Author Topic: unpopular opinions thread - music edition  (Read 24607 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: unpopular opinions thread - music edition
« Reply #210 on: January 28, 2021, 11:43:28 PM »
Unsung is such a great helmet song

RATM come from the hardcore scene and defs not nu-metal

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #211 on: January 29, 2021, 01:46:34 AM »
Led Zeppelin is annoying because of Robert Plant's vocals

besides over the hills and far away - have a soft spot from that Jeremy Wray edit lol

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #212 on: January 29, 2021, 04:04:10 AM »
I never really liked Led Zeppelin, sure their band is talented but Robert plants voice sucks..
Dueces Bitch's

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #213 on: January 29, 2021, 04:10:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Punkest thing in the past 10 years has been a country duo from Nashville called Birdcloud.

https://youtu.be/ptSowP3Rm8k
[close]

This was the most punk shit I’ve seen in my entire life holy shit this amazing.

Check out their back catalogue.

It’s full of gems like this

https://youtu.be/CLYAPIgXmf4
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #214 on: January 29, 2021, 05:28:21 AM »
I love Helmet. My very first "skate video" was an enhanced CD called "Bored Generation" that had a mix of Hip Hop and Punk, and it had "Wilma's Rainbow" on it.  They were definitely pioneers of drop tuning in and in that sense were very influential on Nu Metal. That being said, Faith No More was Korn's biggest influence and TBH I see them as having more in common with the genre than Helmet (don't tell that to weirdly snobby Mike Patton fans).

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #215 on: January 29, 2021, 11:12:26 AM »
I love Helmet. My very first "skate video" was an enhanced CD called "Bored Generation" that had a mix of Hip Hop and Punk, and it had "Wilma's Rainbow" on it.  They were definitely pioneers of drop tuning in and in that sense were very influential on Nu Metal. That being said, Faith No More was Korn's biggest influence and TBH I see them as having more in common with the genre than Helmet (don't tell that to weirdly snobby Mike Patton fans).
Yeah I honestly forgot about Faith No More, which makes a hell of a lot of sense.

I would argue that Red Hot Chili Peppers were biting FNM style but that's just me though.
Dueces Bitch's

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #216 on: January 29, 2021, 12:58:16 PM »
I never really liked Led Zeppelin, sure their band is talented but Robert plants voice sucks..

this is pretty much where I am at. Can give respect cuz the musicianship but fuck the vocals are so lame

also this band cos-playing led zeppelin is so funny. some of this shit could be straight out of spinal tap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86_vnQc1oBE

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #217 on: January 29, 2021, 07:01:47 PM »
But if we say that numetal is alternative metal from around the turn of millenium, I think that would have to include bands like Tool
Is the late 80'/early 90s the turn of the millenium now?

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #218 on: January 29, 2021, 10:11:25 PM »
Expand Quote
But if we say that numetal is alternative metal from around the turn of millenium, I think that would have to include bands like Tool
[close]
Limp Bizkit's two first albums came out in '97 and '99 and they were considered the pinnacle of numetal. Chocolate Starfish was 2000.

I was just looking for a definition, so if you have a definition of numetal that's centered around late 80'/early 90s let's hear it.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #219 on: January 29, 2021, 10:19:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Limp Bizkit's two first albums came out in '97 and '99 and they were considered the pinnacle of numetal. Chocolate Starfish was 2000.

I was just looking for a definition, so if you have a definition of numetal that's centered around late 80'/early 90s let's hear it.
Because I'm thinking of stuff like Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, P.O.D, fucking Crazy Town... These were big in 2000 onwards.

And in any case my original point here was that some like to lump bands as numetal and that automatically makes them bad, when in my opinion there is little in common between bands like Korn, Slipknot, Limp Bizkit and System of a Down, especially as the bands matured, but all of these I have seen called numetal (not in this thread necessarily)
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #220 on: January 30, 2021, 05:05:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Because I'm thinking of stuff like Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, P.O.D, fucking Crazy Town... These were big in 2000 onwards.

And in any case my original point here was that some like to lump bands as numetal and that automatically makes them bad, when in my opinion there is little in common between bands like Korn, Slipknot, Limp Bizkit and System of a Down, especially as the bands matured, but all of these I have seen called numetal (not in this thread necessarily)
For sure I hear this a lot of these band’s were summed up together but completely totally different in similar styles but either toured together or had interwoven friendships

I have to say though if I were to prefer a timeline for this era would be early 90’s to 98’ wasn’t played out it had it’s moments in time that were nostalgic for me.
Dueces Bitch's

livin on a speyer

« Reply #221 on: January 30, 2021, 09:41:24 AM »
Rap is the most boring music genre there is.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #222 on: January 30, 2021, 11:09:13 AM »
Rap is the most boring music genre there is.

I disagree - much like punk - there are subcultures/styles within the culture and maybe you just haven’t found the sound/lyricism that suits your taste.

Are you writing off rap as a whole due to what’s popular today?

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #223 on: January 30, 2021, 11:51:05 AM »
rage against the machine and downset laid the foundation for nu metal. they’re the jumping off point for the genre, so it’s a valid classification. it’s like throwing emo on husker du in retrospect

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #224 on: February 04, 2021, 06:37:39 PM »
rage against the machine and downset laid the foundation for nu metal. they’re the jumping off point for the genre, so it’s a valid classification. it’s like throwing emo on husker du in retrospect

wouldn't emo be at the drive in?

this kind of pivots well to a point i was going to make which is i think a lot of shitty styles of musics from that era spun off a great bands or at least bands that put out some great songs/albums. the two obvious examples for me in the 90s would be rage and ATDI. both were great but then their style got quickly imitated into these horrible genres that overshadowed the source material. the grunge bands were no where near as bad as the modern rock stuff that imitated it, etc...

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #225 on: February 04, 2021, 07:16:49 PM »
I like Spiral Stairs vocals better than malkmus's
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #226 on: February 04, 2021, 07:23:04 PM »
Warsaw is the best joy division track by a mile.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #227 on: February 04, 2021, 07:33:54 PM »
I don't know man, a means to an end is a close contender for being a top 10 IMO.
Dueces Bitch's

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #228 on: February 04, 2021, 07:43:26 PM »
Shit, I was about to reply to the posts on the first page not realizing there were eight of them. I like all Ramones eras for different reasons, they really were quite the interesting band. I know a lot of people prefer to ignore their late stuff, and also despised their increasingly high speed live but I was always rather fascinated by it, especially due to how it really had a lot to do with how they couldn't stand each other and thus wanted to keep gigs shorter and shorter but without sacrificing the number of songs on the set list. Some stuff off Animal Boy like Crummy Stuff is so bubble gummy but I totally bite. Joey had some cool solo hits too, I'm a big fan of his version of Life's A Gas or Duke Of Earl and in general there's a German (IIRC) documentary on his life that I'd recommend watching if you're a fan.

NOFX's last good record was So Long And Thanks For All The Shoes and also one of their very best, up there with Ribbed/White Trash/Punk In Drublic to me. On the other hand, S&M Airlines has some of the worst singing I've ever heard recorded, this is just not rockin'. Maximum Rocknroll and Liberal Animation remind me of some of the best nardcore bands in a good way (the latter almost feels like a crude interpretation of ST's Join The Army, too), but damn those lyrics. Bad Religion lost me around Generator, but How Could Hell Be Any Worse, Suffer, Against the Grain and most especially No Control are all time.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #229 on: February 04, 2021, 08:22:55 PM »
^backed on that later Ramones statement. Howling at the moon off Animal Boy could easily make a top 10 list of best songs of all time. Also I dig the huge sounding production on tracks like Bonzo goes to Bitburg

.38 Special 'Caught Up In You' is one of the best songs ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg21Rkew874

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #230 on: February 04, 2021, 10:18:25 PM »
I fucking love Coldplay. I have their lyrics tattooed on my ribs.

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #231 on: February 04, 2021, 11:18:32 PM »
I enjoyed reading the nu metal discussion the last 2 pages.

Anyways, Jay Reatard & The Black Lips rule.   

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #232 on: February 05, 2021, 03:41:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I don't know man, a means to an end is a close contender for being a top 10 IMO.

Yeah true, I mean I love joy division. But, sometimes their tracks can feel bloated and distanced. But if I’m of my meds and feeling like garbage, they hit a lot different than if I’m on my meds.

In the same breath though, as much as I love rudimentary peni, nick blinko made hesitate for years about getting on anti-psychotics, I’m glad I did and it changed my life for the better, but had I not read the primal screamer when I was 13, I would probably be much more well adjusted.

Art Greco

• Rep: 14
    • Skate2Junkies avatar image
« Reply #233 on: February 05, 2021, 06:07:51 AM »
Shit, I was about to reply to the posts on the first page not realizing there were eight of them. I like all Ramones eras for different reasons, they really were quite the interesting band. I know a lot of people prefer to ignore their late stuff, and also despised their increasingly high speed live but I was always rather fascinated by it, especially due to how it really had a lot to do with how they couldn't stand each other and thus wanted to keep gigs shorter and shorter but without sacrificing the number of songs on the set list. Some stuff off Animal Boy like Crummy Stuff is so bubble gummy but I totally bite. Joey had some cool solo hits too, I'm a big fan of his version of Life's A Gas or Duke Of Earl and in general there's a German (IIRC) documentary on his life that I'd recommend watching if you're a fan.

NOFX's last good record was So Long And Thanks For All The Shoes and also one of their very best, up there with Ribbed/White Trash/Punk In Drublic to me. On the other hand, S&M Airlines has some of the worst singing I've ever heard recorded, this is just not rockin'. Maximum Rocknroll and Liberal Animation remind me of some of the best nardcore bands in a good way (the latter almost feels like a crude interpretation of ST's Join The Army, too), but damn those lyrics. Bad Religion lost me around Generator, but How Could Hell Be Any Worse, Suffer, Against the Grain and most especially No Control are all time.

Too Tough To Die and Halfway To Sanity are my favorite Ramones records.  They got past that rudimentary three chord stuff and really became a good, serious songwriting band at that point. 

Songs like I Wanna Live and  Planet Earth 1988 are miles ahead of what they were doing on Leave Home and Rocket To Russia, imo.
What's going on over at https://skate2junkies.proboards.com/ ???

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #234 on: February 05, 2021, 06:29:05 AM »

I think Wolves In Wolves' Clothing is a great NOFX record start to finish. I like stuff from their later catalog but that might be the only one I think is good all the way through. But So Long is my favorite.

The Ramones' later records (especially Animal Boy) are interesting because of how fragmented the writing is. Joey was my favorite member even though Dee Dee was the best songwriter of the band.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #235 on: February 05, 2021, 06:42:27 AM »

i love helmet as well, and betty especially. wilmas rainbow, milquetoast and street crab are my favorites.

this another 90s alt metal/noise/post hardcore band that ruled, but noone talks about, with helmets peter mengede on guitar. also with ex members of gorilla buiscuits and quicksand. you hear quicksand a lot in there, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nYlz4oeIIg

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #236 on: February 06, 2021, 02:01:45 PM »
Have you listened to the No Dogs in Space series on Joy Division?

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #237 on: February 06, 2021, 02:13:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Have you listened to the No Dogs in Space series on Joy Division?

Yes I have! Super good series

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #238 on: February 06, 2021, 07:35:49 PM »
Expand Quote
down for helmet, glad to see them brought up

rage is definitely not nu metal and i don't get hate on them. they were damn near retired when nu metal hit. always thoght they were a unique band, still revisit them often. i agree with judgement night kicking off the nu metal genre and really i think korn was the first big band in that genre.

also don't get the hate on tool. they are still releasing great albums. saw them last year. that said i've often thought that tool is probably my generations rush. that band the middle aged white guys get hyped on that no one who wasn't there when they came out likes.
[close]
I've got a theory about Tool that might be an unpopular opinion just hear me out, So if Pink Floyd was the progenitor of psychodelic music? and they had decent stuff Neurosis is the crusty version of Pink Floyd then to you sir Tool is the Walmart version of Neurosis/Pink Floyd and Baroness is the punker version of Tool. 

. Many band's afterwards have emulated that artsy style of dissidents and trippy music mixed with hard rock/metal and I'm glad for it

Got me curious. What are these new bands doing this style.

Few notes
- love Pink Floyd so disagree there
- tool shits on baroness for me but I get the comparison
- haven’t jammed neurosis but will

Edit:

Fuck neurosis is bad ass, well played. Share some other bands 😀
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 07:44:30 PM by Sleazy »

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #239 on: February 07, 2021, 03:22:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
down for helmet, glad to see them brought up

rage is definitely not nu metal and i don't get hate on them. they were damn near retired when nu metal hit. always thoght they were a unique band, still revisit them often. i agree with judgement night kicking off the nu metal genre and really i think korn was the first big band in that genre.

also don't get the hate on tool. they are still releasing great albums. saw them last year. that said i've often thought that tool is probably my generations rush. that band the middle aged white guys get hyped on that no one who wasn't there when they came out likes.
[close]
I've got a theory about Tool that might be an unpopular opinion just hear me out, So if Pink Floyd was the progenitor of psychodelic music? and they had decent stuff Neurosis is the crusty version of Pink Floyd then to you sir Tool is the Walmart version of Neurosis/Pink Floyd and Baroness is the punker version of Tool. 

. Many band's afterwards have emulated that artsy style of dissidents and trippy music mixed with hard rock/metal and I'm glad for it
[close]

Got me curious. What are these new bands doing this style.

Few notes
- love Pink Floyd so disagree there
- tool shits on baroness for me but I get the comparison
- haven’t jammed neurosis but will

Edit:

Fuck neurosis is bad ass, well played. Share some other bands 😀
What I’m saying and upon reflection of these bands mentioned beforehand they give or take from each band in one or more ways.

Pink Floyd for abstract art psychedelic music  and hedonism very good band from what I’ve heard.

Neurosis for their albums as they had a nonlinear but well worth a listen of side projects that could be listened to in synch with other albums, absolutely love Neurosis.

Now here’s my little nugget about Tool to me
I personally find them overrated. Don't get me wrong, they make fairly good post-hardcore/"alternative metal" with a fairly progressive approach and even bits of experimentalism, but I find that a lot of the fanbase overemphasizes on the latter part in two different ways:

Post-hardcore has pretty much always had plenty of bands thinking outside of the box. Before the genre was highjacked by pop rock/punk acts looking for a tougher image, the definition of the genre was essentially "hardcore punk that has shifted too much from punk to still be part of the genre".
Some of the band's more blatantly "experimental" compositional techniques are lifted straight from what plenty of 20th Century composers did, only with less nuance. Don't get me wrong, the results were generally good, but it isn't a "stroke of genius", just mid-level avant-garde composition.

Basically, I think that people really overstate their uniqueness. There were and are plenty of other bands that are doing stuff that's considerably more "out there", but they are considerably less successful because the average listener gets put off by their sound (as a note: I don't think Tool are intentionally audience pandering)

Baroness, Torche, Kylesa, Black Tusk, and these other bands have taken the best parts of “prog rock” and upped the ante waaay more than Tool ever has.
Dueces Bitch's