Author Topic: Robbie Gangemi pressing his own boards  (Read 6076 times)

Second Division

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
Robbie Gangemi pressing his own boards
« on: December 23, 2020, 11:13:57 AM »
Orchard in Boston posted this yesterday - Robbie Gangemi is pressing, shaping and screening boards in Boston (just like the OG Vehicle days). Hopefully promising, and definitely interested in trying a board.

"As this crazy year winds to a close, so does the wood drought of our shop boards. We are incredibly excited to offer this inaugural run of Bird Boards that are pressed, shaped, and screen printed right here in Boston, MA by @popmasterinnovations aka legendary Boston pro @robbiegangemi

This first run of decks is now available in 8.0, 8.1, 8.25, & 8.5, with a couple different mold & dimension options.

In the very near future we'll be offering a broader size range with different molds for each size, and of course more new graphics!

Team rider tested and approved, made from the finest hard maple available, with eco-friendly VOC-free glues and water based inks.

Now available at orchardshop.com"
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 02:36:25 PM by Second Division »

Acky Jacky

Re: Robbie Gangemi pressing his own boards
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 12:26:04 PM »
Ooo interesting. I’m gonna have to try me one. My only concern is they look extremely flat in the photographs but who knows.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 01:10:26 PM »
Posted this in woodshop thread yesterday too! Definitely following along, especially for bigger sizes.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -70
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 02:34:05 PM »
What was the vehicle team supposed to be? Fred gall, someone else big name for the time...

Wished I knew how dope it was when it was around, def thought it was some random local brand
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

Dinglenuts

• Rep: 2
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 02:55:48 PM »
Orchard shop decks pressed by Gangemi? That deck could completely delaminate after the first session, and I wouldn't bitch.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 03:07:08 PM by Dinglenuts »

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 04:18:56 PM »
Mine is en route. Got the 8.0. Will report back ASAP

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 05:17:23 PM »
This is super cool.

M1 seem to be shorter wheelbases.  It’s awesome that more shapes are coming down the pipeline. I would like to try the 8.5.

Dinglenuts

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 05:33:30 PM »
Mine is en route. Got the 8.0. Will report back ASAP
Please do man..I skate sub 8 but that's the size I wanna try.

Sam Alone

• Rep: 9
    • Orchard avatar image
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2020, 12:04:04 PM »
Shalom fellow Slappers.
This is Armin from Orchard, haven't posted in over 10 years but been steady lurking.

We've been working with Robbie for the last 20 months or so as he's getting the woodshop back up and running, and we're super excited to start getting this new wood out in the wild.  He's a mad scientist in the best possible way, and we think the wood is good, and is only going to get better. 

We're working on dialing in all the details and figuring out the best way to communicate the differences with the different molds and shapes and which part of the press stack it came from.  This first round is with 2 different molds, and a 3rd will be introduced in the coming runs. 

M1's are a little shorter, M2's are pretty standard.  Both are happy mediums in concave and kick, M1 is a little flatter kick but slightly more concave in the width.

Slightly more tapered nose & tail than most, but squarish band-aidish shapes coming in the spring.

We made a code for our fellow Slap Pals who wanna try em out, coupon code SHALOM will get you 10% off the shop boards.

A few have already shipped out to some of y'all, so if you get a chance to skate them we'd love to hear any feedback y'all have.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2020, 01:31:17 PM »
Damn that’s awesome and great info in the update! Very interested to see what more shapes come up and how to discuss the differences between everything.

Acky Jacky

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2020, 06:21:53 PM »
Thanks Armin! I just ordered one, the trick is gonna be whether the weather will allow me to skate it anytime soon  :P

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2020, 06:30:13 PM »
Damn, this shit is so fucking rad.

Armin, is it in the cards that maybe down the line there will be an egg shape?

I will buy that shit in a heartbeat.

Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Dinglenuts

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2020, 10:08:47 AM »
Damn, this shit is so fucking rad.

Armin, is it in the cards that maybe down the line there will be an egg shape?

I will buy that shit in a heartbeat.

I asked a few months ago and unfortunately his answer was no. However that was before he was using Gangemi. So maybe its still a posibility? I missed out on the old Orchard football but it looked so good. This whole collaboration is rad regardless.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2020, 06:03:00 PM »
This is really sick and they look great. My first board was a Gangemi. Def looking forward to a more squarish shape in the spring.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 851
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2020, 08:08:47 PM »
8.25 x 31.5 is my jam. Got an m1 on the way.

Never had one but a trusted pal says Vehicle boards were great before they went to chapman so if these are the same thing I'm stoked to try it out. Hook that box goin out to Pittsburgh up with some quality stickys Armin.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 972
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2020, 09:45:58 AM »
This is sick. Keep it local.

I hope the other true east brands who are using clutch Ks do the same.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Mongoloid

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2020, 09:09:41 AM »
I just ordered one of these 8” M1’s (misspelled my name in the order, don’t drink and buy folks). The free shipping in New England was a nice touch, and I can’t wait to give it a go!

Dinglenuts

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2020, 09:16:32 AM »
I just ordered one of these 8” M1’s (misspelled my name in the order, don’t drink and buy folks). The free shipping in New England was a nice touch, and I can’t wait to give it a go!
Free New England shipping all the time, and it’s fast too!

Second Division

• Rep: 8
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2020, 12:21:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Free New England shipping all the time, and it’s fast too!

Looked at shipping this out to SF and it's almost $20/board. Maybe if ya'll have glowing reviews then I'll make the move for it. Otherwise it's tough to pay that much for shipping.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2020, 02:49:54 PM »
Im doing a surprise box. I gotta check the bank first. That shits pretty frickin cool.

Def doing it on the first of the month. Haha. Being off drugs is the shit.
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2020, 07:46:47 AM »

Never had one but a trusted pal says Vehicle boards were great before they went to chapman so if these are the same thing I'm stoked to try it out. Hook that box goin out to Pittsburgh up with some quality stickys Armin.

Shorter boards better for me. Short and wide a bonus, chode all day.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2021, 11:17:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Shorter boards better for me. Short and wide a bonus, chode all day.

I just ordered two.

The 8.25s M1's have a 14" wb too.

I almost got 8.1s M2s which have a 14 1/8. Those would have been fine. I noticed they had the full details at the bottom so checked the measurements.

These boards are going to be sick
(A)pl(E)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 851
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2021, 02:51:31 AM »
Boston is a black hole for packages and it took 8 days to move the 45 miles from where it was shipped to New Hampshire then another 3 to make it to me in the Burgh, but I finally got mine.

Had two short sessions on it so far, probably around an hour total. First impressions:

- Fuck. It's purple. At least its not pink. 
- Shape is nice, especially if you like classic pointy popsicle shapes. Not too much taper. Tail is really nice...I'd call it a mellow medium and pretty long, just slightly shorter than the nose. Nose is quite mellow, especially compared to what I've been skating (quasi, hockey, clutch O etc). Mellow side of medium concave.
- It feels thin and light, sort of like some clutch boards or the PS stix plan B decks I have, but has a nice stiffness with not much flex.
- Really good pop and between the light feeling pop and 14wb its super nimble, flipping it feels effortless. I've had a hard time landing tricks because I keep popping them higher than i can jump, so I'm actually going to switch to standard venture 5.6 because it almost feels too light with the hollows. Ollies feel amazing and stick to my shoes the way the pages of SneakySecrets' favorite issue of Tiger Beat stick together.

Overall I'm really impressed with it. It feels as good or better than the majority of the decks I own from the big woodshops and established small USA manufacturers. My only complaint is that the nose feels a little too small - if they took a quarter inch off the tail and added it to the nose and made it just a little bit steeper this could be one of my favorite boards. The angle of the tail is almost perfect and I love the dimensions. Definitely recommend trying one.

Setup -

8.25" x 31.5“ 14“wb M1
Venture 5.6 hollow with destructo bushings
Nfg 54mm squares
Bones swiss 6
Bop Shop grip and hardware

Acky Jacky

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2021, 07:35:47 AM »
Nothing wrong with purple! It looks especially cool as the top ply. I wonder if the shapes with the slightly longer wheelbases also have longer noses, because I feel like I got a lot of nose. I also love and recommend these decks though. The screen-printed logo is cool too although I may have sacrilidged with some front boards on ledges.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2021, 09:15:40 AM »
I just ordered the 8.1 M1, it has the exact dimensions and nose/tail shape I've been searching for.

The 8.06 Eagle I'm riding is nearly perfect, but I've had my eyes open for a deck with 14in wb for a while now.

Can't wait for it to get here!
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2021, 01:58:22 PM »
i love purple!

grip jobs looking good buttdick.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2021, 02:23:15 PM »
These look great. Nice review as usual @Buttfart Rapedick  maybe later this spring I’ll go for the 8.5” unless they start going better/shapes

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2021, 03:09:03 PM »
Boston is a black hole for packages and it took 8 days to move the 45 miles from where it was shipped to New Hampshire then another 3 to make it to me in the Burgh, but I finally got mine.

Had two short sessions on it so far, probably around an hour total. First impressions:

- Fuck. It's purple. At least its not pink. 
- Shape is nice, especially if you like classic pointy popsicle shapes. Not too much taper. Tail is really nice...I'd call it a mellow medium and pretty long, just slightly shorter than the nose. Nose is quite mellow, especially compared to what I've been skating (quasi, hockey, clutch O etc). Mellow side of medium concave.
- It feels thin and light, sort of like some clutch boards or the PS stix plan B decks I have, but has a nice stiffness with not much flex.
- Really good pop and between the light feeling pop and 14wb its super nimble, flipping it feels effortless. I've had a hard time landing tricks because I keep popping them higher than i can jump, so I'm actually going to switch to standard venture 5.6 because it almost feels too light with the hollows. Ollies feel amazing and stick to my shoes the way the pages of SneakySecrets' favorite issue of Tiger Beat stick together.

Overall I'm really impressed with it. It feels as good or better than the majority of the decks I own from the big woodshops and established small USA manufacturers. My only complaint is that the nose feels a little too small - if they took a quarter inch off the tail and added it to the nose and made it just a little bit steeper this could be one of my favorite boards. The angle of the tail is almost perfect and I love the dimensions. Definitely recommend trying one.

Setup -

8.25" x 31.5“ 14“wb M1
Venture 5.6 hollow with destructo bushings
Nfg 54mm squares
Bones swiss 6
Bop Shop grip and hardware

Setup looks ideal!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2021, 05:24:27 PM »
The nose and tail look really good from the top view, but I like the tail a bit longer anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2021, 06:36:12 PM »
I’m awaiting Uncle Flea’s thoughts.
Bfrd already sealed my fate, but I’m really trying not to buy boards, I have a couple, and I’m terrible.
Robbie is a legend. Made in USA. Fuck.