Author Topic: Walker Ryan: author  (Read 4397 times)

Rockin Robbin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
Walker Ryan: author
« on: December 09, 2020, 07:43:07 PM »

https://oldfriendsandco.com/products/top-of-mason-by-walker-ryan

"I like to think that this is the first novel set in the world of modern professional skateboarding. But it isn’t really about skateboarding. It’s an adventure story about a guy trying to get over a break up—intersecting the worlds of skateboarding, contemporary celebrity, and homelessness—all the while dealing with a late-twenties identity crisis. All the characters are fictional, but it’s inspired by my love for San Francisco and my appreciation for the many unique individuals I’ve met through skateboarding."
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 988
Re: Walker Ryan: author
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 07:46:00 PM »
i dare you to buy it

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 08:06:36 PM »
A book about getting top of the good homie and SOTY elect, Mason Silva.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1190
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 08:36:39 PM »
Could come in handy if TP levels run low.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 57
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 09:36:19 PM »
Warning: The story includes a few scenes with drugs, sex, swearing and other subjects that might not be suitable for children.

Of course Walker Ryan put this warning on his book. Don’t buy it for your kids guys.
Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 10:59:38 PM »
Huh
Still smart tho
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 11:16:17 PM »

Wonder if Walker ever read A Room With No Windows

wheee!

benboardbreaker

• Rep: 49
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 05:33:13 AM »
What Toque said. Black arm has always been a favorite on and off the board

BroBruhBra

• Rep: -20
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 05:56:49 AM »
I'd rather read Chromeball Incident

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 554
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 06:13:12 AM »
I won't read it, but respect

BALAKOV

• Rep: 17
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2020, 06:21:42 AM »
reckon Suciu will read it?

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2020, 06:24:08 AM »
Anyone ready to confess actually ordering it and reading? How bad can it be?

Nowadays it seems so easy to write and publish a book.

However readable books are from authors with some writing background.

I enjoy Walker's skating but I doubt him as an author.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2020, 07:11:18 AM »

Wonder if Walker ever read A Room With No Windows

I thought Bourne’s book doesn’t have anything to do with skating? Like, he purposefully avoided the topic.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2020, 07:31:55 AM »
mr and mrs suciu used to send him to bed with no creme brulee for reading fiction it was in his pals questions

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2020, 07:39:41 AM »
walker ryan on vans?

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2020, 08:19:14 AM »

I ordered it and look forward to reading it.
SPB!

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2020, 08:25:05 AM »
actually curious to read this.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2020, 08:45:58 AM »
Warning: The story includes a few scenes with drugs, sex, swearing and other subjects that might not be suitable for children.

Of course Walker Ryan put this warning on his book. Don’t buy it for your kids guys.

oddly judging by the synopsis and first page it feels like it could be a great CYA book... so maybe buy it for your teens.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Roger Mexico

• Rep: 22
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2020, 09:05:13 AM »
People writing fiction about skating has almost always been bad in relation to both skating and writing. Just like skateboarding movies are usually pretty bad at both skateboarding and being movies. I don't expect this to be any better. Though, how would I know? I still can't work up the stomach to read Kyle Beachy's novel and he's almost definitely a better writer than Walker Ryan.

I think skateboarding is better suited to memoir style writing and cultural analysis as opposed to fiction. Skating is something you do and document and talk about. It's not really something you tell a story about. Especially not for an audience of non-skaters. Maybe Frank could write a novel about Ducky Darnsworth and Gary Headlock or something that's just so wacky and out there absurd that it would make for a funny read. But, for me, skating and fiction don't really work.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2020, 09:23:28 AM »
People writing fiction about skating has almost always been bad in relation to both skating and writing. Just like skateboarding movies are usually pretty bad at both skateboarding and being movies. I don't expect this to be any better. Though, how would I know? I still can't work up the stomach to read Kyle Beachy's novel and he's almost definitely a better writer than Walker Ryan.

I think skateboarding is better suited to memoir style writing and cultural analysis as opposed to fiction. Skating is something you do and document and talk about. It's not really something you tell a story about. Especially not for an audience of non-skaters. Maybe Frank could write a novel about Ducky Darnsworth and Gary Headlock or something that's just so wacky and out there absurd that it would make for a funny read. But, for me, skating and fiction don't really work.
You're probably right, but then maybe one day someone will manage to write good skateboarding fiction. I don't think it is impossible. I have read and enjoyed Tony Hawk's autobiography even though it is not really a great book by any literary standarts. I also enjoyed Dave Carnies's "boob" and Nieratko's "Skinema". All of these books aren't really fiction, though.

I haven't been a fan of Scott Burns writing even though I tried hard to like it, because I like his skating and some of his interviews as a skater were interesting. But: His attempt at complete authenticity or whatever he's trying to do just doesn't work for me. That shit died when Hemingway put a gun to his head. Don't take yourself so seriously man.

I am interested in Walker Ryan's book. Can someone write a review for us? Anyone read that Kyle Beachy book?

biaherl

• Rep: 267
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2020, 09:31:32 AM »
I'ma buy it. I'ma read it

Roger Mexico

• Rep: 22
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2020, 09:39:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
You're probably right, but then maybe one day someone will manage to write good skateboarding fiction. I don't think it is impossible. I have read and enjoyed Tony Hawk's autobiography even though it is not really a great book by any literary standarts. I also enjoyed Dave Carnies's "boob" and Nieratko's "Skinema". All of these books aren't really fiction, though.

I haven't been a fan of Scott Burns writing even though I tried hard to like it, because I like his skating and some of his interviews as a skater were interesting. But: His attempt at complete authenticity or whatever he's trying to do just doesn't work for me. That shit died when Hemingway put a gun to his head. Don't take yourself so seriously man.

I am interested in Walker Ryan's book. Can someone write a review for us? Anyone read that Kyle Beachy book?

All of that is purely my opinion. And my taste. Both of which I will readily admit are very subjective. I hope that those of you who are interested in reading it do enjoy it. No ill will toward any of you or to Walker. You're right, someone very well might write an amazing skateboard novel. But, when it does happen, I don't think it's going to be about being or becoming a pro or have anything to do with the industry. I haven't read Kyle's book, but part of me wants to. Just like part of me wants to buy Karl Watson's children's book. But part of me cringes at both, mostly because I want them to be good, but I'm cynical about writing about skating that isn't documentary or shit talking.

HotnSpicyMcChicken

• Rep: -41
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2020, 10:04:25 AM »

Probably helped him workshop it

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -389
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
  • User is banned from postingMuted
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2020, 10:11:43 AM »
Im sticking to Ric Leonetti
9/11 was a national tragedy

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2020, 10:11:50 AM »
Yea, but how big is the demo of literate skaters?
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1158
  • old and in the way
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2020, 01:17:44 PM »
It’s cool that this exists. Even if it’s not that great maybe it’ll set a precedent for literacy in skateboarding. If anyone on here reads it it would awesome to see some SLAP reviews. A SHALOM scale of KOOK to GNAR. Or zero Red Bull Hats to 5 Red Bull hats (5 hats being the worst).
If he can articulate his feelings about skating and identity in an interesting way that might help give a voice to kids coming up.
I liked Barbarian Days by William Finnegan and that guy is kind of a fucking kook.

Also if Frank wrote and Gary Headlock Ducky Darnsworth book it would probably be incredible <3

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 405
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2020, 01:22:59 PM »

While I'm not saying it's going to be literary genius, the fact that he has an actual college degree in sociology makes me think his commentary on behavior in skateboarding whether fiction or not is at least relatively comprehensive and relatable. I'll also gladly support someone in skateboarding who I think is doing something new. It doesn't all have to be hell ride and smashing windows.

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2020, 01:23:29 PM »

Only if it gets translated to French.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 656
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2020, 03:51:20 PM »
I like Walker, so I'm going to give it a chance.

I have a copy of Evan Schiefelbine's book and Karl Watson's as well, so I'll add this one to the collection.

Also, this is now an excuse for me to post Schiefelbine's Blind part, which is always a good time.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2020, 12:26:40 PM »

I ordered it and just finished reading it, took me a bout 5 days. I liked it overall, it’s not book about skating, skating is just the context for a lot of the story. It had a lot of twists that kept it interesting. I like how he story involved skating but didn’t make it a the heart of the story, which kept it from feeling corny.

Expand Quote
[close]

Probably helped him workshop it

Suciu’s mentioned in the back of the book as helping give notes or something like that.