Author Topic: Godspeed - Davonte Jolly  (Read 18647 times)

ice nine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Godspeed - Davonte Jolly
« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2020, 12:04:22 AM »
never thouht id see an illegal civ video i didn’t hate. also ever thouht id see frank ocean licensed in a skate vid.

some of the editing surprised me in a good way. the cut to black and white and cut back between parts worked really well. along with some of turning songs down to hear a convo and then going back to the song. it carried.

also midler is such a little troll it’s actually kind of endearing.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2020, 01:02:17 AM »
Really liked the whole vid. Wasn't expecting to be into it/never seen another IC vid but Davonte Jolly is a much better editor than Mikey Alfred. Only thing I really didn't like is how he uses a lot of roll-up in his clips.

Ishod skating to Otis then Nudy was amazing. I watched the Nudy part like five times.

Nak was actually funny and was saying some real shit at that double set, dunno why people are mad.

Kevin White is wonderful, man skates like he tries and I feel that. Breaking your board and still landing in manny is absolutely wild.

I think the reason why I never cared about Midler is the Red Bull hat, even the car wash bank hates it apparently. Dude is an absolute killer.

Music supervision was really good.

9/10

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #92 on: December 26, 2020, 01:36:59 AM »
never thouht id see an illegal civ video i didn’t hate. also ever thouht id see frank ocean licensed in a skate vid.

some of the editing surprised me in a good way. the cut to black and white and cut back between parts worked really well. along with some of turning songs down to hear a convo and then going back to the song. it carried.

thats is a example of shitty editing
also people are into kevin white skating? dude looks like his about to fall every clip

yall niggas trippin

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2020, 04:13:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
as if ishod wasn't already my favorite, then he goes and gets an individual thought patterns shirt
[close]

I’m wearing a “Human” Death shirt atm and that got me so stocked ahah Ishod is a man of culture!  :-*

I found Kevin White footy really enjoyable and had that “feel good” vibe to me, Ishod is living in his own reality, no comments needed, Zach is smooth as fuck and incredibly talented (I hope some good board brand pick him up, or is it IC a board brand now?!). He’s obviously really good but I hate Robert Neal and I don’t really know why, Ish Cepeda’s front heel in Sidney was bonkers! Noe Solis might be the tallest midget I’ve ever seen, he did some fucked up stuff tho. I already forgot every Nico clip, Zion is good (that heelflip was nuts) but goddamn, he’s 1 step away from looking like the US version of Aurelian Giraud. Midler’s last trick was insane but I feel like I find Milton’s flip gnarlier. The fact that it was less “in control”, he popped way higher, the flick, catch, shifted the fuck out of it, that takes the cake for me. Still, the whole part is mental. That rollercoaster grind had me shook. Overall, the video was really enjoyable and much more memorable than other Illegal Civ stuff I’ve seen before.
[close]
Tell us how you really feel
anyone want to buy a spiritual healing, human, or scream bloody gore shirt from my shirt collection? It’s only a matter of time before some young fucks make it til tik trendy. RIP CHUCK. Hopefully slam and grind are so unpalatable to general audiences that they never see the wave of pop trends.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Acky Jacky

« Reply #94 on: December 26, 2020, 04:16:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
also people are into kevin white skating? dude looks like his about to fall every clip

yall niggas trippin

Kevin White had the most cohesive parts that I can remember watching. The pop-shuv noseslide revert around 8:05 was one of the most aesthetically pleasing tricks in the video. He’s a tall guy, so maybe you don’t like tall skaters styles.

I agree I don’t know about the editing in this video though.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #95 on: December 26, 2020, 04:32:02 AM »
anyone want to buy a spiritual healing, human, or scream bloody gore shirt from my shirt collection? It’s only a matter of time before some young fucks make it til tik trendy. RIP CHUCK. Hopefully slam and grind are so unpalatable to general audiences that they never see the wave of pop trends.

Not sure why people get so touchy when there’s popular appeal in metal.
If this gets all the kids to check it out and get into heavier music I’m all for it.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #96 on: December 26, 2020, 04:45:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If this gets all the kids to check it out and get into heavier music I’m all for it.
fuck, I get pissed when I go to buy a band shirt and it costs over $100 because some random hype beast or rapper wore it once and doesn’t even listen to them. Not calling Ishod a hypebeast but we know they copy shit that they see skaters in it, so it’s a matter of time. It cost an arm and a leg to get a Deicide, exodus, or a obituary shirt because trendy fucks treat everything like Nike dunks.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Acky Jacky

« Reply #97 on: December 26, 2020, 05:04:41 AM »
Aren’t you supposed to make the shirts yourself or is that punk rock?

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -598
  • who knows
« Reply #98 on: December 26, 2020, 05:38:41 AM »
A theory in defense of the red bull hat....isn't that both zion and midler's first sponsor?   I mean when you're a little kid and you get the offer most little kids would take it.   Then as you get older they keep paying you when nobody else does and providing opportunities for you.

I'm not saying I like it but I can respect it.   Its not the same as if ishod starting hawking red bull.
where is home?

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #99 on: December 26, 2020, 05:39:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
fuck, I get pissed when I go to buy a band shirt and it costs over $100 because some random hype beast or rapper wore it once and doesn’t even listen to them. Not calling Ishod a hypebeast but we know they copy shit that they see skaters in it, so it’s a matter of time. It cost an arm and a leg to get a Deicide, exodus, or a obituary shirt because trendy fucks treat everything like Nike dunks.

I made a point of buying a shirt at every show I went to, and amassed a nice little collection, even in the last few years before covid. Those resellers like Tyrannyandmutation can only have so many XXL ripped Nirvana shirts.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2020, 05:41:06 AM »
A theory in defense of the red bull hat....isn't that both zion and midler's first sponsor?   I mean when you're a little kid and you get the offer most little kids would take it.   Then as you get older they keep paying you when nobody else does and providing opportunities for you.

I'm not saying I like it but I can respect it.   Its not the same as if ishod starting hawking red bull.

He’s too busy ironing monster patches on his jeans.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #101 on: December 26, 2020, 05:59:13 AM »
I was pretty stoned when I watched this and I legit thought for a second that Zack kid was Ryan Gallant. Very similar style imo. Good video. Let’s get a go fund me to get Kevin White back to Europe. He really seemed to be enjoying himself.

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1
« Reply #102 on: December 26, 2020, 07:30:08 AM »
you think ishod was like "dont hit me with none of that bullshit super zoom because my skating is fucking timeless”

this was literally my thought when watching. like imagine if Ishod was on Supreme/FA and was getting the Fat Bill treatment lol

when that “the champ is here” song started Ishods part i knew we were in for a treat tho
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

Tabletop

• Rep: -72
« Reply #103 on: December 26, 2020, 07:50:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

yall niggas trippin
[close]

Kevin White had the most cohesive parts that I can remember watching. The pop-shuv noseslide revert around 8:05 was one of the most aesthetically pleasing tricks in the video. He’s a tall guy, so maybe you don’t like tall skaters styles.

I agree I don’t know about the editing in this video though.

Not even.
His landings are sketchy in a stiff way.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #104 on: December 26, 2020, 07:50:35 AM »
Needed more KB and Tyshawn

For all saying this was an IC video. It wasn’t really. Jolly works for IC, but Mikey told him to just make his own video with whoever he wanted in it.

But IC is a real board brand and most of these kids do ride for them.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #105 on: December 26, 2020, 08:08:04 AM »
I kinda thought that kid from Killing of a Sacred Deer was gonna have a full part? Maybe he did and I skipped over it.

The Ishod part was hella nice and smooth. The vids ender was pretty crazy, gnarliest 270 ever done? are Midler stocks really rising...

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #106 on: December 26, 2020, 08:30:52 AM »

Seems like Red Bull is pretty strict about placement of their logo? I've noticed Red Bull riders seem to always be rocking headware, but Monster dudes can place the logo on other locations? Think there's a payment tier depending on where it's palced, or is it dictated by who the rider is? Does Ishod get paid less than someone else, because he's somewhat subtle about how often he flashes the logo? I've spent to much time today pondering about shitty tasting beverages. Drink water.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #107 on: December 26, 2020, 08:34:50 AM »
I actually think Midler looks better with the Red Bull hat than without it  ;D
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #108 on: December 26, 2020, 08:42:32 AM »
Great edit overall. Zion & Ishod on point as always. Was hoping to see more from Nak & KB here. Midler fully leveled up after this one.
Does the car wash trick count if the Red Bull hat comes off before the roll away?

thot juice

• Rep: -54
« Reply #109 on: December 26, 2020, 09:10:30 AM »

why he came up with odd future/ these kids & down with a lot of sk8ers i would have used nikes for ishod jk but seems like an obv choice ps i just made a rnb mix called frank ocean’s mom

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #110 on: December 26, 2020, 09:49:33 AM »
i really liked Zach and Ishod's parts,  the rest is. not for me.

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #111 on: December 26, 2020, 10:00:33 AM »
Where's the guy that was pist at Nyjah for grinding above a traffickway? Zion flipping his board above a street is way worse, don't be a hypocrite!

n0torious

• Rep: 153
« Reply #112 on: December 26, 2020, 10:16:21 AM »

Relapse is still printing them. The labels have picked up on this demand and are just constantly screen printing new ones for reasonable prices. Was Three 6 the first act to touch off the trend of wearing shirts repping heavy music?

I definitely get annoyed when Travis Scott or whoever else makes it impossible to find something for a reasonable price. Supreme permanently warped the market for Akira merch.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -598
  • who knows
« Reply #113 on: December 26, 2020, 10:17:22 AM »
Ive watched Zach saraceno's part like 6 times.   I wish there was a wider angle of the nollie noseslide nollie heelflip out.  That trick should be gross but from what I could see of it it looked flawless.

That dude is going places. Not since trapasso in suffer the joy have I seen someone ive never heard of and been totally impressed like that
where is home?

SSBSTRS

• Rep: 6
« Reply #114 on: December 26, 2020, 11:18:22 AM »
Whoever has said that attention spans for skate videos have gotten shorter must have been referring to me, cause I saw that run time, and I was like "oh hell no". Sick vid though. Ishod's the goat.

I'm curious why they included that backside flip over the wall at 12:38 in Ishod's part, cause Cyrus already did that shit as good as one can do it.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 11:36:42 AM by SSBSTRS »

ballintoohard

« Reply #115 on: December 26, 2020, 11:24:23 AM »
Nakel is so cringe I want to never buy an FA board again.

Who is Illegal Civ's market? Country club kids that quietly listen to shitty trap on Soundcloud so they don't get in trouble with their parents after paying $20 for a skimped gram?

Dinglenuts

• Rep: 2
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #116 on: December 26, 2020, 11:45:18 AM »
One of the best videos in recent memory. Instant classic.

quadcuff

• Rep: -5
« Reply #117 on: December 26, 2020, 12:18:02 PM »
loved this video, ishod's stuff, zac's stuff, this was sick

couple of moments where i felt straight up embarrassed to be a skater though, just leave people the fuck alone and don't argue and get aggressive with strangers for no reason

TheFandangler

• Rep: 14
« Reply #118 on: December 26, 2020, 12:45:28 PM »
Ishod is the GOAT and it's not even a discussion anymore.

Sat down intending to watch the whole thing. Could not do it. Some great skating in there. Some real awful music too.

Arguing with property owners about skating on their property is the dumbest shit ever.

Someone said that Midler looks like he should be wearing a pink polo shirt with a sweater tied around his neck and I couldn't agree more.

Dr. Goodvibes

• Rep: -2
« Reply #119 on: December 26, 2020, 01:14:34 PM »
I gasped when the footage turned black and white after that guy did the bs flip over the grass gap thing at like 38 minutes. Can't believe you would actually do something so corny.

Most of the songs were really bad imo. Just something about it where the 'coolness' of the music comes off as arrogant and pretty self absorbed. If you're gonna use a hard ass song, it better be like Tyshawn in blessed where his skating was as intense as Rick Ross on BMF,
not edited way too slow for the track. I think that in most cases, understated music is just way better suited for skating. gives off humble vibes.

Big collection of whack kits in a video too

Sacareno is dowpe