Author Topic: Inguinal Hernia *Laparoscopy Surgery 2020  (Read 2450 times)

Abatech

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Inguinal Hernia *Laparoscopy Surgery 2020
« on: December 15, 2020, 03:14:33 AM »
Hi everyone,

Soon I will have laparoscopic hernia surgery from my left groin.

By the way, I've been skateboarding for 27 years as a goofy.

I'm curious about the experiences of skateboarders who have had this surgery.

It's said that laparoscopic surgery is much better and it's possible to return to normal life earlier.

Has anyone experienced this?

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2153
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
Re: Inguinal Hernia *Laparoscopy Surgery 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 11:12:35 PM »
Had that done last year. Took some time off to recover (4 weeks? 6?) and got right back at it.
Hope it goes/went well for ye.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Abatech

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 06:59:46 AM »
I still hesitate to have surgery.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 07:17:42 PM »
If you can postpone it, you prolly ought; one’s hardly the time to be hanging around in a hospital.
Mine was postponed for 3 months when them COVIDs first shut shit down here. In the period between the original surgery date & the eventual one, I actually retaught myself how to skate without straining it too much. It would’ve been only a matter of time before I fucked it up again.
Maybe delay until there are “a few more” vaccines circulating in the general population? Lower the risk involved with a trip to the hospital.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Abatech

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 06:41:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
If you can postpone it, you prolly ought; one’s hardly the time to be hanging around in a hospital.
Mine was postponed for 3 months when them COVIDs first shut shit down here. In the period between the original surgery date & the eventual one, I actually retaught myself how to skate without straining it too much. It would’ve been only a matter of time before I fucked it up again.
Maybe delay until there are “a few more” vaccines circulating in the general population? Lower the risk involved with a trip to the hospital.
Actually, there is no swelling.
There is pain when sitting at home. There is no pain when I skateboarding or take a walk. But it is annoying to have pain at home.
Meanwhile, an 18mm (0.7680 or 11/16 inch) hernia appears on MR. Some doctors say there is no need for surgery under 20mm (0.7874 or 25/32 inch).
Well, did you have swelling, how big was your hernia?

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 06:48:49 PM »
I have no idea how big it was, suffice to say it was visibly noticeable. The Doc shred me a trick for “popping” it back in & that helped when sitting was difficult/uncomfortable, or if I strained it during a session.

jsettle

• Rep: 134
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 05:09:51 AM »
Would love to hear from anyone that got this surgery...I actually have to get surgery for it Feb 8th. This is my first surgery in my life at the age of 31 so im a bit nervous. Were you able to come back 100 percent to skating the same way you were before getting the hernia after healing from the surgery or do you have to scale back some and take it easy? I just want to know that i will come back to what i was on a board and not have to worry about re injuring myself. Even though im not the best skater, i dont want to lose the tricks i have. Hoping i can be back on a board 1 month after the surgery....the dr said i should be able to go 100 percent 4 wks later so we shall see....wish me luck lol

dofrenzy

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 05:45:33 AM »
Just adding my experience here.

I have been living with 3 hernias for a few years (or more).  Age 51.  The typical “inguinal” hernia, left groin, a small one  in my belly button, and I don’t know where the 3rd is....I was in shock at the time, thinking I had one hernia and the doctor said I had 3.

The inguinal hernia is the biggest problem.  For the most part it is OK but last week I started doing planks for core strengthening, and my abs got very sore and weak.  I sneezed a few days ago while walking and my intestines popped out a little through my weakened abs.  I pushed it back in.

We just moved.  The amount of heavy lifting I have done in the past 2 months is ridiculous.  In fact, yesterday I moved all the wood for an outdoor mini-ramp into my basement by myself (e.g. 42 pressure treated 2x6’s) (not to mention loading it on carts at the store, then onto truck, then off of truck).

Early on I wore a hernia belt but the issue seems to take care of itself for the most part and I haven’t worn a hernia belt in a long time (at least a year more like 2 years). 

So you can put me firmly in the “you can cut me open when I really *need* to be cut open”.  I also snowboard with this.  Never have had a problem.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 02:17:39 PM »
I returned to skating at the same level as prior to surgery, with no complications, after about 6 weeks.
My take is: if you’ve got insurance that will cover it, for sure get the procedure done, lest it eventually worsen at a time when your finances are overly strained.
If you’re going to come out of pocket for the whole thing, dofrenzy’s advice isn’t to far off. If you can delay the procedure, consider it. Now is a crap of a time to be in a hospital, even if only for an afternoon.

jsettle

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 05:08:39 PM »
I returned to skating at the same level as prior to surgery, with no complications, after about 6 weeks.
My take is: if you’ve got insurance that will cover it, for sure get the procedure done, lest it eventually worsen at a time when your finances are overly strained.
If you’re going to come out of pocket for the whole thing, dofrenzy’s advice isn’t to far off. If you can delay the procedure, consider it. Now is a crap of a time to be in a hospital, even if only for an afternoon.

Thanks for sharing! Makes me feel better hearing from other skaters that they came back 100 percent. I'm actually in the navy, so it's covered and I'd rather get it done and over with while I can right now so I'll be fully healed once the weather is perfect for skating. I'll post about my recovery on here for anybody else that has questions like me right now. Good to hear from fellow skaters about this instead of normal people who just sit in a house all day when not working

Abatech

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2021, 12:40:05 AM »
Would love to hear from anyone that got this surgery...I actually have to get surgery for it Feb 8th. This is my first surgery in my life at the age of 31 so im a bit nervous. Were you able to come back 100 percent to skating the same way you were before getting the hernia after healing from the surgery or do you have to scale back some and take it easy? I just want to know that i will come back to what i was on a board and not have to worry about re injuring myself. Even though im not the best skater, i dont want to lose the tricks i have. Hoping i can be back on a board 1 month after the surgery....the dr said i should be able to go 100 percent 4 wks later so we shall see....wish me luck lol
I wish you good luck in your surgery. Well, do you know how many mm / inch an inguinal hernia is. Do you have pain while skateboarding or sitting at home?

Fhk

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 02:43:16 AM »
I have had 2 inguinal hernia surgeries, one when I was young and one at 40. The first one was easy peasy, and the second one was after having my gall bladder removed and my appendix out. This one was a lot harder to recover from. I don't know if age was the culprit, or a shifty surgeon but I had quite a bit of swelling and pain after. Fast forward to now, and I have had tremendous pain by one of my repairs. Apparently I have abdominal adhesions by the repair and my colon(not fun). Coincidentally I had surgery for that set for February 8th, but asked to reschedule because that is my birthday lol. I think if you listen to your dr. and more importantly listen to your body you will be back to skating in less than 2 months. Any questions just ask bud, good luck and Don't be nervous. Recovery is nothing compared to what we go through on the daily as skaters..

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 01:33:59 PM »
Check your pm jsettle

If you have a hernia and you are in pain. Get it fixed.

It won‘t heal on its own and the longer you wait the worse it gets and the harder to fix it is.

If you are  young and your hernia isn‘t that big, or if you have a bilateral hernia i‘d go for a laparoscopic approach (TAPP or TePP) both are equal in the outcome, just personal preference of the surgeon.

Tepp method gets you back on track pretty fast, patients could technically jump on a trampolin the next day.

For bigger hernias an open approach Preferably Lichtenstein method sometimes Bassini is the way to go.

Open surgery results in longer recovery time, bigger wound, not beeing able to lift heavy stuff for six weeks, higher infection rates....yet if you have an experienced surgeon and he suggests you to get bassini surgery it might be a plus since that doesnt require implanting a net.

As i said the longer you wait the more likely you are to have to undergo open surgery thous involving longer recovery times.

Also if you don‘t get it fixed it might incarcerate one day resulting in emergency surgery worh probably colon removal at 3:00 am in the morning.

It‘s fine to consult another surgeon if you don‘t feel heard or ripped off.

But in general its simple as that:

If dou have symptoms, if you want to continue to be active (skateboarding, work, sex) get it fixed. 

« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 01:47:33 PM by pica »

jsettle

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 04:59:54 PM »
Check your pm jsettle

It won‘t heal on its own and the longer you wait the worse it gets and the harder to fix it is.

If you are  young and your hernia isn‘t that big, or if you have a bilateral hernia i‘d go for a laparoscopic approach (TAPP or TePP) both are equal in the outcome, just personal preference of the surgeon.

Tepp method gets you back on track pretty fast, patients could technically jump on a trampolin the next day.

For bigger hernias an open approach Preferably Lichtenstein method sometimes Bassini is the way to go.

Open surgery results in longer recovery time, bigger wound, not beeing able to lift heavy stuff for six weeks, higher infection rates....yet if you have an experienced surgeon and he suggests you to get bassini surgery it might be a plus since that doesnt require implanting a net.

As i said the longer you wait the more likely you are to have to undergo open surgery thous involving longer recovery times.

Also if you don‘t get it fixed it might incarcerate one day resulting in emergency surgery worh probably colon removal at 3:00 am in the morning.

If dou have symptoms, if you want to continue to be active (skateboarding, work, sex) get it fixed.

I got your PM and wrote you back one. I appreciate all your info and reaching out to me. Makes me feel better about the whole thing hearing from fellow skaters who know how are body's work for skating. They are doing the laparoscopic way on me and Dr says I should be fully ready to go back to skating and strenuous activities after 4 wks. Starting to feel a lot better about it recently! I'll post my outcome and recovery on here in the coming weeks incase anyone else has questions like me. Appreciate all yalls info so far!

Fhk

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 07:26:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Check your pm jsettle

[close]

I got your PM and wrote you back one. I appreciate all your info and reaching out to me. Makes me feel better about the whole thing hearing from fellow skaters who know how are body's work for skating. They are doing the laparoscopic way on me and Dr says I should be fully ready to go back to skating and strenuous activities after 4 wks. Starting to feel a lot better about it recently! I'll post my outcome and recovery on here in the coming weeks incase anyone else has questions like me. Appreciate all yalls info so far!
I'm glad your feeling better about it! I didn't want my post to seem like a "doomsday report" but it kind of came across that way.. Anyhow It's always funny being a grown man asking a Dr. when we can skate again..especially when the sense of urgency is probably very noticeable. Any questions during recovery feel free to reach out Pal on here or PM.

jsettle

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2021, 09:52:20 AM »
Got the surgery this morning and everything went good with it....a little sore from the incisions but overall I'm good. Will post updates over this recovery process. Im going to go for some walks tomorrow to get the blood flowing. Looks like I'll be revisiting all of my old skate DVDs and watching them all these first 2 weeks. I got about 115 skate vids so Im set lololol.

Fhk

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2021, 05:48:33 PM »
Got the surgery this morning and everything went good with it....a little sore from the incisions but overall I'm good. Will post updates over this recovery process. Im going to go for some walks tomorrow to get the blood flowing. Looks like I'll be revisiting all of my old skate DVDs and watching them all these first 2 weeks. I got about 115 skate vids so Im set lololol.
Glad it went good..one of your new goals should be to not get bound up. Keep that body moving, eat foods that will move through you quickly and ditch the pain pills, they were my worst enemy. The reason I mention this is trying to push hard is not fun after they have cut through your abdominal wall. Kind of weird to give such advice to a stranger, but I sure wish someone had given it to me. Heal up quick man.

jsettle

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2021, 06:04:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Glad it went good..one of your new goals should be to not get bound up. Keep that body moving, eat foods that will move through you quickly and ditch the pain pills, they were my worst enemy. The reason I mention this is trying to push hard is not fun after they have cut through your abdominal wall. Kind of weird to give such advice to a stranger, but I sure wish someone had given it to me. Heal up quick man.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah i used to take pain pill recreational back in the day and know they can stop me up. i'm definitely not taking all the pills. I'm thinking after tomorrow i wont really need them. Pushing out shit doesn't sound fun at all right now so i dont even want to be dealing with that. Thanks for the advice and kind words!

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2021, 10:09:48 PM »
Congrats, all the best!

Abatech

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2021, 06:54:33 AM »

Get well soon bro, I think it's my turn now.

jsettle

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2021, 07:35:08 AM »
Thanks man. I'm on day 6 after surgery and i feel really good now. I'm going to follow the doctors rules since im old now and have responsibilities, but i feel like i could actually do some light skating at this point so i know by the 1 month mark i will be feeling really good and ready to skate. If you have any questions about the surgery let me know and id be glad to let you know how it was for me. Definately not as bad as i thought it would be but im taking it really slow and easy to make sure i heal up the correct way.

dofrenzy

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2021, 03:21:50 AM »
Jsettle, thank you for the follow-up on your surgery.  It is super helpful.

jsettle

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2021, 06:22:59 PM »
Jsettle, thank you for the follow-up on your surgery.  It is super helpful.

No problem! Let me know if you have any questions. Are you getting the surgery or thinking about it?

dofrenzy

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2021, 05:35:31 AM »
No problem! Let me know if you have any questions. Are you getting the surgery or thinking about it?

Just thinking about it....I’ve been living with 3 hernias for some years now but will probably need a procedure at some point.  Reading about your experience is encouraging!

jsettle

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2021, 06:13:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just thinking about it....I’ve been living with 3 hernias for some years now but will probably need a procedure at some point.  Reading about your experience is encouraging!

Gotcha. Yeah I'm just about at my 2 week mark now and I feel great. Of course there's some slight pain here and there depending on how I move but it's nothing a skater isn't used to. A good friend of mine actually got surgery the same day as me by the same surgeon a couple hours after mine and he feels really good at the 2 week mark as well. It's almost like a a switch was turned at the 7 day mark to just make me feel way better. If you are able to get it it done I think it's definitely not as bad as it sounds or as bad as I thought it would be. I've already got plans to film a little part when I get back on the board at the 1 month mark! Definitely ready to skate again

jsettle

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2021, 02:55:54 PM »
55 days later and i hopped on my board today. Felt so good to finally cruise around and push!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMS0IwvF8Sv/

Fhk

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2021, 05:20:54 PM »
55 days later and i hopped on my board today. Felt so good to finally cruise around and push!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMS0IwvF8Sv/
Hell yes! The whole process sucks pretty bad, I'm glad that your all mended up man.

chumponthis

• Rep: 5
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2022, 09:27:51 AM »
Had an Inguinal Hernia A few years back and here's my experience pre and post-surgery in Canada:

Noticed I had a bulge in the groin area but was rather quite small. Didn't bother getting it checked as it was small and unpainful. My dad also had one in the past and just told me to check for size increase or pain.

After 8 months or so, I noticed the bulge increasing quite drastically and when I skated I could feel it. It was so odd, it didn't hurt at all, even if I slammed, but the bulge was just so big it was discomforting. During this time, I started getting these gnarly stomach cramps all the time- to the point of not being able to move for several hours. DR never confirmed this, but I believe since my intestine was in a different area, food had a hard time passing causing these cramps.

Checked in to the hospital to get it checked and the DR referred me to a specialist to get the surgery. Was on the waiting list for 5 months (pre-covid).

I had booked a  camping skate/surf trip in Hawaii with a pal of mine and decided to go. Was nervous about it at first, considering if anything happens in the states, I would be financially fucked, regardless of travelers' insurance that doesn't cover these pre-existing conditions. Nevertheless, I didn't experience any sort of pain or discomfort for my whole trip.

When I get back home, my cramps and bulge size worsen, but I get the call I was bumped on the waiting list and could get surgery in the next 2 weeks (after waiting a full year for this surgery).

Before surgery, classic routine, couldn't eat for 12h pre-surgery or drink or take any type of medication. The surgery I was receiving was to cut my lower abdomen, reposition the intestine where it should be, and patch the hole with a mesh. DR told me it would be a 2-3 weeks recovery.

They put me under using Fentanyl, surgery went well, but damn when I woke up was I ever fucked. I've been under before, but this time it felt like I was hit by a train. Body Aches, Cold sweats, Nausea, and finally Vomiting. I was fucked for 48H. Nevertheless, the worst part was when I was at home and the pain pills they gave me at the hospital started to wear down... Holy shit, I thought maybe I could recover and gulp the pain without pills, but that was the single stupidest idea I ever had. Was on tramadol for a week, taking two per day and not moving from my bed. Considering I was taking opiates, I couldn't shit at all for a week and couldn't force it as it would rip my staples. Please be advised, taking laxatives is your best friend during this period. I fucking wish I was advised earlier to take some.

Anyways, the first week was a bitch, but still showed up to work after 5 days. I started moving around more and going to work regularly in the next week. The pain was there but it was manageable. No way I could skate or do any type of strenuous exercise. Got my staples out at the end of week 2. The weeks that followed were much better and I feel like I could walk like a normal person, and not with some weird limp and tart stretching and do small exercises.

So after week 4, felt no pain or discomfort so I was cruising on my board trying to build muscle again and feel good on the board. Week 5, I started cracking ollies on the sidewalk, and after that, I slowly got back to skating normally. Week 7, I took a pretty heavy slam just 50 ing a QP, right on my side where the surgery had happened. To my blessing, there was no pain or any indication in that area that my shit got fucked so from there, it was on!!

Fast forward to now (2 years after surgery) I fully recovered and never experienced any pain or discomfort. I worked a labor-intensive job for a few months skated a lot, and had no problems at all.

In conclusion, I would thoroughly recommend doing the surgery.