Author Topic: Price increases in europe  (Read 2334 times)

35mm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 27
Price increases in europe
« on: December 06, 2020, 12:18:35 PM »
Has anyone else been following the prices of skate products in europe?
From the start of the year price of skate product in the major online retailers in europe (Titus, Skatedeluxe,...) has been rising.

I guess this may be related to the shortages due to COVID situation, or to the recent boom in skateboarding, but I am afraid that once this situation stabilises prices wont come back to where they were.

A couple examples:

The super common in europe Jart decks went quite a while ago from 45€ to 50€. Not that impressive but it caught my attention.

Venture trucks price has skyrocketed, regular trucks used to be 25€, v-lights were 30€ and v-hollows were maybe 33€. Right now they cost 34€, 40€ and even 46€ for the v-hollows. This is for a single truck. Its crazy. This has made ventures as expensive or even more expensive than indys.

Overall deck prices are all over the place, but I think they are going up. Its surprising that plenty of DLX boards are available for 60€ (price point maybe?). One incredible example is the price of Baker and Deathwish boards, they are now about 75€-85€.

I havent been tracking wheel prices that closely, wheels are already pretty fucking expensive, a set of formula fours costs 58€.

Can any europeans pals give any insight on this? Have you noticed price increases? Any other examples?

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
Re: Price increases in europe
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 01:43:56 PM »
Has anyone else been following the prices of skate products in europe?
From the start of the year price of skate product in the major online retailers in europe (Titus, Skatedeluxe,...) has been rising.

I guess this may be related to the shortages due to COVID situation, or to the recent boom in skateboarding, but I am afraid that once this situation stabilises prices wont come back to where they were.

A couple examples:

The super common in europe Jart decks went quite a while ago from 45€ to 50€. Not that impressive but it caught my attention.

Venture trucks price has skyrocketed, regular trucks used to be 25€, v-lights were 30€ and v-hollows were maybe 33€. Right now they cost 34€, 40€ and even 46€ for the v-hollows. This is for a single truck. Its crazy. This has made ventures as expensive or even more expensive than indys.

Overall deck prices are all over the place, but I think they are going up. Its surprising that plenty of DLX boards are available for 60€ (price point maybe?). One incredible example is the price of Baker and Deathwish boards, they are now about 75€-85€.

I havent been tracking wheel prices that closely, wheels are already pretty fucking expensive, a set of formula fours costs 58€.

Can any europeans pals give any insight on this? Have you noticed price increases? Any other examples?

Venture Titaniums got way more expensive last year (that is 19, not 20). Same goes for Indys I think, can't talk about Thunders. I mostly shop FA/Hockey and other BBS wood and they stayed the same... FA slicks are more expensive anyway.

Schinken

• Rep: 60
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 02:05:39 PM »
Noticed the increased price of ventures too. Maybe they became more expensive because they are more popular now?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 05:49:28 PM »
I am in Australia, not Europe, but everything has definitely gone up a significant amount.

If the company like DLX or Bakerboys puts $1 more on things, it can go up $10 at the retail end quite easily, sometimes even more depending on how many hands it needs to go through, or who is selling it.

Covid has not helped, and with shortages, some shipping now has to be the faster / express option just to try to get the product out there, so that will also push up costs to the end user too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 09:55:56 PM »
I aint paying 85 euros for stupid wooden toy

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 02:39:48 AM »
I'm in the US and some of the price jumps are similar. Notably DW/Baker, but not other BBS board brands, oddly enough. They're $65-68 now when they almost all were $55 pre-Covid. Further, a shop was selling Formula Fours for $50. That's a $15 jump from the usual $35 I was used to seeing at some shops.

Also, I saw a shop selling an April team deck for $70. That's the highest I've ever seen a regular popsicle from a common brand.

I'm a working man so I can afford it but the sudden price jumps are unsettling. Makes me wish I stocked up a little more when it was more affordable pre-Covid. Specifically wheels, in my case.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 08:31:03 PM by DarkPools »
Super Champion Fun Zone

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 04:19:27 AM »
I'm in the US and some of the price jumps are similar. Notably DW/Baker, but not other BBS board brands, oddly enough. They're $65-68 now when they almost all were $55 pre-Covid. Further, a shop was selling Formula Fours for $50. That's a $15 jump from the usual $35 I was used to seeing at some shops.

Also, I saw a shop selling an April team deck for $70. That's the highest I've ever seen a regular popsicle from a common brand priced that fucking high.

I'm a working man so I can afford it but the sudden price jumps are unsettling. Makes me wish I stocked up a little more when it was more affordable pre-Covid. Specifically wheels, in my case.

wasn't there a major shortage of f4s and dlx in general? i know a shop here got there monthly dlx shipment and had a grand total of 8 sets of f4s. doesn't really explain the price jump but i'd imagine covid/shipping/etc has played into it.

in the uk i've noticed an increase of board prices in general from 2013 when i started skating again onwards. for a long while UK/EU decks would be £40/45 and US brands would be £55, maybe pushing into £60 if it was stuff like almost impact, flip p2 etc. now depending on brands UK/EU stuff can be anywhere from £40-60, US stuff is £60+

just checked my local, hockey/fa stuff is £75, dgk is £70?! everything else seems to be around the same price it's always been.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 05:07:31 AM »
In sweden baker/deathwish cost €99 up to 8.25, 8.375 and up cost €109. Never seen a price difference for bigger sizes before.

https://www.junkyard.se/products/skateboards/skateboards?department%5B%5D=1177&brand%5B%5D=1083

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 05:08:53 AM »
Prices in the UK are definately up this year due to Covid, I noticed it start to kick in around May.

Trucks in particular seem to have gone up the most.. decks a little, most US pro decks are knocking on £65+ now... Ace trucks have gone up a load, bought a pair in the early spring for £40ish, looking now they are around £60 everywhere, nuts.

WPG

• Rep: -8
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 05:40:32 AM »
In Canada prices have also gone way up, I was looking at a local shops site and Krooked price point boards were $90 up from around $60.
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

Yibb-Tstll

• Rep: 52
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2020, 06:34:08 AM »
Definitely, seems like we're back to early 2000, regarding board price (and leg opening)

I bought a board yesterday at my local shop in Paris, and they told me that they gonna have to increase their price soon. I usually ride quasi and it will jump from 65€ to 80 and 85 for pro-model. It's already up for Baker, but Polar only slightly up to 67€.

Also a possible shortage of hardware like trucks. Glad I bought a new pair of Aces for 30 each last month. I might stock-pile some Quasi Acid Ply and go back to the P2 shape after.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2020, 06:56:01 AM »
Yup, just paid £70 for one of the DGK tuner series to hang, had I known it was going to be that price I probably would have passed instead of reserving it with the shop when they were announced.

Also grabbed a Hockey recently to grip and rip, £65 ($86)... I'm going to have to switch to cheaper decks at some stage if I start burning through them when the weather gets better.

On the plus side the collector market seems to be booming, so there is money to be recouped longer term... the Rick and Morty deck i've got hung on the wall has over doubled in value vs what I paid 3 years ago.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 07:53:14 AM »
This is a worldwide phenomenon.
Prices here in Chile went up in absolutely everything.
Couple of years ago any vans pro shoe would be like 40.000 clp and now we just got the kyle walker 2 for a whooping 70.000 clp
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2020, 10:13:36 AM »
Thanks for the thread, it's something I been thinking (and suffering) a lot. Boards (BBS/Generator/PS) went up from 60€ to 80€, Formula fours went from 45€ to 60€ in less than a couple of years.

I think it's a mix between stock shortage and the distributors/shops suffering more than ever.

As consequence but I'm starting to see more dwindle boards and ventures. Obviously not everyone can afford these high prices.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 10:29:09 AM by alraunen »

twic3

• Rep: 14
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2020, 02:53:17 PM »
I work in logistics and the rising prices is attributed to almost all of the skate industry being distributed out of California and the fact that there are barely any international flights going out of the US. A lot of international shipping is transported through passenger planes.

The cost of oversea shipping has risen a lot too this past year.

Cost will probably go back to normal after borders return back to normal but that's just my prediction.

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2020, 08:51:19 PM »
boards have always been a bit more expensive in canada, but they are at an all time high at the moment.

pro boards are $99 and sometimes $104.99 at the shop closest to me. the higher priced ones being brands like fa/hockey/quasi.

seeing as i generally only skate one board per month, i don’t mind paying a bit more if it means that the shop is able to turn more of a profit on hardgoods. from what i know, they are buying most of their boards from distros at $60-$65.

Glurmpz

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2020, 09:20:22 PM »
boards have always been a bit more expensive in canada, but they are at an all time high at the moment.

pro boards are $99 and sometimes $104.99 at the shop closest to me. the higher priced ones being brands like fa/hockey/quasi.

seeing as i generally only skate one board per month, i don’t mind paying a bit more if it means that the shop is able to turn more of a profit on hardgoods. from what i know, they are buying most of their boards from distros at $60-$65.

Ours range from $84.99 - $99.99 for pro decks, and yeah, wholesale for most is $60+ now. Then add taxes, shipping and a sheet of grip and the cost (to the shop) for most boards is around $70.   

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2020, 04:41:02 AM »
So with this thread in mind, I noticed DGK decks up on skatedeluxe selling for 80 €s now. Definitely a jump up.

pops

• Rep: 218
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2020, 05:39:39 AM »
Even before covid, I've seen basic Lakai vulcs for 100€ while you can cop much better made shoes for 79/89€. Definitely deck prices have increased to some  extent.

TumKayo

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2020, 08:59:22 AM »
Skate gear is really cheap in comparison to other action sports gear IMO. It’s refreshing. In mountain sports for example, this amount of material would be like $500-$1000 for a setup, if it was MTB or skiing or something.

rock2fakie

• Rep: 7
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2020, 09:11:43 AM »
Yes but in mountainbiking or skiing you generally don’t burn through one bike/pair of skis a month... Like that kind of money is usually an investment for years, depending on how often you like to update your gear.

TumKayo

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2020, 09:18:47 AM »
True. That was way off topic.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 01:24:17 PM by TumKayo »

35mm

• Rep: 27
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2021, 06:54:07 AM »
Bumping this thread almost a year later after first creating it, just to say that prices haven't come down one single bit. Shit sucks

Frank and Fred

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2021, 07:13:40 AM »
Why did you think they would come down?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2021, 02:27:41 AM »
Bumping this thread almost a year later after first creating it, just to say that prices haven't come down one single bit. Shit sucks

Everything is still going up, with things like container shipping being double or more than what it was before the pandemic, which is driving every other price up too.

Might I suggest this thread for you if you are not finding things quite so good, money wise.

European sale gear thread

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=115627.30

It could probably do with a good bump for those in EU, but more than anything, I keep an eye on shops I know, get emails re sales, keep track of what is in stock in places so if someone is looking for something, they NEVER have to pay full price.

It really makes a difference to tap into local markets and shops and buy when things are on sale or with a discount code, more so than buying something when you absolutely need it, which is usually at full price.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank Sobotka

• Rep: 75
  • We used to make shit in this country, build shit
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2021, 04:25:41 AM »
I noticed a Hockey deck for over £80 the other day. Fuck that!

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2021, 05:46:56 AM »
I noticed a Hockey deck for over £80 the other day. Fuck that!

$199 AUD for an FA here (the hologram print ones but still, batshit crazy)

gyros4heroes

• Rep: -20
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2021, 05:25:07 AM »
Prices in the UK for US brands have gone up 15-20£ over the past 18 months which to me seems just ridiculous. Even palace decks have gone up 10£.
I dont know who can even afford skating daily and going through boards quick anymore and massive RIP to the parents with skater kids

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2021, 08:16:53 AM »
It is a worldwide tendency so it is not a bad idea to stock up a bit. Go buy on sale but first look at the models (at least for the decks) to be from this year's collections. There were some very good deals on the black friday and now the christmas sales are on. I have noticed the the dlx (real, antihero, krooked) decks, polar and magenta are keeping the lower prices (69 pro boards) for the bbs decks in comparison with baker/deathwish hitting the roof like 85-90 euros. In one hand this thing with the prices going up and the life getting more expensive is fucked up, but environmentally this may be kind of good coz the consumption (and eventually the production) may decrease.