Author Topic: unpopular opinions thread - music edition  (Read 24572 times)

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: unpopular opinions thread - music edition
« Reply #240 on: February 07, 2021, 08:35:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
down for helmet, glad to see them brought up

rage is definitely not nu metal and i don't get hate on them. they were damn near retired when nu metal hit. always thoght they were a unique band, still revisit them often. i agree with judgement night kicking off the nu metal genre and really i think korn was the first big band in that genre.

also don't get the hate on tool. they are still releasing great albums. saw them last year. that said i've often thought that tool is probably my generations rush. that band the middle aged white guys get hyped on that no one who wasn't there when they came out likes.
[close]
I've got a theory about Tool that might be an unpopular opinion just hear me out, So if Pink Floyd was the progenitor of psychodelic music? and they had decent stuff Neurosis is the crusty version of Pink Floyd then to you sir Tool is the Walmart version of Neurosis/Pink Floyd and Baroness is the punker version of Tool. 

. Many band's afterwards have emulated that artsy style of dissidents and trippy music mixed with hard rock/metal and I'm glad for it
[close]

Got me curious. What are these new bands doing this style.

Few notes
- love Pink Floyd so disagree there
- tool shits on baroness for me but I get the comparison
- haven’t jammed neurosis but will

Edit:

Fuck neurosis is bad ass, well played. Share some other bands 😀
[close]
What I’m saying and upon reflection of these bands mentioned beforehand they give or take from each band in one or more ways.

Pink Floyd for abstract art psychedelic music  and hedonism very good band from what I’ve heard.

Neurosis for their albums as they had a nonlinear but well worth a listen of side projects that could be listened to in synch with other albums, absolutely love Neurosis.

Now here’s my little nugget about Tool to me
I personally find them overrated. Don't get me wrong, they make fairly good post-hardcore/"alternative metal" with a fairly progressive approach and even bits of experimentalism, but I find that a lot of the fanbase overemphasizes on the latter part in two different ways:

Post-hardcore has pretty much always had plenty of bands thinking outside of the box. Before the genre was highjacked by pop rock/punk acts looking for a tougher image, the definition of the genre was essentially "hardcore punk that has shifted too much from punk to still be part of the genre".
Some of the band's more blatantly "experimental" compositional techniques are lifted straight from what plenty of 20th Century composers did, only with less nuance. Don't get me wrong, the results were generally good, but it isn't a "stroke of genius", just mid-level avant-garde composition.

Basically, I think that people really overstate their uniqueness. There were and are plenty of other bands that are doing stuff that's considerably more "out there", but they are considerably less successful because the average listener gets put off by their sound (as a note: I don't think Tool are intentionally audience pandering)

Baroness, Torche, Kylesa, Black Tusk, and these other bands have taken the best parts of “prog rock” and upped the ante waaay more than Tool ever has.

really appreciate your perspective. i've listened to kylesa and baroness and will check out the other bands. i'm kind of suprised isis didn't show up on your list. i'm not a huge fan but that one popular album got a few spins from me.

all that said, i think you might be slightly biased against tool due to their popularity and seeing their dick stickers on the back of pickup trucks. for me the fact that they've pushed back against their fame more so than any other band i feel offsets that a good bit. they've got great live shows but good luck finding any pro shot footage. maynard has been in the back ground at live shows for a really long time now and you mostly just see his silhouette. they refused to put their music on streaming platforms up until very recently and have basically just done their own thing for a really long time despite their popularity. that said, i went saw them for the first time in a long time last year and i honestly didn't realize how popular they were and was pretty annoyed and disappointed when the venue turned out to be a sports stadium arena. definitely preferred seeing them live in the early 90s as small venues.

these are some of the tracks they've done which i think are pretty solid.

i think this is one of their better tracks. the breakdown at 7:24 where the beats and bass kind of sound like they are going backwards is one of my favorite things they've done
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBgviceBzFs

this jam off their new ablum is so good and really show cases danny's drumming which is amazing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FssULNGSZIA

and then going back to their second and most popular album, this song to me is pretty amazing and maybe it's my lack of exposure to bands like nurossis at the time that it came out but it was pretty unique sound to me and all my friends in college and i still feel that it was progressive for it's time and considering that it was released on an album that had so many hits that dominated the airways and MTV makes it more impressive to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51fcG3sxvII

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #241 on: February 07, 2021, 04:43:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

rage is definitely not nu metal and i don't get hate on them. they were damn near retired when nu metal hit. always thoght they were a unique band, still revisit them often. i agree with judgement night kicking off the nu metal genre and really i think korn was the first big band in that genre.

also don't get the hate on tool. they are still releasing great albums. saw them last year. that said i've often thought that tool is probably my generations rush. that band the middle aged white guys get hyped on that no one who wasn't there when they came out likes.
[close]
I've got a theory about Tool that might be an unpopular opinion just hear me out, So if Pink Floyd was the progenitor of psychodelic music? and they had decent stuff Neurosis is the crusty version of Pink Floyd then to you sir Tool is the Walmart version of Neurosis/Pink Floyd and Baroness is the punker version of Tool. 

. Many band's afterwards have emulated that artsy style of dissidents and trippy music mixed with hard rock/metal and I'm glad for it
[close]

Few notes

Edit:

[close]
What I’m saying and upon reflection of these bands mentioned beforehand they give or take from each band in one or more ways.

Pink Floyd for abstract art psychedelic music  and hedonism very good band from what I’ve heard.

Neurosis for their albums as they had a nonlinear but well worth a listen of side projects that could be listened to in synch with other albums, absolutely love Neurosis.

I personally find them overrated. Don't get me wrong, they make fairly good post-hardcore/"alternative metal" with a fairly progressive approach and even bits of experimentalism, but I find that a lot of the fanbase overemphasizes on the latter part in two different ways:

Post-hardcore has pretty much always had plenty of bands thinking outside of the box. Before the genre was highjacked by pop rock/punk acts looking for a tougher image, the definition of the genre was essentially "hardcore punk that has shifted too much from punk to still be part of the genre".
Some of the band's more blatantly "experimental" compositional techniques are lifted straight from what plenty of 20th Century composers did, only with less nuance. Don't get me wrong, the results were generally good, but it isn't a "stroke of genius", just mid-level avant-garde composition.

Basically, I think that people really overstate their uniqueness. There were and are plenty of other bands that are doing stuff that's considerably more "out there", but they are considerably less successful because the average listener gets put off by their sound (as a note: I don't think Tool are intentionally audience pandering)

Baroness, Torche, Kylesa, Black Tusk, and these other bands have taken the best parts of “prog rock” and upped the ante waaay more than Tool ever has.
[close]

really appreciate your perspective. i've listened to kylesa and baroness and will check out the other bands. i'm kind of suprised isis didn't show up on your list. i'm not a huge fan but that one popular album got a few spins from me.

all that said, i think you might be slightly biased against tool due to their popularity and seeing their dick stickers on the back of pickup trucks. for me the fact that they've pushed back against their fame more so than any other band i feel offsets that a good bit. they've got great live shows but good luck finding any pro shot footage. maynard has been in the back ground at live shows for a really long time now and you mostly just see his silhouette. they refused to put their music on streaming platforms up until very recently and have basically just done their own thing for a really long time despite their popularity. that said, i went saw them for the first time in a long time last year and i honestly didn't realize how popular they were and was pretty annoyed and disappointed when the venue turned out to be a sports stadium arena. definitely preferred seeing them live in the early 90s as small venues.

i think this is one of their better tracks. the breakdown at 7:24 where the beats and bass kind of sound like they are going backwards is one of my favorite things they've done

this jam off their new ablum is so good and really show cases danny's drumming which is amazing

and then going back to their second and most popular album, this song to me is pretty amazing and maybe it's my lack of exposure to bands like nurossis at the time that it came out but it was pretty unique sound to me and all my friends in college and i still feel that it was progressive for it's time and considering that it was released on an album that had so many hits that dominated the airways and MTV makes it more impressive to me.
Well I’m hyped they’ve done their thing regardless of what fans wanted. Maynard seems like a put together person where as you said he’s usually in the background while his band rips.

I have and listened to their music time and time again and for me the less I know about a band the better I feel, not that your opinions aren’t valid. I like the idea of music nerdy talk about opposing music.
Dueces Bitch's

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #242 on: February 07, 2021, 11:19:00 PM »
I find Joy Division boring, Tool doesn't really do anything for me either but I really like this track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmJYZ1NIn1Y
prison sex is pretty cool too!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Grind King Rims

« Reply #243 on: February 08, 2021, 05:10:56 AM »
I fucking love Coldplay. I have their lyrics tattooed on my ribs.

I think Coldplay became the go-to band to shit on after 40 Year Old Virgin and just because they're not a Rock band, really, but I think they're great and they have been for years.

What lyrics do you have tattoo'd on you?

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #244 on: February 08, 2021, 06:46:59 AM »
i feel like this thread is the kind of place one is encouraged/tempted to speak in superlatives...

...for instance, this might be THE loveliest song of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2aBn-QuPVw

side note--everyone thought that Dinosaur Jr's crazy cover of this was a dig at The Cure, but turns out J Mascis also thinks this is one of the most beautiful songs of all time, and that's why he covered it.

and since we're talking about Robert Smith, look how young and adorable he is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5jmB4xgNWw

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #245 on: February 08, 2021, 07:39:42 AM »
i feel like this thread is the kind of place one is encouraged/tempted to speak in superlatives...

side note--everyone thought that Dinosaur Jr's crazy cover of this was a dig at The Cure, but turns out J Mascis also thinks this is one of the most beautiful songs of all time, and that's why he covered it.

Wow, that's interesting. I love their cover and I love the original. I actually have a 7 inch that has both versions on each side.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #246 on: February 08, 2021, 09:12:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wow, that's interesting. I love their cover and I love the original. I actually have a 7 inch that has both versions on each side.

i had no idea they made a split 7" with each version on a side:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Cure-Dinosaur-Jr-Just-Like-Heaven/release/5605934

that's incredible...i had the Dinosaur Jr 7" of "Just Like Heaven" long ago, but--like most of my vinyl--throughout my years of transience, i have no idea where it is and/or if i sold it at one point.

i did manage to hang on to this priceless gem, which i believe was the version of "The Wagon" used in G&S Footage, since this came out a bit before Green Mind

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #247 on: February 08, 2021, 10:13:25 AM »
This might ruffle some feathers a bit but I actually prefer this version of a David Bowie cover as opposed to the original.
https://youtu.be/rhJZrRV5YKo
https://youtu.be/3qrOvBuWJ-c
Dueces Bitch's

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #248 on: February 09, 2021, 02:51:03 AM »
Man I know it’s the unpopular music thread but if you peasants had seen queen on YouTube when they played Wembley then they wouldn’t be on this list
That’s a fucken concert, man

Meatloaf too, I think he comes across the wrong way

Bat out of hell is high art. Him and his mate spent years trying to pitch it for the coin and cunts laughed em out of their offices, called em fuckwits and what have you, absolute disrespect but those two
held their nerve. I dunno, I feel like if you ever saw a musical and liked it you’d get where they were coming from

They should make a movie about that album, deadset
listen to cosmic psychos

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #249 on: February 09, 2021, 05:51:01 AM »
I listened to Sublime’s 40 oz to Freedom for the first time in ten years recently, and was surprised how good it sounded.

It’s REALLY good.

Now I’m not jaded from US top 40 radio or Sublime fans, I don’t live in North America anymore, so the album no longer brings up negative associations. So just the music, on its own, links all those different genres really, really well.

And KRS-One will always be a great song.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #250 on: February 09, 2021, 06:35:47 AM »
I listened to Sublime’s 40 oz to Freedom for the first time in ten years recently, and was surprised how good it sounded.

It’s REALLY good.

Now I’m not jaded from US top 40 radio or Sublime fans, I don’t live in North America anymore, so the album no longer brings up negative associations. So just the music, on its own, links all those different genres really, really well.

I spent the Summer of 97 in PB, San Diego and there was a tex mex joint on Garnett (or was it Balboa) where I used to eat my Quesadillas. They had a jukebox but the only good songs were Caress Me Down by Sublime and Legalize it by Peter Tosh so I always listened to these songs while enjoying my Quesadillas. Hence this song will always remind me of those carefree days before or after a surf session at Mission Beach in the Summer of 97 in that tex mex joint on Garnett (or was it Balboa). I realise that's cheesy but then I was talking Quesadillas so it kind of makes sense, doesn't it?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #251 on: February 09, 2021, 07:01:30 AM »
Expand Quote

It’s REALLY good.

[close]

I spent the Summer of 97 in PB, San Diego and there was a tex mex joint on Garnett (or was it Balboa) where I used to eat my Quesadillas. They had a jukebox but the only good songs were Caress Me Down by Sublime and Legalize it by Peter Tosh so I always listened to these songs while enjoying my Quesadillas. Hence this song will always remind me of those carefree days before or after a surf session at Mission Beach in the Summer of 97 in that tex mex joint on Garnett (or was it Balboa). I realise that's cheesy but then I was talking Quesadillas so it kind of makes sense, doesn't it?

that's pretty awesome

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #252 on: February 09, 2021, 04:56:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Few notes

Edit:

[close]

[close]

[close]
Well I’m hyped they’ve done their thing regardless of what fans wanted. Maynard seems like a put together person where as you said he’s usually in the background while his band rips.

I have and listened to their music time and time again and for me the less I know about a band the better I feel, not that your opinions aren’t valid. I like the idea of music nerdy talk about opposing music.

so i've been listening to nurosis non-stop. i took the time to compare their output in 93 to tools and i think you are right they seemed a bit ahead of them and definitely missed out on a lot of shine. i'm not sure how no one i hung around with at the time was into them. i new one guy who rocked their shirt but i though it was some 70s band. going to dive into some of those other bands you mentioned too. good shit, thanks!

For the cure this is probably one of my favorite tracks. They are definitely a top 10 band for me. Love that track but have you heard this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxXwZ0H1oj0

Actually there are so many underrated lovey songs in their catalog

This might ruffle some feathers a bit but I actually prefer this version of a David Bowie cover as opposed to the original.

100% agree. that song still gets me hyped. This ones pretty epic too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRFZK58DXfU

And then if your going to talk about Bauhaus you may as well throw out some skinny puppy. Feel they deserved more shine than they got, some great songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5ulj3tut3o

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #253 on: February 09, 2021, 08:18:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Few notes

Edit:

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

so i've been listening to nurosis non-stop. i took the time to compare their output in 93 to tools and i think you are right they seemed a bit ahead of them and definitely missed out on a lot of shine. i'm not sure how no one i hung around with at the time was into them. i new one guy who rocked their shirt but i though it was some 70s band. going to dive into some of those other bands you mentioned too. good shit, thanks!

Expand Quote

[close]

For the cure this is probably one of my favorite tracks. They are definitely a top 10 band for me. Love that track but have you heard this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxXwZ0H1oj0

Actually there are so many underrated lovey songs in their catalog

Expand Quote
[close]

100% agree. that song still gets me hyped. This ones pretty epic too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRFZK58DXfU

And then if your going to talk about Bauhaus you may as well throw out some skinny puppy. Feel they deserved more shine than they got, some great songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5ulj3tut3o
Yeah just keep going they started out as hardcore crust band,

Pain of Mind,  Through Silver in Blood, Tribes of Neurot and so on. Bewarned this is a good deep rabbithole you're going down. When one listens to a Neurosis album it's not one or two song's it is all the way through.

Bauhaus has also been my go to but I've recently getting in to darkwave and W∆T¢H H@v$3 weird witch house but it's odd to some.
Dueces Bitch's

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #254 on: February 10, 2021, 03:48:19 AM »
i'm pretty excited for this neurosis rabbit hole. i'm checking out souls at zero now. i saw some guy online say it's still one of his favorite albums and it came out in 92 which makes it really interesting to me as a lot of my favorite albums dropped around then so i wanted to check out this one that i apparently missed.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #255 on: February 10, 2021, 06:14:44 AM »
I went to see Neurosis play in the early 90s in an unfinished Autobahn tunnel in Stuttgart (die Roehre). There were a lot of Crust punks indeed. It was really loud  ;D
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #256 on: February 10, 2021, 11:19:51 AM »
Expand Quote
admittedly, i just skimmed through this conversation on "Nu Metal," because when i see bands like TOOL, "Rage" (bro), and Korn being mentioned, i throw up in my mouth a little and know that this is not a conversation for me.

but, i do remember digging Helmet's first couple of albums--especially Meantime--and later on down the line, always assumed bands like the above listened to too much Helmet at some points

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWwhdINdMs8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP657058PbQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezpJCYBIDCM
[close]

Good call... I felt like when Meantime came out and ‘Unsung’ was on MTV, people started cutting their hair and rocking chain wallets and cargo shorts.  I dig Helmet, btw... but that’s a good starting point.

A big thing in the creation Nu-Metal was the Judgement Night soundtrack... which was the first time I remember hip hop and metal/rock combining.  There were a few collabs prior (Anthrax and Public Enemy), but that seemed to kick off a genre.

I think you could throw Pantera in there too... they started that whole ‘groove metal’ thing.  Maybe when White Zombie went metal, too.

That was a great soundtrack.

What about this song?

http://youtu.be/4B_UYYPb-Gk

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #257 on: February 10, 2021, 12:37:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
admittedly, i just skimmed through this conversation on "Nu Metal," because when i see bands like TOOL, "Rage" (bro), and Korn being mentioned, i throw up in my mouth a little and know that this is not a conversation for me.

but, i do remember digging Helmet's first couple of albums--especially Meantime--and later on down the line, always assumed bands like the above listened to too much Helmet at some points

[close]

Good call... I felt like when Meantime came out and ‘Unsung’ was on MTV, people started cutting their hair and rocking chain wallets and cargo shorts.  I dig Helmet, btw... but that’s a good starting point.

A big thing in the creation Nu-Metal was the Judgement Night soundtrack... which was the first time I remember hip hop and metal/rock combining.  There were a few collabs prior (Anthrax and Public Enemy), but that seemed to kick off a genre.

I think you could throw Pantera in there too... they started that whole ‘groove metal’ thing.  Maybe when White Zombie went metal, too.
[close]

What about this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d2ABH64-Dw
One would also include this a progenitor as a closer comparison
Dueces Bitch's

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #258 on: February 10, 2021, 12:39:58 PM »

It’s REALLY good.

Sublime got blown up and out with US popular radio, but you're totally right about how they linked genres together. On top of it they were all ugly, fucked up socal scum bag punkers. good shit

If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #259 on: February 11, 2021, 06:44:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What about this song?

[close]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d2ABH64-Dw
One would also include this a progenitor as a closer comparison

at the time who would have thought that combining PE and thrash metal could have such a disastrous outcome

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #260 on: February 11, 2021, 07:23:27 AM »
hey Sleazy, yes i had heard "Catch" by the Cure and i do dig it, although i'm not sure about it comparing to "Just Like Heaven"...maybe...you are right though, and there is quite a lot of loveliness in the Cure's catalogue--like these are both "very sparkly" in their own ways:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOlZtpANa0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdURsH1VjHo

i dig the conversation regarding the Bauhaus' cover of "Ziggy Stardust"...not sure i could go so far as to say it beats the original...i don't know though, it is really good...hah, funny enough, it is making me think of something i once heard regarding the AK platform (as in "AK47") of guns (sorry if this analogy loses some of you good people). Jim Fuller is one of the only American manufacturers to really perfect manufacturing AKs and AK variants, and he once said that the AK is used ubiquitously around the world because, it is such an incredible platform, that even when it is made in a really shitty way, it still works...

...that came to mind when thinking about people covering the song "Ziggy Stardust"--a band like Bauhaus could hardly fuck up such a fundamentally incredible song...

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #261 on: February 11, 2021, 07:53:46 PM »

It’s REALLY good.

I never really took that album out of rotation to be honest, their other stuff maybe, but it was always a great mix.
I even like the track with Gwen and I fucking hate no doubt so that's really saying something. On paper it looks kinda cheesy but I think they really had their own niche at the time and album really represents that!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #262 on: February 13, 2021, 09:21:49 PM »
not really an unpopular opinion - but just chiming in on bauhaus doing great covers - their version of telegram sam is incredible and i wouldn't have ever really expected anyone to do t-rex better than t-rex. repeating an unpopular opinion i've already made in here - honestly david bowie is kind of boring {he's not bad - but he falls flat for me} and it's not hard to imagine people doing his songs better than he did. 
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #263 on: February 14, 2021, 04:00:19 AM »
The Specials were basically a cover band
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #264 on: February 14, 2021, 05:40:44 AM »
The Specials were basically a cover band

this is not untrue...and what a cover band they were...case in point, i love this "Skinhead Symphony," especially when some people are being thugs in the audience and Terry throws his tambourine (of all things) at the guy to get him to stop...how adorable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R4ecjpUn50

nah, but seriously though, i know i put the Dance Craze version of it up on the first page of this thread, but their version of "Concrete Jungle" is actually pretty fucking gnarly. as a young American in the 1980s, its talk of the National Front was the first reason i had to learn about those wanna-be fascist dogs.

"I'm going out tonight
I don't know if I'll be alright
Everyone wants to hurt me
Baby danger in the city

I have to carry a knife
Because there's people threatening my life
I can't dress just the way I want
I'm being chased by the National Front

Concrete jungle, animals are after me
Concrete jungle, it ain't safe on the streets
Concrete jungle, glad I got my mates with me"

fuck it, i'll put it up again--a heavy fucking performance in my humble opinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8qh63nu1OQ

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #265 on: February 24, 2021, 09:10:13 AM »
Daft Punk ending things had me going down a rabbit hole. I still stand by my feelings that Discovery is their only great album, Homework is good with flaws, and everything else is kinda whatever...

But I did rewatch the stronger video with Daft Punk and Kanye. I must say this...Anime/Japanese Hypebeast Kanye was the best Kanye by far. He was making some really fun shit during that era.

Not sure if that’s an unpopular opinion but fuck it.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
« Reply #266 on: February 24, 2021, 01:17:43 PM »
Expand Quote

It’s REALLY good.

[close]
I never really took that album out of rotation to be honest, their other stuff maybe, but it was always a great mix.
I even like the track with Gwen and I fucking hate no doubt so that's really saying something. On paper it looks kinda cheesy but I think they really had their own niche at the time and album really represents that!

you talking about Robbin the Hood. Saw Red with Gwen is on that album. It's their grittiest record by far. straight secret tweeker pad status.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #267 on: February 24, 2021, 07:57:31 PM »
The songs on the spotify sad music playlist aren't sad enough.
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #268 on: February 24, 2021, 09:15:00 PM »
not really an unpopular opinion - but just chiming in on bauhaus doing great covers - their version of telegram sam is incredible and i wouldn't have ever really expected anyone to do t-rex better than t-rex. repeating an unpopular opinion i've already made in here - honestly david bowie is kind of boring {he's not bad - but he falls flat for me} and it's not hard to imagine people doing his songs better than he did.
bowie’s music always feels like he’s trying to be someone else. let’s dance is the only thing that feels uniquely his, and it bangs, but yeah every other bowie moment feels like someone else could do it better bc someone did it better before him and he just made it weird or androgynous or whatever

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #269 on: February 25, 2021, 02:19:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
bowie’s music always feels like he’s trying to be someone else. let’s dance is the only thing that feels uniquely his, and it bangs, but yeah every other bowie moment feels like someone else could do it better bc someone did it better before him and he just made it weird or androgynous or whatever

yeah he's certainly not the god of uniquity to me.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice