Author Topic: Greco's New Film “Glass Carousel”  (Read 17336 times)

conqueso

Re: Greco's New Film “Glass Carousel”
« Reply #150 on: December 18, 2020, 09:26:19 AM »
that was great. props to greco.

skate_bored

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #151 on: December 18, 2020, 09:36:49 AM »
A little late to the party, but have enjoyed reading these comments.

Video parts that provoke this much discussion and debate are gifts.  At least Greco does not bore us.

came here to say this exact thing (but in a regular sized font).

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #152 on: December 18, 2020, 11:34:35 AM »
Interesting how they did the colors.

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #153 on: December 18, 2020, 11:51:48 AM »
Expand Quote
i dont think that was all done in 1 day because the cars parked were diffferent in almost every shot. but i bet these tricks were all go to for him + he did them all already before he even filmed them. probably was over hte course of 2-3 days id guess.

its funny cause everyone is like man that spot looks so hard to skate. spot looks amazing to me i would kill for something like that. i had baiscally the equivalent of just 1 of those brick banks , and mine was a lot rougher than that, and i skated it for years until it got bulldozed :(
[close]

I can bet money he worked for a lot of those clips!

That spot is really fucking hard to skate.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #154 on: December 18, 2020, 11:59:30 AM »
Expand Quote
i dont think that was all done in 1 day because the cars parked were diffferent in almost every shot. but i bet these tricks were all go to for him + he did them all already before he even filmed them. probably was over hte course of 2-3 days id guess.

its funny cause everyone is like man that spot looks so hard to skate. spot looks amazing to me i would kill for something like that. i had baiscally the equivalent of just 1 of those brick banks , and mine was a lot rougher than that, and i skated it for years until it got bulldozed :(
[close]

well maybe they werent 1st try like some of those were pretty nice tricks and slid really well but im just saying was probably fun for him and was probably all stuff he knew he could get, i dont think he was ever thinking like man im never gonna get this front blunt on that shin high ledge im gonna have to come back here like 4 times to get this. dont have to worry about slamming too hard on none of that stuff either. he took some nice bails but like dont have to worry about anything career ending over there other than maybe hittin a bad needle or gettin beat up by a junker

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2020, 12:18:03 PM »

Yep that was amazing. Been hating greco forever but he won me over with this one. Wow

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2020, 12:34:31 PM »
Expand Quote
A little late to the party, but have enjoyed reading these comments.

Video parts that provoke this much discussion and debate are gifts.  At least Greco does not bore us.
[close]

came here to say this exact thing (but in a regular sized font).

I agree

Mario

• Rep: 1
« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2020, 12:53:29 PM »
Well its a sad place for sure, havent been showcased this acurate imo. Amazing spots, but so much misery.

Its easy to talk negative about the specific shots, but once you ve been there you ll know and probaly gives you that feeling your back at the spot, like I do.

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 159
« Reply #158 on: December 18, 2020, 01:48:27 PM »
As for exploration.. I mean. Taking pictures of starving children living in famine in Africa is exploitative as well. But when it serves a purpose of creating a debate or paint a picture of a reality to make a change- its not longer exploitation.

As for Grecos film, albeit of course not near the level of Kevin Carters images and alike , maybe the people who gets upset by the painted misery lives close to this and see this daily, thus just see something they feel is nothing more than exploitative images.

But for me, who lives in Sweden where people smoking crack on the streets or homeless people living in tents in the streets is just not something we ever see here, the reaction for me is more of a chock of how shitty the US is and how crazy it is to see this in a open daylight kinda situation when skating. Even if Im the only person with this reaction, it does serves a purpose that transcends the explorative narrative.

As for the skating, what suprised me the most was how easy he got up on the BS tail and 360 BS tail in the beginning on those pretty high ledges. Pretty rad for his age.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #159 on: December 18, 2020, 02:04:12 PM »
First of all, that was an incredible clip. Loved every second of that. Filming, coloring, even the film grain all are really unique. Never seen this spot skated like that either.

I'm of two minds on the homeless footage.

On one hand, I do agree that tossing in some "street life" footage in a youtube clip to "harden up" your clip is really wack.

On the other hand, I don't think that's quite what's going on here. I almost feel like its dishonest NOT to acknowledge how fucked the homelessness situation is in DTLA. That clip of that person lighting up the pipe at the spot was NOT comfortable or anything like that. It was sad. It was saying more "take 10 seconds to acknowledge your surroundings and how fucked society is", rather than "damn bro look how gritty these spots are".

Was there the same debate when there were all these down and out people getting in fights in Sabotage LOVE park clips? I mean that was a very large part of the image, and to me it didn't feel explotative. It felt like what it is like to Skate at Love, and some sort of statement on Philly.

nevrwasben

« Reply #160 on: December 18, 2020, 02:04:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yep that was amazing. Been hating greco forever but he won me over with this one. Wow

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #161 on: December 18, 2020, 02:30:48 PM »
First of all, that was an incredible clip. Loved every second of that. Filming, coloring, even the film grain all are really unique. Never seen this spot skated like that either.

I'm of two minds on the homeless footage.

On one hand, I do agree that tossing in some "street life" footage in a youtube clip to "harden up" your clip is really wack.

On the other hand, I don't think that's quite what's going on here. I almost feel like its dishonest NOT to acknowledge how fucked the homelessness situation is in DTLA. That clip of that person lighting up the pipe at the spot was NOT comfortable or anything like that. It was sad. It was saying more "take 10 seconds to acknowledge your surroundings and how fucked society is", rather than "damn bro look how gritty these spots are".

Was there the same debate when there were all these down and out people getting in fights in Sabotage LOVE park clips? I mean that was a very large part of the image, and to me it didn't feel explotative. It felt like what it is like to Skate at Love, and some sort of statement on Philly.

If the people gave permission.....no problem.  Not sure if I'd like it.....but those people aren't the same as some Karen telling you have to leave or some security guard you high five....

Sure there wasn't much discussion w. Sabotage but I bet they'll reel it in....you know GX will...and for good reason. 

There's a good Jenkem article here of a homeless skater that could actually explain shit to us....I think skaters have a lot to learn....I know I do....

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
Why don't you just take his point on board and then answer his question @heckler ?

You are the contrarian in chief on here and never miss an opportunity to baste someone.

Why don't you stop deflecting and give your opinion or give in.
I told myself I was gonna stop replying since there isn't anything left to say (as if mattchew said anything of worth to begin with) but dude, what in the actual fuck is wrong with you? Pointing out that brands shouldn't profit off alleged rapists and sticking up for some of the most marginalized members of our society isn't being contrarian, it's having a values system and baseline empathy for your fellow human beings. Are you a sociopath?
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
Why don't you just take his point on board and then answer his question @heckler ?

You are the contrarian in chief on here and never miss an opportunity to baste someone.

[close]
I told myself I was gonna stop replying since there isn't anything left to say (as if mattchew said anything of worth to begin with) but dude, what in the actual fuck is wrong with you? Pointing out that brands shouldn't profit off alleged rapists and sticking up for some of the most marginalized members of our society isn't being contrarian, it's having a values system and baseline empathy for your fellow human beings. Are you a sociopath?

Very rude and weird my dude. You seem miserable lately.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Very rude and weird my dude. You seem miserable lately.
Responding to my post within seconds, however, is very normal. Enjoy rubbing shoulders with a rape apologist.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
« Reply #165 on: December 18, 2020, 03:52:24 PM »
Yes, browsing SLAP at the same time is very ~*SpoOkY*~ also definitely not rubbing shoulders with anyone, very socially e-distanced.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #166 on: December 18, 2020, 03:56:53 PM »
Loved it, i felt the shakey cam went well with the meth smoking (I agree it's a bummer though to put addicts on blast without their consent). Loved the concept, spot, skating, and the Miles Davis!

Beauty Cadillac

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #167 on: December 19, 2020, 01:58:07 AM »
Youtube's algorithm just prompted me to rewatch this and I enjoyed it so I'll put it here:

Cool to see how the way he skates has evolved since then.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #168 on: December 19, 2020, 02:39:44 AM »
Personally, I loved the skating, but I don't really have the patience to want to sit through the candid/slice-of-life take that he brought to this. I'm happy that his hairline is holding on, though.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the symbolism of him using "glass carousel" as his title, but... can't. Too much brain power.

rukes

• Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #169 on: December 19, 2020, 02:58:29 AM »
'Glass Barbeque' might have been more apt.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

flempa1one

• Rep: -17
« Reply #170 on: December 19, 2020, 05:19:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

well maybe they werent 1st try like some of those were pretty nice tricks and slid really well but im just saying was probably fun for him and was probably all stuff he knew he could get, i dont think he was ever thinking like man im never gonna get this front blunt on that shin high ledge im gonna have to come back here like 4 times to get this. dont have to worry about slamming too hard on none of that stuff either. he took some nice bails but like dont have to worry about anything career ending over there other than maybe hittin a bad needle or gettin beat up by a junker

You don't really get it do you

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #171 on: December 19, 2020, 05:33:09 AM »
you'll cowards don't even smoke crack

you have to be someone I know, are we on the same bolt company?

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #172 on: December 19, 2020, 08:44:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I never hated him. This definitely is a stand out piece tho

And yes I've smoked 10gs in about 3 weeks. Not my money though
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

chat noir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #173 on: December 19, 2020, 03:32:18 PM »
Older pros should watch this and take notes. This is how you progress in your career when your body is in decay. So many pros hang it up because of their age, mostly because they have the mindset of shock and awe and are incapable of that. There are other avenues.

I can see both sides of the argument re:including footage of homeless people. As said by others, the most defining and talked about element of Downtown LA in 2020 is homelessness. Homeless is a massive issue in all major cities on the West Coast. It is very much apart of Downtown life.

Dirk_Diggler

« Reply #174 on: December 19, 2020, 03:38:23 PM »
What a legend. I enjoyed every minute of that and I already can’t wait for his next one.

Pretty weird they cut off that one back tail though.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #175 on: December 19, 2020, 06:53:18 PM »
i was getting off a long distance bus in DTLA one day and i saw him filming at this spot wearing those clothes. i was like, "that's gotta be greco." just him and a filmer. i watched across the street as he filmed a line on those smaller qp planters that he skates like ledges. he did noseslide, back 3, then something else. i think one of the takes was in the video. anyway, cool to see this pop up months after witnessing that.

Nicki

« Reply #176 on: December 20, 2020, 12:12:38 AM »
Youtube's algorithm just prompted me to rewatch this and I enjoyed it so I'll put it here:

Haven’t watch that in forever, thanks for the share, so sick.

I think my favourite part has to be The Deathwish video because there’s so many different Greco’s in it. Seriously some multiplicity shit, like a friends section all made up of Greco’s.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #177 on: December 20, 2020, 12:38:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Haven’t watch that in forever, thanks for the share, so sick.

I think my favourite part has to be The Deathwish video because there’s so many different Greco’s in it. Seriously some multiplicity shit, like a friends section all made up of Greco’s.

And cheers to you for sharing that one, hadn't see it in years and didn't remember it was as good as it was either. He nollie bs flipped Carlsbad.

Seeing the style mutations is hilarious, especially when you have all the different Grecos stages from that slap illustration in your head. The first line is textbook "Gnarly Greco"!

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #178 on: December 20, 2020, 01:28:21 AM »

I already said that bro

The skating was good
listen to cosmic psychos

rukes

• Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #179 on: December 20, 2020, 04:25:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I already said that bro

The skating was good

Ok well you didn’t say it in this thread and who the hell has time to scan every other thread before making a joke sheesh cunt lighten up it’s Xmas have a xxxx and chill out like a beer in an esky ya joker
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?