Author Topic: unpopular opinions thread - music edition  (Read 24653 times)

Deputy Wendell

Re: unpopular opinions thread - music edition
« Reply #390 on: July 02, 2021, 08:39:23 AM »
bumping my own thread cause why not bb

I can’t stand the wave of “surf-goth” bands that have gotten popular in the last 5-10 years. The Growlers don’t appeal to me at all.

Can someone fill me in on the appeal?

i had no idea that "surf-goth" is a thing of late. i wonder if this "wave" (no pun intended?) goes back to these guys, who are another band--one way or the other--that i feel like people either love or hate...i dig them, but it could be out of nostalgia too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEntd_aU3aI

i could be completely wrong here, but are The Wipers in this genre?

Glue Reed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #391 on: July 02, 2021, 08:47:54 AM »
Chris Isaak has being doing this for awhile:

http://youtu.be/OIkPvBcbQYI

His stuff is definitely worth a listen if you’ve never checked it out.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #392 on: July 02, 2021, 09:00:53 AM »
Expand Quote

I can’t stand the wave of “surf-goth” bands that have gotten popular in the last 5-10 years. The Growlers don’t appeal to me at all.

[close]

i had no idea that "surf-goth" is a thing of late. i wonder if this "wave" (no pun intended?) goes back to these guys, who are another band--one way or the other--that i feel like people either love or hate...i dig them, but it could be out of nostalgia too...

i think the whole thing has more to do with mixing contradictory vibes and aesthetics than certain bands or waves in genres influencing the sound.

i mean agent orange and wipers had surf influences for sure, but i blame that on territory and/or the fact that they had not as broad a range of genres back then they could be influenced from. as an early punk band you most likely were influenced by fast and rugged rockn roll, glam rock, surf and then stuff like velvet underground or even funk and soul that was played with lots of temp and energy.

to me the surf-goth thing seems like it's mostly done by people who are actually not that much invested in either surf or goth. more like garage-indie rockers having this ironic idea of making music that at first evokes memories of sunny beaches, waves and bad ass surfers, but they turn the dramatic parts into dread and try to infuse it with gloom and apathy. the mental picture to me is a dead beach that has always bad weather, very murky water, kind of like the dogtown ocean park surf spot on a very gloomy day.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #393 on: July 02, 2021, 09:41:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i think the whole thing has more to do with mixing contradictory vibes and aesthetics than certain bands or waves in genres influencing the sound.

i mean agent orange and wipers had surf influences for sure, but i blame that on territory and/or the fact that they had not as broad a range of genres back then they could be influenced from. as an early punk band you most likely were influenced by fast and rugged rockn roll, glam rock, surf and then stuff like velvet underground or even funk and soul that was played with lots of temp and energy.

to me the surf-goth thing seems like it's mostly done by people who are actually not that much invested in either surf or goth. more like garage-indie rockers having this ironic idea of making music that at first evokes memories of sunny beaches, waves and bad ass surfers, but they turn the dramatic parts into dread and try to infuse it with gloom and apathy. the mental picture to me is a dead beach that has always bad weather, very murky water, kind of like the dogtown ocean park surf spot on a very gloomy day.

funny thing reading this--have you ever heard of Further? if you were buying vinyl in the early to mid 1990s, they were in the record bins at points, and they were definitely playing around with a surfy kind of thing...case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xtgrNNVnTc

i dug/dig their lo-fi thing, but my friends mostly thought they were pretty "after the fact" when it came to 1990s "indie" music. i've never taken the time to look up any lyrics, so i don't know if they convey "gloom and apathy," but this one seems to, even if the music does not really

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyJubJYkH0g

this is one of my favorites from them, and it does not seem very gloomy...in fact, it seems "very sparkly"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIOQW2NvJvc

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #394 on: July 02, 2021, 08:46:13 PM »
great post deputy, definetly a good example of the mood i described, but certainly more 90sish in the sense that it still sounds like quirky 90s indie rock to me, sort of like polvo with a surfy vibe, very cool.

i guess the 10s surf rock thing leans more into the repetitive, treble heavy post punk goth guitar sound and straight up mixes it with slowed down surf rythms, which i think is much more derivative and formulaic than creating that mood and associations more freely and then landing into ones own niche of contemporary indie sounds.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #395 on: July 04, 2021, 12:59:25 PM »
Some great links being posted here and it all but confirms my distaste for the current wave of bands emulating (or trying) this sound. It’s been years since I’d listened to Agent Orange so thanks for the reminder up there.

Kinda unrelated but I’ve been in a silly mood musically - any of y’all like The Dickies or Toy Dolls? If you listen to them in the context of having a silly time - they fucking rip.

http://youtu.be/ucLrGZv6z5Q

http://youtu.be/QaYCaaWtrTc

doublesteveburger

« Reply #396 on: October 06, 2021, 10:38:54 AM »
I don’t like Black Sabbath

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #397 on: October 06, 2021, 11:27:55 AM »
I like the toy dolls enough, good fun band. I had a friend in 8th grade that was fucking obsessed with them though. I distinctly remember his mom driving us in her Prius to the mall to watch hitchhikers guide to the galaxy the day it came out and my buddy had burned a cd that was comprised of his favorite tracks from dig that groove baby and a few other records, but each song was on their twice in a row.

My hot take, The Damned are the absolute best first wave punk band and like one of four 77’s bands that I will ever give a fuck about.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #398 on: October 06, 2021, 02:44:33 PM »
I loved the Toy Dolls but only the stuff until 1990.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #399 on: October 06, 2021, 06:50:28 PM »
the beatles. cringe

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #400 on: October 06, 2021, 09:39:53 PM »
i was a big galaxie 500 fan for years and then i realized today that 90% of their songs are really boring to me and i always skip them and other bands did that shit so much better

thebacker

« Reply #401 on: October 07, 2021, 05:58:06 AM »
The red hot chili peppers suck

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #402 on: October 07, 2021, 06:03:28 AM »
I doubt anyone on here is really going to defend them, maybe mothers milk era but even then… pretty pukey

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #403 on: October 07, 2021, 02:24:13 PM »
I think knocked loose and turnstile are trash.

Sorry everyone

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #404 on: October 07, 2021, 03:34:07 PM »
douchey fake chill surfer vibes. frat bros think theyre deep

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #405 on: October 07, 2021, 03:37:07 PM »
I think The Cure sucks, I know it’s an unpopular opinion but I jut don’t like their sappy stuff at all.
Dueces Bitch's

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #406 on: October 07, 2021, 05:14:49 PM »
hardcore just makes me cringe now. bunch of angry bald tough tattooed guys screaming at the top of their lungs about whatever. the cure is kooky too. thats not to say i havent seen them live but that was a lifetime ago back in high school

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #407 on: October 07, 2021, 05:17:47 PM »
I think The Cure sucks, I know it’s an unpopular opinion but I jut don’t like their sappy stuff at all.
Same. Also Morrissey sucks. The Smiths super overrated however I like the song "Big Mouth Strikes Again"

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #408 on: October 07, 2021, 05:21:00 PM »
There are a few bands that are considered popular and cool, but no matter how hard I try to get into them, I just can’t (except maybe for a couple of songs)

Black Flag
The Minutemen
Motorhead
Husker Du
Kool Kieth
Biggie
Dystopia
Amebix
Anything Screamo
Most modern Hardcore
Tegan and Sarah
Pretty much all metal. I just can’t.

Will add more later as I remember
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 05:42:31 PM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
« Reply #409 on: October 08, 2021, 03:26:46 AM »
hardcore just makes me cringe now. bunch of angry bald tough tattooed guys screaming at the top of their lungs about whatever. the cure is kooky too. thats not to say i havent seen them live but that was a lifetime ago back in high school

I've always had difficulty getting into hardcore because of the scene that surrounds it. Buncha meatheads that want to seem more inclusive than they actually are (yes, I know that not every hardcore fan is a jock, but there is an obnoxious surplus of 'em).

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #410 on: October 08, 2021, 07:34:32 AM »
I mean it's perfectly fine and normal to not get into every genre of music or band, but that doesn't automatically mean it sucks? I don't find enjoyment in most genres of electronic music / techno / whatever, but I don't think the people who do are wrong. Maybe that's an unpopular opinion in the context of this thread already?

Sharing the aversion to hardcore as many above. It just feels very simplistic and lacking any nuance to me. I don't know, is Hatebreed consider anywhere near hardcore? I can occasionally get into them a little at a time because it's to upfront and in your face vocals wise, but even then it gets very repetitive fast.

I'm a big Morrissey fan and even recently have been listening to a lot of his stuff but I do admit that the newest records kinda sounds like his off his rocker and the magic fades a bit and you start to think was he actually always just babbling on about nonsense? But in any case I tend to think less negatively and binary about music and other entertainment nowadays, like there's so much of it available that everyone has something to enjoy and the rest you can just leave for the other people.

Even Red Hot Chili Peppers, I read "no one will defend them" and thought sounds about right but then got to thinking about it like sure they've had enough radio play over the decades that I have no interest in ever hearing those popular songs ever again, but just like Guns'n'Roses they used to be cool back in the day and what changed is they got more popular and played out but they were doing their thing and so as a test I picked one of their records at random and looked for a song I didn't recognise to get a fresh view and you know you can probably tell I've had a couple of beers at the office since it's been a tough week at work and now actually everyone else has left already so maybe it doesn't make any sense to sit here alone drinking beer and typing a message to Slap on a Friday night.

I find myself wanting to end messages with a Shalom now more than every and I feel it's a shame that was taken away from us since it became a real positive thing in my eyes.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #411 on: October 08, 2021, 07:58:09 AM »
There are a few bands that are considered popular and cool, but no matter how hard I try to get into them, I just can’t (except maybe for a couple of songs)

Black Flag meathead tough guys
The Minutemen intellectual dipshits with weird mustaches
Motorhead I understand their later stuff
Husker Du never cared for them
Kool Kieth he’s weird but I like it.
Biggie c’mon buddy that’s a no brainer
Dystopia bruv you’re killing me
Amebix the singer is a Holocaust denier
Anything Screamo
Most modern Hardcore
Tegan and Sarah

Made a few notes from my own opinions,  Dystopia is and always be my favorite even if was farting in a mic I like that band the rest are give or take.

For me I hate those bands that just don’t quite get it, they’re in a vein of something good but it’s either too much one way or overtly corny in another way, for example CroMags we’re original and forgo their later work but bands like Hatebreed and anything else is trying to reinvent the wheel and sound even tougher when it’s not necessary.

Also I cannot stand suicidal tendencies something about their delivery is too late, great you wanted a Pepsi niwnfuck off the lot of you!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 09:20:32 AM by El Fapinator »
Dueces Bitch's

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #412 on: October 08, 2021, 05:41:16 PM »
Expand Quote

Anything Screamo
Most modern Hardcore
Tegan and Sarah

[close]
Made a few notes from my own opinions,  Dystopia is and always be my favorite even if was farting in a mic I like that band the rest are give or take.

For me I hate those bands that just don’t quite get it, they’re in a vein of something good but it’s either too much one way or overtly corny in another way, for example CroMags we’re original and forgo their later work but bands like Hatebreed and anything else is trying to reinvent the wheel and sound even tougher when it’s not necessary.

Also I cannot stand suicidal tendencies something about their delivery is too late, great you wanted a Pepsi niwnfuck off the lot of you!

It’s weird to me you would think this about black flag because they’re not meatheads whatsoever… maybe Rollins kinda became one later on during his solo years with his weightlifting and seriousness but he was never a dumb meathead.  Black Flag were mostly scrawny nerdy guys who ended up having this huge meathead scene surround them, but the principal characters (Ginn, Dukowski, Robo, Kira, Dez, Morris) we’re just awkward punk rock weirdos.

I always loved that Greg Ginn’s favorite band was the Grateful Dead.

I don’t understand how anybody can not get into Black Flag or Mot�ad (at least the first 4 albums).

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #413 on: October 08, 2021, 09:00:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Anything Screamo
Most modern Hardcore
Tegan and Sarah

[close]

[close]

It’s weird to me you would think this about black flag because they’re not meatheads whatsoever… maybe Rollins kinda became one later on during his solo years with his weightlifting and seriousness but he was never a dumb meathead.  Black Flag were mostly scrawny nerdy guys who ended up having this huge meathead scene surround them, but the principal characters (Ginn, Dukowski, Robo, Kira, Dez, Morris) we’re just awkward punk rock weirdos.

I always loved that Greg Ginn’s favorite band was the Grateful Dead.

I don’t understand how anybody can not get into Black Flag or Mot�ad (at least the first 4 albums).

I really honestly don’t know why I consider them meathead music I I get like the first four fucking albums were like super good especially Keith Morrison and Dez Cadena.

Just like suicidal and other hard-core bands at the time there is a super fan of the bags that I just don’t like I understand get when I think of like black flag more specifically Henry Rollins I think of cops and having the black flag bars or cops with the misfit skull like that’s what I think of when I think of like those bands.

Cops meat head bands Hatebreed sick of it all I mean let’s let’s be honest how many times can you re-invent a fucking wheel Cro-Mags gangrene agnostic front they all like where the progenitors of those meathead bands yes they have a Lotta good albums specially more specifically the fair first two or three albums but anything after sounds like he’s trying to catch lightning in a bottle fuck that shit

Dueces Bitch's

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #414 on: October 08, 2021, 09:22:42 PM »
I can't really get with Gojira.

GWAR is also very meh to me, being a Richmonder that sounds kinda blasphemous but the music has always just been kinda corny to me.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #415 on: October 08, 2021, 09:24:59 PM »
I under what you’re saying, el fap, and too a degree I’m inclined to agree with you. Most heavy music is just variations of a theme. But through those variations we find shit that sticks out to us.

Like, I know a lot of youth crew dudes that would agree 100% that all youth crew bands are just trying to be youth of today, but some do it better than others, and some do it better than the originators. I’ll never willingly put on youth of today, but I fucking adore chain of strength and judge.

Also, I gotta give you credit because you listed off a lot of guilty pleasure bands of mine, specifically hatebreed and sick of it all.

But don’t sleep on modern hardcore, because they’re is a lot of great shit coming out. In my opinion, I’d rather be catching some of these bands come up now than the ones I got to see when I was growing up. 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #416 on: October 09, 2021, 01:54:08 AM »

Black Flag
The Minutemen
Motorhead
Husker Du
Kool Kieth
Biggie
Dystopia
Amebix
Anything Screamo
Most modern Hardcore
Tegan and Sarah

yes to black flag, amebix, Motorhead, husked du. I don’t really get dystopia either so I know why our musical tastes line up so well.
The only metal music I can do thrash (and a few grind core bands, mostly with more punk roots), I’ve tried to dabble in black metal but I fail to get the appeal in most cases. When I was a teenager I actually thought it was a joke genre…

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #417 on: October 09, 2021, 02:33:09 AM »
Expand Quote

Black Flag
The Minutemen
Motorhead
Husker Du
Kool Kieth
Biggie
Dystopia
Amebix
Anything Screamo
Most modern Hardcore
Tegan and Sarah

[close]
yes to black flag, amebix, Motorhead, husked du. I don’t really get dystopia either so I know why our musical tastes line up so well.
The only metal music I can do thrash (and a few grind core bands, mostly with more punk roots), I’ve tried to dabble in black metal but I fail to get the appeal in most cases. When I was a teenager I actually thought it was a joke genre…

Motorhead were never a metal band, they were a rock n roll band, theyre just really really fuckin loud!
Theres a swing to a lot of their tunes that you dont get in metal.. i agree with you GISM, I hardly ever listen to metal these days, it gets so dull so fast but Motorhead are one of my all time faviurite bands

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #418 on: October 09, 2021, 02:59:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Black Flag
The Minutemen
Motorhead
Husker Du
Kool Kieth
Biggie
Dystopia
Amebix
Anything Screamo
Most modern Hardcore
Tegan and Sarah

[close]
[close]

Motorhead were never a metal band, they were a rock n roll band, theyre just really really fuckin loud!
Theres a swing to a lot of their tunes that you dont get in metal.. i agree with you GISM, I hardly ever listen to metal these days, it gets so dull so fast but Motorhead are one of my all time faviurite bands

In almost all the bands I listed, there are maybe a few songs I like, but not enough to get to dig deeper. Whenever I try (and for some of them I really did), I just don’t vibe with the general aesthetic enough.

Actually, a lot of late Bob Marley too, for that matter. If I listen to reggae, I hardly ever put on Bob.

One weird exception to my tastes is Disrupt.
I generally can’t listen to crust, but something about their melodies… I can’t put my finger on it.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #419 on: October 09, 2021, 05:40:56 AM »
Yeah, I tried so many times with amebix, I should love them but every time I’m just like, hmmm It just doesn’t grab me!
Never really listened to disrupt, may have to check them out. What’s a good entry point?

Swallowing Shit are hands down my fav grind band. Im also not a huge power violence fan but love Spazz, go figure …
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 06:04:14 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »