Author Topic: PS2  (Read 1816 times)

theSketchLord

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
PS2
« on: December 05, 2020, 06:29:53 AM »
I've shelved a heap of my Nintendo systems and broke out the old PS2, ordered a new joypad and The Warriors.

Anyone recommend any games worth looking into?
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

Yu Dum

Re: PS2
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 08:03:29 AM »
Katamari Damacy is a personal favorite of mine. Oh, and the Crash Bandicoot series.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 08:59:15 AM »
MGS 3 snake eater, of course. On the most challenging level where you can't be spotted.

I recently thought about how many hours I put into this game when it was relevant.
A small blip on the rockstar radar cause I'm assuming you've played the GTA games.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 09:59:49 AM »
Silent Hill 2+3
Resident Evil 4
Devil May Cry 1+3 (not 2)
Metal Gear Solid 2+3
A bunch of JRPGs I know nothing about
THPS 3,4, THUG

theSketchLord

• https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 04:21:51 AM »
Silent Hill 2+3
Resident Evil 4
Devil May Cry 1+3 (not 2)
Metal Gear Solid 2+3
A bunch of JRPGs I know nothing about
THPS 3,4, THUG

I've looked into Silent Hill 2 but it's not cheap.
Devil May Cry is a great shout.

theSketchLord

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 04:25:13 AM »
MGS 3 snake eater, of course. On the most challenging level where you can't be spotted.

I recently thought about how many hours I put into this game when it was relevant.
A small blip on the rockstar radar cause I'm assuming you've played the GTA games.

I've seen this about, will look into it.
Never really got into the MGS games after the first. Then I heard the third had something like 1.5 hours of cutscenes.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 12:12:13 PM »
Shadows of the colossus was way ahead of its time.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Dante Bichette

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 04:28:45 PM »
Shadow of Rome is probably the most underrated PS2 game I've ever played. Super good gladiator-esque game with a lot of depth. Would heavily recommend it.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 10:33:47 PM »
best library of all any system.  def agree with mgs, sotc, katamari. also god of war and atv off road fury.

on the more obscure side, metal arms was a personal fav of mine.  light hearted 3rd person shooter with fun guns and platforming.

theSketchLord

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 06:47:33 AM »

I've listened to a few "Best of" PS2 podcasts and this always gets a mention. The story is supposed to be pretty sad in points.
Very keen to check it out.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2020, 11:14:19 AM »
Kingdom Hearts 1+2
GTA 3, vice city, and San Andreas
SSX Tricky

Also, Shadow of the Colossus is one of those games where you either hate it or love it. In my case, I hated it and never played it again after an hour, and is always my pick for the most overrated PS2 game.

masturskater

• Rep: 21
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2020, 03:43:37 AM »
Yakuza. I've only played and beaten the first one. I remember renting when it came out with no expectations. Felt like a spiritual successor to Shenmue, but even better. Gameplay may be dated but I remember getting sucked in and couldn't stop playing. 

As mentioned above, I think Shadow of the Colossus is a classic.

Jak and Daxter trilogy. I only beat the first one. Nice connected world platformer. The 2nd and 3rd are quite a departure. Add guns and open world.

Rise to Honor is a fun beatem up twin stick controls. I liked it a lot.

Simpsons Hit and Run. Some frustrating missions. But the writing and references are great if you're an old simpsons fan.

Psy Ops. I never got too deep into this game but loved the mind control mechanic.

And some quick nods: God of War, Prince of Persia, Mercenaries, Spiderman 2, Burnout 3, Gran Turismo 3/4, Viewtiful Joe, Dead or Alive 2, Soul Calibur 2, Tekken 4.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 05:39:08 AM »
You can jailbreak/ mod the PS2 to run games of a harddrive. It's not hard to do and you'll be able to play whatever games you want. You can even load other emulators on it.

To answer you're question though, the Sly Cooper series were great.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 06:07:55 AM »
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner is a Hideo Kojima adjacent game and it's fucking excellent. The first game was pretty weak and everyone bought it to play the demo of the new Metal Gear Solid game. But the sequel is a great game. I remember when I traded it in at the game shop the guy working there was super excited and kept it for himself.

Ico is great, if you like the team Ico games. It's the first one, and it's just a frustrating as the other ones (Shadow of the Colossus is easy the best team Ico game) but it has just as much heart and soul as the others.

Final Fantasy X (and especially if you include X-2) might be my personal favorite Final Fantasy simply because of the time I spent playing it and how well I still remember the characters.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 12:49:24 PM »
My picks for the things you can get pretty easily

~Disaster Report: Incredibly janky but fun game about surviving a massive natural disaster
~Raw Danger: Sequel to Disaster report, much more polished but the OG has a special place in my heart
~Dark Cloud: My favourite JRPG of all time. Very unique systems and the ost is wall to wall bangers (save yourself the pain and get a guide for weapon fusions though)
~TRAPT (no relation to the band): Very weird strategy/action game where you fight by setting up elaborate traps. It's a really niche genre in japan and few entries have been brought over, but this is my fav
~Silent Hill 2+3: necessary playing (but fans got the pc ports working pretty good so you can do that for free)
~Killer 7: The gamecube and pc versions are generally considered better, but if you want to play on original hardware...
~ICO/SOTC: no explanation needed
~Evergrace: I haven't actually played this, but the soundtrack is worth whatever the price is

For the adventurous collector that's willing to scour the internet for steals

~Haunting Ground: One of the best "stalker" horror games. You can still get it for okay prices sometimes, but next to no copies were made so you have to be patient
~Rule of Rose: One of the best stories in horror, but it's probably the most expensive ps2 games if you cant get one through a hook up.

Side note: if you're into any of the persona/smt titles on ps2, Atlus still makes some of them so you can get them new for like $25 on amazon. Still waiting on them to repress Rule of Rose though.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2021, 09:57:22 AM »
I've shelved a heap of my Nintendo systems and broke out the old PS2, ordered a new joypad and The Warriors.

Anyone recommend any games worth looking into?

that game was super fun.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2021, 10:46:51 PM »
Katamari Damacy is a personal favorite of mine. Oh, and the Crash Bandicoot series.

i strongly second katamari, one of my favorite games.

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Rep: 18
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2021, 03:48:19 AM »
Suikoden III

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2021, 07:26:02 AM »

And still holds up today. A true masterpiece..

GTA 3 will always be number 1 for me. Just absolutely blew my child mind at the amount of freedom you had. And Cruising liberty city to the scientist.. so good. The pedestrian quotes.. “SHIFT IT, PRICK”, “my mothers my sister” etc

I also pumped so many hours playing devil may cry 1 and this random ass game, conflict: desert storm..

if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2021, 06:13:18 PM »
dark cloud 1

sketchyrider

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2021, 09:33:29 AM »
war of the monsters is one of my favorites.

basically a game set to 1950's era monster concepts, you can battle it out in single player or against a friend. lots of fun for a fighting game.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2021, 11:38:08 AM »
Even though its PS1, I played through Thrasher: Skate & Destroy last weekend. It was super fun. Didn't want to stop but wife and son were acting like I abandoned them, so I had to stop

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2021, 12:42:21 PM »

first game i bought for ps2 and still have it

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2021, 01:36:03 PM »

i know i'm a damn pedant for this, but that game was only published by rockstar, and developed by an off-team at bungie(marathon, halo, destiny). i think that's interesting since bungie didn't do a lot of one offs throughout their history. they mostly commit to a franchise to make it a series and either partner up with a major distributor like apple or microsoft or publish themselves.

Land of the Faust

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2021, 04:13:14 PM »
I usually play my PS1 games on my PS2. Recently played through the original Resident evil. Love that game to this day.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2021, 12:02:09 AM »
I usually play my PS1 games on my PS2. Recently played through the original Resident evil. Love that game to this day.

It was pretty cool that you could use your PS1 memory card on PS2.

Dummklaus

• Rep: 44
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2021, 12:14:35 AM »
i always enjoyed the onimusha series, especially the third game with jean reno. the setting with time travel and samurais in paris fighting demons is pretty weird, but i always liked it.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2021, 11:09:37 AM »
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner is a Hideo Kojima adjacent game and it's fucking excellent. The first game was pretty weak and everyone bought it to play the demo of the new Metal Gear Solid game. But the sequel is a great game. I remember when I traded it in at the game shop the guy working there was super excited and kept it for himself.

I actually much prefer the original Zone of the Enders.

The story is bland but interesting enough, the gameplay is the same. But that ending...

And it's short - like 6 hours tops. There's something about a 6 hour long game that I really appreciate, especially for that era when everything was 60 hour JRPGS or something navy/army/guns.

But the fact that it's bland is almost the best part because you really don't expect such a dark and brilliant ending.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2021, 11:13:03 AM »
In all honesty, jump into the ps1 catalog instead.

Most of what's worthwhile on the ps2 has a remaster/remake on a modern console.

A lot of ps1 games to go through for cheap. Over the last few years been I've playing a shit ton of ps1 games through various mediums and they hold up much better than ps2 games for me.

I've probably completed 25 ps1 games in the last year and a half. Haven't been able to finish a single ps2 game out of the maybe dozen I've started.

• Rep: 99
  • Fully Flared! coming November 16th 2007
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2021, 03:20:09 PM »
Simpsons Hit and Run. Some frustrating missions.
I used to give my controller bite marks because of that game, I downloaded it for a gamecube emulator and it aged super well