Author Topic: Blue collar job  (Read 3816 times)

The real veganshawn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 81
  • What the fuck was that
Blue collar job
« on: December 29, 2020, 09:06:22 AM »
Anyone else work in a blue collar job? Just started unloading freight on a dock, hard but good work.
Cocteau Twins

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
Re: Blue collar job
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 09:14:31 AM »
I drive a pump truck and service portapotties. Most days my collar is actually blue.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 09:15:56 AM »
Yeah, some days are okay, but overall I fucking hate it.  Started buying lotto tickets recently.  Sometimes I daydream about being able to quit with zero notice and how incredible it would feel.  That’s not to say I’d prefer an office job, but if I never set foot on another filthy, cluttered job site I wouldn’t miss it one bit.

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 09:34:46 AM »
I work for a specialized moving company where we move elderly people into retirement communities. Lots of heavy lifting and I get to drive a big truck, I count that as blue collar. It's funny because business actually picked up quite a bit as soon as the quarantine started for some reason.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 10:09:11 AM »
I manage the facilities team for a 1.2 million square foot distribution center. We handle everything in the building and on the grounds. Worst part about my day is the morning management meeting, all the others trying to fluff up their days to sound super busy. My updates are like "we're fucking painting, fixing the bathroom over in that area, snow removal, and your teams broke like 5 forklifts that we'll be fixing. Then we'll stand around till something else breaks"

I'm in my office more than I'd like to be but still manage to walk 10+ miles a day while I'm here, between interior and exterior laps looking for projects we can do around.

Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 10:58:50 AM »
Did shitty jobs in the past, now I'm sitting on my ass all day. It is far more mentally demanding now but I don't miss the factory shit at all.

Hope y'all find something better.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 11:12:33 AM »
Was a welder in my early 20s, but now I’m working in a chemical plant as an operator... 8 years almost now.

But yeah wouldn’t mind moving into engineering or something... dcs/board operatoring is too much stress for only a few more dollars an hour. Here at least...

Years of lower back abuse from this craft is starting to rear its ugly head though.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 01:53:43 PM »
worked for a guy with a small yard maintenance/handyman company for a while in between "tech" type jobs about 5 years back. driving around in a shitty little truck, sweating my ass off and cutting 25 yards or building a deck from 7am-4pm sounds shitty but i still stand by that being the best shape my brain has ever been in. no cell phone all day, working hard, solving problems, insane amount of exercise and sweat. ive been sitting on my ass for 5 years and i miss it, but i make like 4x per hour and i could never survive long term on that type of pay unless i owned my own little company.

i hear blue collar jobs are going to be in very high demand over the next decade. if i were young i'd strongly consider a trade.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 02:58:17 PM »
worked for a guy with a small yard maintenance/handyman company for a while in between "tech" type jobs about 5 years back. driving around in a shitty little truck, sweating my ass off and cutting 25 yards or building a deck from 7am-4pm sounds shitty but i still stand by that being the best shape my brain has ever been in. no cell phone all day, working hard, solving problems, insane amount of exercise and sweat. ive been sitting on my ass for 5 years and i miss it, but i make like 4x per hour and i could never survive long term on that type of pay unless i owned my own little company.

i hear blue collar jobs are going to be in very high demand over the next decade. if i were young i'd strongly consider a trade.

I back this, I worked in logistics as a freight broker for about four years, and I made some pretty good money. But sitting at a desk all day getting stressed over shit you can’t control is not a way to live. I quit that job and got another sales job and was fired after about 3 months and decided to go to truck driving school.

Best decision I’ve made in terms of my career. It’s so easy to get a job if you have a cdl it’s laughable. You can quit one job and get hired by another on your drive home. And it’s good money. With a cdl you’re guaranteed about a grand a week.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 03:51:40 PM »
im an aristocrat and socialite. i breed racehorses and compete in sartorial competitions.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 03:55:05 PM »
nah im stuck workin like its the 1920s just like all yall fools

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2020, 04:46:54 PM »
went from doing farm work to working in schools. While working with kids was great, being inside all day, under fluorescent lights left me feeling awful and in poor physical condition. I quit that after a while and went back to the farm but my body was thrashed from the sedentary life of working in a school and it caught up with me so I figured physical work was a wrap. So I started working on an MSW degree, which is cool and all, but doing therapy with folks is a desk sorta gig. After a lot of rehabilitation the body is on point and I'm doing odd work on the side, digging holes, building shit, learning to do some auto mechanics. I'm going to finish the degree but am already contemplating a solar certification upon completion. It's a way to make good dough, work for myself, and use the solar knowledge to fuel my home and projects.

If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2020, 04:49:53 PM »
I too am in Facilities Management.

If you have any desire working with your hands I highly recommend working the shitty/fun jobs till you build some experience and then get yourself a government job in Facilities Management.

Imagine never having to worry about how you are going to make money after 60 because of your pension

Moving boxes can quickly turn into a $100k+ government job in procurement with a retirement plan

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2020, 05:30:47 PM »

If you have any desire working with your hands I highly recommend working the shitty/fun jobs till you build some experience and then get yourself a government job in Facilities Management.

Imagine never having to worry about how you are going to make money after 60 because of your pension

Moving boxes can quickly turn into a $100k+ government job in procurement with a retirement plan
This amazing. If anyone can tell me how to parlay being a letter carrier to a better government job, I'm all ears.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2020, 08:08:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
This amazing. If anyone can tell me how to parlay being a letter carrier to a better government job, I'm all ears.

can't say it's a better job but my aunts husband was a postal maintenance worker. Dude drove around picking up mailboxes that needed to be painted and retired at 55 or so. I'm not saying it's ok, but he definitely acquired multiple off duty DUIs during this period, was able to keep his job and has a pretty legit pension lined up. Dude worked regular hours and had weekends/holidays off. might be worth checking out since you're already in the system.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2020, 08:15:10 PM »
Ive been doing landscaping/garden maintenence for the past 11 years.... did my trade 21 to 25 and since then have been working qualified...its nice somedays, other days its just a paycheque

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2020, 05:24:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I should have mentioned that I'm in California where a 100k job might be a 60-80k job somewhere else

First you have to watch this video or read the book
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o-hnbvMYcM

The way through government is to get your foot in. Being a letter carrier you can easily get a shipping a receiving job for any State, City or Authority

Once you show that you arrive to work on time everyday with no call ins, you're likable and prove yourself as a valued employee you can apply for the next promotion

HR almost always puts in the words "with equivalent experience" in most jobs application, that's how they say we'll promote you if we like you and that's how you get around not having a degree. If you go to school (that they will pay for) even better.

If they don't like you then move onto the next job. If you stay 3-5 to 10 years (depending on the job or place) you get vested into their retirement planned are guaranteed some money at age 65

Governments like to hire people with government experience

A shipping receiving job at my work could easily turn into a purchaser job in 5 years and that's how you go from 70k to 100k. But first you've got to get your foot in the door

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2020, 05:58:25 PM »
When I started this account, I was a custodian at an elementary school. Loved that job. I worked the evening shift so only saw students for the first couple of hours. I got along great with the principal, most teachers, staff, and especially my fellow custodian who handled the back part of the school. During this time, I was also wrapping up school (University). They knew I would move on once I was done with school, since my background was working with individuals with intellectual disabilities and that's what I wanted to do for a living (Social Work). Job was definitely physically draining but helped with keeping me in shape. I walked so much while carrying around a vacuum in the form of a backpack for the first couple of hours of the shift. I cleaned about 20 classrooms, some offices, staff restrooms, and two sets of kindergarten restrooms. Kinder classrooms were the worst but can't complain, kept me busy. Hardly any time to slack off. My boss left me alone and I probably saw him about five times in the two years I worked there. I let my work do the talking and I took pride in cleaning the hell out of those classrooms. Made some great friends that I still keep in touch with. Most students were great and often followed me around since I was the "skater" custodian. I didn't wear a uniform but dressed comfortably, often with skate related hats (Brixton, Thrasher, DLX brands, etc.). I also schooled the older kids in tech deck. I miss that job, great pay, but am happy doing social work now. Office setting (currently working from home), excellent pay, benefits, but mentally draining.

Dinglenuts

• Rep: 2
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2020, 06:12:20 PM »
When I started this account, I was a custodian at an elementary school. Loved that job. I worked the evening shift so only saw students for the first couple of hours. I got along great with the principal, most teachers, staff, and especially my fellow custodian who handled the back part of the school. During this time, I was also wrapping up school (University). They knew I would move on once I was done with school, since my background was working with individuals with intellectual disabilities and that's what I wanted to do for a living (Social Work). Job was definitely physically draining but helped with keeping me in shape. I walked so much while carrying around a vacuum in the form of a backpack for the first couple of hours of the shift. I cleaned about 20 classrooms, some offices, staff restrooms, and two sets of kindergarten restrooms. Kinder classrooms were the worst but can't complain, kept me busy. Hardly any time to slack off. My boss left me alone and I probably saw him about five times in the two years I worked there. I let my work do the talking and I took pride in cleaning the hell out of those classrooms. Made some great friends that I still keep in touch with. Most students were great and often followed me around since I was the "skater" custodian. I didn't wear a uniform but dressed comfortably, often with skate related hats (Brixton, Thrasher, DLX brands, etc.). I also schooled the older kids in tech deck. I miss that job, great pay, but am happy doing social work now. Office setting (currently working from home), excellent pay, benefits, but mentally draining.
Ha you just described my life!

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2020, 06:26:56 PM »
     Union plumber. Started 4 years ago at 27 doing plumbing, heating and ac. Went union in October. Only regrets are not starting a trade sooner and not going union sooner.
      I did almost 4 years of college while living at home and working near part time while never once whiffing a desire to work behind a desk (I know that’s not all college is about) and never found anything in school interesting. Got good grades, never chose a major or got a degree.
     Learned more about business by tending/managing a bar than any class, and my patrons always made better teachers whether they knew it or not. Tried to open a grab and go breakfast spot but couldn’t get a location I wanted so I went to work for a cousin I barely knew who was a master plumber for a medium size company.
     Almost died of heat stroke changing acs in attics for elderly people. Worked in freezing dark basements doing steam boilers and worked in crawl spaces to cut out shit pipes and the like. Long days followed by night classes in winter to go towards getting my license. Those were the hardest days of course, in the union it’s mostly new construction now.
     I fucking love working hard and going to bed tired. My shower is always filthy. My knees are more calloused than a blowjob joke. I genuinely believe that my work protects the health of the nation and I’m always learning something new. I cannot recommend trades enough for anyone young or old. Without them we’d literally be living in the stone ages and I would personally still be looking for fulfillment

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2020, 07:30:10 PM »
That’s rad but aren’t all the old plumbers basically cripples?
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2020, 08:04:03 PM »
     Union plumber. Started 4 years ago at 27 doing plumbing, heating and ac. Went union in October. Only regrets are not starting a trade sooner and not going union sooner.
      I did almost 4 years of college while living at home and working near part time while never once whiffing a desire to work behind a desk (I know that’s not all college is about) and never found anything in school interesting. Got good grades, never chose a major or got a degree.
     Learned more about business by tending/managing a bar than any class, and my patrons always made better teachers whether they knew it or not. Tried to open a grab and go breakfast spot but couldn’t get a location I wanted so I went to work for a cousin I barely knew who was a master plumber for a medium size company.
     Almost died of heat stroke changing acs in attics for elderly people. Worked in freezing dark basements doing steam boilers and worked in crawl spaces to cut out shit pipes and the like. Long days followed by night classes in winter to go towards getting my license. Those were the hardest days of course, in the union it’s mostly new construction now.
     I fucking love working hard and going to bed tired. My shower is always filthy. My knees are more calloused than a blowjob joke. I genuinely believe that my work protects the health of the nation and I’m always learning something new. I cannot recommend trades enough for anyone young or old. Without them we’d literally be living in the stone ages and I would personally still be looking for fulfillment

hell yeah brother

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2020, 10:28:33 PM »
I worked in manufacturing while I was in grad school. My job consisted of operating a laser that etched the foam rubber inserts of pushstamps. I would sometimes ink the stamps if someone was out.

I enjoyed all the shit talking and wearing dickies 24/7, but the pay was fucking terrible.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2020, 10:19:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I back this, I worked in logistics as a freight broker for about four years, and I made some pretty good money. But sitting at a desk all day getting stressed over shit you can’t control is not a way to live. I quit that job and got another sales job and was fired after about 3 months and decided to go to truck driving school.

Best decision I’ve made in terms of my career. It’s so easy to get a job if you have a cdl it’s laughable. You can quit one job and get hired by another on your drive home. And it’s good money. With a cdl you’re guaranteed about a grand a week.

I got a buddy that does hot shot driving... he’s home super early everyday... and I think he’s even breeding dogs (or was) with his spare time. So i def see what you’re saying.

I did groundskeeper work in between jobs about a decade ago. That was a fun gig... i regret not retaining all of that knowledge being a homeowner now though. Especially with lawn care.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Gary Bucket

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2020, 12:45:36 PM »
That’s rad but aren’t all the old plumbers basically cripples?

Haha absolutely. Those guys are legends, we do everything we can to help the older guys on our jobs. Times are changing though, technology has changed the game for materials we use like PVC instead of cast iron. PPE is everywhere and often mandatory. And as a union member we get safety training and equipment and the best health insurance in the country.
     I love being hands but I’ve had foreman-like roles already in my young career and my goal is to turn more towards specialty and design so I get to do more problem solving because thats what I enjoy. Wrenching gas pipe all day is as good as any workout I’ve ever had though!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2021, 05:21:24 AM »
went from doing farm work to working in schools. While working with kids was great, being inside all day, under fluorescent lights left me feeling awful and in poor physical condition. I quit that after a while and went back to the farm but my body was thrashed from the sedentary life of working in a school and it caught up with me so I figured physical work was a wrap. So I started working on an MSW degree, which is cool and all, but doing therapy with folks is a desk sorta gig. After a lot of rehabilitation the body is on point and I'm doing odd work on the side, digging holes, building shit, learning to do some auto mechanics. I'm going to finish the degree but am already contemplating a solar certification upon completion. It's a way to make good dough, work for myself, and use the solar knowledge to fuel my home and projects.

Funny you say that about being inside under florescent lights compared to being outside and more active.  It definitely makes a difference, even just the small muscle stretches whenever possible helped so much to get up and then get out to do more than just sit at a desk.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

garthblader

• Rep: 4
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2021, 08:05:35 AM »
I went to welding school a few years ago and did it professionally four about 4 years.  I left to return to school to pursue a design degree.  I ended up realizing that was not for me.  I start Diesel mechanic school here in March and I can't be more stoked.  Working with your hands is awesome, being tired after work because you were using your body instead of me being tired from sitting in a chair all day is a no brainer. 

Also the shit talking and cool folks I met in weld shops and garages have been some of the funniest and nicest people I have ever worked with. 

Gary Bucket

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2021, 01:55:12 PM »
I went to welding school a few years ago and did it professionally four about 4 years.  I left to return to school to pursue a design degree.  I ended up realizing that was not for me.  I start Diesel mechanic school here in March and I can't be more stoked.  Working with your hands is awesome, being tired after work because you were using your body instead of me being tired from sitting in a chair all day is a no brainer. 

Also the shit talking and cool folks I met in weld shops and garages have been some of the funniest and nicest people I have ever worked with.

Welding looks like an absolute blast. Obviously much different but I enjoy the shit out of a good braze or solder joint. I plan on taking a welding class next year, any sage advice?

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2021, 04:30:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Welding looks like an absolute blast. Obviously much different but I enjoy the shit out of a good braze or solder joint. I plan on taking a welding class next year, any sage advice?

Heat management

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2021, 05:25:04 PM »
I do landscaping. My legs are in bits.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in