Author Topic: unpopular opinions thread - music edition  (Read 24594 times)

Vinz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -11
  • bam margera biggest fan
Re: unpopular opinions thread - music edition
« Reply #270 on: February 25, 2021, 12:09:42 PM »
U2 is the most overrated band ever

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #271 on: February 25, 2021, 03:45:22 PM »

Actually they’re so overrated that the backlash kinda makes them underrated. Like 50 cent or Diplo.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #272 on: February 26, 2021, 01:49:06 AM »
Maybe it’s all this rack but I’m backing like a prayer
listen to cosmic psychos

Vinz

« Reply #273 on: February 26, 2021, 08:04:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Actually they’re so overrated that the backlash kinda makes them underrated. Like 50 cent or Diplo.
people think that diplo makes good music?

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #274 on: February 26, 2021, 10:18:06 AM »
This one is tough for me because of how much I love discharge, but the buzzcocks wrote the first dbeat song.

https://youtu.be/hHfG52BRRBY
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #275 on: February 26, 2021, 06:28:30 PM »

Like a prayer is off the hook regardless of rack.

The little bit of guitar at the start before the closing door sound is Prince, the 12 inch version has a Prince solo in it too. Other promo versions and dub mixes feature sneaky little uncredited Prince samples too. Even with out Prince, it's still great. Did it get used in an RDS video somewhere along the line?

Oh, and here's one that no one in Australia seems to like to hear; Dire Straits are terrible, Mark Knopfler is boring and Sultans of Swing is just a top ten shit song. Also, fuck the Eagles, and while I'm thinking about things Australians don't like to hear you say {not sure if the rest of the world even knows this ghastly song} but I would love to never hear Eagle Rock by Daddy Cool again - but I don't like my chances. Sorry if that bums you out Matty C.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #276 on: February 26, 2021, 06:52:28 PM »
Oh, and here's one that no one in Australia seems to like to hear; Dire Straits are terrible, Mark Knopfler is boring and Sultans of Swing is just a top ten shit song. Also, fuck the Eagles
!!!

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #277 on: February 27, 2021, 12:26:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Oh, and here's one that no one in Australia seems to like to hear; Dire Straits are terrible, Mark Knopfler is boring and Sultans of Swing is just a top ten shit song. Also, fuck the Eagles
[close]
!!!

unless everyone you know is over 50 this is not an unpopular opinion. 

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #278 on: February 27, 2021, 02:25:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
!!!
[close]

Are you Australian?

WobbleHeadBob

« Reply #279 on: February 27, 2021, 10:41:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
!!!
[close]

[close]

Are you Australian?

Nah man, Im Scottish & everyone i know seems to fuckin hate the Eagles.. i kinda like em but i am definitely in the minority up here

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #280 on: February 27, 2021, 02:23:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Like a prayer is off the hook regardless of rack.

The little bit of guitar at the start before the closing door sound is Prince, the 12 inch version has a Prince solo in it too. Other promo versions and dub mixes feature sneaky little uncredited Prince samples too. Even with out Prince, it's still great. Did it get used in an RDS video somewhere along the line?

Oh, and here's one that no one in Australia seems to like to hear; Dire Straits are terrible, Mark Knopfler is boring and Sultans of Swing is just a top ten shit song. Also, fuck the Eagles, and while I'm thinking about things Australians don't like to hear you say {not sure if the rest of the world even knows this ghastly song} but I would love to never hear Eagle Rock by Daddy Cool again - but I don't like my chances. Sorry if that bums you out Matty C.
the story about steely dan making him record a guitar solo for like 10 straight hours largely because they were jealous of him is so fucking funny that it makes him, as a public figure, worth it

and_so_uh_yeah

« Reply #281 on: February 27, 2021, 04:30:41 PM »
Rancid has some awesome songs. Their lyrics and musicianship are excellent. Rancid 2000 is probably their best album. "Let Me go" "Black Derby Jacket" "Lock, Step, & Gone" "Quite Alright" "Brad Logan" "1998" "Bloodclot" "Black and Blue" excellent songs.

Grimple is worth a listen.

The Clash is great as well. "Complete Control" "Janie Jones" "Straight to Hell" "Lost in the Supermarket" "Safe European Home" "Clampdown" all great.

I like the Sex Pistols because they were poor and barely knew how to play when they started. Johnny Rotten is a character with some great quotes. "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" He was hilarious in Sorry.

Kanye's "Ghost Town parts 1 and 2" is a good song. It's about Kanye's mental health struggles. that being said, much of his music does nothing for me. mumble rap sucks. I'm going to listen to Bone Thugs, Andre Nickatina, or MF Doom (RIP) instead.

Anyone like Dropkick Murphys, Bouncing Souls?

Slayer, Suicidal Tendencies, DRI all boring.

as far as 70's and 80's post/punk goes, Rudimentary Peni, The Adverts, Husker Du, Blitz, Wire, Subhumans, Buzzcocks, Joy Division, The Cure, Gang of Four all fire.

anyone like Burzum? Sleep? Mayhem (those dudes were fucked)?

guilty pleasure Chumbawamba Tubthumper album.

Also like Neutral Milk Hotel, Fleet Foxes (father john misty is lame af)

Velvet Underground all albums, excellent.

but this is just like my opinion man.

ps: Free Britney
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 06:38:09 PM by and_so_uh_yeah »

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #282 on: February 27, 2021, 05:43:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
!!!
[close]

[close]

Are you Australian?
[close]

Nah man, Im Scottish & everyone i know seems to fuckin hate the Eagles.. i kinda like em but i am definitely in the minority up here

Well, I wish I could tap into my Scottish ancestry and not be Australian just to remove the Eagles from my life. Everyone here seems to love them {well under 50 year olds too!}

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #283 on: February 27, 2021, 07:53:17 PM »
Haha nah that song sucks mate, I can’t stand the eagles either my dad used to blast them and travelling wilburys on road trips but he only had like the one tape of each band, hell of a thing to do in a car

I didn’t know that about the Madonna song, that’s sick. Prince has some good ones for sure
listen to cosmic psychos

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #284 on: February 27, 2021, 10:49:14 PM »
Well, I wish I could tap into my Scottish ancestry and not be Australian just to remove the Eagles from my life. Everyone here seems to love them {well under 50 year olds too!}

I'm Australian, and have not noticed this at all. The Eagles are fucken shit.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #285 on: February 27, 2021, 11:09:14 PM »
Well then, I hope I'm wrong. Maybe it's a regional thing - maybe I need to leave the north coast.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #286 on: February 27, 2021, 11:34:24 PM »

This is a very weird question.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

and_so_uh_yeah

« Reply #287 on: February 28, 2021, 12:34:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
This is a very weird question.

lol those mayhem dudes were fucked. obsessed with death and all. the suicide of dead and euronymous taking his picture. then varg murdering euronymous. a fucked situation. the music is interesting. i dunno why i threw sleep in between.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #288 on: February 28, 2021, 07:27:04 AM »

oi! i not only like this song, but i actually like this particular performance of this song...doves and everything...shit makes me want to run a lap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lftmtlPxS1c

ps: Vinz

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #289 on: February 28, 2021, 02:14:26 PM »
the Darkness were a great band and this song fucking rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoHBZPOGU2g

Catchy. This is the first time i've heard another song from them besides the one that goes like

"I believe in olympic cola..
 Just liisgten to the river from the harr
.... . . . ....... . . .. ........
.... . . .. ... ... .....

I believe in olyyympiic cooOOlaaaaAAA"

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #290 on: February 28, 2021, 06:04:23 PM »
Rancid has some awesome songs. Their lyrics and musicianship are excellent. Rancid 2000 is probably their best album. "Let Me go" "Black Derby Jacket" "Lock, Step, & Gone" "Quite Alright" "Brad Logan" "1998" "Bloodclot" "Black and Blue" excellent songs.

The Clash is great as well. "Complete Control" "Janie Jones" "Straight to Hell" "Lost in the Supermarket" "Safe European Home" "Clampdown" all great.

I like the Sex Pistols because they were poor and barely knew how to play when they started. Johnny Rotten is a character with some great quotes. "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" He was hilarious in Sorry.

Kanye's "Ghost Town parts 1 and 2" is a good song. It's about Kanye's mental health struggles. that being said, much of his music does nothing for me. mumble rap sucks. I'm going to listen to Bone Thugs, Andre Nickatina, or MF Doom (RIP) instead.

as far as 70's and 80's post/punk goes, Rudimentary Peni, The Adverts, Husker Du, Blitz, Wire, Subhumans, Buzzcocks, Joy Division, The Cure, Gang of Four all fire.

Rancid 2000 is good and i can still play most of the album, but Rancid 1993 and AOCTW are what I like. Life Won't Wait in some ways may be the best.

The Clash is phenomenal. Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros killed it as did BAD

Dropkick Murphys were a great Boston band with Mike McClogan on vox. Down hill fast after he left as far as I was concerned. Wtf was up with that military album on gangs all here?
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #291 on: March 01, 2021, 01:51:29 AM »

I would agree that D.R.I are boring - i would agree that suicidal and slayer both became very, very, very boring, but How Will I Laugh Tomorrow is a top ten all-time album for me - Suicidal in perfect form. Seasons In The Abyss would also be a top ten all-time album for me.

Vinz

« Reply #292 on: March 01, 2021, 12:13:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

oi! i not only like this song, but i actually like this particular performance of this song...doves and everything...shit makes me want to run a lap

speaking of performances, If you are paying over $150 to see a live performance it's not worth it.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #293 on: March 01, 2021, 07:42:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
speaking of performances, If you are paying over $150 to see a live performance it's not worth it.
saw the stones in like $2,500 seats (i worked the show and got in for free) and will say that literally no show on earth is worth more than 150 (unless money means nothing to you). that show fully drove that point home. it was literally once in a lifetime stuff for me and i wouldn’t have spent 40 bucks for it

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #294 on: March 01, 2021, 11:55:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I would agree that D.R.I are boring - i would agree that suicidal and slayer both became very, very, very boring, but How Will I Laugh Tomorrow is a top ten all-time album for me - Suicidal in perfect form. Seasons In The Abyss would also be a top ten all-time album for me.

I still bump Rancid's and out come the wolves! and Operation Ivy for that matter!

also Tim Armstrong's first solo record has some hits as well

Brguy

« Reply #295 on: March 02, 2021, 10:26:32 AM »
Country music, at least artistically, isn't nearly as conservative as people think it is.  I mean the two biggest living icons in Country are extremely left.  Also, props to whomever posted Colter Wall, I really dig that guys music.
I've heard this before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTxglw3wtms

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #296 on: March 03, 2021, 10:32:41 AM »
sleaford mods has filled a void left by the fall

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #297 on: March 03, 2021, 02:50:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I definitely think thrash metal D.R.I. are boring... however you'd be hard-pressed to find something as chaotic and rabid as the Dirty Rotten E.P.  One of the best hardcore EP's ever.  Dealing with It isn't bad... after that though, snoozefest. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k88ADl46eok

I dig Rancid.. they are definitely the best of all the late 90's Epitaph bands (not a high bar to clear).  They have great influences and definitely write some great songs.  Sometimes corny, and sometimes waaaay to Clash-rip-offy, but man they can write some street punk anthems (this is from their newest album and it's great):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__WMJusant4

I don't really understand why people hate U2 to such an intense degree... I'm not really fan and don't own any of their albums, but they can write some hits and there's way, WAY worse stuff out there that gets marketed as the 'greatest rock band ever!'.  I guess it could be the over-saturation?  I really don't know, but they aren't as horrible as people claim.

Agreed about the Sleaford Mods.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #298 on: March 03, 2021, 03:52:26 PM »
also agree about Sleaford Mods, I don't get into as much as the fall of course but they got a similar feel.

this song is a jam. makes me want to listen to the fall or the prodigy lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uN3n-NjLHc

WobbleHeadBob

« Reply #299 on: March 05, 2021, 11:58:36 AM »
someone mentioned him so I guess this is my unpopular opinion but fuck Colter Wall. Kid used daddy's money/connections to get in with b-list songwriters and made a corny song about nothing that got play on bad tv shows

interesting..  can you eleaborate on this for a Scotsman who knows nothing about the guy other than his tunes