Author Topic: Greco's New Film “Glass Carousel”  (Read 17333 times)

Tear Up a Trick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
Re: Greco's New Film “Glass Carousel”
« Reply #180 on: December 20, 2020, 04:42:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Youtube's algorithm just prompted me to rewatch this and I enjoyed it so I'll put it here:

Cool to see how the way he skates has evolved since then.
[close]

Haven’t watch that in forever, thanks for the share, so sick.

I think my favourite part has to be The Deathwish video because there’s so many different Greco’s in it. Seriously some multiplicity shit, like a friends section all made up of Greco’s.

Very well said.  That's all I want for Christmas anyway.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #181 on: December 20, 2020, 06:12:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
'Glass Barbeque' might have been more apt.
[close]

I already said that bro

The skating was good
[close]

Ok well you didn’t say it in this thread and who the hell has time to scan every other thread before making a joke sheesh cunt lighten up it’s Xmas have a xxxx and chill out like a beer in an esky ya joker

You’re good bro, it’s hard to tell tone over text I wasn’t having a mad cry but it may have seemed that way haha
listen to cosmic psychos

rukes

• Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #182 on: December 20, 2020, 01:09:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
'Glass Barbeque' might have been more apt.
[close]

I already said that bro

The skating was good
[close]

Ok well you didn’t say it in this thread and who the hell has time to scan every other thread before making a joke sheesh cunt lighten up it’s Xmas have a xxxx and chill out like a beer in an esky ya joker
[close]

You’re good bro, it’s hard to tell tone over text I wasn’t having a mad cry but it may have seemed that way haha

Its cool, sorry i went a bit overboard though. You dont have to have a xxxx bitter, that was rude. Have whatever you'd like.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #183 on: December 20, 2020, 05:20:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Youtube's algorithm just prompted me to rewatch this and I enjoyed it so I'll put it here:

Cool to see how the way he skates has evolved since then.
[close]

Haven’t watch that in forever, thanks for the share, so sick.

I think my favourite part has to be The Deathwish video because there’s so many different Greco’s in it. Seriously some multiplicity shit, like a friends section all made up of Greco’s.

Kieth this the greatest
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #184 on: December 20, 2020, 06:56:01 PM »
Even if it wasn't a homeless guy we were talking about, filming someone without their consent, being told to stop, and then continuing to do so is 100% antagonistic behavior. I am shocked that anyone would argue otherwise. Either way, I stand by it being a very trite artistic statement. It's been done to death and it isn't any sort of biting commentary on the status quo. And the fact that there is practically a library's worth of other examples of this within skateboarding media alone proves as such. This does nothing different other than put a fancy film filter over it.

I hope I never have to read another argument about this again after reading this post right here... It is always exploitation for the fact alone that you are using that person's image for whatever statement you are trying to make, and it is beyond played out.

I think some of these interpretations are giving Greco and others guilty of this wayyy too much credit as artists, too. Unless your skate video is dedicated to raising awareness or funds to combat the homelessness problem in this country and includes footage that humanizes homeless people (beyond high fives, stoke, or laughing at/with them), then your artistic statement is just "Woahh look how crazy this homeless person is, that's raw/hilarious." Which, again, is THE most cliche thing to include in a skateboarding video and is undoubtedly lame and harmful.

@madam, I'm Adam already said everything I just did, except he did it much better. Read his post if you are on the fence about this issue.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 07:45:37 PM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #185 on: December 20, 2020, 08:22:47 PM »
Those flustered by some of the contents in this film can go back to living life like this

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #186 on: December 21, 2020, 05:51:51 AM »
What a legend. I enjoyed every minute of that and I already can’t wait for his next one.

Pretty weird they cut off that one back tail though.
I thought it was like a homage to gonz’s video days part where they cut a few tricks off right in the middle. In fact quite a few things in that part gave me video days vibes.
Overall, I thought it was a lot better than some of his other parts where there is slo mo footage of him putting his boots on or whatever to show how arty he is; it was just raw skating and I feel he portrayed it well even if he did chuck a bones brigade and wore the same clothes on different occasions to make it seem like it was all one day, again though maybe a homage because he knows his skate cinema well.

Homeless people footage was raw too, but it could have a deeper message and I honestly feel like sometimes Grecs may have ended up like that had he have pursued the junkie path like so many of his heroes. Maybe it’s showing how skating saved him in the end?

Lots of great tricks in there and yes, he’s still got some monster pop especially with that back tail out of nowhere! There’s probaly more homage tricks in there too but I’m going to need a rewatch.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Dirk_Diggler

« Reply #187 on: December 21, 2020, 09:56:26 AM »
Expand Quote
What a legend. I enjoyed every minute of that and I already can’t wait for his next one.

Pretty weird they cut off that one back tail though.
[close]
I thought it was like a homage to gonz’s video days part where they cut a few tricks off right in the middle. In fact quite a few things in that part gave me video days vibes.
Overall, I thought it was a lot better than some of his other parts where there is slo mo footage of him putting his boots on or whatever to show how arty he is; it was just raw skating and I feel he portrayed it well even if he did chuck a bones brigade and wore the same clothes on different occasions to make it seem like it was all one day, again though maybe a homage because he knows his skate cinema well.

Homeless people footage was raw too, but it could have a deeper message and I honestly feel like sometimes Grecs may have ended up like that had he have pursued the junkie path like so many of his heroes. Maybe it’s showing how skating saved him in the end?

Lots of great tricks in there and yes, he’s still got some monster pop especially with that back tail out of nowhere! There’s probaly more homage tricks in there too but I’m going to need a rewatch.

That’s a really good point actually. I wasn’t even thinking of that the first time watching. Watching it again I definitely get Gonz and Video Days vibes now.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -218
« Reply #188 on: December 21, 2020, 02:24:18 PM »
it was okay. not even close to as good as Baker3 or Deathwish parts

it’s good if you like Tincan Folklore-style artisanal gluten-free boutique skating for the discerning skateboarder

Dirk_Diggler

« Reply #189 on: December 21, 2020, 02:58:40 PM »

it’s good if you like Tincan Folklore-style artisanal gluten-free boutique skating for the discerning skateboarder

Apples and Oranges.

Chapingro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #190 on: December 21, 2020, 09:53:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Even if it wasn't a homeless guy we were talking about, filming someone without their consent, being told to stop, and then continuing to do so is 100% antagonistic behavior. I am shocked that anyone would argue otherwise. Either way, I stand by it being a very trite artistic statement. It's been done to death and it isn't any sort of biting commentary on the status quo. And the fact that there is practically a library's worth of other examples of this within skateboarding media alone proves as such. This does nothing different other than put a fancy film filter over it.
[close]

I hope I never have to read another argument about this again after reading this post right here... It is always exploitation for the fact alone that you are using that person's image for whatever statement you are trying to make, and it is beyond played out.

I think some of these interpretations are giving Greco and others guilty of this wayyy too much credit as artists, too. Unless your skate video is dedicated to raising awareness or funds to combat the homelessness problem in this country and includes footage that humanizes homeless people (beyond high fives, stoke, or laughing at/with them), then your artistic statement is just "Woahh look how crazy this homeless person is, that's raw/hilarious." Which, again, is THE most cliche thing to include in a skateboarding video and is undoubtedly lame and harmful.

@madam, I'm Adam already said everything I just did, except he did it much better. Read his post if you are on the fence about this issue.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #191 on: December 22, 2020, 04:58:49 AM »
yes, defs saw the early stereo influence too!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -70
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #192 on: December 22, 2020, 10:18:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yes, defs saw the early stereo influence too!
this is slap, we're all allergic to gluten
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #193 on: December 22, 2020, 10:38:18 AM »

Please god let Tincan Folklore boutique skating be the next big thing in 2021.

breezer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #194 on: December 22, 2020, 01:16:20 PM »
that was great!  This is how I skate when I close my eyes and imagine......plus the soundtrack was just right.......

BieberStance

• Rep: -17
« Reply #195 on: December 22, 2020, 01:59:43 PM »
i am pretty sure greco monitors this thread. its the only place for his film to be discussed in dept, so it just makes sense.

Thats why i will take this moment here as an opportunity to express my gratitude to him.

thank you for always doing what you want, still delivering solid output, adding a creative component to the skatevideo world, for sharing your melancholy (that i can relate to) and of course for being one of the best dressed to ever do it!

its inspirational and i hope you will not slow down ever soon.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
« Reply #196 on: December 22, 2020, 02:04:53 PM »
dear grecx get a load of this teacher's pet above me

Harrison's Fjord

• Rep: 7
« Reply #197 on: December 22, 2020, 02:05:28 PM »
Cassavettes vibes-- that was great. Loved the whole thing, the repetition, the dreaminess mixed with grittiness. The fs blunt, fs nosegrind, and kickflip pivot fakie  on the planter were especially beautiful.

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #198 on: December 22, 2020, 04:49:41 PM »
The filming was really bad.

Jeez Louis, I would have really enjoyed it if "alcohol shakes" wasn't filming.
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

k-nutz

• Rep: 49
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #199 on: December 22, 2020, 05:26:06 PM »
I really like these edits where the pro only skates one spot and just destroys everything. Kind of like Bobby Worrest at freedom plaza/Pulaski. Skate every part of the spot. Show every one else the highest caliber to aspire to.

muntcuscle

• Rep: 44
« Reply #200 on: December 22, 2020, 07:56:14 PM »
Good luck skating that spot and not running into 30 homeless, and often aggressive people. Downtown is a massive fucken shithole and I'm glad they filmed all the trash, wouldn't be accurate without it. They probably shouldn't have included the shot where the guy asked not to be filmed. But showing the other clips was a harsh reality check. I worked downtown for years and couldn't even get through the parking garage without walking past people smoking crack/meth. I got chased to my car/almost got robbed multiple times and witnessed homeless people doing just about anything imaginable, from jerking off on the sidewalk at 12pm to someone shitting in front of the Whole Foods on Grand Ave. Place is completely gone

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #201 on: December 22, 2020, 07:59:58 PM »
Good luck skating that spot and not running into 30 homeless, and often aggressive people. Downtown is a massive fucken shithole and I'm glad they filmed all the trash, wouldn't be accurate without it. They probably shouldn't have included the shot where the guy asked not to be filmed. But showing the other clips was a harsh reality check. I worked downtown for years and couldn't even get through the parking garage without walking past people smoking crack/meth. I got chased to my car/almost got robbed multiple times and witnessed homeless people doing just about anything imaginable, from jerking off on the sidewalk at 12pm to someone shitting in front of the Whole Foods on Grand Ave. Place is completely gone

Clearly it's still there, this video just came out

muntcuscle

« Reply #202 on: December 22, 2020, 08:09:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

hate to admit that made me laugh

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #203 on: December 22, 2020, 08:17:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Seriously though, I think you might need to think beyond your personal experiences with people in desperate situations and condemn the systems that let people suffer in the streets

muntcuscle

« Reply #204 on: December 22, 2020, 08:23:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Seriously though, I think you might need to think beyond your personal experiences with people in desperate situations and condemn the systems that let people suffer in the streets

I'll give that a go and let you know how big of a difference it makes in these peoples' lives, thanks! Let me know what progress you've made too, it would be constructive for everyone in this thread!

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #205 on: December 22, 2020, 08:26:21 PM »
I wanna be a Baker

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #206 on: December 22, 2020, 08:30:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'll give that a go and let you know how big of a difference it makes in these peoples' lives, thanks! Let me know what progress you've made too, it would be constructive for everyone in this thread!

You are so welcome :)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #207 on: December 22, 2020, 09:00:42 PM »
This is one of the only skate films I've rerun 3x in one day.

I would like a hard copy.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #208 on: December 22, 2020, 09:28:35 PM »
I would also like a hard copy of all his films at some point. I wonder if he will ever try something longer, a Grecs feature film.

kid casserole

• Rep: 6
« Reply #209 on: December 23, 2020, 01:24:30 AM »
I planned on hopping I. Here and being a dick, I had some jokes picked out and then I read comments and was like fuck I have to watch this one before I say mean stuff and then I watched it and thought, I like Jim, what an entertaining career filled with all sorts of wild shit and also seriously heavy ripping skateboarding,  no real filler, a unique but genuinely good style on a skateboard, great parts with great music for the most part and never not entertaining.   This video surprised me on a few levels, his skating is still gnarly even after embracing his evolution and also I had a IRL LOL moment when they showed the homeless guy that stole Jim’s meth pipe from the camera bag hit it underneath the blanket.  Just thinking about how Old Jim would have reacted vs this, I guess he got the footage he wanted and COVID as well?  Who knows but ya great video 👍