Author Topic: Mixing PAL & NTSC footage in the same project  (Read 2571 times)

Thomas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
Mixing PAL & NTSC footage in the same project
« on: December 07, 2020, 01:31:29 AM »
Hey guys,

I did some research over the Internet, but most of the answers are quite old since this might not be a current problem...

I have some PAL and NTSC DV footage that I want to mix in the same project in Premiere.
I usually set my Sequence settings the same as the clips, and output as upscaled 1080 60p for YouTube.

What is the easiest way to mix those clips without loosing quality or having frame-rate issues ?

I'm using the last version of Premiere Pro.

Thanks !
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Re: Mixing PAL & NTSC footage in the same project
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 06:10:30 AM »
I'm so glad someone made this thread as I had this issue previously on a project that needed going out pretty quick and SP went back down, so I lost the thread.

I too would like to know this for my full length which has a mix of NTSC and PAL.

Sorry I'm not answering your question, but I would like to see a clearer answer myself as I couldn't get one before.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

NG

• Rep: 17
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 06:32:08 AM »
Hmm if you're in premiere i think you should be okay if you resize clips equally and then deinterlace to equalize the frame rate. Don't quote me on this but I think that should be all you need...

Edit: Your PAL footage should be 25 fps and NTSC 29.97 correct? You could try timewarping one or the other (manually on indivi. clips) to match and then resizing + deinterlacing. You'll get some weirdness any way you slice it but they'll definitely play together.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 06:57:39 AM by NG »

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 06:53:38 AM »
Hmm if you're in premiere i think you should be okay if you resize clips equally and then deinterlace to equalize the frame rate. Don't quote me on this but I think that should be all you need...

Isn't de-interlacing going to give me 25p for PAL and 30p for NTSC ?
I'm not very concerned about the size, because in the end both are 4:3 and pixel aspect ratio is the same (I think).
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

NG

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 06:59:36 AM »
See above--edited reply and didn't see your post. Though I believe if you deinterlace the whole project to a particular frame rate (sequence settings) it should shunt it to that frame rate.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 07:00:08 AM »
i've got an edit in the timeline in premiere that for various reasons has footage of all variations - 25, 30, 50p, 50i, 60. Doesn't seem to have much effect in all honesty it all seems to work fine. I've got it all in a 25fps timeline. Would appreciate knowing if I'm missing something though as I don't know much about these things

edit- this is all in hd though not sure if it's different for tapes
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 07:16:05 AM by Billy Bitchcakes »
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

NG

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 07:13:03 AM »
Skip ahead to 1 min in to miss the youtube bullshit but this is an easy way of dealing with different framerates (albeit in HD). Deinterlace afterwards for SD to smooth things out and final push it to the right framerate

bataaard

• Rep: 42
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 09:10:55 AM »
From what i found on internet, you can't find a perfect solution to mix different framerates (and keep the speed of your footage).
If I have some NTSC and PAL vx footage, I just throw everything in a 1920x1080 square pixels 50p timeline. It doesn't look so bad.

i filmed max's trick at 17:10, edouard's polejam at 2:35, and adrien's trick at 17:42 with an NTSC cam here :

the rest of the project is filmed with PAL cameras.

I'm not 100% sure, but i believe you should edit and export to the lowest framerate rather than the highest one
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 09:20:31 AM by bataaard »

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 06:24:24 AM »
Skip ahead to 1 min in to miss the youtube bullshit but this is an easy way of dealing with different framerates (albeit in HD). Deinterlace afterwards for SD to smooth things out and final push it to the right framerate

This doesn't help as every clip that isn't in your native frame rate will be playing at the wrong speed
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.