Author Topic: Anyone else tired of so many vids/parts droppin at the end of the year for SOTY?  (Read 3394 times)

rukes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
Expand Quote
for our free entertainment
[close]
You seem to miss the part where these guys are not only skaters since childhood, they're also being paid for it and whoever gets SOTY will probably get a big christmas bonus. Not to mentions those who are in it just for attention.

No i didnt miss that part at all, thats quite obvious, and i think so highly of the general slap users intellect, that i dont need to point out basic facts like 'these guys get paid'
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
i don't know it reminds me of the 90's when i had no choice but to wait a year, mind you videos did drop a little more spread out.

Brguy

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
for our free entertainment
[close]
You seem to miss the part where these guys are not only skaters since childhood, they're also being paid for it and whoever gets SOTY will probably get a big christmas bonus. Not to mentions those who are in it just for attention.
[close]

No i didnt miss that part at all, thats quite obvious, and i think so highly of the general slap users intellect, that i dont need to point out basic facts like 'these guys get paid'
Sure, you just have to ignore the existence of the fact so you can act like they do it exclusively for our pleasure, not stupid things like money, recognition or simply the pleasure of being an adrenaline junkie as a job.

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You're complaining about seeing too much skateboarding? Ummm, ok.
[close]

My thoughts exactly.
[close]

I don’t think that it’s necessarily the amount of content people are complaining about as much as the timing of it.

The discussion is whether companies are blatantly holding project til November for better SOTY odds, and whether or not it’s corny. I don’t think that’s as negative as you are making it.

Personally I prefer just to put stuff out when it’s ready. If it has staying power it will win whatever it deserves to. The best SOTY wins are the ones where the dudes weren’t  even going for it.

Oh, my bad - you're sick of seeing too much skating at once? ummm, ok.

In a more mature response, I would say that skateboarding parts have gone from 2/3 year projects to 6/12 month projects. Sure, maybe some of these dudes are 'gunning for SOTY', but I bet a larger portion are releasing parts at the end of the year simply because the deadline's up and 'old' footage isn't as acceptable anymore.
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

sKINGraft

• Rep: 28
  • space doo-doo pistols
also for a large portion of the northern hemisphere november/december is cold as fuck, people arent gonna be stacking as much footage if theyre outside california so why not stack until you cant then drop the edit when more people are in front of computers

makes sense to me

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
I enjoy the ones where they are hucking themselves down huge steps and rails. Hail Mary

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
I enjoy the ones where they are hucking themselves down huge steps and rails. Hail Mary

Your posts always remind me to be less of a curmudgeon on here. Thanks for the positivity (and for that booty)
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
also for a large portion of the northern hemisphere november/december is cold as fuck, people arent gonna be stacking as much footage if theyre outside california so why not stack until you cant then drop the edit when more people are in front of computers

makes sense to me

People buy less skate products when weather sucks.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
i could care less about soty, turning skateboarding into a competition is fucking wack imo
Me too. I could care less but i could care more.
A real conundrum

JordanBrambleberry

• Rep: -4
It's a fool's errand this year against Mason Silva, folks!

BieberStance

• Rep: -18
Expand Quote

makes sense to me
[close]

People buy less skate products when weather sucks.

Seasons are changing, so many people go for updating their winter wardrobe. and I bet the most margin is made by softgoods like hoodies and jackets. while doing that I can imagine them visiting skate shops or ordering hardgoods  too, because once on it, why not.

I further think holiday season is the best season for shops and brands.

it is when the target demographic of kids spend their parents money and gift money on christmascompletes.
further its family time. christmas shopping will probably lead to a visit to the local (mall) shop in a lot of cases.

at least this was the case when I was younger. I mean it has probably changed a bit because of corona, still tho.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Jocks gonna do jock things.
Bitches gonna bitch about shit.

Yeah, it's marketing. The mag, the companies, the most talented skaters in existence are not trying to be broke especially during the holidays when they stand to make the most money to determine how next year's budget will be for all the cool content you get the following year.

No one is responsible for your inability to have self control from overindulgence in skateboarding content to the point you complain publicly that these guys who are showcasing their best output is being dismissed as SOTY suck ups. Not everyone is Nyjah.

LongStoryShort

• Rep: -13
There seems to be a proven formula to win SOTY.
You need to already be in the spotlight = likely nominated the previous year.
You need to be killing it all year = release at least 3 parts throughout the year.
You need 1 part to be absolutely gnarly and release it towards the end of the year = memorable even for stoners.
You need to at to least 100K followers on Instagram = Popular enough to sell magazines to old dudes and digital advertising for kids.
You need your brand image or sponsors to be correctly aligned with thrasher = Flavour of the month, or you ride for Indy.
You need to look good on your board for a cover = Front crook el Toro, or Kickflip into a carwash, I'll wait.