Author Topic: unpopular opinions thread - music edition  (Read 24561 times)

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
Re: unpopular opinions thread - music edition
« Reply #360 on: April 08, 2021, 05:31:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
man I told you the opinion was unpopular. proof's in the pudding i s'pose
[close]

No, you're just saying things that are kinda dumb under the guise of it being an opinion. Everything you said is no longer happening is happening. "In this context different and dead mean the same thing" is a dumb thing to say. Sorry. Hell, did you Google "punk ethos"? "The punk ethos is primarily made up of beliefs such as non-conformity, anti-authoritarianism, anti-corporatism, a do-it-yourself ethic, anti-consumerist, anti-corporate greed, direct action."

All of those things are happening. Fuck, I personally participate in a lot of those things. There are entire bands, establishments, communes, labels, and collectives doing all of those things. Just because you're not a part of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
[close]

you're purposefully disregarding the super valid points i'm making because you feel personally attacked, which is cool i guess... i still go to punk shows, i know the genre is still being made and the general thing is still being done. does it carry the same relevancy it did when it was new and was responding to something specific in the culture around it? no lol. it's already been stolen and sold back to you. it's been commodified. and it's a cool thing to be now in the regular world. it isn't dangerous anymore. barely any rock music is. so it's dead, according to my opinion. lol.

What valid points? You keep going back to the 80's as if that's where it ended (or even started, for that matter). You keep saying there's no "urgency or meaning" but there are infinite examples that show otherwise.  You keep saying things about "responding to something specific" as if that isn't happening, and it is. You even said to Google search "punk ethos" (lol), and I did and it contradicted everything you said. You can't just say something stupid and say "it's fine, it's my opinion". It's a stupid thing to do and you shouldn't be surprised that it is being criticized.

aliexpress

• Rep: 0
« Reply #361 on: April 08, 2021, 06:25:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

No, you're just saying things that are kinda dumb under the guise of it being an opinion. Everything you said is no longer happening is happening. "In this context different and dead mean the same thing" is a dumb thing to say. Sorry. Hell, did you Google "punk ethos"? "The punk ethos is primarily made up of beliefs such as non-conformity, anti-authoritarianism, anti-corporatism, a do-it-yourself ethic, anti-consumerist, anti-corporate greed, direct action."

All of those things are happening. Fuck, I personally participate in a lot of those things. There are entire bands, establishments, communes, labels, and collectives doing all of those things. Just because you're not a part of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
[close]

you're purposefully disregarding the super valid points i'm making because you feel personally attacked, which is cool i guess... i still go to punk shows, i know the genre is still being made and the general thing is still being done. does it carry the same relevancy it did when it was new and was responding to something specific in the culture around it? no lol. it's already been stolen and sold back to you. it's been commodified. and it's a cool thing to be now in the regular world. it isn't dangerous anymore. barely any rock music is. so it's dead, according to my opinion. lol.
[close]

What valid points? You keep going back to the 80's as if that's where it ended (or even started, for that matter). You keep saying there's no "urgency or meaning" but there are infinite examples that show otherwise.  You keep saying things about "responding to something specific" as if that isn't happening, and it is. You even said to Google search "punk ethos" (lol), and I did and it contradicted everything you said. You can't just say something stupid and say "it's fine, it's my opinion". It's a stupid thing to do and you shouldn't be surprised that it is being criticized.

you can't just call things stupid because you don't agree with them lol. I'm not the first person to say punk is dead and I for sure won't be the last. I never said punk started in the 80s either. the point is whizzing past your head so i'm gonna gracefully bow out of this discussion now. peace bro

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #362 on: April 08, 2021, 06:38:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

you can't just call things stupid because you don't agree with them lol. I'm not the first person to say punk is dead and I for sure won't be the last. I never said punk started in the 80s either. the point is whizzing past your head so i'm gonna gracefully bow out of this discussion now. peace bro

So what is the point? I keep bringing things up and you're like "uhh, no".

I don't really care what you think about punk but this kinda thing is a pet peeve of mine. Everytime somebody has an "unpopular opinion" it's usually just an ignorant viewpoint with no real logic behind it. Then when that point is criticized they don't back it and just double down on the "opinion" factor of it as if opinions can't be criticized. I'm calling your point stupid because it lacks substance and logic. I'm calling it stupid because you're ignoring every counterpoint being presented to you. I'm calling it stupid because you're changing the definition of objective terms and expecting people to be on board. (Different=dead is fucking dumb). I'm sure from your end it looks like I'm really worked up about punk but in truth posts like yours bother me a lot because it ruins the nuance of other conversations going on in here. There are lots of people in this thread disagreeing with each other while being reasonable. You are not one of those people.

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #363 on: April 08, 2021, 06:54:28 AM »
Every generation has its punk, they form as a reaction to different material conditions.

The labor movement were the anarcho punks

The flappers/suffragettes were the original riot grrrls

The beat movement

The original counter culture movement

77s punk

American Hardcore/Chicago house music

There’s a million examples but saying punk is dead is minimizing the importance of resistance to conditions, and confining it to just one example. I love crass, but they were referring to the death of punk as resistance, and it’s commercialization. Which is ironic because chumbawamba was originally on crass records.

Punk isn’t dead, it’s just different.

Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #364 on: April 08, 2021, 09:09:08 AM »
Every generation has its punk, they form as a reaction to different material conditions.

The beat movement

77s punk

There’s a million examples but saying punk is dead is minimizing the importance of resistance to conditions, and confining it to just one example. I love crass, but they were referring to the death of punk as resistance, and it’s commercialization. Which is ironic because chumbawamba was originally on crass records.

This actually proves the whole "punk is dead" point.  The labor movement in much of the world has been deradicalized and brought to heel by multinational corporations.  There are no flappers in 2021.  The beat movement was a flash in the pan.  The Chicago house scene is mostly felt in terms of its influence in other forms of music and its radical roots in queer culture are largely unknown to most people who appreciate the music it influenced.  First-wave punk was subsumed and commodified by major labels as "new wave", leading to the post-punk and hardcore scenes, which were largely critical of first-wave punk from an ideological standpoint.  Modern day "77 punk" pantomimes an era that had already passed before most of its participants were even born, which is the sort of cheap nostalgia punk rock rebelled against in the first place. 

The so-called "punk ethos" was never specific to punk and in fact demonstrably predates punk, so defining all of those social phenomena in relation to punk reflects an aesthetic preference for punk rock more than it does the (illusory) reality of a living punk movement.  Punk is dead, if it ever even lived in the first place. 

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #365 on: April 08, 2021, 09:31:31 AM »
Expand Quote

The beat movement

77s punk

[close]

This actually proves the whole "punk is dead" point.  The labor movement in much of the world has been deradicalized and brought to heel by multinational corporations.  There are no flappers in 2021.  The beat movement was a flash in the pan.  The Chicago house scene is mostly felt in terms of its influence in other forms of music and its radical roots in queer culture are largely unknown to most people who appreciate the music it influenced.  First-wave punk was subsumed and commodified by major labels as "new wave", leading to the post-punk and hardcore scenes, which were largely critical of first-wave punk from an ideological standpoint.  Modern day "77 punk" pantomimes an era that had already passed before most of its participants were even born, which is the sort of cheap nostalgia punk rock rebelled against in the first place. 

The so-called "punk ethos" was never specific to punk and in fact demonstrably predates punk, so defining all of those social phenomena in relation to punk reflects an aesthetic preference for punk rock more than it does the (illusory) reality of a living punk movement.  Punk is dead, if it ever even lived in the first place.

I actually agree with this, but I still don't see how that makes punk "dead". "Punk" is so vague and, as we all seem to agree on, is a lot different than it used to be. If your point is that the ethics associated with punk aren't specific to the actual music, then sure, that's true. But that doesn't mean that's not happening. You can make similar points about hip hop: a once countercultural movement that has now largely been commodified by popular media. But that doesn't mean its DIY origins aren't still present, and it certainly doesn't mean it no longer carries relevant social topics. Will it be dead when it is no longer as popular? As long as there are still people pushing it even a micro level, hell no.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #366 on: April 08, 2021, 09:52:59 AM »
Expand Quote

The beat movement

77s punk

[close]

I apologize, I don’t think I was concise on my post. For the sake of conversation I was correlating different radical movements/periods of time to show that it wasn’t a the only instance of rebellion that embraced relatively subversive (for the times) values. Regardless of my opinion on the life and death of punk, I appreciate your post. Would gnar if I could.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #367 on: April 08, 2021, 10:08:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

The beat movement

77s punk

[close]

[close]

I actually agree with this, but I still don't see how that makes punk "dead". "Punk" is so vague and, as we all seem to agree on, is a lot different than it used to be. If your point is that the ethics associated with punk aren't specific to the actual music, then sure, that's true. But that doesn't mean that's not happening. You can make similar points about hip hop: a once countercultural movement that has now largely been commodified by popular media. But that doesn't mean its DIY origins aren't still present, and it certainly doesn't mean it no longer carries relevant social topics. Will it be dead when it is no longer as popular? As long as there are still people pushing it even a micro level, hell no.

I'd answer this by saying that punk rock was not artistically successful in surviving the attempts to mainstream it, whereas hip-hop was very different in that some of the best hip-hop artists also wound up being quite successful, commercially.  (Why is this? Perhaps punk being made by potential "insiders"--white, often middle-class bohemians--who were disposed to accept mainstream approval, as opposed to hip-hop, which was a product of the perpetually marginalized, who rightly mistrusted mainstream culture, has something to do with it.) There are extremely few artistic and commercial successes in punk, if any, to the point that commercial involvement in punk seems to have led to the original scene dying off and giving rise to more uncompromisingly aggressive or experimental music like hardcore and post-punk in an effort to preserve the ideals of free expression and independence that people read into early punk.   

So the "spirit of punk" or whatever might have lived on through those scenes, but only in aesthetically and ideologically distinct forms.  In that way, the comparison between post-punk and punk or hardcore and punk is probably closer to the comparison between punk and 60s counterculture, in that they might have certain affinities, but they're not exactly in continuity with each other.  Nothing that came out of punk really even sounded like early punk for most of the 80s, until there was a sort of revival in the 90s and 00s which has continued and gotten richer to this day, which suggests that it wasn't particularly lively for most of that time.

I apologize, I don’t think I was concise on my post. For the sake of conversation I was correlating different radical movements/periods of time to show that it wasn’t a the only instance of rebellion that embraced relatively subversive (for the times) values. Regardless of my opinion on the life and death of punk, I appreciate your post. Would gnar if I could.

No apologies necessary, dude, and thanks for the kind word.  I'm a huge music and politics dork, so this type of discussion is a lot of fun for me.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #368 on: April 08, 2021, 10:35:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

The beat movement

77s punk

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'd answer this by saying that punk rock was not artistically successful in surviving the attempts to mainstream it, whereas hip-hop was very different in that some of the best hip-hop artists also wound up being quite successful, commercially.  (Why is this? Perhaps punk being made by potential "insiders"--white, often middle-class bohemians--who were disposed to accept mainstream approval, as opposed to hip-hop, which was a product of the perpetually marginalized, who rightly mistrusted mainstream culture, has something to do with it.) There are extremely few artistic and commercial successes in punk, if any, to the point that commercial involvement in punk seems to have led to the original scene dying off and giving rise to more uncompromisingly aggressive or experimental music like hardcore and post-punk in an effort to preserve the ideals of free expression and independence that people read into early punk.   

So the "spirit of punk" or whatever might have lived on through those scenes, but only in aesthetically and ideologically distinct forms.  In that way, the comparison between post-punk and punk or hardcore and punk is probably closer to the comparison between punk and 60s counterculture, in that they might have certain affinities, but they're not exactly in continuity with each other.  Nothing that came out of punk really even sounded like early punk for most of the 80s, until there was a sort of revival in the 90s and 00s which has continued and gotten richer to this day, which suggests that it wasn't particularly lively for most of that time.

Expand Quote
[close]

No apologies necessary, dude, and thanks for the kind word.  I'm a huge music and politics dork, so this type of discussion is a lot of fun for me.

What do you mean by "artistically successful"? Like do you think its commodification (which I would argue could be pinned to Nirvana's Nevermind) had a poor impact on smaller bands/scenes in terms of their actual art? Because the way I see it, for every Hollywood Records throwing truckloads of cash at the hot punk band making their platinum record, there'll always be an Asian Man Records who use their modest platform to put out interesting records and beget action via anti-racist compilations/fundraisers/etc. It may be eclectic and niche, but I think there's always some form of that which will always be around even if it changes drastically.

Also just wanna throw out that even though we're disagreeing, I think you're being reasonable and this is a fun conversation.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #369 on: April 08, 2021, 11:52:06 AM »
As long as there is bullshit to rage against, young people will still continue making punk. The economic problems of the 70’s and threat of nuclear war gave us the nihilism that sparked punk.

We now have global warming and capitalism ruining every facet of life. Punk is still living in pockets (especially the queer and scenes in other countries, like Indonesia) and will return at some point.

I'm half Indonesian. The scene there is awesome and people are really dedicated, it's something special. I miss my buds there big time.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #370 on: April 08, 2021, 01:21:46 PM »

you can't just call things stupid because you don't agree with them lol.
Wrong. I do it all the time.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #371 on: April 08, 2021, 06:17:23 PM »
...just in case it didn't come through loud and clear above:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckpros4jW28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMy-cxFDINM

"better youth organization"

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #372 on: April 09, 2021, 06:05:14 AM »
Punk ethos doesn't necessarily have to be punk music derivative, such as Billy Holiday and Nina Simone and other person's of color who stuck their fingers to the man in an act of defiance to the oppressors.
Dueces Bitch's

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #373 on: April 13, 2021, 07:42:39 AM »
with the exception of a few songs, I can't stand led zeppelin because of Robert Plant's vocals

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #374 on: April 13, 2021, 08:00:20 AM »
with the exception of a few songs, I can't stand led zeppelin because of Robert Plant's vocals

THANK YOU

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #375 on: April 13, 2021, 08:40:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

THANK YOU
https://youtu.be/cY3oGfiJTpI

Fuck Ben Weasel and FUCK LED ZEPPELIN!
Dueces Bitch's

doublesteveburger

« Reply #376 on: April 16, 2021, 06:27:28 PM »
if punk is dead then consider me miles davis

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #377 on: April 17, 2021, 07:50:07 AM »
The damned are the most influential of the 77s punk bands.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #378 on: April 17, 2021, 07:57:18 AM »

copy that! i fucking love the Damned...this has been on repeat a bunch lately

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc0och2Q_zg

but so has this too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7C-rzI0cy0

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #379 on: April 17, 2021, 08:30:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

but so has this too

This guy gets it!

This shit still fires me the fuck up.
End to end, just a perfect record.
https://youtu.be/1hBwEUGoi48

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #380 on: April 17, 2021, 08:36:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

but so has this too

[close]

This guy gets it!

Damned Damned Damned is definitely the best of the UK 77 pack..

This single came out before Never Mind the Bollocks, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPowvspa4BI

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #381 on: April 18, 2021, 01:30:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

but so has this too

[close]

This guy gets it!

[close]

now were talkin! fuckin great band

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #382 on: April 18, 2021, 05:28:45 AM »
https://youtu.be/OAvy4HtAkjY
I love pub rock, these guys just get me.
Dueces Bitch's

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #383 on: April 18, 2021, 05:41:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

but so has this too

[close]

This guy gets it!

[close]

[close]

now were talkin! fuckin great band
I mean whoever really put the sex pistols in the annals of "punk history"  is a fucking toolbag with rocks for brains. 

So what you had been touted as the new fad, it was a joke at best. alongside with Sid Vicious he could've had a great career maybe with another outfit but then again he was stupid as fuck too.

There's so many better bands that had come out beforehand and right alongside their Bollocks album.

In no way is this list of accurate of SP albums release but I can list a fuckload of better bands that came out either beforehand or at the time.

The Damned
Dead Boys
The Exploited
Cocksparrer
The Business
Clash
Zounds
Flux Of Pink Indians
The Mob

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 02:37:39 PM by El Fapinator »
Dueces Bitch's

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #384 on: April 18, 2021, 01:08:09 PM »
Joe Strummer sez "In fact, punk rock means EXEMPLARY MANNERS TO YOUR FELLOW HUMAN BEING. Fuck being an asshole, what you pricks thought it was twenty years ago. It's totally just dawned on me. These interviews are good because it makes you think. 'Cause otherwise you go to sleep and watch the Rider's Cup or something."
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #385 on: May 05, 2021, 08:48:19 AM »
Embryonic is the Flaming Lips' masterpiece.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #386 on: May 07, 2021, 04:07:58 AM »

i have a very distinct memory of being like 9 or 10 and hearing Led Zeppelin for the first time and being super into almost all of the songs until he would start singing and then just thinking it was total shit and that he was ruining everything.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

doublesteveburger

« Reply #387 on: July 02, 2021, 07:17:08 AM »
bumping my own thread cause why not bb

I can’t stand the wave of “surf-goth” bands that have gotten popular in the last 5-10 years. The Growlers don’t appeal to me at all.

Can someone fill me in on the appeal?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #388 on: July 02, 2021, 07:42:29 AM »
bumping my own thread cause why not bb

I can’t stand the wave of “surf-goth” bands that have gotten popular in the last 5-10 years. The Growlers don’t appeal to me at all.

Can someone fill me in on the appeal?

yeah it's weird. i always thought the growlers suck. most bands playing this type of music are just super boring and they seem to contrast it with the vague gothness to make it more interesting.

but i like sex church, i think you could call them surf goth.

this is still the best surf-goth track oat to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InpYJv-Pe3U

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #389 on: July 02, 2021, 07:51:07 AM »
The surfy goth stuff doesn't inherently bother me but I've yet to find any that I consider remarkably exciting.