Author Topic: Blue collar job  (Read 3815 times)

Dr-Feelgood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
Re: Blue collar job
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2021, 02:59:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Ive been doing landscaping/garden maintenence for the past 11 years.... did my trade 21 to 25 and since then have been working qualified...its nice somedays, other days its just a paycheque
[close]

Me too man. I like it but the weather can really suck in Ireland.

Money ain't amazing either. I used to do tech sales for Oracle, Salesforce and a few others for years and make way more but I was miserable.

Where are you doing it ?

Australia, i get to melt in the summer time haha but its not too bad, if it gets too hot my company is pretty good with letting us chill it out

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2021, 03:03:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ive been doing landscaping/garden maintenence for the past 11 years.... did my trade 21 to 25 and since then have been working qualified...its nice somedays, other days its just a paycheque
[close]

Money ain't amazing either. I used to do tech sales for Oracle, Salesforce and a few others for years and make way more but I was miserable.

Where are you doing it ?
[close]

Australia, i get to melt in the summer time haha but its not too bad, if it gets too hot my company is pretty good with letting us chill it out

I know the feeling. I used to do roofing in Darwin.

I've never felt the heat... Like the heat on those roofs.. fuck me it was hot.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Surf The Earth

• Rep: 19
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2021, 03:28:51 PM »
I work in a warehouse at an electric supply company. Shipping/receiving, fork lift, all that. I really like it. It can get hectic and all but it's good pay. The owner used to skate so he built this insane skatepark upstairs. Unfortunately no one ever skates it because it's right above the sales office and they hate how loud it is. The Bowl is sick though.
Proverbs 27:17

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2021, 03:32:50 PM »
i used to work at a wood shop building sets for photoshoots and installing them for almost no money. Did that for about 4 years and then i figured out how to transition to being the person that gets the sets made for companies, which is a prop stylist, and now i have transitioned into producing photoshoots. Kind of funny how it worked out.

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2021, 05:49:17 PM »
I work in a warehouse at an electric supply company. Shipping/receiving, fork lift, all that. I really like it. It can get hectic and all but it's good pay. The owner used to skate so he built this insane skatepark upstairs. Unfortunately no one ever skates it because it's right above the sales office and they hate how loud it is. The Bowl is sick though.

that sounds sick, got any pics of the skatepark?

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2021, 10:22:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Where are you doing it ?
[close]

[close]

I know the feeling. I used to do roofing in Darwin.

I've never felt the heat... Like the heat on those roofs.. fuck me it was hot.

Australias probably the best place to live if you wanna get into this industry, being able to work year round and know that you will always have work is good. I lived in Vancouver for 4-5 years and man in the winter it was tough

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

Surf The Earth

• Rep: 19
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2021, 05:29:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

that sounds sick, got any pics of the skatepark?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 05:37:37 AM by Surf The Earth »
Proverbs 27:17

Crailslideyoface

« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2021, 01:27:44 AM »
Been an autoworker for the past 6 years
Getting cucked by your hero on acid is TIGHT.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2021, 09:22:26 PM »
I do general handyman work with my dad but specialize in hanging drywall and mudding. Lot of people hate it but i think it's pretty easy because I've been helping my old man since i was 16.

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2021, 12:39:09 PM »
I do general handyman work with my dad but specialize in hanging drywall and mudding. Lot of people hate it but i think it's pretty easy because I've been helping my old man since i was 16.

Story time! I installed central ac in the finished attic in my old house. Framing, taping and mudding 35’ of kneewall and a couple soffits was the most fun I had the whole project. Smooth inside 45s and pointed corner beads are so satisfying. I watched Ben Degros’ carpentry channel for months before noticing scuffed up skate shoes and finding his skate channel which contributed to me picking the board up again

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2021, 07:35:17 AM »
There's nothing like a smooth 45 degree angle

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2021, 05:27:22 PM »
There's nothing like a smooth 45 degree angle

A smooth 135 degree angle?

poop22

• Rep: -2
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2021, 11:27:56 AM »
Is the restaurant business considered blue collar? On your feet 15 hours straight no breaks getting screamed at for little pay. I’m surprised no other dudes have posted up in here about that lol

Anyways, I’m a sous chef at a pretty high end restaurant. When service is good it’s awesome when it’s not my entire life sucks. My mental health pretty much depends on how well the restaurant is doing. If it’s my day off I still get emails from purveyors or reviews so I’m never truly not working. The thing is that I love it somehow. It’s like being in a relationship with a girl you know is bad for you but you just can’t leave. I’ve been in the business for about 10 years now and I can’t imagine doing anything else. Side note, parking garage at my work has a perfect curb and a little 3 stair. I session it before work some days.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2021, 12:16:25 PM »
Is the restaurant business considered blue collar? On your feet 15 hours straight no breaks getting screamed at for little pay. I’m surprised no other dudes have posted up in here about that lol

Anyways, I’m a sous chef at a pretty high end restaurant. When service is good it’s awesome when it’s not my entire life sucks. My mental health pretty much depends on how well the restaurant is doing. If it’s my day off I still get emails from purveyors or reviews so I’m never truly not working. The thing is that I love it somehow. It’s like being in a relationship with a girl you know is bad for you but you just can’t leave. I’ve been in the business for about 10 years now and I can’t imagine doing anything else. Side note, parking garage at my work has a perfect curb and a little 3 stair. I session it before work some days.

I feel like the service industry is among the most misunderstood forms of labor. I’ve done it, shit is brutal, couldn’t imagine doing it for 10 years.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2021, 12:46:09 PM »
Was the 4th employee at a roofdeck pedestal company when it started. Not they are up to 60+ employees. Really enjoyed the engineering of new products and developing the qc department. Thought I'd retire from there, but after 15 years, had to leave to move back east (new kid, wife, and Dad's stage 4 cancer)
Starting over after 40 in the I81 warehouse corridor of appalachia, the opportunities are few and far.
Got lucky and landed a union gig operating a vinyl siding extruder making 50-75% more than most jobs in the area. Hated the 12 hr night shifts and 66+ hr work weeks. Last week I finally moved to Day shift and it's a blessing. Less hours early, and much more time at home.  This is my first union gig. Not a fan really. I'm off rather get promoted for my work, not see a lazy hump get the shot because he got hired a few months before me.
Making 100+ a year in Denver I couldn't afford a nice home. I make almost as much back east now, and will have my home paid in 5 years total. The house I paid sub 200k for in rural MD would cost 500+ easy in Colorado.  And I can catch the Marc to Bmore, redline to DC real easy and quick.

garthblader

• Rep: 4
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2021, 06:41:50 PM »
Was the 4th employee at a roofdeck pedestal company when it started. Not they are up to 60+ employees. Really enjoyed the engineering of new products and developing the qc department. Thought I'd retire from there, but after 15 years, had to leave to move back east (new kid, wife, and Dad's stage 4 cancer)
Starting over after 40 in the I81 warehouse corridor of appalachia, the opportunities are few and far.
Got lucky and landed a union gig operating a vinyl siding extruder making 50-75% more than most jobs in the area. Hated the 12 hr night shifts and 66+ hr work weeks. Last week I finally moved to Day shift and it's a blessing. Less hours early, and much more time at home.  This is my first union gig. Not a fan really. I'm off rather get promoted for my work, not see a lazy hump get the shot because he got hired a few months before me.
Making 100+ a year in Denver I couldn't afford a nice home. I make almost as much back east now, and will have my home paid in 5 years total. The house I paid sub 200k for in rural MD would cost 500+ easy in Colorado.  And I can catch the Marc to Bmore, redline to DC real easy and quick.

It's crazy living in Denver making a good living knowing I will never be able to buy a house even remotely close to work/anything I like to do.  Back in Vermont with what I was making as a welder in Stapleton I could afford a nice house in a beautiful spot. Out here I could live almost to Colorado Springs in a pop up neighborhood for 400k.  No thanks.