Author Topic: Does Tyshawn still skate?  (Read 15035 times)

Pete

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 721
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Does Tyshawn still skate?
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2020, 09:45:03 AM »
Just cause he's not riding around aimlessly in a big white cargo van eating chic fil-a and drinking starbucks with 8 middle aged drone filmers, sitting in LA traffic and begging the black label dudes for spot pins, does not mean he's not skating.

this made me laugh. who the fuck are "the black label dudes" do they still make things? what happened to chris troy

reminded me of the time nobody would tell the chief where albany pool was on kotr so he had to get directions from and bring a crew of scooterers with him there

free max b
FREE MAX B

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2020, 10:10:35 AM »
Also would like to point out that Elijah was on FA for a couple of years before dropping a bunch of footy in 2020 and no one tried to imply that he wasn’t skating during that stretch in between. Just saying 🤷🏾.

? yes people were. KRod, Elijah, Guy, Ben Raybourn, etc. Whenever someone dips for years at a time, people ask questions. I dunno why people are trying to make this into a weird race thing

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2020, 10:27:44 AM »
I don’t think it’s 100% a race thing (for example no one asked about Al Davis until about a twice as long footage gap), but it does factor in. I do think Tyshawn being a young black guy that doesn’t look like a skateboarder plays a part in some of the offbeat criticism he gets.

People on here have called him the next Antwuan, people have said he’s one of the dumbest skaters around, and some dude is now asking if he doesn’t skate anymore just because he’s not on Instagram like that and hasn’t had a full part in 2 years? That’s bullshit in my opinion.

Also I’ve never read anyone shitting on Berle for his footage gap, and people love shitting on him.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 10:41:53 AM by Lenny the Fatface »

zahed

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2020, 10:34:22 AM »
This man just casually SW FS flipped the bond street gap for an instagram post

spanky on supreme?

Good and Evil

• Rep: 3
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2020, 10:36:03 AM »
Well would you look at that -

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2020, 10:52:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Just cause he's not riding around aimlessly in a big white cargo van eating chic fil-a and drinking starbucks with 8 middle aged drone filmers, sitting in LA traffic and begging the black label dudes for spot pins, does not mean he's not skating.
[close]

this made me laugh. who the fuck are "the black label dudes" do they still make things? what happened to chris troy

reminded me of the time nobody would tell the chief where albany pool was on kotr so he had to get directions from and bring a crew of scooterers with him there

free max b

• Chief calls a shop and demands to know the location of a spot
  • Gets upset because he wasn't given the location because he'll ruin the spot
  • Goes to mall shop to get scooter kids to guide him to the spot
  • Puts the exact location of the spot in his Thrasher write-up because he's a wiener that wants to ruin the spot

Still the perfect story to show how supremely unlikeable Jamie is as a person.

AfterBlackEnderEnder

« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2020, 11:31:23 AM »
produced by ty evans

And to think a company with this sort of cutting edge marketing material can sell a clay brick for $500

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 721
  • Free Max B
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2020, 11:36:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

free max b
[close]

• Chief calls a shop and demands to know the location of a spot
  • Gets upset because he wasn't given the location because he'll ruin the spot
  • Goes to mall shop to get scooter kids to guide him to the spot
  • Puts the exact location of the spot in his Thrasher write-up because he's a wiener that wants to ruin the spot
[/b]
[/list]

Still the perfect story to show how supremely unlikeable Jamie is as a person.

damn i forgot about that part. surprised he never caught lou metals fade for that one.

free max b
FREE MAX B

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2020, 12:13:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How dare a successful young black man in America have an ego, or want more out of life than what skateboarding has to offer?!

As others have pointed out, he still rips.
[close]

Dude, that's the whole thing.  Do you remember how cocky you were at 21 vs your late 20's/early 30's?  He's still a kid.

And shouts for pursuing paths outside of skateboarding.  I for one didn't expect his first venture to be a restaurant, but good on him.
[close]
also could you imagine how much excitement and pride he feels being able to live the life he lives and take care of his family the way he does after how he grew up? that story about him getting 80,000 stolen from his mom still blows my mind

What was the story with his mom?

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2020, 12:19:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How dare a successful young black man in America have an ego, or want more out of life than what skateboarding has to offer?!

[close]

Dude, that's the whole thing.  Do you remember how cocky you were at 21 vs your late 20's/early 30's?  He's still a kid.

And shouts for pursuing paths outside of skateboarding.  I for one didn't expect his first venture to be a restaurant, but good on him.
[close]
also could you imagine how much excitement and pride he feels being able to live the life he lives and take care of his family the way he does after how he grew up? that story about him getting 80,000 stolen from his mom still blows my mind
[close]

it's in this: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/08/29/magazine/tyshawn-jones.html

[/quote]
She was keeping most of her life savings stashed in her bedroom. She had her reasons, but even so, $80,000 isn’t easily hidden from two little boys. Tyshawn and Bryan soon figured out where it was, and they would ‘‘pick at it,’’ in Tyshawn’s words, to buy skateboards and movie tickets. The family lived in the biggest unit in a condo building in Hackensack, a nice place with a doorman and a shared swimming pool. Sometimes friends would come over to use the pool. Once, Bryan showed off this gigantic pile of cash to a couple of friends from school.

Those same friends came back one day when Tyshawn was home alone, asking if they could go for a swim. Tyshawn let them in. They asked if they could use the bathroom beforehand — both of them. Tyshawn sent one down the hall and the other upstairs to the bathroom off the master bedroom. The one he’d sent upstairs came back down holding his towel awkwardly in front of him and saying they’d changed their minds, and didn’t feel like swimming anymore. Tyshawn sent them on their way. ‘‘I’m a kid; I’m not thinking anything,’’ he told me. ‘‘I’m, like, 10 years old.’’ A few days later, when he was at school, his mother called him in tears. Nearly all the money was missing.

Henry went to the police, only to be told, she says, that she couldn’t press charges against the boys unless she also pressed charges against her own sons, who were technically involved. Not only was the money gone, but Bryan had to watch the thieves enjoy it. ‘‘They were probably 13 years old with $80,000, cash,’’ Tyshawn recalls. ‘‘There was so much money, they were giving it away in school.’’

Left with an overwhelming sense of guilt, Tyshawn started casting about for ways to help replace the money. He was a clever kid. He’d trick the doorman into looking for something in the package room, then snatch apartment keys off the wall. ‘‘I was young and dumb,’’ he says, so he thought everyone had huge piles of cash hidden in their bedrooms. They didn’t, but he found other stuff to grab. He eventually got caught, and in the aftermath of all of this, the family moved back to the Bronx. ‘‘When I moved to New York, I would just think about that money,’’ Jones says. ‘‘I gotta get that money back for my mom. I gotta get that money back for my mom.’’
[/quote]

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2020, 12:24:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Tyshawn's Mom kept her entire life's savings in her bedroom hidden away. Tyshawn and his brother found it, took some here and there, and told their friends about it. One of the friends came over to their house and ended up stealing everything. They weren't able to press charges on the kids, and the kids basically spent/wasted the money in plain sight of the Jones family. He talked about feeling insanely guilty about it and how he'd been looking for ways to get her money back. He's probably having the best time ever taking care of his family now.

Hombreezy

« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2020, 02:20:53 PM »
Also would like to point out that Elijah was on FA for a couple of years before dropping a bunch of footy in 2020 and no one tried to imply that he wasn’t skating during that stretch in between. Just saying 🤷🏾.
Lol I’ll point out the elephant in the room for you. There’s demand for tyshawn footage. There’s absolutely no demand for Berle footage

BroBruhBra

• Rep: -20
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2020, 02:23:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Lol I’ll point out the elephant in the room for you. There’s demand for tyshawn footage. There’s absolutely no demand for Berle footage

Elijah is a strange one. He has all the right stuff but somehow comes across as unlikeable. I was surprised when no one around here mentioned his new part (at least I don't think anyone did). Gilbert got more attention.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2020, 02:46:10 PM »
I don’t think it’s 100% a race thing (for example no one asked about Al Davis until about a twice as long footage gap), but it does factor in. I do think Tyshawn being a young black guy that doesn’t look like a skateboarder plays a part in some of the offbeat criticism he gets.

People on here have called him the next Antwuan, people have said he’s one of the dumbest skaters around, and some dude is now asking if he doesn’t skate anymore just because he’s not on Instagram like that and hasn’t had a full part in 2 years? That’s bullshit in my opinion.

Also I’ve never read anyone shitting on Berle for his footage gap, and people love shitting on him.

100% this.
It’s not like every criticism of him is racist, but some most definitely are, even if the person posting it doesn’t even know it...shit is not simple (or so black and white, harhar).

Tyshawn obviously is smart and capable as fuck. Proof is all there.
Pro before the age of 18 on one of the most popular board brand.
Owns a hardware company, du rag company, multiple(?) restaurants, breeds bulldogs, probably other shit too.
Pro model on adidas.
Multiple full parts in the last five years.
Last SOTY pick from Phelps.
Front boardslid a fucking moving construction vehicle in traffic.
Blah blah blah.

Barring any unforeseen circumstances he has a full decade worth of absolutely prime skating, and I for one can’t wait to see it unfold. Dude fucking rips and is so fun to watch. Hopefully he starts to skate transition more.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2020, 02:47:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

::)

Feel like he’s the only SOTY to disappear straight after taking the trophy, almost forget he even won the award. Is he injured or something?

Yeah totally sounds like a guy yearning for some new Tyshawn footy and just curious on the whereabouts of one of his favorite skaters lol.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 03:04:46 PM by Lenny the Fatface »

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2020, 03:48:56 PM »
Someone definitely should have told Tyshawn's mom about these things called safe deposit boxes. They are at banks and they are not in your house, it's neat.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2020, 03:50:48 PM »
Someone definitely should have told Tyshawn's mom about these things called safe deposit boxes. They are at banks and they are not in your house, it's neat.

sounds like a dude that doesn't have the historical knowledge of why a whole lotta black folks in america don't trust banks

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2020, 03:54:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

sounds like a dude that doesn't have the historical knowledge of why a whole lotta black folks in america don't trust banks

Sounds like a dude that doesn't know what a nice fireproof safe you could buy for well under $80,000. Or any other number of options if you are more interested in protecting your cash than critical race theory.

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2020, 04:50:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Sounds like a dude that doesn't know what a nice fireproof safe you could buy for well under $80,000. Or any other number of options if you are more interested in protecting your cash than critical race theory.

Well, your initial post was only about using a bank and not at all about fireproof safes. Articulate your thoughts fully on the first go, bitch.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2020, 06:32:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i hope one day ur car gets stolen so i can tell you about the value of “the club (tm)” while you panic-call your stepdad to line up a new one

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 984
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2021, 08:01:28 AM »
primitive part new years day

free max b

i am salty  >:(

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2021, 08:23:53 AM »
Expand Quote
primitive part new years day

free max b
[close]

i am salty  >:(

Yeah what's up with that. When I was drinking on NYE I was thinking I'll feel like shit tomorrow, but hey, there will be a new Tyshawn part too.

muntcuscle

• Rep: 44
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2021, 10:26:14 AM »

I agree that antwuan comps are def kinda racist. Every black skater seems to only get compared to other black skaters which makes no sense.

Tyshawn is dope and imo is top 3 most enjoyable skaters to watch. And how can anyone not respect his dedication to being successful, saving money, starting his own businesses, and taking care of his own. I don't think the lack of footage criticism is a racial thing though, there's threads every week asking what happened to X skater

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2021, 12:47:05 PM »
People wanna see him skate. Pretty weird stuff.

BroBruhBra

• Rep: -20
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2021, 01:00:06 PM »
The Antwuan comparisons are definitely racist. They have nothing in common.

TheAmericanAntique

• Rep: 10
« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2021, 01:10:38 PM »
Tyshawn’s parts have substance. So I don’t mind them being on repeat for a few years. It’s always a double edge sword, yes I’d love to see footage everyday but it wouldn’t hit the same as waiting. Skating has turned into a sport in the sense that yes there are a lot of good people skating but whose adding a flare or following / doing it in a different way and that is what we need to keep alive... I digress.

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 57
« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2021, 01:27:52 PM »
Tyshawn’s parts have substance. So I don’t mind them being on repeat for a few years. It’s always a double edge sword, yes I’d love to see footage everyday but it wouldn’t hit the same as waiting. Skating has turned into a sport in the sense that yes there are a lot of good people skating but whose adding a flare or following / doing it in a different way and that is what we need to keep alive... I digress.

This. It’s rare for someone’s footage to have staying power right now, and Tyshawns does. He is special in that sense, so people will hate him. I agree that his catch on some flip tricks is a bit odd but it’s all those little things that make his footage rewatchable.
Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2021, 01:53:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
it's in this: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/08/29/magazine/tyshawn-jones.html

She was keeping most of her life savings stashed in her bedroom. She had her reasons, but even so, $80,000 isn’t easily hidden from two little boys. Tyshawn and Bryan soon figured out where it was, and they would ‘‘pick at it,’’ in Tyshawn’s words, to buy skateboards and movie tickets. The family lived in the biggest unit in a condo building in Hackensack, a nice place with a doorman and a shared swimming pool. Sometimes friends would come over to use the pool. Once, Bryan showed off this gigantic pile of cash to a couple of friends from school.

Those same friends came back one day when Tyshawn was home alone, asking if they could go for a swim. Tyshawn let them in. They asked if they could use the bathroom beforehand — both of them. Tyshawn sent one down the hall and the other upstairs to the bathroom off the master bedroom. The one he’d sent upstairs came back down holding his towel awkwardly in front of him and saying they’d changed their minds, and didn’t feel like swimming anymore. Tyshawn sent them on their way. ‘‘I’m a kid; I’m not thinking anything,’’ he told me. ‘‘I’m, like, 10 years old.’’ A few days later, when he was at school, his mother called him in tears. Nearly all the money was missing.

Henry went to the police, only to be told, she says, that she couldn’t press charges against the boys unless she also pressed charges against her own sons, who were technically involved. Not only was the money gone, but Bryan had to watch the thieves enjoy it. ‘‘They were probably 13 years old with $80,000, cash,’’ Tyshawn recalls. ‘‘There was so much money, they were giving it away in school.’’

Left with an overwhelming sense of guilt, Tyshawn started casting about for ways to help replace the money. He was a clever kid. He’d trick the doorman into looking for something in the package room, then snatch apartment keys off the wall. ‘‘I was young and dumb,’’ he says, so he thought everyone had huge piles of cash hidden in their bedrooms. They didn’t, but he found other stuff to grab. He eventually got caught, and in the aftermath of all of this, the family moved back to the Bronx. ‘‘When I moved to New York, I would just think about that money,’’ Jones says. ‘‘I gotta get that money back for my mom. I gotta get that money back for my mom.’’
[/quote]
[/quote]
Imagine having that happen to you and your family and then being able to pay them back, and then some, by the age of 21. When I was 21, I was still living at home, going to community college, and racking up a small credit card debt. Tyshawn is one of the most successful pro skaters of recent times, is a largely recognizable figure outside of skating, and has started multiple businesses. Let the man brag a little bit. He's deserved that much.

dirty limerick

• Rep: -17
« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2021, 02:03:07 PM »
that's pretty bad ass that he was able to replace the $ but his mom sounds like either a crook or a fool. also, sounds like they weren't doing too bad growing up with a doorman and pool. TJ on gated community, confirmed.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2021, 02:39:41 PM »
that's pretty bad ass that he was able to replace the $ but his mom sounds like either a crook or a fool. also, sounds like they weren't doing too bad growing up with a doorman and pool. TJ on gated community, confirmed.

black dude can’t live in a building with a doorman?