Author Topic: unpopular opinions thread - music edition  (Read 24556 times)

fredgallSOTY

Re: unpopular opinions thread - music edition
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2021, 11:23:46 PM »
radiohead sucks
the beatles suck
the sex pistols suck and its funny that everybody looks to them as the example of "punk" (i know not most of yall, but the mainstream) when there were so many more "punk" bands out at the time.
In Square Circle is one of Stevie Wonder's best records, and its dated-ness adds to its charm
The OOZ by King Krule is one of the best albums of the 2010s, easily
jazz/gospel chords > blues chords
loveliescrushing aren't talked about enough in the history/pantheon of dream pop, noise, shoegaze
I feel like Moodymann and Theo Parrish don't get enough credit either, even though they are regarded as legends.

livin on a speyer

« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2021, 01:49:36 AM »
Expand Quote
I really fucking hate Dinosaur Jr and I never want to hear them in a skate video ever again.
[close]

blasphemy
Blasphemy is great!
https://youtu.be/Tqq-pRGLV3E

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2021, 05:25:54 AM »
not about a genre or band, but i totally agree with this man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ2czFuIYmQ

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2021, 05:27:15 AM »
Korn is not that bad of a band, I went through my old CD's for a trip down nostalgia lane and those time's past gotta say Korn, NIN, Sepultura we're in heavy rotation for my soundtrack 95-97.

With some irony my music taste has changed vastly since then however when one looks back at their angsty teenage years a vast majority of it is full of cringey moments,  I don't mind it at all.

Dueces Bitch's

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2021, 06:32:28 AM »

Sorry for indulging but I have some thoughts:

As far as sound quality, I feel like most informed record collectors understand that the sound quality isn't strictly from the medium. Most avid collectors  such as myself have a great stereo/speakers that's responsible. That's why  most of us understand that a Crosley isn't gonna make anything sound good.  On that note I also think the analog vs digital argument is kind of a moot point. I don't know what "better" means among that peer group. I don't know what parameters they listened to their recorded samples nor who/how the samples were recorded and frankly have little interest in it. As far as engineers it's the archer, not the arrow. Peer studies would probably tell you Nirvana's Nevermind is a sonically better record than In Utero, but that doesn't make  it a "better" record.

Regarding the toxicity, his "study" is pretty flawed and means nothing without context. According to a source below vinyl manufacturing accounts for less than half of a percent of PVC production, and that doesn't even get into how much PVC you're exposed to on a daily basis otherwise. And he's flat out wrong about manufacturers refusing to explore  alternative measures to pressing. He clearly did his research with blinders on because there are studies available from before his video came out and I found this source with minimal effort. Wanting manufacturers in general to leave less of a carbon footprint is a reasonable desire but it is ultimately an exaggerated concern. 

https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2019/03/dark-side-of-the-vinyl-are-records-bad-for-the-environment/#:~:text=Vintage%20vinyl%20is%20quite%20likely,new%20compounds%20have%20been%20devised.

That's not to say the complete opposite is true but I take issue with environmental arguments that split these kinda hairs. I have no doubt that the components of a physical record aren't good for you. The same is probably true for most things in your home, and dare I say most foods you buy at the store, or most pieces of tech  we carry around all day about 6 inches away from our ballsacks. I'll refrain from ingesting my record collection, but I honestly have little interest in that kinda micro doom speeches when there are vastly bigger fish to fry.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 06:44:29 AM by pizzafliptofakie »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2021, 07:10:10 AM »
radiohead sucks
the beatles suck
the sex pistols suck and its funny that everybody looks to them as the example of "punk" (i know not most of yall, but the mainstream) when there were so many more "punk" bands out at the time.
In Square Circle is one of Stevie Wonder's best records, and its dated-ness adds to its charm
jazz/gospel chords > blues chords
loveliescrushing aren't talked about enough in the history/pantheon of dream pop, noise, shoegaze
I feel like Moodymann and Theo Parrish don't get enough credit either, even though they are regarded as legends.

Slept on Moodymann forever but yeah.

Korn is not that bad of a band, I went through my old CD's for a trip down nostalgia lane and those time's past gotta say Korn, NIN, Sepultura we're in heavy rotation for my soundtrack 95-97.

With some irony my music taste has changed vastly since then however when one looks back at their angsty teenage years a vast majority of it is full of cringey moments,  I don't mind it at all.

Korn were/are (seen them as recently as 2019) a good band and when their self-titled album and Life is Peachy came out, there was nothing like them. People tend to be revisionists about liking them due to the evolution of nu metal or bullying by peers or whatever, but yeah...they were sick.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2021, 07:13:26 AM »
They’re my homies from high school and I love them dearly, but everything after Joyce manors s/t is fucking garbage.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2021, 08:40:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sorry for indulging but I have some thoughts:

As far as sound quality, I feel like most informed record collectors understand that the sound quality isn't strictly from the medium. Most avid collectors  such as myself have a great stereo/speakers that's responsible. That's why  most of us understand that a Crosley isn't gonna make anything sound good.  On that note I also think the analog vs digital argument is kind of a moot point. I don't know what "better" means among that peer group. I don't know what parameters they listened to their recorded samples nor who/how the samples were recorded and frankly have little interest in it. As far as engineers it's the archer, not the arrow. Peer studies would probably tell you Nirvana's Nevermind is a sonically better record than In Utero, but that doesn't make  it a "better" record.

Regarding the toxicity, his "study" is pretty flawed and means nothing without context. According to a source below vinyl manufacturing accounts for less than half of a percent of PVC production, and that doesn't even get into how much PVC you're exposed to on a daily basis otherwise. And he's flat out wrong about manufacturers refusing to explore  alternative measures to pressing. He clearly did his research with blinders on because there are studies available from before his video came out and I found this source with minimal effort. Wanting manufacturers in general to leave less of a carbon footprint is a reasonable desire but it is ultimately an exaggerated concern. 

https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2019/03/dark-side-of-the-vinyl-are-records-bad-for-the-environment/#:~:text=Vintage%20vinyl%20is%20quite%20likely,new%20compounds%20have%20been%20devised.

That's not to say the complete opposite is true but I take issue with environmental arguments that split these kinda hairs. I have no doubt that the components of a physical record aren't good for you. The same is probably true for most things in your home, and dare I say most foods you buy at the store, or most pieces of tech  we carry around all day about 6 inches away from our ballsacks. I'll refrain from ingesting my record collection, but I honestly have little interest in that kinda micro doom speeches when there are vastly bigger fish to fry.

fair enough.

i agree he omits the fact that the some vinyl presses are trying more eco-friendly ways to press records. i just straight up googled "is there a eco-friendly way to press vinyl?" and got several articles and manufacturers shown. it's still over all not an ecofriendly way to produce records, they have to be shipped, too, which is unnecessary nowadays when you can download it as well.

concerning the quality. i don't think he was saying digital sounds "better", that's of course subjective, pretty sure he is aware of that. most people that say vinyl sounds better attribute it to warmth and dynamic. the latter has nothing to do with the medium though, more with how contemporary music is recorded and mixed. still, vinyl is the inferior information carrier if we are talking about that information getting lost or scrambled. i'd say vinyl is legit for archival purposes, since you can store it a heck of a long time.

as for me personally, i was an ardent defender of vinyl vs other mediums for the longest time, but at some point my record player broke, and i started getting flac versions of some records i wanted to listen to, and with the same setup of amp and boxes, was shocked how much nicer and clearer most of it sounded to me. i felt like i was living in a bubble the whole time. sometimes i miss the crackles and buzzing, but to me, high quality audio files is where it's at nowadays.

i am not too concerned about the health aspect, for the same reasons you described. we are surrounded by plastics all day, it's kinda dumb to make a point about vinyl. then again, i myself try to get rid of or avoid plastic products whenever possible, so personally why would i stop with the vinyl? i love looking at the covers, reading through booklets, but there's nothing preventing me from printing that artwork in the same format if i want to look at it. the whole process of listening to a vinyl record is also unenjoyable to me nowadays.

i will most likely keep my records or at least my most favored ones and those that aren't available online, maybe upload those myself and i still plan on getting a decent player again at some point, but honestly i haven't missed it too much, and since then, i often look at my humble record collection sitting there, collecting dust, and think i don't need this really. i can't see myself going back to vinyl, even if they invent green alternatives, because it's just clunky to me. nowadays i'd rather buy my music on bandcamp, it's great when artists can put out there music with minimal overhead. any physical medium, wether be for music, film or videogames, seems like a waste to me tbh. it's a luxury/vanity item to me. nothing wrong with that if you enjoy it, but i'd like to minimize my footprint and i actually rather pay 12 bucks for a digital album than the same amount for an lp, because the artist probably keeps more from that digital purchase than from the physical release that had to be produced and shipped everywhere. at the same time, i know downloading and streaming uses up energy and hardware as well and isn't necessarily climate neutral.

so that's why i overall agree with him, even if i accept that he went a bit doomer, especially on the health aspect. i wouldn't tell anyone to throw aways their vinyl, or tell them that's garbage, but as i grow older and out of some cliched views i held as i was younger, mostly informed by what i thought what is cool or what isn't, i realized i probably fetishized vinyl, too, because it was simply cool and different, not necessarily better or smarter. it's part of punk and hip hop culture in a way and that's the main reason i wanted to use it. it shows off a lot better than a music folder on your computer and makes for better conversation pieces. people are way more impressed in social situations when you tell them that you own the velvet under ground & nico early pressing on vinyl than by you knowing that record in and out, cause they can't see or prove that and it takes no effort to listen to em, but to hunt that lp down and have the money to pay for it.

that is another part i dislike about vinyl culture, not everyone has the funds to maintain that setup, or even the space for it. it's like with tattoos. everyone acts like it's some underground culture thing, but it's actually a product you buy. there is no reason to be proud about owning that edition or have tattoos from a great artist, because everyone who pays can do that. it says nothing about a persons merit, but for most people i feel like vinyl and tattoos(i have tattoos myself) are about projecting some sort of sophistication and low key wealth status. why else would broke ass people sacrifice their funds for this? i know so many people that are too broke for everything and complain all the time about it, but get tattoos, records or tech stuff liberally. i love tattoos and wish i'd have gotten more while i was young enough to have reaped the coolness points, but it makes no sense to me to not eat for a month just to get one, or get one vinyl record with a booklet that i will read once and then never again when i can buy two digital records for the price and let the artist keep more money.

don't want to offend any vinyl(or tattoo) lover on here, both things are rad and if that's what makes one happy, i'm all for it. but the whole myth of vinyl being the superb medium for music is total bullshit imo. it's the same thing like using some old ass handgrinder for your coffee and tricking yourself into thinking it makes the coffee taste better, when in reality that cheap ass old handgrinder probably grinds like shit and gives you carpal tunnel and a cheap electric spice grinder might yield better results, but is not so nostalgic and nice to look at.

one thing though i dislike sometimes about digital formats is it triggers my tinnitus way more than vinyl, or analogue sources in general. mostly on youtube and sources as such though.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2021, 10:19:16 AM »
They’re my homies from high school and I love them dearly, but everything after Joyce manors s/t is fucking garbage.
there’s one track on the pink record (i think, idk it’s been years) but they are by far the second best musical act to come out of those members

Grind King Rims

« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2021, 11:13:18 AM »

I don't know if I'd go that far, because similar to Plastic Beach, half of it is amazing and then the other half is trash, but I've listened to the slower melodramatic songs on that record an absolute shit tonne the past couple of years.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2021, 11:18:10 AM »

man, that self titled was really something special. One of my favorite records of the past decade. I like the two that came after but not so much Cody and Million Dollars. Barry's a nice guy though.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

fair enough.

concerning the quality. i don't think he was saying digital sounds "better", that's of course subjective, pretty sure he is aware of that. most people that say vinyl sounds better attribute it to warmth and dynamic. the latter has nothing to do with the medium though, more with how contemporary music is recorded and mixed. still, vinyl is the inferior information carrier if we are talking about that information getting lost or scrambled. i'd say vinyl is legit for archival purposes, since you can store it a heck of a long time.

as for me personally, i was an ardent defender of vinyl vs other mediums for the longest time, but at some point my record player broke, and i started getting flac versions of some records i wanted to listen to, and with the same setup of amp and boxes, was shocked how much nicer and clearer most of it sounded to me. i felt like i was living in a bubble the whole time. sometimes i miss the crackles and buzzing, but to me, high quality audio files is where it's at nowadays.

so that's why i overall agree with him, even if i accept that he went a bit doomer, especially on the health aspect. i wouldn't tell anyone to throw aways their vinyl, or tell them that's garbage, but as i grow older and out of some cliched views i held as i was younger, mostly informed by what i thought what is cool or what isn't, i realized i probably fetishized vinyl, too, because it was simply cool and different, not necessarily better or smarter. it's part of punk and hip hop culture in a way and that's the main reason i wanted to use it. it shows off a lot better than a music folder on your computer and makes for better conversation pieces. people are way more impressed in social situations when you tell them that you own the velvet under ground & nico early pressing on vinyl than by you knowing that record in and out, cause they can't see or prove that and it takes no effort to listen to em, but to hunt that lp down and have the money to pay for it.

that is another part i dislike about vinyl culture, not everyone has the funds to maintain that setup, or even the space for it. it's like with tattoos. everyone acts like it's some underground culture thing, but it's actually a product you buy. there is no reason to be proud about owning that edition or have tattoos from a great artist, because everyone who pays can do that. it says nothing about a persons merit, but for most people i feel like vinyl and tattoos(i have tattoos myself) are about projecting some sort of sophistication and low key wealth status. why else would broke ass people sacrifice their funds for this? i know so many people that are too broke for everything and complain all the time about it, but get tattoos, records or tech stuff liberally. i love tattoos and wish i'd have gotten more while i was young enough to have reaped the coolness points, but it makes no sense to me to not eat for a month just to get one, or get one vinyl record with a booklet that i will read once and then never again when i can buy two digital records for the price and let the artist keep more money.

All fair points. I don't think the guy who made that video is totally off the mark, but I think some of his points are more fluff than an actual argument. The whole "better" thing regarding digital/analogue is obviously subjective, but when he was bringing up the peer review study there are lots of obvious factors ignored that make that report mean nothing to me. I know bands that recorded digitally one album then analogue the next and the difference is pretty astronomical, but ultimately that more has to do with the engineer than the physical medium. I could be mistaken but most aficionados I know seem to understand that good sound quality with vinyl has more to do with the player than it just being on a record. I hear the "warmth" thing mostly from newbies who buy Crosley's, which at one point was me until the guy at my local record shop schooled me on players.

I think the tattoo analogy is funny and I don't disagree. I think it was Henry Rollins who said that collecting vinyl was the ultimate "sober guy" hobby which really resonates with me. Upon getting a decent paying job my lifestyle has remained almost the same except that I let loose in a record store when the opportunity presents itself. It's frivolous, but I'll always be a sucker for physical media and it'll always mean more to be to be able to hold albums that really left a lasting impression on my life. I still stream and buy digital music out of convenience and necessity. And I think it's a good thing to strive for production to be a little more green, but ultimately I think environmental discussions are better suited toward behemoth corporations destroying the earth than dorks like me sitting around spinning records across the room.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2021, 01:18:02 PM »
@pizzafliptofakie

i agree with a lot of this or at least can see that point of view. especially when it comes to the thing that it's more important to hold big corps responsible to go green on a large scale.

i personally don't get the thing about warmth either, i included it not because i think so or thought so, but it's something a lot of people say(organic sound is another thing i hear often, what even is that lol). maybe a good analogy would be a quantized beat vs an unquantized one that is built very precise tho. or something like that. either way, thanks for the input. made me reconsider the video a bit, even though i largely still agree that vinyl as a mass phenomenon is kinda dumb or played out. 

the dudes channel is still pretty cool though. i probably could find some more unpopular music opinions on there, haha. i find that interesting, even if the guy overdoes it a bit at times(see also recent behringer video, even though he's right that that company is scummy imo).

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 129
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2021, 03:38:38 PM »
I disregarded house and techno for a long time even though I've been listening to electronic music since the late 90's. Moodymann has some really really good tracks. Wish I would have listened to some friends recommendations a long time ago, but it's nice to find a new catalog of tunes to go through. Legend status for the heads for sure.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2021, 04:21:07 AM »
Gotta preface this by saying I love geto boys and I love bushwick bill(rip), but here’s my take.

Bushwick was clearly the weakest member of the geto boys, look no further than the track Chuckie. But after using him for the cover of we can’t be stopped he became irreplaceable.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2021, 09:16:58 AM »
Gotta preface this by saying I love geto boys and I love bushwick bill(rip), but here’s my take.

Bushwick was clearly the weakest member of the geto boys, look no further than the track Chuckie. But after using him for the cover of we can’t be stopped he became irreplaceable.
Absolutely agree with this sentiment right here sure Bushwick Bill was definitely a better hype man than flavor flav and street cred.

Scarface was the most versatile man in that group, sure Willie D had a great solo album and entrepreneurship with his YouTube channel.
Dueces Bitch's

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2021, 09:33:48 AM »
Daft Punk gets way too much love for only making one great album (Discovery) and a bunch of so-so albums with a couple great songs on each.

Video game music is Japan’s greatest contribution to music and it’s not even close.

Blonde is overrated as hell.

Plastic Beach is criminally underrated, or at least didn’t have the lifespan that it probably deserved.

Prince blew it by not letting Koston use his song in Yeah Right, he owned his music at that point.

Skating to a hip hop song then skating to it’s sample as the 2nd song like Rodrigo TX did in Parental Advisory should be done way more often.
Homework. The album by daft punk that's great is homework. Also correct on plastic beach, you get  bobby Womack and mos def on an album...sick.
Whoa. Danger.

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2021, 12:20:07 PM »
Don't know if anyone has said this in this thread but the first half of the song for Kostons part is painfully bad

Grind King Rims

« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2021, 01:54:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Daft Punk gets way too much love for only making one great album (Discovery) and a bunch of so-so albums with a couple great songs on each.

Video game music is Japan’s greatest contribution to music and it’s not even close.

Blonde is overrated as hell.

Plastic Beach is criminally underrated, or at least didn’t have the lifespan that it probably deserved.

Prince blew it by not letting Koston use his song in Yeah Right, he owned his music at that point.

Skating to a hip hop song then skating to it’s sample as the 2nd song like Rodrigo TX did in Parental Advisory should be done way more often.
[close]
Homework. The album by daft punk that's great is homework. Also correct on plastic beach, you get  bobby Womack and mos def on an album...sick.

Thinking Homework is better than Discovery is an unpopular opinion. Anyway, Alive 2007 is where the Homework tracks really got their time to shine and it might be their best album.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2021, 03:11:26 AM »

I was going to post along these lines as well. Like people treat many bands of this era with disdain since apparently 20 years later numetal is still "the worst thing to happen to music", but what exactly do bands like Korn, System of a Down, Deftones or Slipknot have in common with rap-rock like Limp Bizkit or P.O.D.? What is the definition of numetal then, drop-tuned guitars? Performed at Ozzfest or Family Values?

Like you don't have to like them, but show some respect. Or maybe some people just didn't have their angsty teenage years, in which case, I don't know, you win or something?
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2021, 11:20:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I was going to post along these lines as well. Like people treat many bands of this era with disdain since apparently 20 years later numetal is still "the worst thing to happen to music", but what exactly do bands like Korn, System of a Down, Deftones or Slipknot have in common with rap-rock like Limp Bizkit or P.O.D.? What is the definition of numetal then, drop-tuned guitars? Performed at Ozzfest or Family Values?

Like you don't have to like them, but show some respect. Or maybe some people just didn't have their angsty teenage years, in which case, I don't know, you win or something?
Look I'm not going to front and say I didn't clown on them/secretly liked them when they were around and yea I did own quite a few albums and shirts for the most part.

I lived in rural ass backwards Alabama/Tennessee before the internet we had to source out a band through word of mouth and album covers. I mean sure you had tried and true bands Slayer Metallica or Iron Maiden but as far as new music that was left up to chance or recommendation which could be hit or miss depending the person's taste.

Now back to the Nu-Metal thing it was definitely revolutionary for what it was regardless of someone liking it, no other subgenre was going to touch it like a leaky bag of dogshit it was admonished.

With heavy reluctance the kooky fans kinda almost ruined it for me because those that like nu-metal also could be meathead beat your ass types which is always fun till hatebreed and all those cop type of hardcore found its own lane.   

In the end music it is all subjective some bands are pleasing and poignant in it's timeline and ones own life and some are heavily slept on.
Dueces Bitch's

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2021, 11:24:17 AM »
Faith No More is waaaaay better than Red Hot Chili Peppers.........
Dueces Bitch's

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2021, 11:31:12 AM »

I feel like that’s not a hot take it’s just having functioning hearing.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2021, 01:29:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like that’s not a hot take it’s just having functioning hearing.
Tell that to my jazz bassist friend who practically sucks Fleas dick...... Dude is on some other level kook when it comes to music tastes.
Dueces Bitch's

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2021, 02:44:36 PM »
Here’s my contribution for the day...

If Alan Lomax never toured the country, we (white people) would still be jamming shit like the camp town ladies and Yankee Doodle dandy.

Obvious, maybe, but needs to be acknowledged.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2021, 03:50:48 PM »

If Alan Lomax never toured the country, we (white people) would still be jamming shit like the camp town ladies and Yankee Doodle dandy.

What Alan Lomax did to capture those historical songs is amazing.

Nobody actually listens to Sunn O))). They just like the t-shirts, and getting really high and going to the live show.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2021, 12:26:34 AM »

Nobody actually listens to Sunn O))). They just like the t-shirts, and getting really high and going to the live show.
I've really tried to give them a chance. I just can't do it.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2021, 11:17:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What Alan Lomax did to capture those historical songs is amazing.

Cry yourself to ashhhhhhhhhhhh

For what it's worth, I've listened to like 2 Sunn O))) records and enjoyed them both, but never really stuck with them.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #117 on: January 13, 2021, 01:08:02 PM »
one of the greatest albums of all time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FRFcE-jsQo

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2021, 05:22:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I've really tried to give them a chance. I just can't do it.
If you're in to music and heavy riffs you'll like it IMO...... I'm a bass player and I've found that weird semblance of playing around with pedals and going to weird places in music and drums.

Sun(o))) for me is the doom psychedelic heaviness that a few might like.......

Sun(0)) is the new Neurosis, & Tool is the Walmart discount version of Neurosis.

https://youtu.be/MowMNgVhrso
My old band sucked....
Dueces Bitch's

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2021, 09:00:39 PM »
how to clean everything, in comparison to their later discography, is trash, and supporting caste is the best propagandhi album.
I don't think anyone would really argue with you there, but you kinda have to consider them as 2 separate bands or entities bands: John-era vs Todd-era.
Also when did you start listening to them, that will heavily affect your opinion of them. HTCE was my first album of theirs and while everyone likes to say "they transformed into this huge progressive thrash band", even during my first listen (and with my very limited understanding of music) I was like, "these punks like Metallica".

I also adore John K Samson as a song writer too so perhaps I'm biased? My fav album is the split 10" with ISPY because I get John-era propganadhi and I also get to hear Todd's songs. Having said that, and if I'm being honest with myself, Failed States probably comes in at number 2 or 3 for me. Supporting Caste is solid though and I think in years to come we'll also need a beaver-era of the band too when comparing their collective work because he really brought a lot to the band! Have you heard his instrumental band Giant Sons? Awesome shit!

but yeah, musically of course their earlier work is going to sound shitty (I even owned their demo tapes) and there is a tonne of fans who think supporting caste is right up there.

if I'm talking to someone about music and they even mention the Sex Pistols and punk in the same sentence, I immediately right them off (as some Duane Peters type doosh) and pretend I know nothing about punk music...

ThE Sex Pistols wEre so PUNX!!

yeah, oh really? I know nothing about punk music how fascinating ... oh look there is some paint drying on a wall, bye!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 10:26:54 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year