Author Topic: queer skaters talking about queer shit  (Read 140729 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
Re: queer skaters talking about queer shit
« Reply #330 on: November 09, 2022, 02:41:25 AM »
Kindness, particularly in a situation that feels threatening, is such a gift.

I know this might be a bit of a stretch, but for me it's not at all: when I came to SLAP and started posting openly about my sexuality, I was sort of caught off guard by the kindness that was extended to me by FAR more people than those who were hostile. Of course the hostility often gets the attention because it's hard to take, but I've discussed on here a ton about how awesome folks were.

I think in general more people are kind and good...but the nasty fuckers suck all the air out of the room and basically ruin it for everybody.

edit: lol I just got scolded by SLAP for trying to gnar you more than twice in a 24 hour period @IpathCats
Will gnar again someday soon!!!

@GAY i was talking to one of the employees at Kingswell the other day who lurks on here and they said you’re one of their favorites.    I mentioned that I think you said you’ve been there and he was pretty stoked on that

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3290
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #331 on: November 09, 2022, 09:55:33 AM »
Expand Quote

I know this might be a bit of a stretch, but for me it's not at all: when I came to SLAP and started posting openly about my sexuality, I was sort of caught off guard by the kindness that was extended to me by FAR more people than those who were hostile. Of course the hostility often gets the attention because it's hard to take, but I've discussed on here a ton about how awesome folks were.

I think in general more people are kind and good...but the nasty fuckers suck all the air out of the room and basically ruin it for everybody.

edit: lol I just got scolded by SLAP for trying to gnar you more than twice in a 24 hour period @IpathCats
[close]

@GAY i was talking to one of the employees at Kingswell the other day who lurks on here and they said you’re one of their favorites.    I mentioned that I think you said you’ve been there and he was pretty stoked on that

ha! I'm honored! That's rad. I used to live right by the Kingswell, and I'm from Albuquerque so I've had a nice connection with Mr. Chavez even though I didn't know him from there. Anyway, you made my day AA.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #332 on: November 09, 2022, 11:11:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

ha! I'm honored! That's rad. I used to live right by the Kingswell, and I'm from Albuquerque so I've had a nice connection with Mr. Chavez even though I didn't know him from there. Anyway, you made my day AA.

He was happy to know you started posting again

Kanteen Russell

• Rep: -72
« Reply #333 on: November 12, 2022, 06:10:05 PM »
Any queer skaters here in the Philadelphia area? My boyfriend and I are thinking of relocating soon. Wonder if LGBTQIA scene + skate scene sees any overlap  in the city o brotherly love 8)

Lisa96

« Reply #334 on: November 21, 2022, 07:31:53 AM »
heartbroken

Lisa96

« Reply #335 on: November 21, 2022, 07:35:12 AM »
later, SLAP. it's been fun. i need to focus on my mental health. *mods please focus my account

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #336 on: December 20, 2022, 04:53:34 PM »
Hoping everybody has a safe and happy holiday with your family, chosen or blood. <3

Noioso

• Rep: 90
  • "For me it's crazy like"
« Reply #337 on: December 21, 2022, 07:02:59 PM »
Hoping everybody has a safe and happy holiday with your family, chosen or blood. <3

Samee to you, GAY, and everyone else! <3
"So, you want to follow the nuge, get a good feeble, a nice ollie, an excellent lipside, maybe a tolerable down love and become known for your outstanding kick flip el toro? Become a regular visitor at our skate parks. Righteous."

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #338 on: December 21, 2022, 11:33:27 PM »

Truth.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

goldfishboot

• Rep: 144
« Reply #339 on: January 16, 2023, 07:18:13 AM »
hello! I'm gonna be in the bay area for a little over a week from the 20th to the 28th. Just putting some feelers out there, seeing if anyone wants to try and get a Bella Vista or Rockridge BART (or anywhere else) session going. Love ya 

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #340 on: January 16, 2023, 08:55:19 AM »
hello! I'm gonna be in the bay area for a little over a week from the 20th to the 28th. Just putting some feelers out there, seeing if anyone wants to try and get a Bella Vista or Rockridge BART (or anywhere else) session going. Love ya
Always down to session.
Holler at my DMs!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #341 on: January 16, 2023, 12:18:01 PM »
Dang I wish I could meet up with y'all.

TheFandangler

• Rep: 14
« Reply #342 on: January 18, 2023, 01:08:04 AM »

I haven’t posted in awhile, but coming to terms with my queerness more and more this last year and I just wanted to say: we missed you GAY and I’m really glad you’re back in our lives.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #343 on: January 18, 2023, 10:18:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I haven’t posted in awhile, but coming to terms with my queerness more and more this last year and I just wanted to say: we missed you GAY and I’m really glad you’re back in our lives.

Hey! What a kind thing to read. Thank you so much...and welcome back.

I'm not an authority on ANYTHING, but if you'd ever like to chat please shoot me a DM. Figuring out who I am and how to be OK with all of that is a journey I'm still on and a big part of why I started posting here on SLAP in the first place, so just know you've got an internet pen pal if you need one.

bigmike

• Rep: 11
« Reply #344 on: February 16, 2023, 04:46:27 AM »
Any queer skaters here in the Philadelphia area? My boyfriend and I are thinking of relocating soon. Wonder if LGBTQIA scene + skate scene sees any overlap  in the city o brotherly love 8)

Been living in Philly for almost 6 years, only known I was queer for the last 2 or so, but there’s definitely some overlap in the scene. There’s a few different queer skate meetup groups that I’ve heard of at least and there’s also a lot of crossover with the local quad skating scene. Zembo is a skate shop in Kensington stocking Glue, There, etc and has multiple queer employees and team riders. They also have an indoor park and do a lot of events like art shows, flea markets, and punk shows on the weekends. I’ve definitely made some friends w queer folk passing through the city or that I wouldn’t cross paths with otherwise at those types of things.

I’m baby gay and was already enmeshed in the skate scene when I started coming out, but everyone I’ve spoken to specifically about it has been nothing but kind  and supportive. Anyway, Philly loves you! Shoot me a message if y’all do end up out this way.

Magnolia

• Rep: 412
  • She/They
« Reply #345 on: February 16, 2023, 09:42:02 AM »

I'll be at this contest with friends on Sunday, is anyone im here thinking of going?
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #346 on: February 16, 2023, 02:06:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Been living in Philly for almost 6 years, only known I was queer for the last 2 or so, but there’s definitely some overlap in the scene. There’s a few different queer skate meetup groups that I’ve heard of at least and there’s also a lot of crossover with the local quad skating scene. Zembo is a skate shop in Kensington stocking Glue, There, etc and has multiple queer employees and team riders. They also have an indoor park and do a lot of events like art shows, flea markets, and punk shows on the weekends. I’ve definitely made some friends w queer folk passing through the city or that I wouldn’t cross paths with otherwise at those types of things.

I’m baby gay and was already enmeshed in the skate scene when I started coming out, but everyone I’ve spoken to specifically about it has been nothing but kind  and supportive. Anyway, Philly loves you! Shoot me a message if y’all do end up out this way.

Rad! Welcome bigmike. I call my husband Big Mike...have a feeling you're not the same person but anything's possible.

goldfishboot

• Rep: 144
« Reply #347 on: March 07, 2023, 07:24:53 AM »
things are extra fucking shitty lately for our trans friends. show them love. I feel pretty powerless and don't have good words for this stuff right now but they need to know you're there for them. thanks

signtime

• Rep: 1
  • Big Mountain Snowskating!
« Reply #348 on: March 28, 2023, 06:27:04 PM »
ONLY THE QUEERS CAN BRING DOWN THE PATRIARCHY
Pro skateboarding was like a feifdom built in some homophobic dude's image, and I, for one, am happy to see toddlers doing massive tricks in competition.
Code: [Select]
BURN IT DOWN

Magnolia

• She/They
« Reply #349 on: March 31, 2023, 02:04:39 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CqduOt9Ohf7/?igshid=ODM2MWFjZDg=

🏳️‍⚧️⬆️Donate to the trans skaters support fund⬆️🏳️‍⚧️

texascybergothic

• Rep: 80
« Reply #350 on: April 13, 2023, 08:10:02 PM »
I skated by myself today at the local diy and it was nice and I had a good time :)

halfcabcrook

• Rep: 3
« Reply #351 on: April 15, 2023, 06:08:43 AM »
nice

halfcabcrook

« Reply #352 on: April 15, 2023, 08:24:32 AM »
currently super bummed on skating my local because of all the homophobic/misogynistic/etc shit that i hear over there. the park by where i go to school isnt as bad, i havent heard anything crazy over there yet but im not holding out hope lol. i hate having to be on guard when im tryna enjoy my favorite hobby but alas

that being said if any of yall are around the new haven area n wanna skate hmu!

caked

• Rep: 15
« Reply #353 on: April 16, 2023, 11:11:22 AM »
hosted a skate meetup yesterday in central indiana and half of the rippers who came identify as queer :)

it feels really special to create a space where our queer friends, and especially our trans friends, feel safe and comfortable. I love hearing how important this little community we've built is to them. it was a beautiful day and we had a lot of fun.

hope you all have had a great weekend and have an awesome week ahead!

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #354 on: April 17, 2023, 09:19:05 AM »
hosted a skate meetup yesterday in central indiana and half of the rippers who came identify as queer :)

it feels really special to create a space where our queer friends, and especially our trans friends, feel safe and comfortable. I love hearing how important this little community we've built is to them. it was a beautiful day and we had a lot of fun.

hope you all have had a great weekend and have an awesome week ahead!

So awesome. This makes me so happy. Young kids able to be themselves and skate together is the most beautiful thing. Wish I could have joined you guys as the grandpa who can barely ollie anymore. :-D

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image

nothing's been the since same

feedmeastraysat

• da TF @ da TF
« Reply #356 on: May 30, 2023, 12:43:54 AM »
Been lurking since skateboardrumors.com got the brick, and TYMB was my safe space. Started HRT the other day, it's crazy how much SLAP and myself have changed and progressed over the years. The positive influence on me of the board accepting and embracing people like post-transition Hillary and GAY can't be understated in getting me to the happiest and most stable I've ever been. Love you all.

TYBB > SKULLZ

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #357 on: May 30, 2023, 06:11:08 AM »
Been lurking since skateboardrumors.com got the brick, and TYMB was my safe space. Started HRT the other day, it's crazy how much SLAP and myself have changed and progressed over the years. The positive influence on me of the board accepting and embracing people like post-transition Hillary and GAY can't be understated in getting me to the happiest and most stable I've ever been. Love you all.

We love you too! Welcome and hope you stay awhile. :)

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #358 on: May 30, 2023, 06:27:32 AM »

Great to hear!
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Magnolia

• She/They
« Reply #359 on: May 30, 2023, 09:21:48 AM »
Hell yeah welcome to the club!