks for the input both of you. I don't know why I never thought to just talk to a therapist, but I guess that's the american in me. I'm living abroad right now, so I'm not sure the odds of finding someone who'll practice in english and is explicitly queer friendly, but I'll definitely give it a shot.

Noioso

• Rep: 90
  • "For me it's crazy like"
« Reply #224 on: October 07, 2021, 08:16:38 PM »
Thanks for the input both of you. I don't know why I never thought to just talk to a therapist, but I guess that's the american in me. I'm living abroad right now, so I'm not sure the odds of finding someone who'll practice in english and is explicitly queer friendly, but I'll definitely give it a shot.

If you're okay with a virtual visit, a lot more therapists are remote-friendly since the pandemic. Here is one of the first links I found offering Queer therapist with a sliding scale that also offer remote appointments - https://www.therapyforqpoc.com/find-a-therapist#!directory/xts=Online%20Services/lbl=&&&5d24a21ef033bffd02f67ee7

This is another one, but it really isn't that cheap at $60-$90 a week.  For reference, I paid $15-$20 in SF. - https://www.pridecounseling.com/

I specifically asked for a therapist who was a gay man and I was lucky to be paired with someone who I immediately clicked with. The only thing that could have maybe made it better was if they were not white because there were very slight cultural differences. With therapy, I think it's important to try to find someone who you feel comfortable with and who you feel understands where you are coming from. Your experiences are unique but there are definitely shared experiences and I think it helps you build trust with them faster if you can identify with your therapist. Give it time, but definitely trust your instincts after a couple of sessions and bounce if you're not feeling them.

At first, I was super skeptical I'd get any use out of it but I quickly changed my opinion. I went for two years and I know wouldn't be where I am today without it.  I recommend it to anyone who will listen.

Good luck to you!
"So, you want to follow the nuge, get a good feeble, a nice ollie, an excellent lipside, maybe a tolerable down love and become known for your outstanding kick flip el toro? Become a regular visitor at our skate parks. Righteous."

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #225 on: October 10, 2021, 07:45:42 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CUxn7kUr3vW/?utm_medium=copy_link
I hope everyone in here (including myself) finds the safety and strength to live as authenticity as you desire. Nothing but love Pals!

eggandchain

• Rep: 2
« Reply #226 on: October 13, 2021, 09:01:18 AM »
im gay

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #227 on: October 14, 2021, 04:37:23 PM »
im transitioning and trying out names rn. kinda liking lucy so ive been using it for stuff here and there. the other night i had to give a name for a reservation. "lucy" i said, but for some reason he needed a last name. i froze and all my brain could spit out was "Lucy Barletta"

it has a certain ring to it 🤔

moths

• Rep: 3
« Reply #228 on: October 15, 2021, 12:46:38 AM »
enby bb checking in from chicago, there's one last froskate for the rest of the year~ come on out if you'd like

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #229 on: October 15, 2021, 04:12:44 AM »
im transitioning and trying out names rn. kinda liking lucy so ive been using it for stuff here and there. the other night i had to give a name for a reservation. "lucy" i said, but for some reason he needed a last name. i froze and all my brain could spit out was "Lucy Barletta"

;D

lucy is really nice

wishing you a smooth transition!

Magnolia

• Rep: 412
  • She/They
« Reply #230 on: October 16, 2021, 07:40:34 AM »
How would yinz feel about using this thread to promote different queer skate meet-ups? If there's one happening locally we could drop it in this thread in case anyone else lurking is interested
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • no not never. looser.
« Reply #231 on: October 16, 2021, 09:54:16 AM »
How would yinz feel about using this thread to promote different queer skate meet-ups? If there's one happening locally we could drop it in this thread in case anyone else lurking is interested

Post it

Spunkchild

• Rep: 38
  • Big gal
« Reply #232 on: October 16, 2021, 10:19:51 AM »

sounds like a great idea,

still got the email going @biggayslapvid, if anyone is as interested as me to film a small part and make something.
I have bad taste and I smell like fetta cheese

hustleknocker

• Rep: -10
« Reply #233 on: October 18, 2021, 07:51:02 AM »
wassup. old trans woman in NC. haven't skated in a bit due to knee trouble. checking in on this beautiful web 1.0 relic. glad to see now even "LGBT" persons can participate in this imperialist cesspool industry!

Noioso

• Rep: 90
  • "For me it's crazy like"
« Reply #234 on: October 20, 2021, 06:30:54 PM »
Fake There TM here. Marbie just dropped a new part, and it's really sick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKfllNglvrM
"So, you want to follow the nuge, get a good feeble, a nice ollie, an excellent lipside, maybe a tolerable down love and become known for your outstanding kick flip el toro? Become a regular visitor at our skate parks. Righteous."

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #235 on: October 20, 2021, 09:08:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
;D

lucy is really nice

wishing you a smooth transition!
<3 appreciate it.

Mentioned in the other thread I started a new job this week where I get to be out, but I haven’t settled on a name yet so I’m still using the old one. On my first day I was like 60% sure I recognized the person who was training me from bumble but she didn’t seem to so I just forgot about it. Today she had the aux cord and was playing a bunch of classic rock shit. She seems pretty introverted but at one point came over and sang along to the chorus of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, just once, and didnt sing along to anything else. Don’t know them well but it seemed out of character enough that I’m pretty sure they recognized me lol

Sunnyman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #236 on: October 24, 2021, 03:27:45 AM »
Asexual pan-romantic cis male skate noob over here. Would be cool to see who identifies as ace over here?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #237 on: October 24, 2021, 05:13:12 AM »
Asexual pan-romantic cis male skate noob over here. Would be cool to see who identifies as ace over here?
sort of. i guess i'm more demi though. i don't care for sex or have any drive for it, unless i'm already crazy about someone. i'm probably pan romantic, too. so i'd say if i really, really like someone, it's possible to get in the groove and have a sex life almost normal, but outside of a relationship or whenever i don't really know the person, there is zero interest from my side. so basically it's impossible to have a one night stand with me or a casual thing, it would be too frustrating for the other person. whenever i start dating it takes a long ass time for things to get serious, too, and i often friendzoned myself, and mostly i'm fine with that.

i seem to have a knack for introducing future couples to each other, or people that end up hooking up the same night, though.

also, welcome.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • no not never. looser.
« Reply #238 on: October 28, 2021, 01:47:52 PM »

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #239 on: October 28, 2021, 06:03:52 PM »
I've been living in a new state for a few years and recently made a trip home where I saw all my friends that I grew up with (none of them I've told I'm bi as fuck.) Well, they all ended up being cool as shit about it when it came up naturally in a conversation and I had nothing to worry about. I should have expected this, but no one even batted an eye, maybe it was more obvious than I thought all of those years.