Author Topic: Why do most people ride frontside on transition?  (Read 2141 times)

nickan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Why do most people ride frontside on transition?
« on: December 16, 2020, 06:05:05 PM »
I haven't been skating for very long but for the few months that I've been skating, I've pretty much learned all my transition backside only. However, whenever I go to the park all the guys that rip at transition and are really good seem to only pump or carve frontside. This is the same thing for pro skaters. Pretty much every transition pro rider I've seen, they all seem to predominantly ride only frontside. Is there any benefits to riding frontside besides looking better? If so then I think I'll probably just start riding frontside full time from now on to get my frontside pumping/carving as good as my backside riding.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
Re: Why do most people ride frontside on transition?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 11:58:43 PM »
SHOWING OFF YOUR GENITALS > SHOWING OFF YOUR ASS
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 08:40:08 AM »
Frontside is way easier for me. The Frontside Grind is one of the best feelings in skateboarding. Slash, Standup, 5050, Smith... even curb slappy. As long as I can do a frontside slash, I'll keep rolling.

But don't listen to me...

nickan

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 12:58:49 PM »
Frontside is way easier for me. The Frontside Grind is one of the best feelings in skateboarding. Slash, Standup, 5050, Smith... even curb slappy. As long as I can do a frontside slash, I'll keep rolling.

from side slashes look absolutely amazing to me. That's like one large reason I wanna learn frontside. One, because more availability riding transition since I can flow around both ways, and two just cause of how sick those slashes and other grinds look.

Do you have any tips for getting good at frontside?

nickan

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 01:01:03 PM »
2:06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=125&v=bm2xapjeX6o&feature=youtu.be

fuck it I'm gonna adapt to riding frontside full time now looks so much better and slashes seem easier to get into. Any tips for getting good at it?

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 01:11:59 PM »

fuck it I'm gonna adapt to riding frontside full time now looks so much better and slashes seem easier to get into. Any tips for getting good at it?
Full confidence in the slash, that way you end up in that perfect sideways lock in that just goes forever.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 05:30:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

from side slashes look absolutely amazing to me. That's like one large reason I wanna learn frontside. One, because more availability riding transition since I can flow around both ways, and two just cause of how sick those slashes and other grinds look.

Do you have any tips for getting good at frontside?

That's a great question. I have been doing it for as long as I have been skateboarding transition. A long long time. What I usually tell kids and beginners is to just treat your first slash grinds as kick turns on the coping. Once you are comfortable doing that you can angle the grind better and push it a bit longer. A good slash has your arse below the back truck. Complete opposite weight distribution of a stand up. Stand ups feel amazing also but it is very very different 'trick.'

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 06:44:18 PM »
The difference is the medium.....I always sucked at frontside on ramps because I'd always slip out.  Once I started skating concrete it came more natural.....

I always said there are 3 types of transition skaters: backside 50-50/axel stall guy, Rock fakie/tail tap guy, and frontside guy.

nickan

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 09:20:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's a great question. I have been doing it for as long as I have been skateboarding transition. A long long time. What I usually tell kids and beginners is to just treat your first slash grinds as kick turns on the coping. Once you are comfortable doing that you can angle the grind better and push it a bit longer. A good slash has your arse below the back truck. Complete opposite weight distribution of a stand up. Stand ups feel amazing also but it is very very different 'trick.'

Thanks for the advice! I can already do backside slashes somewhat well, they honestly look more like a smith grind than a slash because I kind of do them weird and doing long straight slashes across coping feels kinda weird when doing it backside. I agree that slashes are basically a kick turn that you keep practicing until you reach the coping and wa-la you have a slash. I think frontslide slashes however will be easier and smoother to maneuver and control from what I've seen. I think you might've thought that I was asking how to do a front slide slash but I meant getting good at just riding frontside. I can ride backside really well and do kickturns, carve bowls, and basically all the standard necessities on pretty decently sized quarterpipes. However when I ride frontside it's a different ballpark and I feel so uncomfortable riding fs as of now. What would you advise to practice/do to get good at frontside pumping/carving and just flowing around?

nickan

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 09:22:41 PM »
The difference is the medium.....I always sucked at frontside on ramps because I'd always slip out.  Once I started skating concrete it came more natural.....

I always said there are 3 types of transition skaters: backside 50-50/axel stall guy, Rock fakie/tail tap guy, and frontside guy.

lmao i generally see those 3 types of transition skaters as well. Right now I'm stuck as a backside 5050 guy but hopefully I'll be able to be all three categorized into one. I have a friend who's been riding transition for a while and although he carves/pumps frontside he does a majority of his grind tricks backside besides slashes. He can still do a lot of front side tricks though which is weird

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 10:22:02 PM »
After over 30 years of skating, I've finally skated a mini where axel stalls and 50-50's were in my mix versus Rock fakies and tail stalls.... For some reason frontside 50-50's kicked in too...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 11:15:33 PM »
However when I ride frontside it's a different ballpark and I feel so uncomfortable riding fs as of now. What would you advise to practice/do to get good at frontside pumping/carving and just flowing around?

The most common things that will help are to stay low and look over your shoulder when you turn frontside, as in look where you are going, turn your upper body which in turn will get the rest of you and your board turning too, but by staying low and keeping your weight centered you can stay on your board.  As soon as you end up on your back foot, you are more likely to manual and slip out of whatever it is you are doing.

Also (this comes back to the basics on flat ground but it is worth a mention) when you turn, lean into it, so if you are turning backside, you put more weight on your toe side before you turn.  For frontside, you must get more weight on to your heel side, then look over your shoulder, lift to turn but then make sure you get those front wheels back down, make a noise with them hitting the ground and stay compressed - lower to the ground - which will keep your weight over the board more than on your back foot.

This will help with getting your turns a lot better on anything going frontside and in turn getting any frontside tricks too, but usually low carving turns on mellow transition are the best way to get your balance and confidence up.  Also doing frontside turns at the top of banks will get you more used to getting the feeling of the board going over the lip of ramps too, which can often throw your balance off once you get them up higher on transition with big coping or a concrete edge.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2020, 01:09:39 PM »
I am better at backside on tranny. In saying that, its been a few years since I have, but I could lock into a BS smith way better than a fs grind. Definitely started as a BS 50-50 guy

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2020, 04:30:44 PM »
I think looking over your shoulder is a great tip, since I think for me what makes frontside harder/less natural than backside at first is the fact that you can't actually see the wall beneath you and have to trust yourself to complete the kickturn/slash.

The exaggerated effort to look over your should helped me feel more comfortable trying slashes and working my way up to standing up on fs grinds. Learning fs rock also really helped with this technique because it forces you to do that look-over-your-shoulder thing.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Frank and Fred

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2020, 07:03:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the advice! I can already do backside slashes somewhat well, they honestly look more like a smith grind than a slash because I kind of do them weird and doing long straight slashes across coping feels kinda weird when doing it backside. I agree that slashes are basically a kick turn that you keep practicing until you reach the coping and wa-la you have a slash. I think frontslide slashes however will be easier and smoother to maneuver and control from what I've seen. I think you might've thought that I was asking how to do a front slide slash but I meant getting good at just riding frontside. I can ride backside really well and do kickturns, carve bowls, and basically all the standard necessities on pretty decently sized quarterpipes. However when I ride frontside it's a different ballpark and I feel so uncomfortable riding fs as of now. What would you advise to practice/do to get good at frontside pumping/carving and just flowing around?

Round wall and halfpipe require different approaches. How loose do you ride your trucks? For pumping around bowls, pools etc. Looser trucks can help. Its all about weighting and unweighting... and it  feels different frontside for sure... Also try a narrower stance. If your feet are super far apart a frontside carve can be awkward (unless you are Peter Hewitt).