Author Topic: Best tools/items to use when fixing spots  (Read 894 times)

ondeezyst

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
Best tools/items to use when fixing spots
« on: December 26, 2020, 04:23:29 PM »
As the subject says I'm looking for the best bondo type material used to fix cracks fast, also what type of concrete should i use to get close to a skatepark finish? after you rub brick a spot what is the spray you use thats like a sealant? pics would be greatly appreciated

No comply

• Rep: -3
Re: Best tools/items to use when fixing spots
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 12:21:43 PM »
https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Bondo-Home-Solutions-1-qt-All-Purpose-Putty-20052/202077805
Here’s the bondo we’ve used.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/J-B-Weld-2-oz-SteelStik-8267/300136541
JB Weld or Gorilla epoxy lasts longer than bondo but much more expensive. It really depends on what you are doing.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/paint-and-supplies/stains-and-finishes/varnish/1615095
You have to brush this on but is way more durable, hard and fast. Spray lacquer gets grinded through almost immediately.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 27
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 07:19:28 PM »
Iíve used almost all clear coats out there and TBH it doesnít really matter that much. Both spray and roll on work fine and each have proís/cons. Which ever you use just be sure to put several coats and allow appropriate dry time.

Below is a thread discussing different clear coats and methods for making things grind. Some good suggestions in there.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114106.msg3444304#msg3444304

Idk what your budget is and this is a luxury, but if you can afford it a cordless angle grinder and a diamond grinding cup. BUT if you donít already own cordless tools and batteries it gets expensive.
I got about 50-60 ft of a ledge near the house grinded smooth and clear coated in 1 hour & 15 mins. Which is a plus if the spot your fixing is in a high traffic/populated area.

You can forgo the angle grinder and just use a rub brick, just takes longer and is very tiring if you got a lot of ledge to smooth out, especially solo.

For cracks on the ground bondo works great and lasts a long time if done right.  Iíve seen a lot of people use bondo to fill gaps and cracks in ledges but TBH if itís going to get grinded heavily it wonít last long itís not very hard. Steel stick is great for a spot that has a chunk missing or a small crack and holds up to grinding really well, but is expensive for large chunks/cracks.

Regarding bondo, it makes a huge fucking mess. Wear rubber gloves, old clothes and make sure you have something to mix it up in i buy disposable paint roller trays, something with a lip helps but you can use anything. Duct tape out where your bonding, get some painters sticks to scoop the shit out and mix with and some plastic putty knives to lay/spread it out how you need it.

Regarding concrete, it has nothing to do really with the type and everything to do with your technique. Just google how to get a smooth Finnish on concrete and study up. Your first time is not going to be as good as you want, but keep trying and practicing and youíll improve. Iím still not as good as some buddies but Iíve gotten decent.

biaherl

• Why So Sad
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 04:38:33 PM »
There are so many opinions that it is hard to pin down the best. It also depends on what you are trying to build or repair

One thing that I'd like to say about bondo is that it is formulated to be protected by paint.

So if you want your repair or crack fill to last longer you have to sand prime sand topcoat

I have over 20 years experience of working with bondo.

If you are a true DIYer and you've been building spots and you have all the tools the next thing to get is this

Get the same brand as your cordless drill so the batteries are interchangeable

Also spend a couple of bucks more on your caulking gun

For DIY videos I have to say that I like what Zach Dowdy has been doing. He's not a builder so he doesn't have the tools or all of the knowledge but he has spots throughout San Diego that have lasted for years. In his videos he shows his mistakes so it's more relatable to non builders and it shows that anyone can build a sic spot even someone with no experience

The best way to build a spot is with experience and the best way to get experience is to build a spot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MiwyEwqykg

fs1/2cab

• Rep: 52
    • a short part
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 10:38:19 AM »
Iíve used almost all clear coats out there and TBH it doesnít really matter that much. Both spray and roll on work fine and each have proís/cons. Which ever you use just be sure to put several coats and allow appropriate dry time.

Below is a thread discussing different clear coats and methods for making things grind. Some good suggestions in there.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114106.msg3444304#msg3444304

Idk what your budget is and this is a luxury, but if you can afford it a cordless angle grinder and a diamond grinding cup. BUT if you donít already own cordless tools and batteries it gets expensive.
I got about 50-60 ft of a ledge near the house grinded smooth and clear coated in 1 hour & 15 mins. Which is a plus if the spot your fixing is in a high traffic/populated area.

You can forgo the angle grinder and just use a rub brick, just takes longer and is very tiring if you got a lot of ledge to smooth out, especially solo.

For cracks on the ground bondo works great and lasts a long time if done right.  Iíve seen a lot of people use bondo to fill gaps and cracks in ledges but TBH if itís going to get grinded heavily it wonít last long itís not very hard. Steel stick is great for a spot that has a chunk missing or a small crack and holds up to grinding really well, but is expensive for large chunks/cracks.

Regarding bondo, it makes a huge fucking mess. Wear rubber gloves, old clothes and make sure you have something to mix it up in i buy disposable paint roller trays, something with a lip helps but you can use anything. Duct tape out where your bonding, get some painters sticks to scoop the shit out and mix with and some plastic putty knives to lay/spread it out how you need it.

Regarding concrete, it has nothing to do really with the type and everything to do with your technique. Just google how to get a smooth Finnish on concrete and study up. Your first time is not going to be as good as you want, but keep trying and practicing and youíll improve. Iím still not as good as some buddies but Iíve gotten decent.

This might be a dumb question, but what are steel sticks and can I get anything similar in Germany? I usually use concrete to fill cracks. Which is sometimes a bit of a struggle ^^ depends on the area.

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 11:57:33 AM »

biaherl

• Why So Sad
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 11:59:04 AM »
This might be a dumb question, but what are steel sticks and can I get anything similar in Germany? I usually use concrete to fill cracks. Which is sometimes a bit of a struggle ^^ depends on the area.

https://www.weicon.de/en/products/weicon-chemie/adhesives-and-sealants/2-component-adhesives-and-sealants/epoxy-resin-systems/repair-sticks/

fs1/2cab

• Rep: 52
    • a short part
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 11:48:07 AM »
Aaah I understand. Thanks a lot pals. :)

sbmfj

• Rep: 25
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 05:55:54 AM »
I tried Steel Sticks last night on a lcoal ledge. So impressed with the application, was really easy and the final result looks great. Will skate it tomorrow night.

Needed 2 tubes to get it done, and did it over 2 days. 25$ well spent (I hope it lasts!).

sbmfj

• Rep: 25
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: Today at 06:14:12 AM »
Steel Stix didnt work out as well as I thought it would. Maybe I didnt mix it up enough, but it was kinda soft, so we ripped it out and used this stuff instead. Other had used it in the past and it works fine. Dries hard as a rock. Dries out white though.

Cheaper too, by 2-3$.

https://www.oatey.com/products/oatey-fixit-stick-epoxy-putty-1829259701

Ill take a pic next time and repost.