Author Topic: Sleep  (Read 924 times)

Acky Jacky

Sleep
« on: December 06, 2020, 07:17:31 AM »
This thread is dedicated to sleep.

Do you get enough of it? How much do you feel like you need? What kind of problems and successes do you have with it?

Up until my late 20’s I highly undervalued sleep, and my health in general. A lot of partying until the wee hours and then waking up a few hours later to go to work completely zonked out. Pretty typical young person stuff.
Nowadays (in my very early 30’s) I find I don’t feel great unless I get over 7, but ideally a full 8 hours of sleep. Recently I’ve been having trouble sleeping more than 6 hours at a time. I wake up feeling tired but unable to fall back asleep, and I lead a very physical lifestyle so it’s a bit concerning. Usually I’m able to push through and enjoy a good skate session or get some decent exercise, but I don’t feel like my body is having a full chance to recover.
At the moment, I’m not drinking, but I usually do end up smoking weed, or eating it, to try to help sleep.

Also, me and my girl are on very different schedules, she usually needs to get up at 5 during the workweek and I usually need to wake up around 10. She has more trouble than me, and I feel for her.

theSketchLord

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Sleep
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 07:46:58 AM »
Honestly, I don't seem to need a lot.
On a nightshift week I maybe get 3-4 hours (usually 3pm until about 6.30 - 7pm) then one day when I'm off I'll sleep half the day to recharge the battery.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 07:55:14 AM »
If you have insurance or live somewhere with a national health service, I recommend going for a sleep study if you can. I found out I have something similar to sleep apnea when I was in my late 20’s and using a cpap machine has improved my sleep quality immensely.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 08:17:22 AM »
Posted about this in another thread not long ago but when I was younger I went through some shit that fucked with me mentally which caused me to not get much sleep for years, there was even a year straight where I just slept like 0-3 hours a day, shit sucked.
Even now in my 30s I can sleep better but I’m still pretty shitty at it, 4-5 hours a night, especially if my stupid ass decides to stay up late on a work night, but sometimes I can get 6 or 7, especially if I go to bed early (which is rare these days) and also don’t have too much on my mind to keep me up; after 6-7 hours tho I’m usually good to go for the day. I should note even if I get 6-7 hours I’m still waking up a few times throughout the night here and there, rarely do I get 6 or 7 hours straight through. Never could hit that mystical 8 hours of sleep; even if I stay up for like a whole day straight and finally go to bed I still just max out at 6-7 hours of sleep before I’m up.

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 08:38:53 AM »
I used to have sick insomnia as a teenager, like no sleeping and I hallucinated once. But by my 20s it was a wrap. I sleep like a fucking champ. Like no problems. I don't even smoke weed and no troubles. I mean I did used to smoke a ton, and never thought sleep could happen sans grass but it can. Once I slept for 18 hours. Itwas like a joke to friends and my girl that I might just never wake up.
Tldr, I have no trouble sleeping, and I'm certainly in the minority on that.
Whoa. Danger.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 09:00:39 AM »
I had pretty gnarly insomnia growing up. Especially in college when I had to work night jobs or sometimes pull all nighters for assignments it wasn't uncommon for me to stay up for a solid day or two at a time. I think my longest streak of zero sleep was about 3 and a half days. Sometimes I still struggle with random bouts of sleeplessness but getting a set day job helped me at least form a decent foundation of a sleep schedule. Another huge revelation was actually shelling out money for a good bed. Honestly life changing.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 09:29:00 AM »
I've seen them a couple of times, and they are still one of the best bands ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIw7oeZKpZc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdk5yuLvRCA

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 12:35:23 PM »
 either too much or too little

Acky Jacky

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 02:02:02 PM »
If you have insurance or live somewhere with a national health service, I recommend going for a sleep study if you can. I found out I have something similar to sleep apnea when I was in my late 20’s and using a cpap machine has improved my sleep quality immensely.

Would you mind Elaborating about what it is you found out you had? I have actually tried to start sleeping with those type of Band-Aids on your nose that are supposed to open up your nostrils or whatever. I definitely have some sort of problem with mouth breathing when I sleep. But it’s been affected me more recently than it was over the summer.

Acky Jacky

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 04:06:08 PM »
On a nightshift week I maybe get 3-4 hours (usually 3pm until about 6.30 - 7pm) then one day when I'm off I'll sleep half the day to recharge the battery.

I rarely would refer to a Joe Rohan podcast, but this one was so interesting that it really changed the way I look at sleep. I suggest having a listen if you have time. Maybe you’re in the minority of people who can function with little sleep, but it may be a slippery slope.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pwaWilO_Pig

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. It’s interesting to read about other peoples relationship with sleep.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 04:30:29 PM »
Up until my son was born, I could get 4 hours of sleep and be good. He didn't sleep through the night for the first 9 months (usually 3 times up a night to eat and change diapers). Then through 4 years old, around 2 am, he'd come into our bed and bicycle kick me in the ribs the rest of the night. So I have been tired since he was born. Sometimes I give myself what I call "NyQuil nights". I'll just take a NyQuil dose and sleep through everything. This is what gets me through

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 05:11:15 PM »
I used to sleep really well, but I've developed really bad insomnia recently. Went from being able to being able to sleep like a rock for 8-9 hours to getting more like 6 every night. Used to be that I'd just crash out 16 hours after I woke up, but now I dont get tired until like 3am at least. I attribute it to a curse I brought on my house by changing the bushings on my ventures.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 05:27:56 PM »
From like 17-30, when I was getting fucked up on the regular, I didn't seem to need much sleep. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with my body, brain, and nervous system being in some sort of shock. there was a period where I was working as a teacher and I'd stay up rampaging all night, sleep for maybe 2 hours, get to work and hold down a classroom. My supervisors, colleagues, and students were always stoked on my performance. I really don't know how it went down like that. I guess I was just used to operating without much rest.

Nowadays, I like to get about 8 hours. I don't have to use an alarm, I pretty much wake up between 630-730 regardless of when I fall asleep, so I try to get shut eye between 1030-1100. It really helps on days when I've been super active- build a project in the yard, skated, went running, long bike ride, etc. I'm also totally into herbal sleep aides- kava tea, Passion flower, magnesium, Valerian. I take this stuff called formula 303, it's passia flora, magnesium, and valerian in a tablet. It's quite relaxing and the magnesium is a great muscle relaxant.

If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 08:01:35 PM »
3 hrs is too short.

5 hrs is perfect to get up and go.

7 hrs is too long, i'll need to stay in bed until i hit 9 hrs, then need like 2 hrs to wake up for real.

i'd rather skip sleep and try to get over the hump than just sleep 2-3 hrs and be tired as fuck.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2020, 04:14:52 AM »
I've had broken sleep for a large portion of my adult life. I've spoken about it in another thread. I can't work or study properly because of it. Therefore I live off benefits and whatever I can get on the side from flipping stuff and art related work. I'll have a few months here and there where i'm ok. I just wish I was a normal human most of the time.

theSketchLord

• https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2020, 06:26:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I rarely would refer to a Joe Rohan podcast, but this one was so interesting that it really changed the way I look at sleep. I suggest having a listen if you have time. Maybe you’re in the minority of people who can function with little sleep, but it may be a slippery slope.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. It’s interesting to read about other peoples relationship with sleep.

Thanks, I'll look into it for sure!
I read recently how you can look at sleep as like a recharge, so for example I only got 2 hours of sleep today (5-7pm) but my partner is at work all day tomorrow so I'll come home and go straight to sleep, so say 6am and go right through til about 4pm.
Then I can afford maybe 1-2 days of 3-4 hours.
I did honestly worry about it when I started, I had a mate who drove hookers at night and reset his sleeping pattern to nights, he did it for about 2 years and then had to stop.
I've been on nights for nearly a year and a half and it seems to work. 

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2020, 08:44:14 AM »
I've never been a good sleeper. My issue is my brain just spins like a hamster wheel for hours while I lay in bed. YouTube sleep music helps. But my main trick is to slow down my breathing and consciously think 'in' as i inhale and 'out' as I exhale. After a minute or two of that my brain calms down.

Acky Jacky

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2020, 10:52:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks, I'll look into it for sure!
I read recently how you can look at sleep as like a recharge, so for example I only got 2 hours of sleep today (5-7pm) but my partner is at work all day tomorrow so I'll come home and go straight to sleep, so say 6am and go right through til about 4pm.
Then I can afford maybe 1-2 days of 3-4 hours.
I did honestly worry about it when I started, I had a mate who drove hookers at night and reset his sleeping pattern to nights, he did it for about 2 years and then had to stop.
I've been on nights for nearly a year and a half and it seems to work.

From what I remember in this podcast, the scientist who is being interview specifically disputes this idea. I think it's something along the lines of him saying that you can't really make up for lost sleep. You may sleep more hours to balance out for the hours you lost, but it is not equal in the end. I haven't researched it too in depth though, so I'm just going off of what one dude says. Realistically sleep is one of the hardest things to get right in our contemporary society.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2020, 03:05:50 AM »
How i understood it:

Sleep follows certain patterns and on average it takes about 8 hour for a full cycle/rest. Thats why 8 is the recommended standard. Sleeping 16 wont make you twice as rested. And thats also why 1 or 2 hours dont really feel like they work. Altough a "powernap" of about half n hour is a real thing, as you just finish the first stage and wake up before you enter a 'deeper' sleep.

This is also why its sometimes easer to get up at 7 instead of 10.

Dont quote me on this

Ilya Oblomov

• Rep: 14
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2020, 05:22:16 AM »
I had a lot of trouble sleeping through high school. Probably was getting maybe 3 hours a night in 30-45 minute sections. Was not fun. I tried Benadryl for awhile and that worked ok. Switched to melatonin and that works well. Over the last couple months I dropped down to 3mg, then broke those in half, and am now down to just using half of that. Sometimes I am still a bit groggy after 8 hours so either I am oversleeping or I don't really need it anymore. Probably going to see if I can ween myself of completely over the next few weeks.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2020, 06:08:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Would you mind Elaborating about what it is you found out you had? I have actually tried to start sleeping with those type of Band-Aids on your nose that are supposed to open up your nostrils or whatever. I definitely have some sort of problem with mouth breathing when I sleep. But it’s been affected me more recently than it was over the summer.

Sure, it’s called something like upper airway resistance syndrome, and it is similar to sleep apnea in that I was waking up every few minutes without realizing it. If your mouth is opening while you sleep and it’s messing things up for you, maybe one of these could help:
https://www.cpapology.com/morpheus
I think I got one for like 20 bucks.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2020, 08:55:14 AM »

You can ride this wave for a while but once you start getting 7-8 per night, the party is over. I never gave a fuck about sleep when I was younger and now I have to have a little routine every night to get 8 hours or I'm a fucking husk the next day.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2020, 09:25:41 AM »
kid/job/dogs/weed = full ass days = sleep

i used to have gnarly night terrors, can rarely remember my dreams, i can feel refreshed after a ten minute nap(and yeah i can fall asleep fast as fuck if im tired), also tend to not move at all in my sleep and wake up drenched in sweat to the point where i have to lay a towel down to try to go back to sleep

also my 8 has been cut down to 6 lately for no apparent reason

normally sleep naked too ;)

Acky Jacky

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2020, 02:40:26 PM »

i used to have gnarly night terrors, can rarely remember my dreams, i can feel refreshed after a ten minute nap(and yeah i can fall asleep fast as fuck if im tired), also tend to not move at all in my sleep and wake up drenched in sweat to the point where i have to lay a towel down to try to go back to sleep

Same thing here, and it’s kinda fuckin me up

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2020, 02:55:42 PM »
"The results suggest that in both artificial and natural intelligence systems slow-wave sleep may act to ensure that neurons maintain their stability and do not hallucinate."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/lack-of-sleep-could-be-a-problem-for-ais/

Cellular

• Rep: 16
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2020, 10:22:12 PM »
I had pretty gnarly insomnia growing up. Especially in college when I had to work night jobs or sometimes pull all nighters for assignments it wasn't uncommon for me to stay up for a solid day or two at a time. I think my longest streak of zero sleep was about 3 and a half days.

This is how I am right now. I either get like 2 hours of sleep or pull all nighters every other day, sometimes days at a time, but never more than three.  Rarely I can get 10 hours of sleep but its uncommon

I mean he is kinda doing dog drugs so I fuck with it

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2020, 03:02:24 AM »
I tend to wake up feeling like shit if I sleep over 8 hours, unless I'm hungover, which rarely happens these days.

I get about 6-6.5 hours a night and I feel great in the morning. I tend to wake up around 5:10 am on most days and I like it like that.

I'm lucky I never suffered from insomnia, the weed tends to knock me right out.

theSketchLord

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2020, 03:35:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You can ride this wave for a while but once you start getting 7-8 per night, the party is over. I never gave a fuck about sleep when I was younger and now I have to have a little routine every night to get 8 hours or I'm a fucking husk the next day.

I've been at the job for 3 years and doing nights for maybe a year and a bit.
Honestly the time I feel the worst is maybe the 10-15 minutes after I wake up but a bong and a coffee usually sorts that.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2020, 06:46:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Same thing here, and it’s kinda fuckin me up

It could be a stress thing. Some people report waking up early, being tired, but unable to return to sleep during times of high stress or prolonged stress.