Author Topic: unpopular opinions thread - music edition  (Read 24595 times)

HeavyAndExpensive

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 114
Re: unpopular opinions thread - music edition
« Reply #450 on: October 14, 2021, 01:16:09 PM »
Bob Dylan is probably the most overrated musician ever. He can’t sing, his tunes are terrible, and every single one of them without exception is about 3 minutes longer than it needs to be. He’s definitely lucky he was “of a certain time and place”, because that shit is objectively terrible.

HeavyAndExpensive

« Reply #451 on: October 14, 2021, 01:26:09 PM »
Bad Brains are still terrible. The 311 of hardcore. I posted this in a UWTB thread, now it’s time to post in it proper place. HR has one of the worst voices in hardcore, among other things. Also, keep your reggae outta my hardcore, forcing genres together is bad songwriting and impresses dorks who think playing different styles of music in one song automatically makes you a good musician.

All are better than the Descendents.

Crass is legitimately unlistenable garbage. Do you like hearing a cockney dude rant about politics over piss poorly played terrible even if played well music? Boy do I have the “band” for you.

EyeHateGod are also terrible. Great, let’s have Mike IX screech over the same 3 downtuned guitar chords ringing out, let’s do that every fucking song. Reminds me of that band Khanate and Burning Witch. You show me someone who says they sit through that shit when no one is watching, and I’ll show you a god damn liar.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #452 on: October 15, 2021, 07:07:07 AM »
You don’t like Bad Brains, Crass or Eyehategod but you listen to All?

I think you just have shitty taste in music.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #453 on: October 15, 2021, 09:17:41 AM »
hahahaha^

@HeavyAndExpensive just showed their cards and now everything they say holds no weight

can't talk shit on eyehategod and be backing ALL

alright this one might ruffle a few feathers on here and i'll probably get kooked but MOST Propaghandi is terrible

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #454 on: October 15, 2021, 10:04:40 AM »
Bad Brains are still terrible. The 311 of hardcore. I posted this in a UWTB thread, now it’s time to post in it proper place. HR has one of the worst voices in hardcore, among other things. Also, keep your reggae outta my hardcore, forcing genres together is bad songwriting and impresses dorks who think playing different styles of music in one song automatically makes you a good musician.

Crass is legitimately unlistenable garbage. Do you like hearing a cockney dude rant about politics over piss poorly played terrible even if played well music? Boy do I have the “band” for you.

EyeHateGod are also terrible. Great, let’s have Mike IX screech over the same 3 downtuned guitar chords ringing out, let’s do that every fucking song. Reminds me of that band Khanate and Burning Witch. You show me someone who says they sit through that shit when no one is watching, and I’ll show you a god damn liar.

I think this is great. I love bad brains, but 100% get the 311 connection. I actually used to like 311 back in middle school. Honestly I think I just liked their logo, never truly loved the music. I found bad brains after I stopped listening to 311 and had to laugh like "311 stole their sound from bad brains, but the bad bad brains".

I personally think anything over 40 minutes is to long for an album. Anything over an hour can go fuck itself.

Also, I'm sure most people here will agree, but Pearl Jam fucking sucks with no redeeming qualities.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #455 on: October 15, 2021, 11:29:15 AM »
I’m going to gnar anyone who critiques a band who put out at least a song this decade
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #456 on: October 15, 2021, 12:35:13 PM »
i want to jump in on the bob dylan hating.

it's not that i hate the guy. but i for sure don't dig his music. what annoys me even more so are the bob dylan superfans that think he's like the best musician of all time. legit had several times people tell me bullshit like bob dylan actually invented rap, bob dylan actually invented this and wrote that, did you know this movie was inspired by this phrase allegedly said by bob dylan to some bum, bla bla bla. just total crap they pull out the air to legitimize their adoration. i get it, you love bob dylan. stop making up shit just to steamroll me into admitting any sort of respect for your opinion.

this goes for pretty much any type of obsessive superfan whatsoever, but there seem to be more bob dylan types out there than, say, david bowie obsessives.

newguy

« Reply #457 on: October 15, 2021, 12:53:58 PM »
Bob Dylan is probably the most overrated musician ever. He can’t sing, his tunes are terrible, and every single one of them without exception is about 3 minutes longer than it needs to be. He’s definitely lucky he was “of a certain time and place”, because that shit is objectively terrible.

Holy fuck finally. Dude sells himself as raw and authentic and sold out to any brand willing to give him money for crusty as placements. His singing is literally shaggy from scooby doo with unnecessary vocal cry to mask his nasal pitch. No wonder he was Steve Jobs favorite musician LOL

newguy

« Reply #458 on: October 15, 2021, 01:01:47 PM »
Following the Bob Dylan myth deconstruction, Patti smith is a gender swapped Bob Dylan, why the hell is she admired by so many puzzles me.

HeavyAndExpensive

« Reply #459 on: October 15, 2021, 02:24:30 PM »
hahahaha^

@HeavyAndExpensive just showed their cards and now everything they say holds no weight

can't talk shit on eyehategod and be backing ALL

EyeHateGod fucking sucks, I don’t care. Shits terrible. For dudes that smell like sausages left in an ashtray with shitty facial hair.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 02:41:17 PM by HeavyAndExpensive »

HeavyAndExpensive

« Reply #460 on: October 15, 2021, 02:27:31 PM »
You don’t like Bad Brains, Crass or Eyehategod but you listen to All?

I think you just have shitty taste in music.

Have fun listening to Cockney spoken word over terribly played music

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #461 on: October 15, 2021, 03:26:48 PM »
Quote from: Huell Howser
alright this one might ruffle a few feathers on here and i'll probably get kooked but MOST Propaghandi is terrible
woah, hold up there big boy! Is there a specific era of theirs you don’t like? Or you just hate them in general?
They are, and have been, my fav band for over 20 years so I may be slightly biased and I won’t kook you for being honest but I’m trying to do the math on this one? Even Bill Stevenson thinks they are the best band ever and that’s a pretty big call from him!

Crass is more of a concept, than an actual band you listen to for the music. Sure they weren’t great musicians (and even they’ll admit that), but their output and overall influence on punk/ diy is second to none!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 03:34:07 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

HeavyAndExpensive

« Reply #462 on: October 15, 2021, 05:16:21 PM »

Crass is more of a concept, than an actual band you listen to for the music. Sure they weren’t great musicians (and even they’ll admit that), but their output and overall influence on punk/ diy is second to none!

Not to jump on you - but that’s my entire point on the the crass sucks thing. The whole point of music is to listen to it. If you’re band is better as a concept than it is as a listening experience then it sucks. I listen to music, not concepts. Also - I listen to tons of bands that can’t play music. The Replacements, they couldn’t play and sometimes we’re too drunk to play, but you know what, they knew what sounded good. There’s a difference between say, the Ramones, who can’t “play well” but know how to write a song people will want to listen to, and what Crass does. Crass can’t play well - 75% of those older, mostly 80s bands, couldn’t but what they could do was play something they knew what sounded good or was appealing in whatever respect. Crass doesn’t know what sounds good and they can’t play. You can be short or you can be fat -  you can’t be both.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #463 on: October 15, 2021, 10:26:20 PM »
↑ then crass as a band isn’t for you; the message always came before the music, they believed in the power of punk as a movement, not making catchy tunes for the masses. Personally I think they have some great songs, but again I’m listening to them as a complete package (artwork and all) and as an ideology.
I would also argue that they have the greatest influence over punk culture in terms of sounds, ideas, aesthetic, ethics etc. and no band will ever match what they contributed.

Dante Bichette

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #464 on: October 15, 2021, 11:27:33 PM »

Come on man 50% of All's songs sound exactly the same
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

HeavyAndExpensive

« Reply #465 on: October 16, 2021, 04:22:16 AM »
What do you listen to when nobody is watching?  I guarantee it’s not Crass. I feel like I take crazy pills when anybody pretends they like that cacophonous garbage. They’d rather be writing political manifestos than even attempt to write songs but we all pretend like we enjoy it cause “they’re cool” and everyone forgets first and foremost they’re supposed to be fcking band that you know, writes SONGS. The idea that they are special as a punk band because they’re a package deal is laughable. Do you know how many punk bands managed to have a cool image without the terrible music? It’s like if they made Food Not Bombs a band, sounds great until you actually have to eat it

I mean, listen to this, it’s fucking terrible!!!!!!!!

https://youtu.be/QljX4OJQYZ4
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 04:37:23 AM by HeavyAndExpensive »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #466 on: October 16, 2021, 05:40:57 AM »
What do you listen to when nobody is watching?  I guarantee it’s not Crass. I feel like I take crazy pills when anybody pretends they like that cacophonous garbage. They’d rather be writing political manifestos than even attempt to write songs but we all pretend like we enjoy it cause “they’re cool” and everyone forgets first and foremost they’re supposed to be fcking band that you know, writes SONGS. The idea that they are special as a punk band because they’re a package deal is laughable. Do you know how many punk bands managed to have a cool image without the terrible music? It’s like if they made Food Not Bombs a band, sounds great until you actually have to eat it

I mean, listen to this, it’s fucking terrible!!!!!!!!

https://youtu.be/QljX4OJQYZ4

I don’t listen to all the songs. From any band.
But Best Before 84 sees action on my turntable.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #467 on: October 16, 2021, 06:43:31 AM »
I think the Descendents are easily one of the most overrated bands in punk/hardcore. Their first album is fine if not just for the nostalgia of the time when I first heard it. Beyond that I find them mostly horrible. They have the odd song here and there I won't ask to be turned off, but it feels like a broken clock situation. So much of it is pure incelcore and when I hear dudes over the age of like, 18, going on about how much "I'm The One" means to them it makes me skin crawl. Every single time I talk shit about this band people get up in a froth telling me how wrong I am.

ALL is terrible all around.

CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #468 on: October 16, 2021, 07:27:16 AM »
I think the Descendents are easily one of the most overrated bands in punk/hardcore. Their first album is fine if not just for the nostalgia of the time when I first heard it. Beyond that I find them mostly horrible. They have the odd song here and there I won't ask to be turned off, but it feels like a broken clock situation. So much of it is pure incelcore and when I hear dudes over the age of like, 18, going on about how much "I'm The One" means to them it makes me skin crawl. Every single time I talk shit about this band people get up in a froth telling me how wrong I am.

ALL is terrible all around.

Oh man, Incelcore is a good one.  I once heard The Decendents described as “nice guys finish last-core”.  That first album isn’t bad but the lyrics are so corny I can’t do it. 

Crass rules, although I totally understand why people don’t like it.  It’s super inept and Steve ignorant’s voice can be super grating.  Personally I think musically it rules… I love the military style drumming and spastic noisy guitar.  My favorite stuff is Penis Envy and anything Eve Libertine sings, but I like it all.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #469 on: October 16, 2021, 07:43:22 AM »
All/ descendents is great when you’re pent up and in high school with relationship problems. Lyrics are pretty creepy if look at them as an adult though. Having said that, most of those songs were written when those guys were teenagers or in the their early 20s so of course it will get cringey. Hell, I’m thankful nothing I thought/ said during those years is recorded for the rest of the world to hear well beyond my grave. Those dudes were total outcasts too, even within the punk scene so in context and with some nostalgia-coloured glasses on I still get the appeal.

Much like propagandhi, you either hate or love Crass, maybe even more so. They blew my mind and opened me up to so many new ideas, so I’ll always have a soft spot for them even if I’m not blasting them on the daily! That military drumming is so central to their music, but they were also super experimental.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 08:07:18 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #470 on: October 16, 2021, 05:55:21 PM »
I’m going to gnar anyone who critiques a band who put out at least a song this decade

King gizzard, while I think they're a decent band, is one of the most gimmicky bands of the past decade. Not every album needs a half baked theme.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #471 on: October 16, 2021, 09:20:09 PM »
I do still like Crass, but I like Zounds better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7kLsDK19WM

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

charge

• Rep: 17
« Reply #472 on: October 17, 2021, 01:16:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

King gizzard, while I think they're a decent band, is one of the most gimmicky bands of the past decade. Not every album needs a half baked theme.

Lots of people say id love them based on my love of spiritualized. But it’s a hard no for me forever based on the name alone. Never even listened to a track just based on that fucking ridiculously stupid name. Can you imagine saying with a straight face to someone “I’m just really into king gizzard and the lizard wizard?”

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #473 on: October 17, 2021, 10:56:02 AM »
This is what I think whenever someone says Radio Head is their favorite band

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #474 on: October 17, 2021, 08:50:43 PM »
lmao. nine inch nails is cringe. idk back in my younger days trent reznor was highly respected by many but in retrospect he just seems like some burberry erry type of shit from that era

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #475 on: October 18, 2021, 09:52:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
woah, hold up there big boy! Is there a specific era of theirs you don’t like? Or you just hate them in general?
They are, and have been, my fav band for over 20 years so I may be slightly biased and I won’t kook you for being honest but I’m trying to do the math on this one? Even Bill Stevenson thinks they are the best band ever and that’s a pretty big call from him!

Admittedly I did like a few songs off their first album in high school and I could probably listen those songs if they came on but, I am not going out of my way to listen to them

and for me personally Bill Stevenson is not someone I would consider an authority on music...

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #476 on: October 18, 2021, 08:38:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Admittedly I did like a few songs off their first album in high school and I could probably listen those songs if they came on but, I am not going out of my way to listen to them

and for me personally Bill Stevenson is not someone I would consider an authority on music...

i love propagandhi, but absolutely we should not be taking advice from the guy responsible for i’m the one

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #477 on: October 18, 2021, 10:23:48 PM »
I’m just saying that from black flag to present he’s seen a shit tonne of bands come and go through the punk scene.
Hell, how many bands do their recordings at the blasting room? At this point you think a band like propagandhi wouldn’t even register on his radar with all the shit he has to wade through…

@Huell Howser they've definitely changed up their style from the old days, peep “supporting caste” and if you still can’t stand them after listening to that then yeah, they’ll probably never win you back.

Prinzy

• Rep: 178
« Reply #478 on: October 19, 2021, 06:57:17 AM »
having gotten into many smoke session debates over this hot take, i thought i would bring it on slap.

i personally, 100% believe, Oasis was a better band than The Beatles.

I really am opposed to whole the reasoning that one of the "first" to do it is the best. yes there is a myriad of things the Beatles were inspired by and ripped off, but general music culture seems to refer to them as the original and often "best" British rock band, so whenever i bring up my take, people get all up and arms about it.

I just think Oasis took the simplicity of and beauty of Beatles songwriting and put in a blender with some of the great British bands since; the working class ethos and intensity of bands like the Sex Pistols and Clash, rock star hooliganism of The Who, and the aesthetics of bands like The Smiths and Stone Roses.

Hell, they even made a Beatles song BETTER.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GOctB63XMA&ab_channel=LuisGijon21

I do however acknowledge after the third album, Oasis' discography blows.

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #479 on: October 19, 2021, 08:08:13 AM »
No way. We'll give Oasis the three albums like you said, but The Beatles had like a dozen in the span of less than ten years. Even if you don't like them all, their output and consistency is way greater than what Oasis did in the 90s.

I'd say The Brian Jonestown Massacre is better than Oasis and probably could've been just as big if Anton wasn't such an arrogant prick back then. Anton, in my opinion, is easily one of the best song writers in psych rock/pop history and he's still cranking out great music.