Author Topic: unpopular opinions thread - music edition  (Read 9548 times)

Hinna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
Re: unpopular opinions thread - music edition
« Reply #450 on: October 14, 2021, 08:23:31 AM »
lmao you mean Jason Adams^^^??

I can admit that fedora phase is rough but he is one of the best to ever step on a board

aight back to hot takes

I don't care much for Bob Dylan. I don't "hate" him and I can kinda respect how he is prolific but his music does nothin' for me
bob dylan johnny cash and tom waits. they do nothing for me

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 63
« Reply #451 on: October 14, 2021, 01:16:09 PM »
Bob Dylan is probably the most overrated musician ever. He canít sing, his tunes are terrible, and every single one of them without exception is about 3 minutes longer than it needs to be. Heís definitely lucky he was ďof a certain time and placeĒ, because that shit is objectively terrible.

HeavyAndExpensive

« Reply #452 on: October 14, 2021, 01:26:09 PM »
Bad Brains are still terrible. The 311 of hardcore. I posted this in a UWTB thread, now itís time to post in it proper place. HR has one of the worst voices in hardcore, among other things. Also, keep your reggae outta my hardcore, forcing genres together is bad songwriting and impresses dorks who think playing different styles of music in one song automatically makes you a good musician.

All are better than the Descendents.

Crass is legitimately unlistenable garbage. Do you like hearing a cockney dude rant about politics over piss poorly played terrible even if played well music? Boy do I have the ďbandĒ for you.

EyeHateGod are also terrible. Great, letís have Mike IX screech over the same 3 downtuned guitar chords ringing out, letís do that every fucking song. Reminds me of that band Khanate and Burning Witch. You show me someone who says they sit through that shit when no one is watching, and Iíll show you a god damn liar.

bea!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #453 on: Today at 07:07:07 AM »
You donít like Bad Brains, Crass or Eyehategod but you listen to All?

I think you just have shitty taste in music.

Huell Howser

• Rep: 37
« Reply #454 on: Today at 09:17:41 AM »
hahahaha^

@HeavyAndExpensive just showed their cards and now everything they say holds no weight

can't talk shit on eyehategod and be backing ALL

alright this one might ruffle a few feathers on here and i'll probably get kooked but MOST Propaghandi is terrible

JB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 808
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #455 on: Today at 10:04:40 AM »
Bad Brains are still terrible. The 311 of hardcore. I posted this in a UWTB thread, now itís time to post in it proper place. HR has one of the worst voices in hardcore, among other things. Also, keep your reggae outta my hardcore, forcing genres together is bad songwriting and impresses dorks who think playing different styles of music in one song automatically makes you a good musician.

All are better than the Descendents.

Crass is legitimately unlistenable garbage. Do you like hearing a cockney dude rant about politics over piss poorly played terrible even if played well music? Boy do I have the ďbandĒ for you.

EyeHateGod are also terrible. Great, letís have Mike IX screech over the same 3 downtuned guitar chords ringing out, letís do that every fucking song. Reminds me of that band Khanate and Burning Witch. You show me someone who says they sit through that shit when no one is watching, and Iíll show you a god damn liar.

I think this is great. I love bad brains, but 100% get the 311 connection. I actually used to like 311 back in middle school. Honestly I think I just liked their logo, never truly loved the music. I found bad brains after I stopped listening to 311 and had to laugh like "311 stole their sound from bad brains, but the bad bad brains".

I personally think anything over 40 minutes is to long for an album. Anything over an hour can go fuck itself.

Also, I'm sure most people here will agree, but Pearl Jam fucking sucks with no redeeming qualities.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 77
« Reply #456 on: Today at 11:29:15 AM »
Iím going to gnar anyone who critiques a band who put out at least a song this decade
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Frank

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 658
  • 2nite!
« Reply #457 on: Today at 12:35:13 PM »
i want to jump in on the bob dylan hating.

it's not that i hate the guy. but i for sure don't dig his music. what annoys me even more so are the bob dylan superfans that think he's like the best musician of all time. legit had several times people tell me bullshit like bob dylan actually invented rap, bob dylan actually invented this and wrote that, did you know this movie was inspired by this phrase allegedly said by bob dylan to some bum, bla bla bla. just total crap they pull out the air to legitimize their adoration. i get it, you love bob dylan. stop making up shit just to steamroll me into admitting any sort of respect for your opinion.

this goes for pretty much any type of obsessive superfan whatsoever, but there seem to be more bob dylan types out there than, say, david bowie obsessives.

newguy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #458 on: Today at 12:53:58 PM »
Bob Dylan is probably the most overrated musician ever. He canít sing, his tunes are terrible, and every single one of them without exception is about 3 minutes longer than it needs to be. Heís definitely lucky he was ďof a certain time and placeĒ, because that shit is objectively terrible.

Holy fuck finally. Dude sells himself as raw and authentic and sold out to any brand willing to give him money for crusty as placements. His singing is literally shaggy from scooby doo with unnecessary vocal cry to mask his nasal pitch. No wonder he was Steve Jobs favorite musician LOL

newguy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #459 on: Today at 01:01:47 PM »
Following the Bob Dylan myth deconstruction, Patti smith is a gender swapped Bob Dylan, why the hell is she admired by so many puzzles me.

HeavyAndExpensive

« Reply #460 on: Today at 02:24:30 PM »
hahahaha^

@HeavyAndExpensive just showed their cards and now everything they say holds no weight

can't talk shit on eyehategod and be backing ALL

EyeHateGod fucking sucks, I donít care. Shits terrible. For dudes that smell like sausages left in an ashtray with shitty facial hair.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:41:17 PM by HeavyAndExpensive »

HeavyAndExpensive

« Reply #461 on: Today at 02:27:31 PM »
You donít like Bad Brains, Crass or Eyehategod but you listen to All?

I think you just have shitty taste in music.

Have fun listening to Cockney spoken word over terribly played music

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -899
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #462 on: Today at 03:26:48 PM »
Quote from: Huell Howser
alright this one might ruffle a few feathers on here and i'll probably get kooked but MOST Propaghandi is terrible
woah, hold up there big boy! Is there a specific era of theirs you donít like? Or you just hate them in general?
They are, and have been, my fav band for over 20 years so I may be slightly biased and I wonít kook you for being honest but Iím trying to do the math on this one? Even Bill Stevenson thinks they are the best band ever and thatís a pretty big call from him!

Crass is more of a concept, than an actual band you listen to for the music. Sure they werenít great musicians (and even theyíll admit that), but their output and overall influence on punk/ diy is second to none!
« Last Edit: Today at 03:34:07 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

"This is untrue, my client has not been attacked in every country" #endlesstoecapsforthepuffyfooter

HeavyAndExpensive

« Reply #463 on: Today at 05:16:21 PM »

Crass is more of a concept, than an actual band you listen to for the music. Sure they werenít great musicians (and even theyíll admit that), but their output and overall influence on punk/ diy is second to none!

Not to jump on you - but thatís my entire point on the the crass sucks thing. The whole point of music is to listen to it. If youíre band is better as a concept than it is as a listening experience then it sucks. I listen to music, not concepts. Also - I listen to tons of bands that canít play music. The Replacements, they couldnít play and sometimes weíre too drunk to play, but you know what, they knew what sounded good. Thereís a difference between say, the Ramones, who canít ďplay wellĒ but know how to write a song people will want to listen to, and what Crass does. Crass canít play well - 75% of those older, mostly 80s bands, couldnít but what they could do was play something they knew what sounded good or was appealing in whatever respect. Crass doesnít know what sounds good and they canít play. You can be short or you can be fat -  you canít be both.