Author Topic: unpopular opinions thread - music edition  (Read 24571 times)

Prinzy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 178
Re: unpopular opinions thread - music edition
« Reply #600 on: November 08, 2021, 05:23:08 PM »
ween is definitely not for me, but i got no qualms with that being someone's thing.

come to think of it, if ween was someone's thing, they'd probably be kinda fun to be around.

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #601 on: November 08, 2021, 05:34:36 PM »
I am a Ween super fan and I hate jam bands. I actually braved Lockn 2016 for Ween exclusively.

@JB nailed it.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #602 on: November 08, 2021, 07:19:08 PM »
All of these 90s alternative bands are kind of boring. Dino Jr most of all. Like them in skate vid context for nostalgic reasons tho.

I don't like Jonathan Richman. There's an affectation to him I can't get over.

I don't get people who love Ween. They're alright in a jokey kind of way. Some good songs. Why are so many people so invested in this band? Jam band vibes also.

This is pretty much how i feel. It might be because I'm the generation right after, but I've never been into nirvana, pearl jam, ween, dino jr, the offspring, etc.

newguy

« Reply #603 on: November 09, 2021, 04:08:14 PM »
Expand Quote
All of these 90s alternative bands are kind of boring. Dino Jr most of all. Like them in skate vid context for nostalgic reasons tho.

I don't get people who love Ween. They're alright in a jokey kind of way. Some good songs. Why are so many people so invested in this band? Jam band vibes also.
[close]

This is pretty much how i feel. It might be because I'm the generation right after, but I've never been into nirvana, pearl jam, ween, dino jr, the offspring, etc.

I actually feel like our generation (sort of) actually pushed this weird 90’s fascination. The whole “the 90’s were better blah blah” and now the next one is pushing that Y2K was better and so on. So I feel like there’s a massive overrated phenomenon across 90’s music. Meanwhile most of my pals who were adults in those times don’t understand this fascination either… maybe because indie music exploded in that decade? I’m not into nirvana and pearl jam an all those bands at all too, few individual songs I like, can’t bother with the rest

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #604 on: November 09, 2021, 05:57:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I actually feel like our generation (sort of) actually pushed this weird 90’s fascination. The whole “the 90’s were better blah blah” and now the next one is pushing that Y2K was better and so on. So I feel like there’s a massive overrated phenomenon across 90’s music. Meanwhile most of my pals who were adults in those times don’t understand this fascination either… maybe because indie music exploded in that decade? I’m not into nirvana and pearl jam an all those bands at all too, few individual songs I like, can’t bother with the rest

But I think the 90’s actually WERE fascinating, not just indie exploded.

EVERYTHING exploded. All different types of punk, ska, big band, drum&bass, hip hop had its Golden Era with a ton of diversity, and new styles including trip hop.

And then you have it hand in hand with the explosions of new school skateboarding and snowboarding. It really was exciting, with people innovating constantly.

It was a culture-wide renaissance after the excesses of the 80’s.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #605 on: November 09, 2021, 10:48:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

EVERYTHING exploded. All different types of punk, ska, big band, drum&bass, hip hop had its Golden Era with a ton of diversity, and new styles including trip hop.

And then you have it hand in hand with the explosions of new school skateboarding and snowboarding. It really was exciting, with people innovating constantly.

This is exactly how I see it.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #606 on: November 10, 2021, 06:05:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I'd say the solo Beatle work moves me a bit more than the Beatles, even.

[close]
Except for Wings though. Wings is objectively horrible.
[close]

Wings is not good. George is the best Beatle. It's a low key good thing for John's legacy that he was martyred because he would be fucking insufferable now. I feel like he would make Morrissey look like mother Teresa
Alright I’ll stir the pot.  I’d rather listen to Wings Greatest Hits over any Beatles album.  Junior’s Farm, With A Little Luck, Let Em In… all bangers.  I will admit that some of Paul’s songwriting and lyrics are dumb as hell though.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #607 on: November 12, 2021, 07:46:11 AM »
Lotto should have won the second battle in 8 mile
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 04:23:51 AM by Billy Bitchcakes »
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #608 on: November 12, 2021, 09:47:41 PM »
I love the aquabats more than I love some serious bands so I kinda sorta get the ween take. Ween’s alright. This is coming from someone who enjoys ska though so what the hell do I know.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #609 on: November 12, 2021, 10:55:56 PM »
I love the aquabats more than I love some serious bands so I kinda sorta get the ween take. Ween’s alright. This is coming from someone who enjoys ska though so what the hell do I know.

Can you hear me
These fashion zombies

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #610 on: November 13, 2021, 09:30:34 AM »
I hate Sublime not that I don’t like other ska bands just my exwife and subsequent other’s whom I’ve been with have tried their hardest to get me in to it and nope I mean it when I fucking hate that band.
Dueces Bitch's

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #611 on: November 13, 2021, 09:46:55 AM »
I hate Sublime not that I don’t like other ska bands just my exwife and subsequent other’s whom I’ve been with have tried their hardest to get me in to it and nope I mean it when I fucking hate that band.

That shit is guaranteed burn out music down here. So many mediocre doofuses who love white guy reggae shlock. I can see some dude named trent with black fly sunglasses, a rebelution tee, o neill shorts and plaid DCs that he's had since 03 rolling up to me on a sector 9 with the dirtiest bong stashed in his back pack blasting santeria through a Bluetooth speaker.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #612 on: November 13, 2021, 11:04:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That shit is guaranteed burn out music down here. So many mediocre doofuses who love white guy reggae shlock. I can see some dude named trent with black fly sunglasses, a rebelution tee, o neill shorts and plaid DCs that he's had since 03 rolling up to me on a sector 9 with the dirtiest bong stashed in his back pack blasting santeria through a Bluetooth speaker.
Ughhh I can already hear the doofuses voice. Part of the reason I don’t like going to a skate park I don’t give a shit.

like heeeyyyyy bro I don’t like skate just like for transportation man…… then proceeds to try to sell me his used normal board but it’s from 05’ stress cracks and sharktoothed like nah man I’m good.
Dueces Bitch's

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #613 on: November 13, 2021, 12:05:40 PM »

Is this really an unpopular opinion? Has anyone ever met a decent human being that enjoys Sublime?

The landlord of one of my old apartments was trying to fuck this girl who was doing an internship in the city I was living so he let her move into the house for the duration of her internship. She quickly became friends with all the local crusty hippy idiots and would invite them over for dinner parties which was almost always vegan curry. They would sit around the house eating curry and smoking dirt weed sometimes breaking out banjos or ukuleles or some other obnoxious instruments which they would play very poorly and they would all sing along. It was quite a scene.

Anyways, one night I left the house around 8pm to get some dinner with friends and then to go to a party after. Normal Saturday night stuff. When I left the house one of the guys was freestyle rapping (obviously very poorly) over Santeria while one of the other idiots was slamming the keys on our piano trying to find the “groove” of the song I guess. I left the house, got into my friend’s car and just starting laughing. It was awful.

When I returned to the house at around 3am that night I walked in the door and the same guy was rapping over the same song. I felt like I had walked into the Twilight Zone. It was unbelievable. The rest of the crew looked like absolute zombies like they had sat around smoking opium all night (which they had done in the house before so it wasn’t inconceivable) just listening to this guy.

To this day I wonder if he was rapping the entire time or what exactly had transpired in those 7 hours. It was surreal.

That was the moment I decided to move out of that house.

Sublime are fucking awful.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #614 on: November 13, 2021, 12:42:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is this really an unpopular opinion? Has anyone ever met a decent human being that enjoys Sublime?

The landlord of one of my old apartments was trying to fuck this girl who was doing an internship in the city I was living so he let her move into the house for the duration of her internship. She quickly became friends with all the local crusty hippy idiots and would invite them over for dinner parties which was almost always vegan curry. They would sit around the house eating curry and smoking dirt weed sometimes breaking out banjos or ukuleles or some other obnoxious instruments which they would play very poorly and they would all sing along. It was quite a scene.

Anyways, one night I left the house around 8pm to get some dinner with friends and then to go to a party after. Normal Saturday night stuff. When I left the house one of the guys was freestyle rapping (obviously very poorly) over Santeria while one of the other idiots was slamming the keys on our piano trying to find the “groove” of the song I guess. I left the house, got into my friend’s car and just starting laughing. It was awful.

When I returned to the house at around 3am that night I walked in the door and the same guy was rapping over the same song. I felt like I had walked into the Twilight Zone. It was unbelievable. The rest of the crew looked like absolute zombies like they had sat around smoking opium all night (which they had done in the house before so it wasn’t inconceivable) just listening to this guy.

To this day I wonder if he was rapping the entire time or what exactly had transpired in those 7 hours. It was surreal.

https://youtu.be/zXo9nBLbBD0

This shit got me feeling like bigfoot bjornsen

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #615 on: November 13, 2021, 01:59:23 PM »
Sublime makes music for people that have puked into the ocean.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #616 on: November 13, 2021, 02:44:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

https://youtu.be/zXo9nBLbBD0

This shit got me feeling like bigfoot bjornsen
Honestly I don’t think anyone should die but if the singer didn’t overdose would they really matter?

A shitty band that mimics Smashmouth or something else even worse, I think I’d rather walk than listen to this crap in someone’s car.
Dueces Bitch's

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #617 on: November 13, 2021, 04:12:01 PM »
I think I'd choose sublime over 311, but it's tough.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #618 on: November 13, 2021, 04:39:54 PM »

ahahahaha

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #619 on: November 13, 2021, 04:53:12 PM »
I think I'd choose sublime over 311, but it's tough.

This is a tough choice. I've seen 311 live and it was fucking horrendous, but sublime is all time suck. I've seen so many burnt chicks around here with that fucking sun tattoo

doublesteveburger

« Reply #620 on: November 13, 2021, 06:04:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

ahahahaha

So accurate

pro club blanks

« Reply #621 on: November 14, 2021, 01:02:44 PM »
When it comes to mid 2000s rappers flirting with gothic elements in hip hop

Spaceghostpurrp>asap rocky

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #622 on: November 14, 2021, 05:32:13 PM »
When it comes to mid 2000s rappers flirting with gothic elements in hip hop

Spaceghostpurrp>asap rocky

When SGP came out, I cannot even begin to tell you how hyped that shit got me. "Lustful '97" just hit a certain way that little else has.

newguy

« Reply #623 on: November 15, 2021, 04:02:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

right now I can see why the 90’s are so revered when you see it under that lens. Shoe design was also really crazy…

Brguy

« Reply #624 on: November 15, 2021, 05:21:53 AM »
I think the 90s was the real age were underground stuff really blew up, you'd raise a rock and find some weirdo doing some weird shit and a bunch of other weirdos enjoying it.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #625 on: November 15, 2021, 06:18:54 AM »

I'm sure I said something like this earlier in this thread but this whole tangent is my ongoing ska defense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl7HnBxD4Qg

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #626 on: November 15, 2021, 07:26:02 AM »
the 90s were the first decade where you basically could buy into a subculture. not only were these subcultures now broadcasted via mtv and other things, the 90s were the decade that brought you chain stores selling punk, goth, and skate stuff. then towards the end of the 90s the internet accelerated that process even more. it was the start of commercialization and never before seen availability of goods that were traded only amongst dedicated communities before. with bad outcomes like hypercommercialization and a lot of fake shit coming up, and good outcomes like showing people alternative lifestyles and music.

i feel like 90s nostalgia is fueled mainly by two things: the feeling that all the cool shit we like now was already done by then, which is typically coming up every twenty years or so. in the 90s people said the 70s were the last really good decade, in the 00s people were trying to emulate the 80s aesthetic and said man, the 90s were wack as fuck. and now those who were babies in the 90s or early 00s are interested in what they missed. naturally the nostalgia would be the strongest from those groups who were either in their adolescence, kid or teen years or those that barely missed it but sort of see themselves as "90s kids" because they were born 98 or something.

i personally don't miss the 90s that much.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #627 on: November 15, 2021, 07:30:01 AM »
a couple of things

first, i'm 50, so i was around for the early stages of punk and rap/hip-hop, and i personally believe that the 1990s (at least the early to mid-90s) were creative and ideological high-points in the lineages of both these realms of music. i've already carried on enough about early and mid-1990s "indie" music, but seriously, it was a great time to have a sick local record store with lots of vinyl. also, it's funny to me to see The Offspring listed next to Dinosaur Jr above (sorry Dale)--the latter was on the original SST roster after all.

also, i love the ska conversation, and--ironically i guess--i'm thankful i stopped paying attention to "new" ska around the 1990s...yuck. that being said, considering ska's long history, i do indeed think the whole 2-Tone era was a "golden era" for ska, at least for bands doing lots of cool covers of original stuff, and in this regard, i love a number of the performances from that old Dance Craze movie...The Specials' performance of "Concrete Jungle" was intense as hell. i'll include some favorites here just because i can (i've probably shared these somewhere else, but i'm too lazy to look):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8qh63nu1OQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3ZWvqBir2A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5SZ4akfoAo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eYCMxehMRc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R4ecjpUn50

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #628 on: November 15, 2021, 07:57:27 AM »
ween is definitely not for me, but i got no qualms with that being someone's thing.

come to think of it, if ween was someone's thing, they'd probably be kinda fun to be around.

yes...i can in fact attest to this

i understand why people nerd out on Ween, even if i never really have--there's so much to explore, kind of like Guided by Voices. personally, this is my favorite thing about Ween

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCQVYYfdrnE

Prinzy

• Rep: 178
« Reply #629 on: November 15, 2021, 05:24:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

yes...i can in fact attest to this

give us a good ween friend story.

super specific unpopular opinion, but i'd almost rather see a band cover a Death Threat song as opposed to actually see Death Threat perform.

i fucking love the songs on Peace & Security, a lot of fucking hits on there, but i find the vocals and lyrics laughable at times. they're bad in a way that i find endearing, so i've have grown to enjoy the really good songwriting on display underneath the goofy vocals.

but, i'd imagine a good local band whipping out of a cover of outcast or dead at birth would be way more than fun than actually seeing Death Threat live in 2021.

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass