Author Topic: unpopular opinions thread - music edition  (Read 24897 times)

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
Re: unpopular opinions thread - music edition
« Reply #630 on: November 15, 2021, 11:41:38 PM »
My take us that who complain about politics in music or ‘preachy’ bands like Fugazi or Crass usually have asshole behavior or views they know us wrong, but don’t like yo be confronted with it.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Brguy

« Reply #631 on: November 15, 2021, 11:54:18 PM »
the 90s were the first decade where you basically could buy into a subculture. not only were these subcultures now broadcasted via mtv and other things, the 90s were the decade that brought you chain stores selling punk, goth, and skate stuff. then towards the end of the 90s the internet accelerated that process even more. it was the start of commercialization and never before seen availability of goods that were traded only amongst dedicated communities before. with bad outcomes like hypercommercialization and a lot of fake shit coming up, and good outcomes like showing people alternative lifestyles and music.

i feel like 90s nostalgia is fueled mainly by two things: the feeling that all the cool shit we like now was already done by then, which is typically coming up every twenty years or so. in the 90s people said the 70s were the last really good decade, in the 00s people were trying to emulate the 80s aesthetic and said man, the 90s were wack as fuck. and now those who were babies in the 90s or early 00s are interested in what they missed. naturally the nostalgia would be the strongest from those groups who were either in their adolescence, kid or teen years or those that barely missed it but sort of see themselves as "90s kids" because they were born 98 or something.

i personally don't miss the 90s that much.
Maybe reincarnation is real and people miss their past lives, 20 year olds today were living in the 90s before reincarnation.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1438
« Reply #632 on: November 16, 2021, 02:24:40 PM »

also, it's funny to me to see The Offspring listed next to Dinosaur Jr above (sorry Dale)--the latter was on the original SST roster after all.

Fair point, they're not totally equivalent, i was just lumping all the 90s bands in my mind together

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #633 on: November 16, 2021, 02:49:22 PM »
Expand Quote

also, it's funny to me to see The Offspring listed next to Dinosaur Jr above (sorry Dale)--the latter was on the original SST roster after all.

[close]

Fair point, they're not totally equivalent, i was just lumping all the 90s bands in my mind together

not equivalent at all! lol^ but I get where you're coming from

not sure if this is a hot take but i don't get Animal Collective(feel like they're popular within skating)

T4T

• Rep: 8
  • fake and lame
    • My Youtube avatar image
« Reply #634 on: November 17, 2021, 04:34:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
fuck it, i’m throwing nirvana in the beatles conversation. nirvana is one of the few bands to ever exist that can be honestly compared with the beatles. they were a total sea change for all of music. they legitimately killed a genre that was moments before their ascent the most popular thing on earth. they’re also mostly remembered for their more novelty songs while having more experimental stuff buried on records.

nirvana also influenced music in a way kind of no one has. if you were to ask your favorite current band for a list of influences, even if they didn’t say nirvana, half the bands they listed probably would. that music put guitars in the hands of millions and those people became the taste makers of the next generation. i can’t think of another band that’s done that since the beatles.
[close]

You know Nirvana mattered when the blow up of Nevermind is a significant milestone in other band's biographies that are older than Nirvana. 

People love being contrarians about that band but their impact can't really be downplayed. I don't think Nirvana were the first of their kind but Kurt tended to wear his influences on his sleeve while bringing something new to the table, and with that they went to a place that really opened the floodgates for lots of interesting and provocative music to reach the masses. Hell, even The Ramones talk about their final years being much more popular because of bands like Nirvana.

Nirvana rules.
[close]

quite literally with this--i always appreciated his K Records tattoo (Olympia, WA) which brought me--among many other splendid things--one of my all-time favorite bands and albums

these are not fall colors

and i don't think we align regarding Nirvana "open[ing] the floodgates for lots of interesting and provocative music to reach the masses" being a positive thing, but either way, Bleach is a classic

Oh my god thank you for sharing Lync, they are unfathomably sick
schoolteachers can get paid $100k when they get a collab with dragonball

newguy

« Reply #635 on: November 17, 2021, 05:24:11 AM »
Expand Quote
the 90s were the first decade where you basically could buy into a subculture. not only were these subcultures now broadcasted via mtv and other things, the 90s were the decade that brought you chain stores selling punk, goth, and skate stuff. then towards the end of the 90s the internet accelerated that process even more. it was the start of commercialization and never before seen availability of goods that were traded only amongst dedicated communities before. with bad outcomes like hypercommercialization and a lot of fake shit coming up, and good outcomes like showing people alternative lifestyles and music.

i feel like 90s nostalgia is fueled mainly by two things: the feeling that all the cool shit we like now was already done by then, which is typically coming up every twenty years or so. in the 90s people said the 70s were the last really good decade, in the 00s people were trying to emulate the 80s aesthetic and said man, the 90s were wack as fuck. and now those who were babies in the 90s or early 00s are interested in what they missed. naturally the nostalgia would be the strongest from those groups who were either in their adolescence, kid or teen years or those that barely missed it but sort of see themselves as "90s kids" because they were born 98 or something.

[close]
Maybe reincarnation is real and people miss their past lives, 20 year olds today were living in the 90s before reincarnation.

getting all this 90’s nostalgia wave pushed into my feeds 2-3 years ago before I nuked my social media accounts really showed my some interesting things, mostly design and aesthetics; my family is heavy on 90’s music so that was covered. I developed this weird obsession with 90’s fleece patterns and graphic designs for instance, but id love to get to experience life back then, going to a record store or a blockbuster store, going thrifting before it became the kook filled scheme it is today, go to an underground show etc. Just one chance to enjoy that. And I’m a bit dense because the 90’s are a special spot right before the internet, arguably the most significant thing to happen in recent history (aka 20-30 years) and it took me time to realise this

anyhow what’s the consensus on tame impala in this board? Kook or not kook? I dig their music (their love shows are awesome) but it does feel completely overblown and pretentious sometimes.
I had never heard of TheWeeknd until yesterday when my sister played a song while we were doing the dishes and holy molly, i feel like an idiot for not listening to his music sooner.
Started to go through Bon Jovi too and also dig it.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #636 on: November 17, 2021, 06:13:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
fuck it, i’m throwing nirvana in the beatles conversation. nirvana is one of the few bands to ever exist that can be honestly compared with the beatles. they were a total sea change for all of music. they legitimately killed a genre that was moments before their ascent the most popular thing on earth. they’re also mostly remembered for their more novelty songs while having more experimental stuff buried on records.

nirvana also influenced music in a way kind of no one has. if you were to ask your favorite current band for a list of influences, even if they didn’t say nirvana, half the bands they listed probably would. that music put guitars in the hands of millions and those people became the taste makers of the next generation. i can’t think of another band that’s done that since the beatles.
[close]

You know Nirvana mattered when the blow up of Nevermind is a significant milestone in other band's biographies that are older than Nirvana. 

People love being contrarians about that band but their impact can't really be downplayed. I don't think Nirvana were the first of their kind but Kurt tended to wear his influences on his sleeve while bringing something new to the table, and with that they went to a place that really opened the floodgates for lots of interesting and provocative music to reach the masses. Hell, even The Ramones talk about their final years being much more popular because of bands like Nirvana.

Nirvana rules.
[close]

quite literally with this--i always appreciated his K Records tattoo (Olympia, WA) which brought me--among many other splendid things--one of my all-time favorite bands and albums

these are not fall colors

and i don't think we align regarding Nirvana "open[ing] the floodgates for lots of interesting and provocative music to reach the masses" being a positive thing, but either way, Bleach is a classic

[close]

Oh my god thank you for sharing Lync, they are unfathomably sick

cheers man...i actually just found out that Sam Jayne passed not so long ago--he sang and wrote all of the songs. fucking 2020...good riddance

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #637 on: November 17, 2021, 06:23:30 AM »
Continuing with the 90’s ramblings and appreciation, there were spectacular things about the era for sure.

However alongside being in the know you really had to seek out certain things if not it was real gatekeeper kookery. Certain show’s venues bar’s where they didn’t ID.

The younger generation really doesn’t know or understand especially in the bible thumper south area you were shit outta luck if you didn’t have a link or a connection with music venues or skating.
Dueces Bitch's

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #638 on: November 17, 2021, 07:31:38 AM »
Hot take for the day: the imprisoned ep by harms way is far better than anything they released after.

Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #639 on: November 17, 2021, 09:13:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

getting all this 90’s nostalgia wave pushed into my feeds 2-3 years ago before I nuked my social media accounts really showed my some interesting things, mostly design and aesthetics; my family is heavy on 90’s music so that was covered. I developed this weird obsession with 90’s fleece patterns and graphic designs for instance, but id love to get to experience life back then, going to a record store or a blockbuster store, going thrifting before it became the kook filled scheme it is today, go to an underground show etc. Just one chance to enjoy that. And I’m a bit dense because the 90’s are a special spot right before the internet, arguably the most significant thing to happen in recent history (aka 20-30 years) and it took me time to realise this

anyhow what’s the consensus on tame impala in this board? Kook or not kook? I dig their music (their love shows are awesome) but it does feel completely overblown and pretentious sometimes.
I had never heard of TheWeeknd until yesterday when my sister played a song while we were doing the dishes and holy molly, i feel like an idiot for not listening to his music sooner.
Started to go through Bon Jovi too and also dig it.

haha, i don't know man, i don't miss video rentals too much. those places could be black holes for money. you come out with 3 movies, an xbox game and 2 pints of ben & jerries which you were overcharged for. but it used to be sick when my friend worked at one and hooked us up with all the free stuff possible. basically never charging for rentals and bringing back whole backpacks of snacks home for free. we still had to buy games and movies though when they put them on sale at some point. dude used to straight up take one of their rental ps3s and left it in his place for over a year until it broke. needless to say he was fired at some point due to snitching.

on topic reply tho: not into tame impala, but i don't hate it. it's pretty random radio indie to me.

not really into the weeknd either, although he got a nice voice. again, this is radio music for me. i don't find it horrible, it's just there.

i used fuck heavily with bon jovi when i was like 8 or so. i liked every band that had a music video and around 92 or 93 a lot of bon jovi and guns n roses was on tv, some metallica, too. i thought bon jovi and gnr were super bad ass. even had posters of them and stuff. i also still listened to ridiculous kids techno at the same time. i was around 11 years old when some older friend of a friend gave us tapes with pantera, nwa, and some other pretty raw stuff when i started to become interested in rap, punk and metal and from that point on bon jovi and guns were cut lol.

there is this small documentary about bon jovis hey days and their feud with guns, some pretty wild stories and hair metal drama. i'm not even sure they might have feuded with motley crue too, i can't tell these bands even apart anymore. anyways, bon jovi are certified legends for that young guns 2 soundtrack song alone, fucking epic shit. 

newguy

« Reply #640 on: November 17, 2021, 10:22:15 AM »
lmfao at that blockbuster story, straight up taking a ps3 is a power move.

Need a link to that documentary though, that sounds interesting. Actually I got into Bon Jovi when me and my mates watched spaceballs recently and that fucking intro with the van and whatnot, Candy with those horrible ears eating solid gravy, had to check them out.

btw out of topic, but fuck me, no movie has made me laugh like Spaceballs did, watching this completely baked with 6 friends was one of the best decision/memories ill keep of my 20’s, when the radar scene happened we just lost it.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #641 on: November 17, 2021, 09:34:32 PM »
The weeknd is sick. Been listening since house of balloons. He makes excellent loving songs about coke.

Tame impala is cool. I like what Kevin puts down. He makes very infectious hooks and riffs

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #642 on: November 18, 2021, 07:30:13 AM »

Need a link to that documentary though, that sounds interesting. Actually I got into Bon Jovi when me and my mates watched spaceballs recently and that fucking intro with the van and whatnot, Candy with those horrible ears eating solid gravy, had to check them out.

btw out of topic, but fuck me, no movie has made me laugh like Spaceballs did, watching this completely baked with 6 friends was one of the best decision/memories ill keep of my 20’s, when the radar scene happened we just lost it.

i tried to look it up, but i'm not sure on what channel it was, i thought it was rock n roll true stories. but you can find little vids about the beef with gnr (and skid row apparently) all over youtube. i remember i listened to this by coincidence while playing metal wolf chaos and thinking "damn, that's insane haha" it's a lot of petty shit, but that makes it funny.

i have to watch spaceballs again for sure. especially since it's one of the few movies where the german syncro is actually funnier than the original. such a classic.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 01:04:02 PM by Frank »

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #643 on: November 18, 2021, 07:34:18 AM »
The weeknd is sick. Been listening since house of balloons. He makes excellent loving songs about coke.

Tame impala is cool. I like what Kevin puts down. He makes very infectious hooks and riffs
My gf got me into the weekend and it’s like Prince and MJ had a hybrid son that makes gangster ass smooth music.

I actually like it a lot and I’m very picky about new music.
Dueces Bitch's

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #644 on: November 18, 2021, 08:20:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
My gf got me into the weekend and it’s like Prince and MJ had a hybrid son that makes gangster ass smooth music.

I actually like it a lot and I’m very picky about new music.

What's your favorite track of his? It will always be the morning for me.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #645 on: November 18, 2021, 08:36:26 AM »
Team Bon Jovi. I got to school when Slippery When Wet came out and everybody was stoked on it. I still like Slippery When Wet and New Jersey, after that it went downhill.

Also had the poster with the guys in front of the helicopter, hair metal at its best.

After that I got on Christian metal and discovered Stryper.  Their haircuts and fits put Bon Jovi to shame.  :D

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Prinzy

• Rep: 178
« Reply #646 on: November 18, 2021, 11:07:10 AM »

Hard agree, Currents and Lonerism are great records.

Speaking of the cliche tumblr alt/indie bands, I think early Arctic Monkeys is fucking amazing. Nothing beats garage punk era Arctic Monkeys to me, was a massive band to me when i was 13 and still is to this day, timeless tracks imo.

also honorable mention to their middle era of their career when they were dumb heavy at moments, such as this track. Matt Helders will forever be my favorite drummer, dude is on another level.

sorry to spam with videos, just very passionate about my unpopular opinion that the Arctic Monkeys are actually a very good, dynamic band and not just the corny tumblr/coachella/hipster aesthetic they got lumped into during the 2010's.

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #647 on: November 19, 2021, 08:03:46 AM »
Arctic monkeys slaps so hard. I love their earlier stuff. Mardy bum, brianstorm, when the sun goes down, fluorescent adolescent, balaclava, riot van, piledriver waltz, do me a favour, pretty much their first four albums are all total bangers. I didn't really like their last album but i should revisit because i felt that way with king of limbs came out from Radiohead and listening now i think that album is great

Prinzy

« Reply #648 on: November 19, 2021, 11:12:27 AM »
Arctic monkeys slaps so hard. I love their earlier stuff. Mardy bum, brianstorm, when the sun goes down, fluorescent adolescent, balaclava, riot van, piledriver waltz, do me a favour, pretty much their first four albums are all total bangers. I didn't really like their last album but i should revisit because i felt that way with king of limbs came out from Radiohead and listening now i think that album is great

I had a feeling you were a fellow man of culture Dale.

Do Me A Favor and When The Sun Goes Down would easily make Top 5 Arctic Monkeys tracks.

New album is good, definitely not my favorite but some really good tracks that feel like a more mature, comprehensive approach to the style of the AM record. Tracks like The Ultracheese and One Point Perspective are highlights to me, Alex Turner’s lyrics are as witty as ever on them.

Curious on your thoughts as AM as an album though, I actually prefer it over Suck It And See but it pales in comparison to the greatness of the first three.

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #649 on: November 19, 2021, 11:43:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do Me A Favor and When The Sun Goes Down would easily make Top 5 Arctic Monkeys tracks.

New album is good, definitely not my favorite but some really good tracks that feel like a more mature, comprehensive approach to the style of the AM record. Tracks like The Ultracheese and One Point Perspective ive are highlights to me, Alex Turner’s lyrics are as witty as ever on them.

Curious on your thoughts as AM as an album though, I actually prefer it over Suck It And See but it pales in comparison to the greatness of the first three.

I like AM, but i first started listening to Arctic Monkeys in 2011 when Suck it and See first came out, so it'll always have a soft spot in my heart. You never forget your first time yadda yadda yadda. Black treacle, that's where you're wrong, love is a laserquest, she's thunderstorms, all of these are worth revisiting because they all rip.

Having said that, no 1 party anthem might be one of my favorite songs by them ever. Sunglasses indoors par for the course.

Also if you haven't yet, listen to all the little eps they put out. There's tons of golden b side tracks on there like who the fuck are Arctic monkeys, no buses (another of my all time faves), settle for a draw, bigger boys and stolen sweethearts, the bakery, and baby I'm yours.

Skateboard Shuffle

• Rep: 136
« Reply #650 on: November 19, 2021, 12:24:05 PM »
Bon Jovi is terrible. I never thought that would need to be stated in an "unpopular opinions" thread. Lol.

Prinzy

« Reply #651 on: November 19, 2021, 01:05:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

New album is good, definitely not my favorite but some really good tracks that feel like a more mature, comprehensive approach to the style of the AM record. Tracks like The Ultracheese and One Point Perspective ive are highlights to me, Alex Turner’s lyrics are as witty as ever on them.

[close]

I like AM, but i first started listening to Arctic Monkeys in 2011 when Suck it and See first came out, so it'll always have a soft spot in my heart. You never forget your first time yadda yadda yadda. Black treacle, that's where you're wrong, love is a laserquest, she's thunderstorms, all of these are worth revisiting because they all rip.

Having said that, no 1 party anthem might be one of my favorite songs by them ever. Sunglasses indoors par for the course.

Also if you haven't yet, listen to all the little eps they put out. There's tons of golden b side tracks on there like who the fuck are Arctic monkeys, no buses (another of my all time faves), settle for a draw, bigger boys and stolen sweethearts, the bakery, and baby I'm yours.

The parallels continue… suck it and see was my first album of theirs too, got into it alongside Black Keys El Camino that year. Black Treacle is a hit, also love Library Pictures.

Arctic Monkeys were the first band I ever really into when I was like 11, nerded out over every bside, demo, live recording, side project, everything. No Buses and Bigger Boys are great picks, would throw Stickin To The Floor, Da Frame 2R, and The Nettles are picks I’d toss on the bsides list. Turner’s score for the Submarine film is also great, those early recordings of Suck It And See tunes are dope.

Are you a fan of Turner’s side project The Last Shadow Puppets? Really like that first record.

Lastly, one of my favorite deep arctic monkeys cuts. Would’ve loved to see what would’ve happen if they just kept this sound.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #652 on: November 19, 2021, 01:32:43 PM »
Love submarine. I was watching that movie and misfits in my dorms in Portland being a filthy little anglophile.

Definitely dig last shadow puppets. My mistakes were made for you sounds like it would be a killer bond theme

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #653 on: November 19, 2021, 02:50:02 PM »
This stuff:

is better than this stuff:

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #654 on: November 19, 2021, 05:32:42 PM »
This stuff:

I opened this thread because you posted and I know we like similar stuff. Boy oh boy.

This opinion is unpopular because it is wrong. And gross. To think, I almost started the harsh noise and power electronics thread today.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #655 on: November 19, 2021, 07:04:53 PM »
Expand Quote
This stuff:

[close]

I opened this thread because you posted and I know we like similar stuff. Boy oh boy.

This opinion is unpopular because it is wrong. And gross. To think, I almost started the harsh noise and power electronics thread today.

DO IT

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #656 on: November 19, 2021, 09:39:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This stuff:

[close]

[close]

DO IT

Fiiiine I'll admit that I don't think WITTR are better than Mayhem, I just like 'em a whole lot more. Gotta get those jimmies rustlin' somehow, though.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #657 on: November 19, 2021, 09:54:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This stuff:

[close]

[close]

DO IT

yeah, that would be sick

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 133
« Reply #658 on: November 20, 2021, 01:59:49 AM »
This stuff:

Black Metal in general hasn’t really done it for me in the past, the classic Norwegian stuff prides itself on the ”bootleg cassette” sound quality and and it seems so monotonous for the most part, like doom but played fast. I need to feel it in my chest you know?

Saw WitTR play live once as the first band of the night and it wasn’t really kicking off either. But I have learned to respect the genre a bit more in the recent years and especially the more atmospheric stuff has been in my rotation like this band

Music for walking through a snow covered forest
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

newguy

« Reply #659 on: November 20, 2021, 08:18:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i tried to look it up, but i'm not sure on what channel it was, i thought it was rock n roll true stories. but you can find little vids about the beef with gnr (and skid row apparently) all over youtube. i remember i listened to this by coincidence while playing metal wolf chaos and thinking "damn, that's insane haha" it's a lot of petty shit, but that makes it funny.

i have to watch spaceballs again for sure. especially since it's one of the few movies where the german syncro is actually funnier than the original. such a classic.

oh my days german spaceballs is something I need to watch now, sounds mental  :D