Author Topic: HD Fisheye Options  (Read 1756 times)

DolceBlaze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
HD Fisheye Options
« on: December 26, 2020, 07:08:28 AM »
What's up everyone,

I've been shooting with a combination of Sony A6300 + Canon 8-15mm for fisheye and Sony AX700 for longlens.

Honnestly loving the AX700 so much that Im thinking of buying a second one (or NX80) and using that camera for fisheye.

The only fisheyes that I know are really tried and true for HD are the Canon 8-15 & Xtreme, both aren't an option on that camera.

Leaves me with the following options.

3CCD Fisheye by VX1000Market
I've seen Kev Perez use one of his NX80, but I haven't seen footage. I'm confused if this truly is any better than just a regular 0.3x Opteka?

0.3x Opteka
Speaking of which, is this fisheye really that bad? Seems like the easier option but I've always stayed away from Opteka.

Any other good options? I don't want to step down from the Canon 8-15mm for something disapointing. Just like the idea of carrying a smaller VX-like form camera for Fisheye and not fiddling with my A6300 rig anymore.

Thanks guys!

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 49
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
Re: HD Fisheye Options
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 02:02:27 PM »
the opteka and the 3ccd fish are the same thing just branded differently. best option is what bataard did by using a mk1 but if you don't already have one you're gonna be paying up the ass.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

bataaard

• Rep: 42
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 03:56:33 PM »
in my opinion, the mkII, opteka, and 3ccd lenses suck. try to find a century mk1:

but i modified my handle this way:
https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17864451860247954/

I wish they made a handle for the NX80 with a built in mic instead of XLRs. That would be prime!

Fisheye wise, you can look for a century babydeath (37mm) aswell if you are not scared to crop a lot in your video.
If you're on a budget, the opteka 37mm can do the job until you find money for a better fisheye.

DolceBlaze

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 04:03:50 PM »
Thank you so much! I see I wasn't clueless thinking the AX700 with a proper fisheye would be the way to go. Already have the VXmic, just need to get an MK1. Hyped!

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 08:04:49 AM »
in my opinion, the mkII, opteka, and 3ccd lenses suck. try to find a century mk1:

but i modified my handle this way:
https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17864451860247954/

I wish they made a handle for the NX80 with a built in mic instead of XLRs. That would be prime!

Fisheye wise, you can look for a century babydeath (37mm) aswell if you are not scared to crop a lot in your video.
If you're on a budget, the opteka 37mm can do the job until you find money for a better fisheye.

This was linked to me. This looks soooo fucking sick!

InquisitiveGentleman

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 12:25:58 PM »
DolceBlaze,
 You still shooting long lens with the sony ax700? What do you like/dislike about the camera? Do you have any footage I could peep. I am considering buying a sony ax700.

donkey

• Rep: -67
  • donk
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 12:34:58 PM »
DolceBlaze,
 You still shooting long lens with the sony ax700? What do you like/dislike about the camera? Do you have any footage I could peep. I am considering buying a sony ax700.
Also interested in this footage and opinion

DolceBlaze

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 07:08:33 AM »
What's up guys,

I actually adapted a MK1 on there, looks amazing.

Photo of setup -

Filmed a fun little project back in March while the snow was melting here in Canada.

Here are some clips

Full video -

This project was 4:3 so shot in 16:9 and then cropped in post.

With the MK1 you can easily do 16:9 by zooming 130% in post OR just recently I added 4-5 spacers to make the fisheye so wide that when I activate the digital extender mode (uses only 50% of the middle of the sensor) I actually get perfect 16:9 footage in full 1080p no post zoom.

Hope this helps!

fickdiepolizei666

• Rep: -7
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 11:03:45 AM »
did you screw a weight there on the bottom or what is that?

DolceBlaze

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 06:25:03 PM »
Yup I added a 1 pound weight, I like it better for fisheye shots just feels a bit more stable. I think it'd be fine without though.

fickdiepolizei666

• Rep: -7
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 01:34:29 PM »
Yup I added a 1 pound weight, I like it better for fisheye shots just feels a bit more stable. I think it'd be fine without though.

i think i need one of those for my dslr rig. got any specific one on your rig?

suckmadeck

• Rep: 28
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 06:13:14 AM »
Looks good! only thing though is that there is some heavy nicotine yellow fringing on the vignette!

bataaard

• Rep: 42
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2021, 07:51:03 AM »
With the MK1 you can easily do 16:9 by zooming 130% in post OR just recently I added 4-5 spacers to make the fisheye so wide that when I activate the digital extender mode (uses only 50% of the middle of the sensor) I actually get perfect 16:9 footage in full 1080p no post zoom.

Hope this helps!

Hey ! can you share some pictures and the final render of your 16:9 fisheye videos ?
thanks a lot

InquisitiveGentleman

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2021, 11:06:15 AM »
What's up guys,

I actually adapted a MK1 on there, looks amazing.

Photo of setup -

Filmed a fun little project back in March while the snow was melting here in Canada.

Here are some clips

Full video -

This project was 4:3 so shot in 16:9 and then cropped in post.

Hope this helps!

Yo this was super helpful. I was so impressed with your edit and footage that I bought a Sony ax700. I plan to use it for long lens  Thanks for the info.

What kind of SD card do you use with the ax700? Is there a specific one you like?

DolceBlaze

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2021, 09:05:08 PM »
Thanks for the interest guys.

I'm using a 64gig Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mbs 3 UHC 3 class 10. Maybe check for recommended cards on Google.

As for the weight plate I'm using, it's just a 1.25 pound plate I had lying around. Got it off of Amazon a year ago or so. Could be lighter and probably work even better honestly, but this has been working out just fine.

As far as 16x9 fisheye examples using spacers and the digital extender mode, I have yet to film any footage as I've been working on 4:3 projects but here's a screenshot at the skatepark. I will post some footage when I get some. This is ISO3200 no camera light, pretty horrible conditions. As far as I can tell the quality is just a good with the digital extender mode and the fisheye keeps it's width. Vig is def softer though. Probably better at higher apertures, I will test more.