Author Topic: Ankle brace help  (Read 705 times)

Sanka Coffie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
  • The best push-cart driver in all of Jamaica
Ankle brace help
« on: October 23, 2021, 08:55:13 AM »
I fractured my ankle 4 months ago and my doctor and physical therapist told me I’m good to start skating again with a lace up ankle brace. My problem  is the brace barely fits in my shoe or makes it puff out all dumb looking. I’ve tried skating in a compression sleeve and choked out high tops but it doesn’t feel that stable. Anyone know of a good brace that fits well in shoes?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Ankle brace help
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 12:45:14 PM »
I've had good luck with this one:

https://aryse.com/product/ifast?color=black

As with any ankle brace, shoes can hinder or help depending the fit of the brace.

Movies

• Rep: 7
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 02:38:56 PM »
I've been looking for a good ankle brace too. This one looks fucking solid. Cheers Xen

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 03:10:29 PM »

As with any ankle brace, shoes can hinder or help depending the fit of the brace.

2nd on the Aryse.  Good shit there.  I wish these were around when I was a kid and fucking up my ankles constantly
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

theoriginalgoon

• Rep: -61
  • eight equals d
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 04:50:09 PM »

thanks for the reference on this, ill probably end up getting one of these after i heal from surgery
Me: I found skate Jesus.

Slap: Yeah, well maybe if he does the crucifix switch I will believe it.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 06:03:34 PM »
I think it might be stupid to ask but i will go for it. Are there any solutions that provide vertical support? My leg keeps crushing into my foot and the situation does not seem to improve. The ankle feels pefectly stable against tweaks but cannot support any impact. Has anyone had this? It is mainly the heel, if i step on a stone with my heel without copensating, it hurts like hell.
Wishing quick recovery to all!!
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 09:03:44 AM »
I fractured my ankle 4 months ago and my doctor and physical therapist told me I’m good to start skating again with a lace up ankle brace. My problem  is the brace barely fits in my shoe or makes it puff out all dumb looking. I’ve tried skating in a compression sleeve and choked out high tops but it doesn’t feel that stable. Anyone know of a good brace that fits well in shoes?

https://etceteraproject.com/products/ankle-brace

ETC ankle brace is the only one that fits in your shoe without being too bulky and you can still flick but supports your ankle. the only brace ill use if i have an ankle injury.  space brace makes one similar but ETC is Ronnie Creagars brand and fits slimmer. Johnny Giger wears them on both ankles anytime he skates. hope it helps get your back on your board

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 09:05:30 AM »
I think it might be stupid to ask but i will go for it. Are there any solutions that provide vertical support? My leg keeps crushing into my foot and the situation does not seem to improve. The ankle feels pefectly stable against tweaks but cannot support any impact. Has anyone had this? It is mainly the heel, if i step on a stone with my heel without copensating, it hurts like hell.

you need to learn to soak up the impact with your knees and quads by squatting slightly when you land.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1927
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 09:29:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

ETC ankle brace is the only one that fits in your shoe without being too bulky and you can still flick but supports your ankle. the only brace ill use if i have an ankle injury.  space brace makes one similar but ETC is Ronnie Creagars brand and fits slimmer. Johnny Giger wears them on both ankles anytime he skates. hope it helps get your back on your board

+1 on the ETC brace. Been wearing one for over a year and it's prevented slight ankle rolls from becoming major ones. Fits with shoes without needing to go up 1/2 a size. Easy to wash too.

Avoid the compression ankle guards. They don't provide any support and only compression, so good for recovery but insufficient for actual skateboarding.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2021, 09:58:08 AM »
I haven't tried it, but a friend who plays soccer, skis and snowboards highly recommends taping and not an ankle brace. This is the video he sent me

This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2021, 10:19:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you need to learn to soak up the impact with your knees and quads by squatting slightly when you land.

Haha thanks for the advice but my pain comes from injury. I am getting it looked at by a doctor next Monday and hopefully operated soon. I have had minor issues with this ankle since 1998 when i originally injured it (was out for 5 months) but the last year has been a nightmare.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2021, 03:14:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I also own the etc. brace, and it is not the only one that fits in your shoe, isn’t bulky and still lets you flik.

The Arya’s ifast does as well. In fact, I found the etc. much more restrictive when it comes to flik.

That’s said, I still use these two and a few others based on the degree of ankle issues I’m having.

Personally, the Arya’s is the best fit for me, having actually tried both, and numerous others.

YMMV. But I still find athletic tape robe the best all around due to its flexibility as you can really dictate where and how much support or compression you get.