Author Topic: Andy Anderson should be in SOTY running  (Read 16983 times)

elbarto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
Re: Andy Anderson should be in SOTY running
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2020, 01:07:48 PM »

Bananas. If GT did this everyone would collectively shit.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2020, 01:08:49 PM »
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

MORT

• Rep: -2
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2020, 01:23:47 PM »
Do your own thing in your own time. Andy’s 100% himself and that’s something to respect. Be nice to the nerds y’all.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2020, 02:18:33 PM »
It’s hilarious how half of slap goes into ‘REEE’ mode anytime they see this kid.

sweetlou

• Rep: 11
  • https://www.superduperskateboards.com/
    • superduperskateboards.com avatar image
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2020, 02:23:28 PM »
The songs used were so fucking bad, even if it’s good footage it’s been wasted. Would have been better “silence is golden” style.

Ironic ‘cause Powell could probably pay for the rights to anything.

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2020, 02:37:56 PM »
It’s hilarious how half of slap goes into ‘REEE’ mode anytime they see this kid.

I can understand not liking Andy's skating/image, but anybody that gets actively annoyed/offended by his harmless antics is a fuckin' dork.
 Fact is, Andy's an excellent human being regardless of whether you like his skating or not. And I can guarantee that anybody who has skated with him can attest to the fact that the kid is endlessly impressive to watch.
 Personally, I find the rail stalls/flatground stuff to be a bit much, but who the hell am I to decide what anybody does.

BieberStance

• Rep: -18
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2020, 02:40:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yea but gt would do it without an helmet and 3 feet higher

biaherl

• Rep: 276
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2020, 02:42:30 PM »
The songs used were so fucking bad

I felt that they had too serious of a connotation but assumed that he made them himself. Maybe he should of added some cheap Cassio keyboards

I would have gone with a Violent Fems song

He did some gnarly shit

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2020, 02:43:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Perhaps higher but I really don’t see why the helmet matters. I know it’s a little dorky but I’d love to see helmets be more okay in the pro community. Not that anyone would wear them anyways but it is interesting that we have literally one street skating pro that consistently wears a helmet. I back &&, stoked to see his career grow.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

BieberStance

« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2020, 02:45:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Perhaps higher but I really don’t see why the helmet matters. I know it’s a little dorky but I’d love to see helmets be more okay in the pro community. Not that anyone would wear them anyways but it is interesting that we have literally one street skating pro that consistently wears a helmet. I back &&, stoked to see his career grow.

I don’t mind the helmet. Its fine.
Anyways, GT wouldn’t wear one.
GT wins.

Burnout420

• Rep: -27
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2020, 02:50:34 PM »
dude is the joe bonamassa of skating

And what does that mean exactly? Lol is their something wrong with joe bonamassa?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2020, 02:52:32 PM »
He is the best case against anyone who says or believes that professional skating isn’t about image/ wearing the correct clothes/ having the right sponsors.

If he didn’t have a helmet, rode for an underground brand and had an overall makeover, I’m sure most of Slap would worship him.

I can see his influences (good job on including the bibliography too) and you know what? That’s awesome, the dude truly is a skate nerd and actually went back and learnt about people that were in their prime before he was even conceived and then put his own spin on what they contributed.   

People love to say that skating is so inclusive these days and that there aren’t any “cool tricks” anymore, you’re free to do anything right? If that truly is the case, then this guy deserves more props for 100% doing his own thing, and doing it at a level that easily up there with other pros in the industry (“but, but he wears a helmet” is not a legit argument against his skill level btw) props for being yourself and pissing off a lot of people in the process!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2020, 02:53:46 PM »
There is a lot to unpack here.

I got to say, while my personal tastes in skate trick viewing weren't catered to here, it is cool to see what Andy Anderson comes up with. I don't mind watching him skate at all, and am glad he is doing his thing. There is plenty of room in skateboarding for everyone.

I could see this being one of the most viewed skate parts of all time on youtube, right up there with Richie Jackson. It definitely has appeal outside of the core universe we are in. And him wearing a helmet might make it very mom-friendly. Honestly the fingerless bike gloves are harder to stomach than the helmet.

The music was easily the most offensive thing Andy did in this video. I guess if you want to score your own skate part and like 'on hold waiting for customer service' music, that is your prerogative, but I thought it didn't do any favors.

I believe this is also the first time there is a "Trick Acknowledgement" in the credits.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2020, 02:56:48 PM »
Trick/ influence bibliography is a cool concept.
When magenta first came out I was like yeah, that’s cool but you need to acknowledge EE3-era videos and the underground Japanese skate scene as a whole if you’re gunna put out stuff like that!
(I love magenta btw)

BieberStance

« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2020, 02:58:16 PM »
He is the best case against anyone who says or believes that professional skating isn’t about image/ wearing the correct clothes/ having the right sponsors.

If he didn’t have a helmet, rode for an underground brand and had an overall makeover, I’m sure most of Slap would worship him.

I can see his influences (good job on including the bibliography too) and you know what? That’s awesome, the dude truly is a skate nerd and actually went back and learnt about people that were in their prime before he was even conceived and then put his own spin on what they contributed.   

People love to say that skating is so inclusive these days and that there aren’t any “cool tricks” anymore, you’re free to do anything right? If that truly is the case, then this guy deserves more props for 100% doing his own thing, and doing it at a level that easily up there with other pros in the industry (“but, but he wears a helmet” is not a legit argument against his skill level btw) props for being yourself and pissing off a lot of people in the process!

You are right.
But on the other hand he wears the wrong clothes, has the wrong sponsors, does gimmicky tricks and wears a helmet.

If he manages to fix that, (without ending up looking like Jamie foy) he will go far.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2020, 03:08:18 PM »
Just to counter the “gimmicky tricks”, do you think roller surfer does gimmicky tricks too? I can honestly see a few similarities in their approach...

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2020, 03:21:19 PM »
Just posting my own comment here, because the part is being discussed in two threads, and I actually find the reception of him rather fascinating.

Would I ever think he should get SOTY (as the thread in useless wooden toy banter suggests)? Absolutely not.

But I really like having him in skateboarding :) he's adorable and some of the stuff is seriously impressive. Usually, when people start to go down the road of these types of tricks, I am one of the people that asks for the editor to leave some of the tricks out, but I honestly don't want to spoil whatever && (as said above - AA is another one!) Has going on in his own world. There's plenty of space for him in skateboarding.

One of the things, I like about him, is that it is actually established skateboarding tricks he uses. There were a guy some years ago, who always got a lot of attention, because he did summersaults down stairs and landed on a skateboard. That's not skateboarding - it's stunts involving a skateboard. && is a skateboarder, albeit a dorky one.

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2020, 03:23:27 PM »
Just to counter the “gimmicky tricks”, do you think roller surfer does gimmicky tricks too? I can honestly see a few similarities in their approach...
But Koppl skates with TBPR.... 😚

BieberStance

« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2020, 03:24:31 PM »

The girl on the oldschool blades? I don’t get it?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2020, 03:32:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
But Koppl skates with TBPR.... 😚
exactly!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2020, 03:33:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

TheyLiveAmongUs

• Rep: -17
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2020, 04:00:45 PM »
YOU MOTHERFUCKERS.

I SWEAR YOU MOTHERFUCKERS.

Sound so fucking regular for 90% of this thread. I had been waiting for this part like the best Christmas gift I could have ever asked for, and guess what I came five times prolly before the end of it. It was fucking fantastic.

Then I have to come in here with shitheads all over posting about && like the biggest idiots out. Dude is clearly the best skateboarder in the world over Ishod, Grant, etc. and if this part does not prove that to you, then you genuinely have no concept of skate IQ and should not be shitposting criticism on a skateboard forum, straight up. Dude is the most unbelievable skateboarder arguably in the history of skateboarding. The pogo stall spine transfer, the gifs shown in the thread, the numerous 20 stair plus grinds, the amazing curved board slide and 1 foot 50’ long grind, he had a great sequence of a front foot impossible to 360 flip and a sequence after that which looked like Reynolds. His freestyle he worked in at the LA high shit was honestly the most unique take on that place I’ve seen in a while. The fucking varial heel indy hip transfer, like I could go on and on and on, but this dude is unfuckwithable, unfuckwithable.

Merry Christmas shitheads, and I hope u guys have a wonderful new year.

The thing that shocked me about this was how raw it was, it might be the rawest edited part I’ve ever seen, almost like a bunch of Instagram clips somehow strewn into a video part, that to me if you actually want to criticize video execution I will buy.
All other criticism is garbage outside of marketing.

sKINGraft

• Rep: 28
  • space doo-doo pistols
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2020, 04:05:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i like && but this is a clear distinction between "good"/difficult tricks and an actual part. no offense to the & but his part lacks flow or cohesion, whereas ben koppl has clearly put in time with one or two filmers instead of what looks like a mish mash of collected clips from random filmers.

not gonna lie i was keen for this part to come out, and wasn't disappointed or let down at all by it. its just that && is guilty pleasure for reasons that arent entirely his own doing. the helmet is probably a contributing factor in this

foureyedjim

« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2020, 04:10:52 PM »
My only complaint is that it was 6 minutes long...no thanks dude. 

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2020, 04:21:12 PM »
YOU MOTHERFUCKERS.

Sound so fucking regular for 90% of this thread. I had been waiting for this part like the best Christmas gift I could have ever asked for, and guess what I came five times prolly before the end of it. It was fucking fantastic.

Then I have to come in here with shitheads all over posting about && like the biggest idiots out. Dude is clearly the best skateboarder in the world over Ishod, Grant, etc. and if this part does not prove that to you, then you genuinely have no concept of skate IQ and should not be shitposting criticism on a skateboard forum, straight up. Dude is the most unbelievable skateboarder arguably in the history of skateboarding. The pogo stall spine transfer, the gifs shown in the thread, the numerous 20 stair plus grinds, the amazing curved board slide and 1 foot 50’ long grind, he had a great sequence of a front foot impossible to 360 flip and a sequence after that which looked like Reynolds. His freestyle he worked in at the LA high shit was honestly the most unique take on that place I’ve seen in a while. The fucking varial heel indy hip transfer, like I could go on and on and on, but this dude is unfuckwithable, unfuckwithable.

The thing that shocked me about this was how raw it was, it might be the rawest edited part I’ve ever seen, almost like a bunch of Instagram clips somehow strewn into a video part, that to me if you actually want to criticize video execution I will buy.

I appreciate your candor.

&& made a almost a pure street part, except for a couple legit DIY park cuts. And he skated it all.

2 20+ stair rails alone (one just after the rain!) should have cemented him as next-tier.

But you guys are so desperate to disparage that you turn to what, the music, the helmet (so fucking what at this point) and the number of filmers?

That’s all you have?

&& is Gonz 2.0, and a lot of you don’t like that.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 988
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2020, 04:25:03 PM »
shut the fuck up cheetah

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 287
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2020, 04:25:16 PM »
YOU MOTHERFUCKERS.

what up cheetah. i knew you couldn’t stay away!

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2020, 04:27:13 PM »
Expand Quote
YOU MOTHERFUCKERS.

[close]

&& made a almost a pure street part, except for a couple legit DIY park cuts. And he skated it all.

2 20+ stair rails alone (one just after the rain!) should have cemented him as next-tier.

But you guys are so desperate to disparage that you turn to what, the music, the helmet (so fucking what at this point) and the number of filmers?

That’s all you have?
Yeah, his presentation is complete garbage. Like we've all said, of course the skating is gnarly, but it's not up to snuff taste wise. It all feels so youtube-ey. I mean shit I'll watch Glen Fox and crew skirt around the ground all day. It really shows the importance of editing and overall packaging, but I'm sure its crushing in the algorithm so what do I care. Skate reddit popping off.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2020, 04:36:30 PM »
here’s a three paragraph post about why freestyle tricks on vert ramp decks are sick:

TheyLiveAmongUs

• Rep: -17
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2020, 04:37:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
YOU MOTHERFUCKERS.

[close]

That’s all you have?
[close]
Yeah, his presentation is complete garbage. Like we've all said, of course the skating is gnarly, but it's not up to snuff taste wise. It all feels so youtube-ey. I mean shit I'll watch Glen Fox and crew skirt around the ground all day. It really shows the importance of editing and overall packaging, but I'm sure its crushing in the algorithm so what do I care. Skate reddit popping off.

I mean basically what it comes down to is Andy the coolest skater that has ever lived, fuck no, but is he arguably the greatest of all time in terms of pure ability? It’s very difficult to argue. I also back the reference to a modern Gonz. Imagine if Dill would have picked him up at an early age, dressed him, told him exactly what tricks he can do(because he’s that good), and u all would eat that shit up like size queens and monster cock. It’s just u know just insane to me this dude doesn’t have universal love even if he’s not the coolest dude out.

I actually enjoyed the raw aspect of the video for once instead of just a unique filmers vision. He doesn’t need anyone to make him look a specific way because it’s about the skills pure and simple not fucking image, just give it to us raw and it’s better than Tyshawn, GT, Ishod, u name it. && is the undisputed goat now and I’m just not listening to shitheads on here anymore. He is the rawest skateboarder of all time, and he will always be the GOAT until someone dethrones him.

&& unofficially SOTY 2020