Author Topic: unpopular opinions thread - music edition  (Read 24573 times)

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: unpopular opinions thread - music edition
« Reply #300 on: March 05, 2021, 04:03:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Rancid has some awesome songs. Their lyrics and musicianship are excellent. Rancid 2000 is probably their best album. "Let Me go" "Black Derby Jacket" "Lock, Step, & Gone" "Quite Alright" "Brad Logan" "1998" "Bloodclot" "Black and Blue" excellent songs.

Grimple is worth a listen.

The Clash is great as well. "Complete Control" "Janie Jones" "Straight to Hell" "Lost in the Supermarket" "Safe European Home" "Clampdown" all great.

I like the Sex Pistols because they were poor and barely knew how to play when they started. Johnny Rotten is a character with some great quotes. "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" He was hilarious in Sorry.

Kanye's "Ghost Town parts 1 and 2" is a good song. It's about Kanye's mental health struggles. that being said, much of his music does nothing for me. mumble rap sucks. I'm going to listen to Bone Thugs, Andre Nickatina, or MF Doom (RIP) instead.

Anyone like Dropkick Murphys, Bouncing Souls?

Slayer, Suicidal Tendencies, DRI all boring.

as far as 70's and 80's post/punk goes, Rudimentary Peni, The Adverts, Husker Du, Blitz, Wire, Subhumans, Buzzcocks, Joy Division, The Cure, Gang of Four all fire.

anyone like Burzum? Sleep? Mayhem (those dudes were fucked)?

guilty pleasure Chumbawamba Tubthumper album.

Also like Neutral Milk Hotel, Fleet Foxes (father john misty is lame af)

Velvet Underground all albums, excellent.

but this is just like my opinion man.

ps: Free Britney
[close]

I would agree that D.R.I are boring - i would agree that suicidal and slayer both became very, very, very boring, but How Will I Laugh Tomorrow is a top ten all-time album for me - Suicidal in perfect form. Seasons In The Abyss would also be a top ten all-time album for me.
[close]

I still bump Rancid's and out come the wolves! and Operation Ivy for that matter!

also Tim Armstrong's first solo record has some hits as well

that album came out early summer 2007, right before my 21 birthday. I was getting tattooed and a dude in the shop was playing wake up and I was pretty stoked on it. I grabbed it and started playing it everywhere I went. I had 2 kickercomp 12s in the trunk of my 5spd 93 eclipse and was in a Mobb Deep/Nas phase, but I was playing a Poets Life all over town haha Couple weeks later, I was at a party with a girl I had been dating for a little over a year and I'd snuck this CD on the stereo to play instead of shitty pop rap and stuff. I'm sitting outside drinking and smoking a J and she comes over and says "We've been together a long time. I deserve a ring." With a poets life as the soundtrack, I said sayonara and soon after hit the road for the first time. That cd got played a lot!
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #301 on: March 07, 2021, 06:09:46 AM »
I don’t really get the big deal about Henry Rollins. He’s not particularly profound, funny, or interesting to me.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #302 on: March 07, 2021, 06:35:19 AM »
I don’t really get the big deal about Henry Rollins. He’s not particularly profound, funny, or interesting to me.
Henry Rollins' never appealed to me same with Rancid I'm just not moved by Tim's voice or Lars bonehead crew. 

Was in Providence for a few years doing show's with and hanging out with Dropdead and The Pist managed to score a interview with Lars when they were playing with Dropkick Murphys.

Did a whole write up for a punk zine afterwards I felt the dude had no patience kept fidgeting around was short about questions really cagey like he didn't have much to say except plugging his album.  Finally I got bummed out and asked if he wasn't feeling it and he sighed and bailed.  Totally trashed the interview and went off the rails with a hate rage article about how he was a cocksucker.
Dueces Bitch's

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #303 on: March 07, 2021, 06:40:11 AM »
ny hip hop is the best
toss up between the south and the west for #2 though

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #304 on: March 07, 2021, 09:42:17 AM »
people are way too forgiving of dropkick murphys and all other cop punk bands

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #305 on: March 07, 2021, 11:22:22 AM »
ny hip hop is the best
toss up between the south and the west for #2 though
East coast and the south are the best than third coast with S.U.C. crew. Big hawk, Pimp C, Fat Pat Texas has a hefty weight for rap music.
Dueces Bitch's

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #306 on: March 07, 2021, 02:29:12 PM »
people are way too forgiving of dropkick murphys and all other cop punk bands

that's what they became, for sure. first couple years they definitely weren't a cop band though

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #307 on: March 07, 2021, 04:24:08 PM »
Bear vs. shark is better than at the drive in.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #308 on: March 07, 2021, 11:46:11 PM »
Sleaford mods are unreal

Good ones are your brave, cunt make it up, Carlton touts, tcr. They’re all good songs, actually
listen to cosmic psychos

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #309 on: March 08, 2021, 07:52:54 AM »
i don't really get the Sleaford Mods thing--i have a friend who loves them and has been sharing songs with me and i'm just not feeling it...funny to say that after just saying something positive about a band like U2 above...oh well.

i figure a bunch of heads in this thread are a bit younger, so this may not be that unpopular, but this is an incredible album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CNyd9zL44s

i loved it earlier on, and tried getting a bunch of my early- to mid-1990s "indie" friends to give it a chance back when and none of them would even try--back when the "Sweater Song" was on the radio all of the time. since then over the years, a bunch of them have told me that they finally gave it a listen and got sucked right into it and loved it...although, to this day, i can't stand that fucking Buddy Holly song...it's like the slow extraction of a tooth.

it is the only album from Weezer that i like--haven't been able to listen to anything else since...

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #310 on: March 08, 2021, 07:56:13 AM »
i'm not really expressing an opinion here, other than to say that i can't really decided which version of this song i love more...i love them both, but i'm sure there are some purists in here who have no doubt about which is superior:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fWw7FE9tTo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nAON-MwUPY

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #311 on: March 08, 2021, 03:16:09 PM »
i don't really get the Sleaford Mods thing--i have a friend who loves them and has been sharing songs with me and i'm just not feeling it...funny to say that after just saying something positive about a band like U2 above...oh well.

i figure a bunch of heads in this thread are a bit younger, so this may not be that unpopular, but this is an incredible album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CNyd9zL44s

i loved it earlier on, and tried getting a bunch of my early- to mid-1990s "indie" friends to give it a chance back when and none of them would even try--back when the "Sweater Song" was on the radio all of the time. since then over the years, a bunch of them have told me that they finally gave it a listen and got sucked right into it and loved it...although, to this day, i can't stand that fucking Buddy Holly song...it's like the slow extraction of a tooth.

it is the only album from Weezer that i like--haven't been able to listen to anything else since...

I used to listen to that record a lot. When my family got our first computer, with Windows 95, it loaded up the Buddy Holly video. I was in 7th grade, probably 96 or 97, just starting to listen to the Misfits, Sex Pistols, and DKs but I totally got into that track. I can't stand any other Weezer albums, but that blue album is a good throwback to my late childhood. Guitar tone is a nice fuzz for sure

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #312 on: March 08, 2021, 03:57:16 PM »
i put the banshees version on A LOT more, but everytime i hear iggy's i'm still blown away by it being such a great song.

one of the few examples of them both being as good as each other, being different, but not wildly different at all, but not a total regurgitation type cover. both so incredible!
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #313 on: March 08, 2021, 06:41:52 PM »
loving this thread, has me listening to music i never gave much of a chance because i just heard hits on MTV and never dug in. listened to rancid today and now checking out weezer's blue and been listening to neurosis for a few weeks now. slap at it's best.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #314 on: March 09, 2021, 06:47:17 AM »
i put the banshees version on A LOT more, but everytime i hear iggy's i'm still blown away by it being such a great song.

one of the few examples of them both being as good as each other, being different, but not wildly different at all, but not a total regurgitation type cover. both so incredible!

same here--i actually wrote the above post because i just finished watching both seasons of Narcos: Mexico (again) and it is perfect how they use it in episode 9 of the second season...so perfect in fact, that someone put that scene up on youtube i see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF8XQxYLIwU

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #315 on: March 09, 2021, 12:34:35 PM »
Elliot Smith sucks butt.
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #316 on: April 04, 2021, 09:09:10 AM »
Against Me is overrated IMO I could listen to reinventing axl rose but anything else is meh...
Dueces Bitch's

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #317 on: April 04, 2021, 09:21:27 AM »
Against Me is overrated IMO I could listen to reinventing axl rose but anything else is meh...

I back this. I can’t listen to anything past as the eternal cowboy. But I will say that shit rules.

aliexpress

• Rep: 0
« Reply #318 on: April 05, 2021, 03:55:17 PM »
my unpopular opinions:

- punk is dead

- I think the sex pistols are bad and gimmicky and most remembered for antics and fashion, plus johnny lydon is a trumper prick now. best stuff to come out of the UK in that era is gang of four and crass. can't go wrong with UK subs either

- it's corny to hate on popular stuff just because it's popular. might even find yourself appreciating some of it if you just chill out

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #319 on: April 05, 2021, 04:42:53 PM »
Almost all shoegaze bands except MBV and Ride are fucking terrible.

my unpopular opinions:

- punk is dead

- I think the sex pistols are bad and gimmicky and most remembered for antics and fashion, plus johnny lydon is a trumper prick now. best stuff to come out of the UK in that era is gang of four and crass. can't go wrong with UK subs either

- it's corny to hate on popular stuff just because it's popular. might even find yourself appreciating some of it if you just chill out

I will never chill out.  Punk is definitely dead, basically like Crass said in that one song.  (BTW, with the exception of a couple songs, Crass absolutely sucks.  Just an utter pigshit, dumb as dirt band that thinks its smart.  I will die on that hill.)  You are also correct about the Sex Pistols, who are useless except possibly as a gateway to better music.

aliexpress

• Rep: 0
« Reply #320 on: April 05, 2021, 05:26:50 PM »
Almost all shoegaze bands except MBV and Ride are fucking terrible.

Expand Quote
my unpopular opinions:

- punk is dead

[close]

I will never chill out.  Punk is definitely dead, basically like Crass said in that one song.  (BTW, with the exception of a couple songs, Crass absolutely sucks.  Just an utter pigshit, dumb as dirt band that thinks its smart.  I will die on that hill.)  You are also correct about the Sex Pistols, who are useless except possibly as a gateway to better music.

don't care what hill you die on bro! at least yer dead!!

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #321 on: April 05, 2021, 07:35:59 PM »
Punk most certainly is not dead, FUCK OFF blasphemers!!!!

Yeah most decent band’s have moved on from their initial inception. Sex Pistols were garbage Crass is not garbage, just my opinions though.

Punk is still around and kicking, maybe the scene sucks where you’ll live but that’s where you do something about it!

Dueces Bitch's

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #322 on: April 05, 2021, 08:08:57 PM »
punk’s not dead, you’re just too old

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #323 on: April 05, 2021, 08:17:38 PM »
I’ve been a huge crass fan for damn near two decades, but conflict is the best band to come out of the crass records camp. But both crass and conflict played massive roles in me becoming/staying an anarchist(syndicalist) for what is now the majority of my life thus far.

Also for anyone that fence rides Crass, listen or relisten to feeding the 5000. That shit will give you goosebumps.

Also, unpopular opinion, articles of faith is one of the most underrated first wave hardcore bands.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #324 on: April 05, 2021, 08:21:07 PM »
Crass were great, I'd like to believe punk is dead but Propagandhi still exists so ...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #325 on: April 05, 2021, 09:44:43 PM »
Crass were the bad kind of anarchist, if I recall. Not syndicalists, but individualist anarchist, which is basically libertarian. Other bands on their label had way better politics and made better music (Zounds is a personal favorite). The first record is half good, but they get successively worse from then on, except for a few good tracks off of Penis Envy.

I’ll explain my opinion regarding the death of punk. Lots of bands play music in the style of punk, and many of them are very good; some are even better than actual first wave punk bands. However, punk isn’t just a style of music—it was a moment in history where things seemed truly up in the air and unsettled, where new possibilities presented themselves in music and beyond. When those possibilities closed off for various reasons, punk died and its remnants splintered into various scenes, which themselves eventually died and splintered. But the music itself still reverberates through bands that interpret that moment of possibility without actually having lived in it.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #326 on: April 06, 2021, 02:14:52 AM »
Bear vs. shark is better than at the drive in.

If Bear Vs. Shark didn't have the stupidest name on earth (and had a name as good as "At the Drive In") they probably could've played much bigger shows. But seeing "Bear Vs. Shark" at the top of a show poster/flyer I'm sure was a huge turn-off for any potential new listeners and also any bookers looking to get people to the show. It's such a dumb name. Sorry.

I love their music though and I think I agree with your post.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #327 on: April 06, 2021, 03:54:36 AM »
Crass were the bad kind of anarchist, if I recall. Not syndicalists, but individualist anarchist, which is basically libertarian. Other bands on their label had way better politics and made better music (Zounds is a personal favorite). The first record is half good, but they get successively worse from then on, except for a few good tracks off of Penis Envy.

I’ll explain my opinion regarding the death of punk. Lots of bands play music in the style of punk, and many of them are very good; some are even better than actual first wave punk bands. However, punk isn’t just a style of music—it was a moment in history where things seemed truly up in the air and unsettled, where new possibilities presented themselves in music and beyond. When those possibilities closed off for various reasons, punk died and its remnants splintered into various scenes, which themselves eventually died and splintered. But the music itself still reverberates through bands that interpret that moment of possibility without actually having lived in it.

They were anarcho pacifists, which is collectivist in nature and hold very similar views to that of anarchist communist and anarcho syndicalists views, but pacifist believe that the general strike is the beginning and the end movements towards classes, post scarcity society. This is in contrast to other libertarian socialist ideals which view the general strike as a crucial step towards classless society, but not the only necessary action.

But, tendencies and the minutia of anarchism aside, the point was that they showed me what was out there, and to a middle class kid that was invigorating.

But there were a tons of amazing bands to come out of crass records that I like more than crass: zounds, omega tribe, flux of pink indians, poison girls, and by extension via Corpus Christi- conflict, rudimentary peni, and crucifix.

Sources- now and after: the abc’s of anarchist communism by berkman 
Revolution and the state: anarchism in the Spanish civil war
Anarchism: a history of libertarian ideas and movements by George woodcock

And me, currently trying to write a book about leftist anti-Bolshevism during the Russian revolution and civil war, concentrating on the Kronstadt rebellion and the Ukrainian free territory

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #328 on: April 06, 2021, 04:39:28 AM »
Weezer is one of the best bands of all time and 9 of their 14 albums are really good.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #329 on: April 06, 2021, 06:17:16 AM »
the conversation about punk rock being alive or dead is one i could truly get lost in here, and don't really have the time. i will say that i'm with Mr. Stinky, in that you can't just talk about it with regards to the music and culture--historical context (social, political, and economic) is part of it too, right? fuck, where would 1980s punk be without the Reagan family shitting all over the country and world?

i was in isolation throughout most of my early years and really had to explore and discover on my own, and i got ahold of a Toxic Shock mailorder catalogue when i was like 10 or 11, and it's funny how the first few orders i made influenced and determined my tastes indelibly (edit: i literally ordered a number of the first EPs and LPs based on their covers)...here is a seriously random sampling of some oldies but goodies that i played nonstop as a young and aspiring iconoclast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm0dLCDLorQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckpros4jW28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f_XH_RB5LU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL4WVOOU77M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K0KaTQRbhA

hey, correspondingly, anybody ever hear this crazy fucking version of "She"? i could listen to this version all day...and how crazy is this all edited to actual footage of Patty Hearst robbing that fucking bank?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lPetHDI7m8