Author Topic: unpopular opinions thread - music edition  (Read 24567 times)

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
Re: unpopular opinions thread - music edition
« Reply #540 on: November 01, 2021, 09:45:35 AM »
I'm definitely on the fuck em train. I thought his shit was funny and clever as a thirteen year old and now that I'm not in high school i have no desire to listen to any of his shit

FrozenIndustries

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #542 on: November 01, 2021, 12:05:08 PM »
I guess here is my hot take: Tommy Wright III is the most underrated producer of all time and one of the most influential and Memphis rap is better than what any other region made. Especially late 80’s/early to mid 90’s. It didn’t get the shine it deserved partly because of the satanic panic and because it was raw as hell, DIY, and punk as fuck.

The lore surrounding the scene is also the wildest shit ever. Sure, suge knight dangling someone out of a window is cool and all, but rumors/legends of Memphis rappers rappers practicing ritual magick, sacrificing people and recording it so they could sample it on their tapes is way fucking gnarlier.

Also fuck Eminem.

https://youtu.be/3nOPuizD4Es
https://youtu.be/1pGkOqD6w1w
https://youtu.be/2taHZpdpqz0
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 01:37:40 PM by Freelancevagrant »
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

pro club blanks

« Reply #543 on: November 01, 2021, 02:10:05 PM »
I too am here to shit on Eminem

Dude picks the wackest beats of all time,

raps about adam sandler shit as a 50 year old man,

shelves rappers that sign to shady in a way that would make Dr Dres Detox delays seem reasonable,

and gets put in GOAT conversations ONLY off technical ability despite most of his music being ridiculously corny

Not to mention the elvis parallels and that ignorant section of his fanbase "not liking rap besides em"

« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 02:19:40 PM by pro club blanks »

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #544 on: November 01, 2021, 02:49:58 PM »
I too am here to shit on Eminem

Dude picks the wackest beats of all time,

raps about adam sandler shit as a 50 year old man,

shelves rappers that sign to shady in a way that would make Dr Dres Detox delays seem reasonable,

and gets put in GOAT conversations ONLY off technical ability despite most of his music being ridiculously corny

Not to mention the elvis parallels and that ignorant section of his fanbase "not liking rap besides em"

He's one of the "good ones" - said every low key racist "rap enjoyer"

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #545 on: November 01, 2021, 03:04:12 PM »
Always hated Eminem, always will…

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #546 on: November 01, 2021, 03:06:32 PM »
Thrash is way sicker than punk as a genre

Rap still has good shit coming out

Extreme Aggression by Kreator is peak thrash 💯

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #547 on: November 01, 2021, 04:43:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but pleasure to kill is my fav kreator album, everything else from them doesn't doesn't give me that many thrash boners....

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #548 on: November 01, 2021, 04:50:53 PM »
I'll take Em over Kid Rock all day. His old stuff, particularly the first Bad Meets Evil tape with Royce is solid. I'd probably never play Eminem on purpose though.

Kid Rock has nothing redeemable though. He's like the white trash jesus throughout southeast Michigan. People LOVE that motherfucker here.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #549 on: November 01, 2021, 05:41:45 PM »
I'll take Em over Kid Rock all day. His old stuff, particularly the first Bad Meets Evil tape with Royce is solid. I'd probably never play Eminem on purpose though.

Kid Rock has nothing redeemable though. He's like the white trash jesus throughout southeast Michigan. People LOVE that motherfucker here.

shit man, i know you qualify your comment with Kid Rock and all, but fuck, how low can that bar get man?

Eminem just opened some spaghetti restaurant right smack in the middle of the heavily policed, heavily surveilled urban theme park that is "New Detroit"--i.e. the hyper-gentrified 7-square-miles of this 139-square-mile city you hear about when fuckwits talk about Detroit going through some kind of "rebirth--and in most of the pictures, eminem's glaring and/or flipping the camera off like the fatuous embodiment of white, inner-ring-suburban angst he still absurdly is in his 40s or whatever stage of adulthood he's reached--i guess despite being a millionaire/billionaire...

HeavyAndExpensive

« Reply #550 on: November 01, 2021, 07:13:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but pleasure to kill is my fav kreator album, everything else from them doesn't doesn't give me that many thrash boners....

Keepin it 95

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #551 on: November 02, 2021, 04:11:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

shit man, i know you qualify your comment with Kid Rock and all, but fuck, how low can that bar get man?

Eminem just opened some spaghetti restaurant right smack in the middle of the heavily policed, heavily surveilled urban theme park that is "New Detroit"--i.e. the hyper-gentrified 7-square-miles of this 139-square-mile city you hear about when fuckwits talk about Detroit going through some kind of "rebirth--and in most of the pictures, eminem's glaring and/or flipping the camera off like the fatuous embodiment of white, inner-ring-suburban angst he still absurdly is in his 40s or whatever stage of adulthood he's reached--i guess despite being a millionaire/billionaire...

Had to be a spaghetti joint, right?  „Vomit on my sweater, mom‘s spaghetti“  ;D
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #552 on: November 02, 2021, 05:48:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It's literally called Mom's Spaghetti and they sell leftover style spaghetti out of a take out window for like $13. Stans line up down the block for it. Ridiculous.

And to clarify, I'm not trying to defend Emimem, just stating that as far as Detroit artists go, he's not the the worst. Kid Rock is, by a long shot. Bob Seger also sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4JCbKDQsks

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #553 on: November 02, 2021, 06:06:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

It's literally called Mom's Spaghetti and they sell leftover style spaghetti out of a take out window for like $13. Stans line up down the block for it. Ridiculous.

And to clarify, I'm not trying to defend Emimem, just stating that as far as Detroit artists go, he's not the the worst. Kid Rock is, by a long shot. Bob Seger also sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4JCbKDQsks

Alright well it all makes sense then I guess.

I found the whole Slim Shady spiel amusing and refreshing when he dropped the first singles. Guilty Conscience had a dope Dre beat and Stan had quite a clever concept. I liked the first two albums, then it got old. From a technical rapping point of view the dude is talented and brought something new to the table. I did not follow all of his later antics so I can’t really comment on that.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #554 on: November 02, 2021, 07:06:38 AM »
Murder, Murder from the Slim Shady EP is one of my favorite narrative rap songs of all time. The beat, the vivid story-telling, it's a great song.

That's my unpopular opinion for the day.

I remember when I first heard Just Don't Give a Fuck on the local college radio station (the original version) and I was blown away. I listened every night to hear that song. I went to the record store every week to ask if they had any M+M records. I didn't know until I saw the first video on MTV how it was actually spelled. I feel like it was at least a year later. I didn't know he was white until I saw the video.

I feel like this type of thing is missing from our world today. This discovery of new things. Everything is just there when you want it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 08:09:11 AM by beatifk »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #555 on: November 02, 2021, 09:05:30 AM »
Murder, Murder from the Slim Shady EP is one of my favorite narrative rap songs of all time. The beat, the vivid story-telling, it's a great song.

I remember when I first heard Just Don't Give a Fuck on the local college radio station (the original version) and I was blown away. I listened every night to hear that song. I went to the record store every week to ask if they had any M+M records. I didn't know until I saw the first video on MTV how it was actually spelled. I feel like it was at least a year later. I didn't know he was white until I saw the video.

I feel like this type of thing is missing from our world today. This discovery of new things. Everything is just there when you want it.

Definitely not agreeing with this sentiment to hate on contemporary stuff, but I do think the accessibility to subculture that people have these days is a double-edged sword.

It is so sick that people can find out about things without having to go through traditional gatekeepers, but also so much of everything is immediately accessible that folks that there is no real process of discovery and reconciliation. And I for sure get that there are other struggles in the world that matter so, so much more, but I do feel like this sort of thing is less of an investment for people these days.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #556 on: November 03, 2021, 06:19:54 AM »

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #557 on: November 03, 2021, 04:58:25 PM »
abbas not bad

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #558 on: November 04, 2021, 05:00:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Definitely not agreeing with this sentiment to hate on contemporary stuff, but I do think the accessibility to subculture that people have these days is a double-edged sword.

It is so sick that people can find out about things without having to go through traditional gatekeepers, but also so much of everything is immediately accessible that folks that there is no real process of discovery and reconciliation. And I for sure get that there are other struggles in the world that matter so, so much more, but I do feel like this sort of thing is less of an investment for people these days.

Gatekeeping is corny, but it happens in every aspect of civilization, so it's something to get used to anyway. It's the thrill-of-the-hunt that's lost, and it's a bit of a shame.

JB

• SLAP Pal

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #560 on: November 04, 2021, 09:33:49 AM »
abbas not bad

I know we're all being respectful here but anyone who DOES think Abba is bad is actually a big idiot.

pro club blanks

« Reply #561 on: November 04, 2021, 11:43:49 AM »
abbas not bad
I know Abba isnt traditionally considered Disco but Disco is fucking dope in general

Its super wack a bunch of haters, racists and homophobes started that "disco sucks" movement

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #562 on: November 04, 2021, 12:29:31 PM »
Expand Quote
abbas not bad
[close]
I know Abba isnt traditionally considered Disco but Disco is fucking dope in general

Its super wack a bunch of haters, racists and homophobes started that "disco sucks" movement

For real. Anyone who needs a rundown of "disco sucks" as a racist/homophobic movement should check the house music doc "Pump Up The Volume". Posted it in the music docs but leaving the link here for those interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRRg8M4fvUo

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #563 on: November 04, 2021, 06:12:05 PM »
Disco has some of the sickest baselines.

animalflesh

« Reply #564 on: November 05, 2021, 05:15:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
abbas not bad
[close]

[close]

For real. Anyone who needs a rundown of "disco sucks" as a racist/homophobic movement should check the house music doc "Pump Up The Volume". Posted it in the music docs but leaving the link here for those interested.

This is a fact, and Pump Up The Volume is a must watch for any 70s/ 80s music fan to get a sense of renewed perspective

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #565 on: November 05, 2021, 05:35:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
abbas not bad
[close]

[close]

[close]

This is a fact, and Pump Up The Volume is a must watch for any 70s/ 80s music fan to get a sense of renewed perspective

Following this up with the addition of fantastic documentary about Chicago House music. An offshoot of disco music that had its roots in the black lgbtqia+ scene in Chicago. High key fucking love Chicago house.

https://youtu.be/9Rah1F1zq1k
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #566 on: November 05, 2021, 06:56:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
abbas not bad
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Following this up with the addition of fantastic documentary about Chicago House music. An offshoot of disco music that had its roots in the black lgbtqia+ scene in Chicago. High key fucking love Chicago house.

The one rules too! There is some crossover but both need to be seen for sure.

Electronic music as we know it exists because of black and queer innovators, and it makes me a little crazy that (particularly with the fetishization of Berlin club culture) it is so often viewed through this Eurocentric lens.

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #567 on: November 05, 2021, 08:29:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
abbas not bad
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The one rules too! There is some crossover but both need to be seen for sure.

Electronic music as we know it exists because of black and queer innovators, and it makes me a little crazy that (particularly with the fetishization of Berlin club culture) it is so often viewed through this Eurocentric lens.
alright finally!! this is something that picked up on when I started doing heelflip Body variels or "heelflip Sex change" or more commonly known as the "disco flip". super illegal flatground trick, but when I was younger i thought it was because skating comes from a punk background and the punks also hated disco thus they named the ugly trick as such. This one is way more thought out than the gay twist. kook me but current house and hip hop sences are so removed from what I consider their prime years that I cant stand to listen to most of it. Like if house and hip hop were neighborhoods, they would have already been gentrified. lol
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 08:46:28 AM by Youoverthere »

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

HeavyAndExpensive

« Reply #568 on: November 05, 2021, 12:17:47 PM »
Pop music is some of the best there is.

Case and point below.

You do know this is the unpopular opinions thread, and that "pop" is short for "popular"?

HeavyAndExpensive

« Reply #569 on: November 05, 2021, 05:19:30 PM »
Smashing Pumpkins in their prime were better than Nirvana. This is not a judgment on character, as Billy Corgan is a douche. But from about 1990 until whenever Mellon Collie came out he wrote some bangers. The guitars a bit louder, the solos just a bit sweeter. And the drumming? Fughettaboutit. Full disclosure I am not a NiRvANa fan at al.