Author Topic: Long Shot: help ID Tom Penny's skate shoes circa '96  (Read 5336 times)

kingpinuser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 54
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Long Shot: help ID Tom Penny's skate shoes circa '96
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2021, 05:03:33 PM »
About a year ago there was a thread on here where a poster sought help identifying Guy's obscure Nike ACGs in "Mouse", which actually ended up being successful. On a similar note, I've always been intrigued by these shoes that Tom wore at the Huntington Park in this footage from one of Danny Minnick's videos that was later made into a Ghetto Child commercial in an early Logic video.

Clearly they're all black, they've got a runner's toe, they've got a silver or white Air Force 1 style "lace jewel" where the laces start, they have a uniquely long toebox that almost makes them look like a moccasin, and in the screen shot where Tom's about to nollie 360 off the hip over the bar you can see that the heel and the forefoot have an interesting shape as well –– almost Prada Sport-ish. They actually kind of look smilar to his infamous Columbia boots, but they're the wrong color and different enough.

So, they might be sneakers, they might be boots, and I sure as shit don't know what brand they are. The chance of this one being successful are slim, but let's see if anyone knows.

The Shoes:

The Video (say what you will about Minnick, but this is a pretty nicely put together mini part):

and his Columbia boots, for good measure:

Late on this, But Minnick said they were Nike, so yeah best guess they were these from that time period. Nike ACG Boot

They come with a sliver lace thing, this pair just doesn't have it on.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 988
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2021, 05:31:32 PM »
nike airstab has a similar kinda triangular outline of a panel that you can just make out in the closest photo

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2021, 01:23:26 PM »
Bump, because Tom Penny and I learned a few things in this thread. That was all highly entertaining. :)
IG: @flowterspace

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2021, 01:38:07 PM »
Almost looks like an all black pair of DC Clockers, but not sure if they were out yet. No DCSHOECOUSA on the heel, though could have been blacked out if they are indeed Clockers.

One of these is the Clocker 2, not sure which one.

Yup it’s those ^ he skates them in a line in menikmati when he switch ollied up the ledge, switch flips flat ground and the switch fs flips off

freddiethreepwood

• Rep: 24
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2021, 01:55:11 PM »
Clockers weren't bulbous. These look more like adidas FYW Secant or XTA.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2021, 08:18:36 AM »
here's my theory:

i still think he wears all black air mowabbs, but i guess if he rode for dc at the time or was trying to get on, he might have laced a jewel through the laces to have a dc logo on?

pic of mowabbs, i really think these come closest to the shoes he's wearing in the clip.

edit: had the wrong mowabbs linked, inserted the actual ones i mean.