Author Topic: Elijah Berle of locking spots  (Read 32874 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
Re: Elijah Berle of locking spots
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2020, 08:07:11 AM »
nigel will front 5-0 this in running shorts no doubt

He’s def going to evolve into wearing a wrestling singlet sometime in 2021

BroBruhBra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2020, 08:15:38 AM »
Berle is incredible and a round rail magician for sure, but he just makes it so hard to like him. Not even knocking him for this alleged lock thing, which seems to be a big nothing (like most things here). He just seems so contrived at every turn of his career.

Prinzy

• Rep: 178
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2020, 08:48:37 AM »
Berle is incredible and a round rail magician for sure, but he just makes it so hard to like him. Not even knocking him for this alleged lock thing, which seems to be a big nothing (like most things here). He just seems so contrived at every turn of his career.

As as a Berle fan, what makes you think this "phase" is contrived? I would definitely agree Berle has had his moments of not being the most "original" skater in the world, but I think the release of this video had him come into his own at least somewhat?

I am not claiming you are making these assertions, but I keep seeing the Dylan comparisons and besides having impossibles on lock and a closet of wife beaters and high watered pants, Berle has a much more aggressive, crusty vibe to his skating.

Maybe that is, like you said, being contrived from some of his hockey teammates but I really think the video part was a big moment for Berle and its a bummer to see it get written off as Dylan cosplay.

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass

BroBruhBra

« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2020, 09:06:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As as a Berle fan, what makes you think this "phase" is contrived? I would definitely agree Berle has had his moments of not being the most "original" skater in the world, but I think the release of this video had him come into his own at least somewhat?

I am not claiming you are making these assertions, but I keep seeing the Dylan comparisons and besides having impossibles on lock and a closet of wife beaters and high watered pants, Berle has a much more aggressive, crusty vibe to his skating.

Maybe that is, like you said, being contrived from some of his hockey teammates but I really think the video part was a big moment for Berle and its a bummer to see it get written off as Dylan cosplay.

I totally agree that his part was incredible, and I meant what I said about his ability on round rails in particular. I think it's hard to separate the theatre, if you will, when it's now almost expected. And this is nothing new. Obviously Greco is the captain of this club, and Ethan (my love) wore a few different hats.

His Dylan-ness right now is pretty heavy.... clothing, hair, impossibles, team..... almost makes me wonder what's going on in Dill's head (I really have no right to say this as I don't know either of them).

However, maybe I'm just being a hater from my office and diminishing skill set.

Prinzy

• Rep: 178
« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2020, 09:17:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I totally agree that his part was incredible, and I meant what I said about his ability on round rails in particular. I think it's hard to separate the theatre, if you will, when it's now almost expected. And this is nothing new. Obviously Greco is the captain of this club, and Ethan (my love) wore a few different hats.

His Dylan-ness right now is pretty heavy.... clothing, hair, impossibles, team..... almost makes me wonder what's going on in Dill's head (I really have no right to say this as I don't know either of them).

I think the Dylan-ness may be heavier than I am giving credit too, but I guess I also look at Dylan clones as trying to put an effort into image and, for lack of a better term, being the "sexy" skater (someone like Sean Pablo comes to mind.)

I also agree with your curiosity of Dill and the gang being aware to how derivative some of this stuff can appear (this is coming from someone riding a Hockey deck rn)

I appreciate your points man, I dont think youre being a negative nancy from an office chair

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass

BroBruhBra

« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2020, 09:24:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I think the Dylan-ness may be heavier than I am giving credit too, but I guess I also look at Dylan clones as trying to put an effort into image and, for lack of a better term, being the "sexy" skater (someone like Sean Pablo comes to mind.)

I also agree with your curiosity of Dill and the gang being aware to how derivative some of this stuff can appear (this is coming from someone riding a Hockey deck rn)

I appreciate your points man, I dont think youre being a negative nancy from an office chair

Thanks! I have to admit that posting on Slap is making more mindful of how I express myself, lol.

Brguy

« Reply #126 on: December 04, 2020, 10:02:05 AM »
To be honest Elijah was already changing in Propeller, it really isn't all that sudden change people here claim it is. The biggest difference is he put on some better shirts and stopped hiding his hair. The arm thing is kinda weird, though.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #127 on: December 04, 2020, 10:27:12 AM »
 it is just a popular style now, dylan was not the first to dress like that even im sure. i thought the mechanic outfit was a bit much haha but w/e these guys like to influence fashion and shit i like when they push limits like that
jon dickson came on heavy with that full camo outfit
its just like how that baggy cargo / camos in the 2000s with the massive osiris was corny

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #128 on: December 04, 2020, 10:37:32 AM »
To be fair, a lot of people don't remember a single trick Frankie Spears has done.
because hes boring as fuck

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #129 on: December 04, 2020, 01:42:15 PM »
Interesting look into Alright,Ok with Elijah. interview By Jeff Thornburn for King skateboard Mag

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #130 on: December 04, 2020, 01:47:19 PM »
Oyola would make little DIY spots and destroy them after he skated them.   Maybe apples and oranges but I love apples and oranges. 

BroBruhBra

« Reply #131 on: December 04, 2020, 01:58:14 PM »
This sort of reminds me of the Clint Walker thing. I forget the name of the spot, stairs that Reynolds destroys in Baker 3 (Wilshire?). Anyhow, the city put up an obstruction at the end to discourage people from skating it, Clint gaps the whole fucker, sits on the footage. Then some kid winds up doing it and posting it on Instagram and Clint and company melts down about it.

I think this is the risk of holding onto footage, and no one is at fault. If you want to gamble on no one else doing it that's your choice, but you can't cry if someone else does it after and publishes it before you.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #132 on: December 04, 2020, 02:09:27 PM »

You can’t even lock a rail like that with a U-lock..

swishfrontblunt

« Reply #133 on: December 04, 2020, 02:20:33 PM »
Rewatching 'Alright, OK' for the third time now I feel like 95% of Berles clips have a discernible moment, usually just a moment after landing the trick, where he switches from the spaghetti armed, mouth open omar salazar that he is and clicks into a blatantly obvious re-enactment of like, 3 different classic Dylan landings. The elephant in the room is that Dylan's style was genuine and orginal, and that Berle will never successfully fill those shoes or even try on those shoes. What was sick about Dylan was that he was both classic and futuristic at the same time, like it didn't look weird to see a photo of him with classical tattoos and dress shoes while holding an iphone and supreme stickers on his board. He was timeless and pioneering and defining and at the same time didn't give a fuck. Berle clearly gives a fuck, which only ads to the confused image of a 1940's greaser living in LA that wears iPods and drinks starbucks all day. Like the goth kid that shoes up to school with his face powdered and mascara when you know he eats eggo waffles for breakfast just like everyone else and not goat blood

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #134 on: December 04, 2020, 02:21:14 PM »

you know what time is? Elijah Eli

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

BroBruhBra

« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2020, 02:38:13 PM »
Rewatching 'Alright, OK' for the third time now I feel like 95% of Berles clips have a discernible moment, usually just a moment after landing the trick, where he switches from the spaghetti armed, mouth open omar salazar that he is and clicks into a blatantly obvious re-enactment of like, 3 different classic Dylan landings. The elephant in the room is that Dylan's style was genuine and orginal, and that Berle will never successfully fill those shoes or even try on those shoes. What was sick about Dylan was that he was both classic and futuristic at the same time, like it didn't look weird to see a photo of him with classical tattoos and dress shoes while holding an iphone and supreme stickers on his board. He was timeless and pioneering and defining and at the same time didn't give a fuck. Berle clearly gives a fuck, which only ads to the confused image of a 1940's greaser living in LA that wears iPods and drinks starbucks all day. Like the goth kid that shoes up to school with his face powdered and mascara when you know he eats eggo waffles for breakfast just like everyone else and not goat blood

I think Dylan milked his style a little because most people do, but other than that I agree 100% with this.

Panettone

« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2020, 02:39:59 PM »

Listen to yourself

Christ

Brguy

« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2020, 02:52:10 PM »
This sort of reminds me of the Clint Walker thing. I forget the name of the spot, stairs that Reynolds destroys in Baker 3 (Wilshire?). Anyhow, the city put up an obstruction at the end to discourage people from skating it, Clint gaps the whole fucker, sits on the footage. Then some kid winds up doing it and posting it on Instagram and Clint and company melts down about it.

I think this is the risk of holding onto footage, and no one is at fault. If you want to gamble on no one else doing it that's your choice, but you can't cry if someone else does it after and publishes it before you.
Didn't Clint try to talk to the kid and then he posted out of nowhere? A kooky thing to do, they could've done a double cover or something.

BroBruhBra

« Reply #139 on: December 04, 2020, 03:00:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Didn't Clint try to talk to the kid and then he posted out of nowhere? A kooky thing to do, they could've done a double cover or something.

I think so? I don't remember the specifics and found the whole thing to be lame. I think I felt like both parties sucked.

Brguy

« Reply #140 on: December 04, 2020, 03:23:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I think so? I don't remember the specifics and found the whole thing to be lame. I think I felt like both parties sucked.
Probably.

Tyrone Slothrop

• Rep: 9
« Reply #141 on: December 04, 2020, 03:35:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

it is very clear that Dill is pulling some Vertigo-like stunt and making Berle take on the persona of Dylan to sooth the pain of losing his beloved friend

veritas

« Reply #142 on: December 04, 2020, 03:41:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
Probably.

From what I remember it was some random kid from the midwest or something who was out in Cali and did it. Why would he hide something like that just so a well known am / pro could get the shine for doing it? Anyone who commits to something that sick shouldnt have to bury their own clips to make pros happy, that sounds like some Stevie Williams NBA shit. If Clint was so worried about someone else taking credit he should have put a bike lock on it.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #143 on: December 04, 2020, 04:09:03 PM »
is this true? if so that’s kookier than I already thought he was

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 130
« Reply #144 on: December 04, 2020, 04:39:17 PM »
just came across this hahaha

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #145 on: December 04, 2020, 04:42:13 PM »

I'm just shocked someone who posts on slap isn't sure what the Wilshire set is

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #146 on: December 04, 2020, 04:46:30 PM »
is this true? if so that’s kookier than I already thought he was

Greg Hunt already came in and posted it's not true.

BroBruhBra

« Reply #147 on: December 04, 2020, 04:47:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm just shocked someone who posts on slap isn't sure what the Wilshire set is

Sure, so I guessed (correctly) and then locked it in by citing a person who skated it in a specific part.

What doesn't shock me is someone selectively read something here and then embarrassed themselves when trying to be snarky about it, guy.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #148 on: December 04, 2020, 05:43:34 PM »
Expand Quote
This is why this messageboard sucks. So much virtue signalling and tearing apart a decent kid. Why not rip on Nyjah for dressing like a rapist? Leave this  kid alone. It's pretty weak and hypocritical to rip on this guy, and then glorify all the freaks that have even stranger shit going on. Act all open minded, but just a bunch of bully fuckwad jocks.
[close]

you support trump huh? you watch ben shapiro and candace owens and shit huh? genuinely curious

Like "fake news" and "cancel culture", we are at a point now where "virtue signaling" translates to "anything I don't like". Basically meaningless, but especially meaningless in the manner in which this dork is using it
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 772
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #149 on: December 04, 2020, 05:47:40 PM »
Jamie Thomas sends you a box with black slim fit 505s , studded belt, and black hair dye

Dill sends you a box with high dickies, crispy white tank, and hair grease

U may only choose 1 life path

Wyd?

nothing's been the since same