Author Topic: Frontside disasters  (Read 1619 times)

CannerSpaghetti

Frontside disasters
« on: December 03, 2020, 11:47:31 AM »
Can’t do em. I can frontside ollie and back disaster but for whatever reason I always either undershoot and barely get my wheels on the coping or I kick out on front d. What’s the trick

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
Re: Frontside disasters
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 12:43:21 PM »
When I first learned them, I did them without popping. I would approach the coping like I was going to do a frontside slash or axel stall/pivot and as soon as my front truck was above it, I would turn my legs and hips like a frontside ollie. This helped me focus on one less aspect of the trick (the fs ollie pop). Since you already got fs airs that might not be a problem for you, but it helped me when I was starting out with them.

I think another couple of things I think about when trying them are to keep my head up and not over-rotate my shoulders, just like with back D's, as well as looking at the coping as a low flatbar that I want to front lip...
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

silhouette

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 11:06:52 AM »
I think of mine exactly like frontside lipslides on a ledge (which most often actually turns them into short frontside lipslides). Watch the direction you're aiming for, clear the coping and only then guide that back truck over it.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 11:48:58 AM »
can you do fs ollie 5 0 stall? that can help you get used to the pop and it's a low risk trick to learn. once you get used to the pop just rotate a little more for disaster. you can also learn to land to tail.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 02:01:28 PM »
Just go full lip slide.

Brguy

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 02:37:26 PM »
I learned on a very small ramp doing what Urtripping did and evolving to an actual ollie. When I learned how to do a proper one in a higher ramp I simply thought about doing a frontside ollie like I was going to hang up, kinda like a safety mechanism, I just went fast going straight and stomped on it when I got close enough to the coping, always in a half in half out way. Remember to extend your back leg a little bit more than the front.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 07:14:47 PM »
Can’t do em. I can frontside ollie and back disaster but for whatever reason I always either undershoot and barely get my wheels on the coping or I kick out on front d. What’s the trick

Depending on what there is to skate near you, very small or mellow transition or the lip of any average bank is a good place to start and then really get them consistently, so if you can frontside ollie on the face of any of those, as well as frontside 180 on flat you are already there.  Just make sure your frontside 180 on flat is all the way round, not just 90 land front truck and pivot the rest.  If you do this with your front foot over the front bolts too, this will put you in a much better position to land and then lift in correctly on a ramp.

I would also recommend you go fast enough to frontside ollie right out of the top, so you are landing clear on the platform and practice that for a while, just so you get your balance to get right out, because if you are undershooting, this will help with that too.

Once you have the right balance and turn without kicking it out, try to land right up on the deck, so your front truck is almost at the coping, rather than the back truck only just being over, which will also help with getting comfortable to take them in.

After that it is just getting more of an ollie up and then turn around, so you can get them round far enough to deck them but keeping weight in the ramp so you can roll away more easily.

Sometimes the best way to see what is going on or where you are balanced is set up a phone or camera and just rewatch the makes and bails.  More often than not, if you are not turning your shoulders round far enough or standing up too tall, it will cause you to lose balance, so stay low and make sure you move your upper body before your lower body.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

jigga man

• Rep: 4
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 07:34:38 PM »
frontside D? let's fucking go!

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 06:28:31 AM »
i always found front d's infinitely easier than back d's. when you do back d's is it more of a pop or a scoop/revert into them? if you're scooping/reverting into back d's i'd say learn how to do fakie pop rocks or whatever you wanna call them, it'll get you used to coming down onto the coping from air and not a revert. once you got that down, find a decently mellow ramp, go straight up and just pop a front 180. if you go on an angle it's way more likely to slide, if you go straight up itll just stay under you and you can do that/keep landing on the coping until you're comfortable with it.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 07:41:29 AM »
I’ve always done frontside Ds as pretty much the same as frontside 180 on flat.

The thing that makes it easier is staying inside the ramp i.e. not having all your weight on the deck. Eventually you can control that with how you launch but when you’re learning you can manage that with speed. The other thing that helped me was putting my front foot farther forward than I normally would before the ollie so it was somewhat on the nose when I landed in disaster.

Definitely easier on mellow small stuff. I might have actually learned frontside lipslides first - definitely learned them same day. Only difference is the angle you ride up to the lip.

Brguy

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 09:26:16 PM »
i always found front d's infinitely easier than back d's. when you do back d's is it more of a pop or a scoop/revert into them? if you're scooping/reverting into back d's i'd say learn how to do fakie pop rocks or whatever you wanna call them, it'll get you used to coming down onto the coping from air and not a revert. once you got that down, find a decently mellow ramp, go straight up and just pop a front 180. if you go on an angle it's way more likely to slide, if you go straight up itll just stay under you and you can do that/keep landing on the coping until you're comfortable with it.
Back disasters are always a scoop the way I see, but I don't got them really good so don't take my word on it.

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 03:37:52 AM »
I think the secret is to disasters/lipslides on tranny is to pop them a little early so that the tranny tends to throw you on the coping  as opposed to back in.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2020, 11:26:03 PM »
Yeah, I tend to Ollie up into them at first....then when comfy higher over the lip.  Back foot in pocket and you push your board in front of you. 

I also did the shit cheat nose pivot that no one should ever call....nollie...or slappy.....it's a cheat.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2020, 07:51:40 AM »
back d's look cooler and are easier

but just front 180 up onto coping and keep it under your feet. shoulder first, rest of the board will follow. front foot a little forward

bigmike

• Rep: 11
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2021, 09:34:36 AM »
approach with the speed of a fs pivot, maybe just slightly more. Definitely slower then you would for a fs Ollie if you can throw them above the coping.

Come as straight up the transition as possible, almost to a slight alley oop. Stay light on your feet and give a real lazy pop, barely more effort than bonking off the coping (the mellower the ramp, the more effort you should put into the pop). Don’t level it out. If your body is in the rocket ollie position, you’re perfectly set up to catch in the disaster.

Shoulder turn after the pop should feel a lot like a fs Ollie, but a little quicker. If you turn your shoulders quickly but pop lazy, you’ll have a nice slight tension that helps you to rock out quickly. Try to stay light in your feet and let everything hang up like a fakie pop rock. I want to echo what the previous poster said about getting quick fakie pop rocks first because to me the entry and body positioning is almost exactly the same. If your weight is in the ramp and you stay light in your feet, you should rock right out of the front disaster just like the fakie pop.

It should be quick. If you find yourself standing on the deck and thinking about rocking in, you have too much speed on the way up.

Once you get used to the quick re-entry, lazy pop version, you can pick up some confidence and start leveling your ollies and smacking the disaster more intentionally. You can also start trying them GT style with early big pop and aiming to fully deck the board. There’s a lot of different ways to make this trick feel cool, but I think the lazy floater hang up is the easiest to pick up and learn consistently.

Also, if you’re struggling on re-entry, try to imagine you’re going to rock out and immediately slide your front foot back off the nose. It’ll almost feel like a little bonk off a sidewalk crack

phlap

• Rep: 6
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2021, 08:32:50 PM »
I struggled with re-learning them a few years ago, always ending up in accidental front lips.

One little trick I've found that makes them easier; I always hit the ramp a tiny bit BACKSIDE, and that helps keep them straight. It's counter-intuitive, but I've had a lot more success with them now.
-Summer of George-