Author Topic: unpopular opinions thread - music edition  (Read 24576 times)

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
Re: unpopular opinions thread - music edition
« Reply #420 on: October 09, 2021, 06:44:15 AM »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #421 on: October 09, 2021, 07:21:30 AM »
Man… Amebix “Arise” is a flawless album.  Just the dark, apocalyptic vibe is what most crust/UK82 bands go for but don’t come close.  They aren’t really a crust band in ‘sound’ though.  Axe man is such a killer opening song:

http://youtu.be/2QzdubnPPCo

Pretty tarnished by their singers Holocaust denial though. 

Personally, I like hardcore that’s just lightning speed punk rock… fast, snotty and not a trace of metal. 

http://youtu.be/-I8XF1FjzmE

http://youtu.be/LlCSSt8jdN8

http://youtu.be/DH0bXimQqM8

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #422 on: October 09, 2021, 09:30:22 AM »
I love Coldplay

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #423 on: October 09, 2021, 09:32:36 AM »
I listen to Christian metal and rap.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #424 on: October 09, 2021, 10:40:01 AM »
Man… Amebix “Arise” is a flawless album.  Just the dark, apocalyptic vibe is what most crust/UK82 bands go for but don’t come close.  They aren’t really a crust band in ‘sound’ though.  Axe man is such a killer opening song:

http://youtu.be/2QzdubnPPCo

Pretty tarnished by their singers Holocaust denial though. 

Personally, I like hardcore that’s just lightning speed punk rock… fast, snotty and not a trace of metal. 

http://youtu.be/-I8XF1FjzmE

http://youtu.be/LlCSSt8jdN8

http://youtu.be/DH0bXimQqM8
The power remains and Arise were my favorite album’s and still are. When I heard about The Baron being a denier was a deep hurt I felt as that band helped me through a lot of pain as a kid.

I realize over the years the same bands here and there aren’t as poignant and great as they use to be.

Gwar was cool as an angsty kid and their vhs’s were kinda cool but then again so was GG Allin and I look back and roll my eyes 👀 in disgust.

I’ve definitely heard a shit load of bands via traveling and just being right place right time much to my chagrin some of those same band’s I wouldn’t touch them with a ten foot pole.

I really hate Led Zeppelin and those big arena band’s Def Leopard Scorpions pretty much those terrible hair cock rock bands suck ass.

GNR, Motley Crue, Europe, never been a fan of that ilk, I like Judas Priest but but the latter band’s are trash.

So someone mentioned they didn’t understand Dystopia, I’ll try to explain my fascination with them.

They’ve got a great sound of blending sludge doom and crusty metal, the self loathing and depression really resonates with me some of the misanthropy I’ve felt over the years as well is quite resounding in their music.

Some people can agree and some not \__<o-0>__/ it’s not my business to convince others my preference but I would say if you’re not in to the crusty stuff try listening to their self titled album the last one and it’s more death metal than sludge/doom.

Dueces Bitch's

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
« Reply #425 on: October 09, 2021, 02:25:38 PM »
Kim Deal is the second best bassist the Pixies have had.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #426 on: October 11, 2021, 07:22:16 PM »
rap in the last 15 years or so really went to shit. that 1 good joey badass song is the last i remember

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #427 on: October 11, 2021, 09:31:17 PM »
rap in the last 15 years or so really went to shit.
preach!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #428 on: October 11, 2021, 10:43:53 PM »
Y’all are sleeping on some incredible rap
https://youtu.be/v0eeGun4dcs
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #429 on: October 12, 2021, 06:59:39 AM »
I've been listening to punk/ hardcore since... 1985 I think? or 1984? My unpopular opinions are:
-I don't like the Ramones. I've always not liked them. I know they influenced this and that, but they do exactly 0 for me. I even saw them in 1990 I think, because all my buds were so hyped, but I just stood there trying to count how many songs may be left.
-Also not that big on the Clash. There are some songs that I like, but just not into them overall and own 0.
-Not sure if this is a thing or not, but I've seen (online and in real life) that it is "cool" to say Ron Reyes is the best Black Flag singer. I think he was easily the worst. I do think Rollins was the best (Damaged), but the music changed a lot during his tenure. The 1982 demos with him singing are awesome. (also a big fan of Dez singing and Keith Morris too, but Ron I could not stand)
-PiL was a great band. Way more interesting than the Pistols were, although I was a fan.

Again, everyone's different and those are my opinions. I know my distaste of the Ramones has been deemed sacrilege, but what are you gonna do? If you don't like it, you don't like it. I've been in a lot of stupid arguments over the years for that one, usually with the :
"How can you not like the Ramones?"
"Easily" - me

I'm way more into the UK82 style (Exploited, GBH, Discharge, Broken Bones) and old Hardcore punk stuff (Minor Threat, Cro-Mags, old Agnostic Front, Sheer Terror, Circle Jerks, 7 Seconds, Adolescents, old Suicidal) and also the Accused, Septic Death, Napalm Death.. oh and Dystopia also! BUT also.. i love 80s music (Duran Duran, Alphaville, A-Ha, the Smiths etc) and 70s classic rock stuff (Marshall Tucker Band, Skynyrd etc) AND Beethoven as well. Also my favorite band of all time is probably Pink Floyd so there is that too.

JB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #430 on: October 12, 2021, 07:43:10 AM »
Kim Deal is the second best bassist the Pixies have had.

I kinda roll my eyes at people who praise her. Nothing against her at all, but I don't feel like she contributed as much to their sound as some claim. 

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #431 on: October 12, 2021, 08:26:51 AM »
There is literally new music coming out every day, from whatever genre you could imagine and from bands you didn’t yet know you liked.

Debating the merits of 30-40 year old bands and albums seems pretty useless to me unless you are doing an essay about it for your Music History class.

Unpopular opinion? Or should we discuss whether moving to Coral Records was better or worse for Buddy Holly’s sound?
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #432 on: October 12, 2021, 09:15:42 AM »
I back this, for those who are complaining about not finding something new you’ll are not going deep enough there’s always something new you haven’t heard before if you can dig deep in the rabbit hole.

Sure it’s not popular but I’ve heard a great number of underground artists needing their comeup.
Dueces Bitch's

JB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #433 on: October 12, 2021, 09:44:26 AM »
There is literally new music coming out every day, from whatever genre you could imagine and from bands you didn’t yet know you liked.

And it's easier than ever to find and listen to it!

Expand Quote
[close]
preach!

I don't know. I just don't listen to rap, and what I hear isn't what I used to like. Doesn't mean there aren't still plenty of good new rappers out there, I just don't know about them. I could be wrong, but this goes back to the first point.

I feel like I'm too old for rap now. Rap is a young mans genre, and while I can still enjoy the stuff I grew up with (mid 90's-late 00's), I have no interest in finding new rappers. So many things that made rap exciting when I was a teen are things I have absolutely no interest in as a boring mid 30s dude.

Lyrics in general are lost on me. I don't care what you say as long as everything sounds good. Rap to me is the only genre where lyrics matter.

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #434 on: October 12, 2021, 10:10:09 AM »

I love Freddie's production but man he might be the worst rapper to come out of the underground over the past decade.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #435 on: October 12, 2021, 10:49:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
preach!
[close]

I don't know. I just don't listen to rap, and what I hear isn't what I used to like. Doesn't mean there aren't still plenty of good new rappers out there, I just don't know about them. I could be wrong, but this goes back to the first point.

I feel like I'm too old for rap now. Rap is a young mans genre, and while I can still enjoy the stuff I grew up with (mid 90's-late 00's), I have no interest in finding new rappers. So many things that made rap exciting when I was a teen are things I have absolutely no interest in as a boring mid 30s dude.

Lyrics in general are lost on me. I don't care what you say as long as everything sounds good. Rap to me is the only genre where lyrics matter.
I have been very much enjoying RTJ in the recent years, I think they represent something that is different and fresh and current and they can put you in a good head nodding mood and then bum you out on some real shit you needed to hear too. To me they are very mainstream so I imagine everyone would be aware of them but just in case someone doesn't know what I'm talking about I'll link a song below.

But yeah I've fallen of the rap wagon while getting older too, mumble rap and autotune crap and all that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sff7Kc77QAY

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #436 on: October 12, 2021, 10:56:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
preach!
[close]

[close]

But yeah I've fallen of the rap wagon while getting older too, mumble rap and autotune crap and all that.

Well, more precisely the US rap wagon, been paying more attention on local and euro stuff

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #437 on: October 12, 2021, 12:35:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
preach!
[close]

i hear ya

and yep ramones and the clash are pretty cringe. its mostly posers who rock their shirts too

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #438 on: October 12, 2021, 01:30:58 PM »
Probably been said on here already, but New Order is superior to Joy Division. I feel like a lot of younger people recognize this, but it is something I've noticed a lot of old heads get bummed on.

Prefab Sprout is one of the most underrated bands of all time.

Danzig's output outside of The Misfits isn't as good as The Misfits, but The Misfits stuff that Danzig recorded solo is the best Misfits.

Disclose is better than Discharge.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #439 on: October 12, 2021, 03:04:39 PM »
Probably been said on here already, but New Order is superior to Joy Division. I feel like a lot of younger people recognize this, but it is something I've noticed a lot of old heads get bummed on.

Prefab Sprout is one of the most underrated bands of all time.

Danzig's output outside of The Misfits isn't as good as The Misfits, but The Misfits stuff that Danzig recorded solo is the best Misfits.

Disclose is better than Discharge.
I back this, I wouldn’t say New Order is superior to Joy Division but New Order is definitely talented.

Disclose is very much superior to Discharge.
Dueces Bitch's

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #440 on: October 12, 2021, 05:02:53 PM »
ive never jumped on the gbv, pavement, or replacements train.

they just dont do it for me

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #441 on: October 12, 2021, 05:58:27 PM »
Ramones are very meh, I back that one hard!

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #442 on: October 12, 2021, 07:47:06 PM »

I think the hard part with Joy Division is that they released all their best songs as singles, so their albums, which I like, aren't "great" when they could have been.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

charge

• Rep: 17
« Reply #443 on: October 13, 2021, 09:53:50 AM »
 Glad to see the Clash hate in here. Although they got some good traxx, i would gladly have them not exist if it meant dumb shit they inspired also didn't exist. IE rancid, etc....i do actually really like mick jones though. i just maybe think joe strummer sucks. who was that guy on enjoi with the fedora? he prob wears that terrible fedora cause of strummer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h8zs898lr4

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #444 on: October 13, 2021, 03:33:40 PM »
lmao you mean Jason Adams^^^??

I can admit that fedora phase is rough but he is one of the best to ever step on a board

aight back to hot takes

I don't care much for Bob Dylan. I don't "hate" him and I can kinda respect how he is prolific but his music does nothin' for me

charge

« Reply #445 on: October 13, 2021, 04:40:23 PM »

I can admit that fedora phase is rough but he is one of the best to ever step on a board

aight back to hot takes

I don't care much for Bob Dylan. I don't "hate" him and I can kinda respect how he is prolific but his music does nothin' for me

he def rips but fedoras...c'mon....unforgivable

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #446 on: October 13, 2021, 04:42:04 PM »
Glad to see the Clash hate in here. Although they got some good traxx, i would gladly have them not exist if it meant dumb shit they inspired also didn't exist. IE rancid, etc....i do actually really like mick jones though. i just maybe think joe strummer sucks. who was that guy on enjoi with the fedora? he prob wears that terrible fedora cause of strummer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h8zs898lr4
this song was made for you!
https://youtu.be/1JZd3TaRLxs

charge

« Reply #447 on: October 13, 2021, 04:42:12 PM »
I've been listening to punk/ hardcore since... 1985 I think? or 1984? My unpopular opinions are:
-I don't like the Ramones. I've always not liked them. I know they influenced this and that, but they do exactly 0 for me. I even saw them in 1990 I think, because all my buds were so hyped, but I just stood there trying to count how many songs may be left.
-Also not that big on the Clash. There are some songs that I like, but just not into them overall and own 0.
-Not sure if this is a thing or not, but I've seen (online and in real life) that it is "cool" to say Ron Reyes is the best Black Flag singer. I think he was easily the worst. I do think Rollins was the best (Damaged), but the music changed a lot during his tenure. The 1982 demos with him singing are awesome. (also a big fan of Dez singing and Keith Morris too, but Ron I could not stand)
-PiL was a great band. Way more interesting than the Pistols were, although I was a fan.

Again, everyone's different and those are my opinions. I know my distaste of the Ramones has been deemed sacrilege, but what are you gonna do? If you don't like it, you don't like it. I've been in a lot of stupid arguments over the years for that one, usually with the :
"How can you not like the Ramones?"
"Easily" - me

I'm way more into the UK82 style (Exploited, GBH, Discharge, Broken Bones) and old Hardcore punk stuff (Minor Threat, Cro-Mags, old Agnostic Front, Sheer Terror, Circle Jerks, 7 Seconds, Adolescents, old Suicidal) and also the Accused, Septic Death, Napalm Death.. oh and Dystopia also! BUT also.. i love 80s music (Duran Duran, Alphaville, A-Ha, the Smiths etc) and 70s classic rock stuff (Marshall Tucker Band, Skynyrd etc) AND Beethoven as well. Also my favorite band of all time is probably Pink Floyd so there is that too.

what you think of this one?

gram parsons covered it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo50GpVWxBQ

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #448 on: October 14, 2021, 07:17:01 AM »
That's a good jam right there. Thanks for reminding of those G's.
Funny thing for me when I listen to 70's stuff is I almost automatically light a cig and wish I was still care free enough to smoke ganja and drink. I am assuming part of it, is it reminds me of my dad's style.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #449 on: October 14, 2021, 08:23:31 AM »

aight back to hot takes

bob dylan johnny cash and tom waits. they do nothing for me