Author Topic: Good truck size for my setup  (Read 1741 times)

nickan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Good truck size for my setup
« on: December 09, 2020, 10:06:27 PM »
I've been skating for a couple of months now and I basically only ride transition but still like to learn some street stuff here and there. I like to ride boards between 8.75 and 9, and I ride 58mm wheels. I'm currently riding 149 indys but I'm thinking about moving up to 159's because wider trucks seem to be much more fun and responsive for transition. Would it be a good or bad idea to move up to 159, and would I be getting a lot of wheel bite if I moved up cause of the wheel size I ride? Or should I just stick with 149's for now?

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
Re: Good truck size for my setup
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 08:33:52 PM »
Based on your deck size? Yes, you should go with 159's.
If it was me, though, I'd size down my deck to ~8.5 instead. I don't see why a beginner should have to ride such a giant board, even on transition. In any case, a couple of months of skating isn't enough to start thinking about different truck sizes. I'd stick with the same trucks for at least a couple years. Even after two decades of skating, trying a different truck is something that takes me months or years to pull the trigger on.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 09:23:26 PM »
If you are wanting more just a big board to have some fun on, then 159 on 8.75 or 169 on 9+ but they are going to change the feel of the setup a fair bit.  If anything the wider trucks will help with less wheelbite, as the board has more concave towards the edge as well.  If it is not an issue with money, then sure go for the 159s and see how you go.

If you are more used to those trucks, as said even try an 8.5 or 8.6 sized deck and see how you go.  Trucks will last the longest on the board, unless you are charging concrete coping / edges but I don't think you would be quite there yet.

I put three washers on the inside to get the wheels out further, which would also work a bit in making the wheels sit out a bit more on whatever trucks you have, so even try that first and see if it makes any difference.  Even two on the inside is a start and only the nut on the outside.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 10:50:10 PM »
Id consider setting up two boards....wide and shaped 159's and 8.5 and 149's.....

If you're just starting out, there's still value in having an 8.5 to get better at ollies and such, but the 159 set up you can skate transition...

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 01:03:01 AM »
If you want to stick to Indy's I would recommend the 159s.
If you're down to switch to a better turning truck I would recommend the Ace 55s. Turning is a lot more responsive on the Ace Trucks and this might really help to get you carving on transition.

You mentioned wheelbites and I would advice you to get some smaller wheels. To be honest I don't really see a reason to ride 58s on normal terrain besides really rough ditches or vert. Go with a 54-55, this should give you a lot more clearance. But if you want to stick to 58s I would recommend some riser pads.

Try some setups of your homies or random people you meet at parks, you will eventually find setups that you really enjoy

nickan

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 08:25:11 PM »
Based on your deck size? Yes, you should go with 159's.
If it was me, though, I'd size down my deck to ~8.5 instead. I don't see why a beginner should have to ride such a giant board, even on transition. In any case, a couple of months of skating isn't enough to start thinking about different truck sizes. I'd stick with the same trucks for at least a couple years. Even after two decades of skating, trying a different truck is something that takes me months or years to pull the trigger on.

Sorry this is kind of a late reply but, so far I've experienced like 4-5 different deck sizes and shapes, starting from 7.75, to 8, 8.25, 8.38, 8.5, and now an 8.8. Although I'd say I am a beginner, I've been getting comfortable really quickly and already have some basic maneuvers like feeble, slashes, 5050s and rock to fakies on 6 foot quarters. I also have pretty large feet (11.5) and the feeling of a bigger board is really nice to me. I'm still able to do ollies pretty well and I like the feel of the big board as well as the foot space it gives me. Also, for trucks I'm really just trying to get a feel of what is perfect for me. I agree with you that you should stick with the same trucks for a while but I'm looking for the right truck to keep around for a while as I'm constantly playing with different sizes and want what feels the best for me. Trying my friends 159's felt great and that's what got me into them. I like your advice though and what your saying does make sense though.

nickan

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 08:27:55 PM »
If you are wanting more just a big board to have some fun on, then 159 on 8.75 or 169 on 9+ but they are going to change the feel of the setup a fair bit.  If anything the wider trucks will help with less wheelbite, as the board has more concave towards the edge as well.  If it is not an issue with money, then sure go for the 159s and see how you go.

If you are more used to those trucks, as said even try an 8.5 or 8.6 sized deck and see how you go.  Trucks will last the longest on the board, unless you are charging concrete coping / edges but I don't think you would be quite there yet.

I put three washers on the inside to get the wheels out further, which would also work a bit in making the wheels sit out a bit more on whatever trucks you have, so even try that first and see if it makes any difference.  Even two on the inside is a start and only the nut on the outside.

I like your advice on the washers to get the wheels out a bit further. I think with my new trucks though, that won't be a problem as I was previously riding 149 hollows and they're about 53.5 tall and the 159s are 55 tall. I'm not sure if that'll make a large difference but it might help a bit to reduce the wheel bite. I'll also try your tips if I keep getting it. Thanks!

nickan

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 08:32:09 PM »
If you're down to switch to a better turning truck I would recommend the Ace 55s. Turning is a lot more responsive on the Ace Trucks and this might really help to get you carving on transition.

You mentioned wheelbites and I would advice you to get some smaller wheels. To be honest I don't really see a reason to ride 58s on normal terrain besides really rough ditches or vert. Go with a 54-55, this should give you a lot more clearance. But if you want to stick to 58s I would recommend some riser pads.

Try some setups of your homies or random people you meet at parks, you will eventually find setups that you really enjoy

I agree with you on the wheel bite part, I rode 54 wheels for about 3 months and it hasn't been up until this month that my friend gave me some big ass 58 wheels that I decided to try. I don't know why exactly but for some reason I really love big wheels more. It just feels more playful and spread out to me if that even makes sense. With the new trucks I'm getting, they're 55m tall vs the hollow 149s I had which were 53.5m. Do you think that small difference will help prevent wheelbite a bit more so I wouldn't have to resort to risers?

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 11:38:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I agree with you on the wheel bite part, I rode 54 wheels for about 3 months and it hasn't been up until this month that my friend gave me some big ass 58 wheels that I decided to try. I don't know why exactly but for some reason I really love big wheels more. It just feels more playful and spread out to me if that even makes sense. With the new trucks I'm getting, they're 55m tall vs the hollow 149s I had which were 53.5m. Do you think that small difference will help prevent wheelbite a bit more so I wouldn't have to resort to risers?

It makes a big difference in my opinion. Never been a fan of big wheels, cause I want to keep my trucks as loose as possible

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 01:36:13 AM »
I have a couple of setups with 8.75 Antihero decks, 159 standards, 58mm classic full F4 Spitfires on one and 60mm on the other and they still ride easily with minimal wheelbite on medium / loose trucks.

See how that goes and if needed just put a very thin riser in, like a rubber bike tube or even thin piece of something (yes cardboard works here too for minimal riser, even though it might sound weird, it works) but for the most part all my standard Indy setups I just put a sticker or two on the board under the trucks and it is perfect.

My normal setups are smaller all round (8.38 - 8.5 deck, 149 trucks, 50 to 54mm wheels mostly), but the bigger wheels on wider decks with wide trucks are so much fun!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.