Author Topic: unpopular opinions thread - music edition  (Read 24580 times)

Sila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
Re: unpopular opinions thread - music edition
« Reply #330 on: April 06, 2021, 06:24:13 AM »
Punk most certainly is not dead, FUCK OFF blasphemers!!!!

Yeah most decent band’s have moved on from their initial inception. Sex Pistols were garbage Crass is not garbage, just my opinions though.

Punk is still around and kicking, maybe the scene sucks where you’ll live but that’s where you do something about it!

Yep. All this.

Every year punk produces amazing bands, but mostly it's just music. I find more of the punk ethos these days in some of the smaller D.I.Y. techno and queer scenes and other movements. There's still very close knit anarchist collectives throughout the world. There's still communities claiming space as their own. There's people doing great work in harm-reduction, working with refugees, educating kids in school about consent and gendered violence etc. A lot of people I know that do this work are/or were part of their respective local punk scenes. It's not dead by any means, but it's no longer confined to an isolated scene.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #331 on: April 06, 2021, 11:54:41 AM »
"punk is dead" is some dumb boomer shit. It's only gotten better.

aliexpress

• Rep: 0
« Reply #332 on: April 06, 2021, 11:57:14 AM »
Idk man the sooner you all understand that a lot of punk ethos was actually just disgruntled weirdos wanting a piece of the capitalist pie and not being willing to put on a suit/make arena rock for it, not anyone who was actually a radical or a freedom fighter, the easier it will be for yall to admit it is dead and gone...

Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of new stuff and I think a lot of bands are doing great things with the original sound and repurposing the original vibe... but how long are we going to drag the 1980s on for? Very few of these new bands used their music to speak out against Trump the same way bands in the 80s spoke out against Reagan. So what's the actual purpose now? Nobody's really taking shit to the extreme anymore, a lot of it is cosmetic.

Also I'm 25. lol

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #333 on: April 06, 2021, 11:59:36 AM »
People still play punk music, and much of it is very good; no one says otherwise. The point is that the things that made punk what it was are no longer specific to punk, if they ever were in the first place (they weren't), and bands that play punk were and are frequently coopted by commercial actors whose entire purpose is essentially to undermine the "punk ethos", however you might define it. It's been that way since 1977, and even before then.  That's what people mean when they say "punk is dead." 

aliexpress

« Reply #334 on: April 06, 2021, 12:10:07 PM »
People still play punk music, and much of it is very good; no one says otherwise. The point is that the things that made punk what it was are no longer specific to punk, if they ever were in the first place (they weren't), and bands that play punk were and are frequently coopted by commercial actors whose entire purpose is essentially to undermine the "punk ethos", however you might define it. It's been that way since 1977, and even before then.  That's what people mean when they say "punk is dead."

I think we're agreeing with each other dude

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #335 on: April 06, 2021, 12:18:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think we're agreeing with each other dude

Yeah, we definitely are.  I'm just trying to set it straight that if you view punk as primarily aesthetic, it's not dead, whereas viewing it in a broader social and political context changes that entirely. 

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #336 on: April 06, 2021, 12:47:45 PM »
Idk man the sooner you all understand that a lot of punk ethos was actually just disgruntled weirdos wanting a piece of the capitalist pie and not being willing to put on a suit/make arena rock for it, not anyone who was actually a radical or a freedom fighter, the easier it will be for yall to admit it is dead and gone...

Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of new stuff and I think a lot of bands are doing great things with the original sound and repurposing the original vibe... but how long are we going to drag the 1980s on for? Very few of these new bands used their music to speak out against Trump the same way bands in the 80s spoke out against Reagan. So what's the actual purpose now? Nobody's really taking shit to the extreme anymore, a lot of it is cosmetic.

Also I'm 25. lol

That's a pretty narrow point of view of what the "punk ethos" is, whatever that means. Do you not believe there are modern bands singing about modern political issues? Because that is downright absurd.

aliexpress

« Reply #337 on: April 06, 2021, 12:59:26 PM »
Expand Quote

Also I'm 25. lol
[close]

That's a pretty narrow point of view of what the "punk ethos" is, whatever that means. Do you not believe there are modern bands singing about modern political issues? Because that is downright absurd.

Nah man I didn't say none, I said only some are, which is true. You gotta admit the urgency to address these issues isn't the same as it was in the Reagan/Thatcher era. I think I've heard a few older guys say that it's because there's no army draft anymore, among other things. It's just not the same! And that's ok. I think someone else in this thread might have said it but, a lot of the stuff punk wants to do is getting done by hip hop and electronic music instead nowadays.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #338 on: April 06, 2021, 01:22:41 PM »
hey, correspondingly, anybody ever hear this crazy fucking version of "She"? i could listen to this version all day...and how crazy is this all edited to actual footage of Patty Hearst robbing that fucking bank?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lPetHDI7m8

@Deputy Wendell  That version of She is the best version, from the Cough/Cool 7". They didn't have a guitarist at the time so Glenn played electric piano through a fuzz pedal. Here is the A side if you haven't heard it. I love it, love how prominent Jerry's bass in in the mix. I fucking love the Misfits but how wild and cool would it have been if they just kept going like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKxOa3ZjPKk

As for my unpopular opinion, that TSOL track you posted above and the whole album it is on are criminally underrated and it smokes just about everything they did with Jack Girsham (aside from Beneath the Shadows). My favorite from that album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppf6RLA4r4k

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #339 on: April 06, 2021, 01:50:24 PM »
Expand Quote
hey, correspondingly, anybody ever hear this crazy fucking version of "She"? i could listen to this version all day...and how crazy is this all edited to actual footage of Patty Hearst robbing that fucking bank?

[close]

@Deputy Wendell  That version of She is the best version, from the Cough/Cool 7". They didn't have a guitarist at the time so Glenn played electric piano through a fuzz pedal. Here is the A side if you haven't heard it. I love it, love how prominent Jerry's bass in in the mix. I fucking love the Misfits but how wild and cool would it have been if they just kept going like this?

As for my unpopular opinion, that TSOL track you posted above and the whole album it is on are criminally underrated and it smokes just about everything they did with Jack Girsham (aside from Beneath the Shadows). My favorite from that album:

cheers Frozen, i had heard both songs and i agree that despite loving the Misfits as is, it would indeed have been "wild and cool" if they had continued on with that set up--how did i not realize there is no guitar until now?

i'm right there with you on Change Today. based off of what you've said in this and other threads, you seem to have a pretty deep knowledge of skate video history, but just in case, Suregrip "Summer Sessions" is one of the reasons this album is especially important to me...this was one of the first videos i actually owned, and i pretty much wore that fucker out from playing it so much...especially the "Terror at Tahoe" part, which--deliciously enough--includes both of the songs you and i have been talking about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Os9JNx4pgs

i love the beginning Del Mar session to "Red Shadows" too!

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #340 on: April 06, 2021, 05:21:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

cheers Frozen, i had heard both songs and i agree that despite loving the Misfits as is, it would indeed have been "wild and cool" if they had continued on with that set up--how did i not realize there is no guitar until now?

i'm right there with you on Change Today. based off of what you've said in this and other threads, you seem to have a pretty deep knowledge of skate video history, but just in case, Suregrip "Summer Sessions" is one of the reasons this album is especially important to me...this was one of the first videos i actually owned, and i pretty much wore that fucker out from playing it so much...especially the "Terror at Tahoe" part, which--deliciously enough--includes both of the songs you and i have been talking about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Os9JNx4pgs

i love the beginning Del Mar session to "Red Shadows" too!
https://youtu.be/d8m1nRzsOJM
Dude TSOL, Sister's of Mercy, Nine Inch Nails, along with Clan of Xymox were in heavy rotation when I was younger.

Before MM became an edgy cringe dork his early albums we're not that bad. 
Dueces Bitch's

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #341 on: April 06, 2021, 05:44:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Also I'm 25. lol
[close]

[close]

Nah man I didn't say none, I said only some are, which is true. You gotta admit the urgency to address these issues isn't the same as it was in the Reagan/Thatcher era. I think I've heard a few older guys say that it's because there's no army draft anymore, among other things. It's just not the same! And that's ok. I think someone else in this thread might have said it but, a lot of the stuff punk wants to do is getting done by hip hop and electronic music instead nowadays.

Not the same and "dead" are very different things.

aliexpress

« Reply #342 on: April 06, 2021, 06:39:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Also I'm 25. lol
[close]

[close]

[close]

They're the same in this context. Like I said the ethos doesn't mean much anymore. google punk ethos if you wanna know what i mean

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #343 on: April 06, 2021, 11:07:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Fuck yes. The first time I heard that version of She I nearly shit my pants. It's amazing. I have a huge soft spot for Flowers by the Door too, as it was on Billabong's Surf into Summer video that came out in '87. One of the first surf vids I ever did see.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #344 on: April 07, 2021, 05:51:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Also I'm 25. lol
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

They're the same in this context. Like I said the ethos doesn't mean much anymore. google punk ethos if you wanna know what i mean

In what context? Because you declared it? Every point you're making is being contradicted. There's no way anybody can pretend you're being close to reasonable.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #345 on: April 07, 2021, 06:21:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Fuck yes. The first time I heard that version of She I nearly shit my pants. It's amazing. I have a huge soft spot for Flowers by the Door too, as it was on Billabong's Surf into Summer video that came out in '87. One of the first surf vids I ever did see.

Psyched to find out that other people like that TSOL record. And that era of the Misfits. Deputy, I haven't seen Summer Sessions before but I am psyched to watch it this weekend.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #346 on: April 07, 2021, 01:30:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Psyched to find out that other people like that TSOL record. And that era of the Misfits. Deputy, I haven't seen Summer Sessions before but I am psyched to watch it this weekend.

i'm glad you're going to check it out Frozen, but be warned, some of the skits between parts are hard to sit through--it was the early 1980s and all....part of the reason my stepdad and i were always beefed out because i wore out a vcr or two because i was rewinding and fastforwarding all of the time...still, plenty of incredible skating edited to TSOL nonetheless, especially the "Terror at Tahoe" segment...

aliexpress

« Reply #347 on: April 07, 2021, 01:57:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Also I'm 25. lol
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

In what context? Because you declared it? Every point you're making is being contradicted. There's no way anybody can pretend you're being close to reasonable.

lol what's getting contradicted? the material conditions of the world are not the same as they were when punk rock was created and eventually faded out as a movement around 1987. the genre can still get made but that doesn't mean the movement itself is still a living, breathing thing. dressing up like it's 1983 doesn't make it 1983. having a band that sounds like saccharine trust doesn't make you saccharine trust... the world the punk movement was created in response to doesn't exist anymore. are we done here

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #348 on: April 07, 2021, 03:14:57 PM »
As long as there is bullshit to rage against, young people will still continue making punk. The economic problems of the 70’s and threat of nuclear war gave us the nihilism that sparked punk.

We now have global warming and capitalism ruining every facet of life. Punk is still living in pockets (especially the queer and scenes in other countries, like Indonesia) and will return at some point.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

aliexpress

« Reply #349 on: April 07, 2021, 04:14:20 PM »
man I told you the opinion was unpopular. proof's in the pudding i s'pose

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #350 on: April 07, 2021, 05:28:26 PM »
nah there's something there. i'd say the same for nu metal too lol there's my unpopular addition

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #351 on: April 07, 2021, 05:56:10 PM »

No, you're just saying things that are kinda dumb under the guise of it being an opinion. Everything you said is no longer happening is happening. "In this context different and dead mean the same thing" is a dumb thing to say. Sorry. Hell, did you Google "punk ethos"? "The punk ethos is primarily made up of beliefs such as non-conformity, anti-authoritarianism, anti-corporatism, a do-it-yourself ethic, anti-consumerist, anti-corporate greed, direct action."

All of those things are happening. Fuck, I personally participate in a lot of those things. There are entire bands, establishments, communes, labels, and collectives doing all of those things. Just because you're not a part of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 06:03:26 PM by pizzafliptofakie »

aliexpress

« Reply #352 on: April 07, 2021, 07:23:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No, you're just saying things that are kinda dumb under the guise of it being an opinion. Everything you said is no longer happening is happening. "In this context different and dead mean the same thing" is a dumb thing to say. Sorry. Hell, did you Google "punk ethos"? "The punk ethos is primarily made up of beliefs such as non-conformity, anti-authoritarianism, anti-corporatism, a do-it-yourself ethic, anti-consumerist, anti-corporate greed, direct action."

All of those things are happening. Fuck, I personally participate in a lot of those things. There are entire bands, establishments, communes, labels, and collectives doing all of those things. Just because you're not a part of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

you're purposefully disregarding the super valid points i'm making because you feel personally attacked, which is cool i guess... i still go to punk shows, i know the genre is still being made and the general thing is still being done. does it carry the same relevancy it did when it was new and was responding to something specific in the culture around it? no lol. it's already been stolen and sold back to you. it's been commodified. and it's a cool thing to be now in the regular world. it isn't dangerous anymore. barely any rock music is. so it's dead, according to my opinion. lol.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #353 on: April 07, 2021, 08:33:31 PM »
the sex pistols were a boy band put together so vivenne westwood could sell clothes. public image was great
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #354 on: April 07, 2021, 08:46:16 PM »
music about specific politicians almost unilaterally sucks

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
« Reply #355 on: April 07, 2021, 08:50:48 PM »

I take it you don’t like first wave hardcore or...
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Diocletian

« Reply #356 on: April 07, 2021, 08:53:47 PM »
I enjoy a specific handful of punk bands but don't really find the overall sound of punk as a genre to be enjoyable. Deathgrind, grindcore, and black metal are where it's at for me. Blast beats are everything.

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #357 on: April 07, 2021, 08:56:40 PM »
the sex pistols were a boy band put together so vivenne westwood could sell clothes. public image was great

Maybe so, but that is a hell of a rock and roll record.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
« Reply #358 on: April 07, 2021, 08:57:13 PM »
I enjoy a specific handful of punk bands but don't really find the overall sound of punk as a genre to be enjoyable. Deathgrind, grindcore, and black metal are where it's at for me. Blast beats are everything.

Those theee genres are all derivative of hardcore punk.

Personally, I find 98% of 77’s punk boring as shit. But once hardcore hit, there was and still is nothing like it.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #359 on: April 08, 2021, 01:42:23 AM »

https://youtu.be/smmkTHk6qC4