Author Topic: Wildland Firefighting  (Read 819 times)

RENTSTRIKE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
Wildland Firefighting
« on: December 22, 2020, 07:30:36 PM »
SHALOM!!

Over the years I've noticed that a few PALS work or have worked as wildland firefighters. I submitted quite a few applications for entry level (GS3) forestry aid/technician jobs this month through USAJOBS, both with engine crews and hand crews with the forest service and BLM. Started calling FSO's last week and have had a few great conversations and learned a lot already, which has made me want the job even more!

Any advice on the application process, physical training (I've been running 4 days a week, 5 miles Tuesday, 7 miles Thursday, 10-12 miles Saturday, and 3-4 miles Sunday at about 7 minute/mile pace for the past few months, surfing, and doing yoga and bodyweight workouts 4 days a week since the start of lockdown back in March), and what to expect would be much appreciated! I have a feeling I'll have to put in a lot of work making the case for myself on these calls, because I've worked what is essentially a desk job at a nonprofit for the past 3 years and am concerned that I'm older than a lot of applicants (I'm 26, turning 27 in August). I'll really take all the help/advice I can get. Also considering trying to take the s130 and s190 online, if I can find a class. Some of the FSO's I've spoken with have recommended getting trained up ahead of time to make myself more marketable, and others have said not to worry about it because all rookies are required to take the course when they get hired on at the start of the season.

Any tips, stories from the field, or books/online resources to check out would be rad. Thanks in advance, pals!

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Wildland Firefighting
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 10:15:50 AM »
@brycickle is probably the best poster regarding this..
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

RENTSTRIKE

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 06:18:54 PM »
@brycickle is probably the best poster regarding this..

Thanks! I didn't realize he still posted, but I remember his posts from when I lurked back in the day. He was a gnarly long distance cyclist too, right?

Brycickle, if you're out there, I don't want to bug you but feel free to PM or let me know what's up.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 08:55:58 PM »
26 miles of running a week. Sounds like you've been dedicated to getting into good shape. Congrats. Good luck.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 12:11:21 AM »
During the fire seasons from 02-05 I worked on a hand crew up in big bear, CA. Would do that for half a year, make a buttload of money by 21 year old standards, n go have fun till next fire season. During the off season would basically skate everywhere around southern CA living outta my car, couch surfing, going to shows, and just being a total pile.

Didn’t  have to really apply anywhere. The community college where I grew up offered this wildland  firefighting course that was just on weekends for a couple of months. They would just teach common sense and at the end of the semester there was a written test. Then the physical test was all of us had to do a 3 mile hike with a 50lb backpack in 45 minutes. It wasn’t hard, big guys who I thought wouldn’t finish it pulled it off. After that we all had jobs in the Forrest service for the next 6 months or so.

In a hand crew it was like u get dropped off at the base of a mountain, then u take an hour or two to hike up it with all your gear to the fire, then once you’ve reached that tired as all hell then u start actually working.

Once u get your foot in the door it’s easier to get to an engine or a hot shot crew through networking but we were basically overpaid landscapers until a fire broke out, then we would mop it up, they would feed us pollo loco n Gatorade, n we would go home. If we stayed out late from working on a fire they would put us up in a hotel n take us to Denny’s in the morning.

Skating was hard to do because of working 12-16 hour days. We would work for two weeks have two days off then back again for two more weeks. If we were late by a minute we were told not to come back till the two weeks were over.

Lot of one of a kind experiences doin that gig. Good luck .

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 10:13:46 AM »
Give me some time to formulate my thoughts, and I'll get back to you.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 11:49:29 PM »
About a year ago, took an emt refresher course & met a dude who was apart of a hot shot crew. Very respectable & humble hombre. Said he was living in his truck for the summer & surfing all over the coast. Also, recently watched Only The Brave. Good film however sad outcome for the crew. This post not very helpful however recommend to not underestimate yourself by worrying about your age. Sounds like you're motivated & ready to embark on this new journey. Good luck   

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 02:12:20 PM »
SHALOM!!

Over the years I've noticed that a few PALS work or have worked as wildland firefighters. I submitted quite a few applications for entry level (GS3) forestry aid/technician jobs this month through USAJOBS, both with engine crews and hand crews with the forest service and BLM. Started calling FSO's last week and have had a few great conversations and learned a lot already, which has made me want the job even more!

Any advice on the application process, physical training (I've been running 4 days a week, 5 miles Tuesday, 7 miles Thursday, 10-12 miles Saturday, and 3-4 miles Sunday at about 7 minute/mile pace for the past few months, surfing, and doing yoga and bodyweight workouts 4 days a week since the start of lockdown back in March), and what to expect would be much appreciated! I have a feeling I'll have to put in a lot of work making the case for myself on these calls, because I've worked what is essentially a desk job at a nonprofit for the past 3 years and am concerned that I'm older than a lot of applicants (I'm 26, turning 27 in August). I'll really take all the help/advice I can get. Also considering trying to take the s130 and s190 online, if I can find a class. Some of the FSO's I've spoken with have recommended getting trained up ahead of time to make myself more marketable, and others have said not to worry about it because all rookies are required to take the course when they get hired on at the start of the season.

Any tips, stories from the field, or books/online resources to check out would be rad. Thanks in advance, pals!

So, here it goes. First off, don't worry about your age. I was 29 when I worked my first season on an engine. A lot of times they like the older guys/gals, because you have different life experiences than the normal person that gets into this at 18.

When I got into it, I was already in a structural fire protection degree at a community college, and it was a non credit class that was offered for free by the state at my college (130/190), and it interested me. In the midst of the class, I applied for a bunch of jobs, with no real clue or direction of how to get one, other than that I was already an EMT. Basically, I stumbled into it and got lucky that someone took a chance on me.

You sound like you're off to a good start as far as calling people go. That's super important, even though most of the people you talk to will not be the ones making the final decision on whether you get hired or not. That decision ultimately gets made in Albuquerque by people who probably have no fire line experience. That said, they do have influence. My first season I didn't call anyone, and just got lucky that someone picked me up (part of having no clue what the fuck I was doing), but my third season, when I moved away from my first forest, I called all of my top picks about once a week, just to check in for a month or two, then about every two weeks. The key is to show interest, but not be annoying. Ask them about their program, what kinds of fire do they see, what kind of terrain do they operate in, what their prescribed fire program is like, and after a while, just ask them how they are doing.

As far as your PT is going with the running, I would say that you should cut down on your long runs. Some crews are run heavy, and some crews are hike heavy as far as PT goes, but for you in the preseason, don't take the risk of getting a stress fracture. I think the better option would be to keep your short run days down to 3-5 miles, and your long run days to 5-7. If you can run those "shorter" distances, you can take anything they will throw at you. Also, make sure that hills are included in your runs, and try to fit sprint intervals in there as well. Most of wildland fire is hurry up and wait, with short burst energy thrown in. As a part of your calls though, ask the crews what their PT program is, and build yourself up around that. If you live near to where you are applying, ask them if you can go meet up with them and PT. This is another good way to see where you should be, plus, they get to know who you are, and see what you may or may not be capable of, and where you can improve.

Personally, I would say that if you have access to an in person 130/190 class you should take it, though it's up to you if you want to pay for it. Some programs will offer the class for rookies and some won't, so I say don't take a chance on it. It will show that you have initiative and are willing to work towards getting the job as well, even if they make you retake it on their own program.

The other super important thing is: invest in legit boots and socks. I bought a pair of White's before my first season, and one of the other rookies bought a pair of some off brand bullshit, and he was bummed he did, especially on our first roll, when he actually had to work 16s for 2 weeks. Other great brands  are Nick's, Drew's and JK. That part is mostly personal preference, and just coming into it, I made my decision over the overall reputation of White's. I didn't get mine custom, but all of those boot companies will build your boots based on your foot, if you mail in your "dimensions". Check your website for that. That said, these boots are super expensive, but I feel, this is 100% worth it. Good boots mean that you get to walk. If you can't walk, you can't work, and you don't get paid. And socks. I went on every roll with 28 pairs of socks. 14 thin liner socks, and 14 thick socks. Always wool. I used to pairs at once, because then the socks would rub against each other and not against my skin. Never had a blister. BREAK IN YOUR BOOTS BEFORE YOU GET TO YOUR WORK CENTER. And by this I mean, hike in them, walk in them just wear them. Don't do any dumb shit like fill them with water and freeze them, or get in the tub with them on and walk around with them on until they dry. Just wear them. You do not want to break in your boots on the job.

Last, but not least: learn how to embrace the suck. It's hard labor, in dirty conditions, with no luxuries. If you love doing cool guy shit with your buddies, then that won't bother you, but if you need a bed to sleep, this job ain't for you.

Honestly, it's my favorite job that I have ever had, and if I could go back and talk to my high school self, I would tell myself to start at 18 and work until my knees said "no more". Ultimately, like anything else, you get out of it what you put in. You'll always remember it though, whether you put in 1 season, or 20.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 02:16:25 PM »
I forgot to say, be willing to go work somewhere that no one wants to live. By that, I mean the middle of nowhere. Everybody wants to work on the Angeles NF, because it's close to the city. Nobody wants to work on the Klamath, because it's in the middle of nothing (and other reasons too). Because of that, the applicant pool for remote work stations is much smaller and you'll stand out much more.

RENTSTRIKE

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 10:12:21 AM »
Thank you, @Brycickle and @AitchBeeGayBuh I really, really appreciate all of the information, as well as the encouraging words from all of the shalomies who have turned up in this thread.

Funny enough, most of the great calls that I mentioned in my first post were from FMO's in Klamath and other areas in rural Oregon -- call me a romantic, but those areas really started to win me over after doing a bit of research. I'm a bit of a hermit and am really interested in the remoteness and geographical diversity of southern/southwestern oregon.

Does it make sense to wait until next week to start making more follow up calls? I want to be respectful of peoples' time with their families this week, especially because December/January seems like the only downtime folks get.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 12:04:11 PM »
I would say that if you've already contacted some folks, it's should be fine to wait. They probably won't be in the offices anyway until after the first of the year.

Just remember, the Klamath is the flattest ground you've ever seen.  Straight up and down.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 326
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 07:24:24 PM »
I meant to chime in sooner, congrats @RENTSTRIKE !!!

Most of the best advice has already had light shed onto it, but let's keep it going.

Boot talk: Be ready to hear some arguments about boots. When purchasing, many of the listed brands (Nick's, Whites, etc.) offer a federal/state service discount. Inquire about it and it may save you 50$ or so. Rub your feet everyday, I like lacrosse balls for this.

Sock talk: Double down. Your outer should be merino wool (I like smart wool), and I use a silk liner like these https://www.rei.com/product/165407/rei-co-op-silk-liner-crew-socks?sku=1654070003&store=77&cm_mmc=PLA_Google%7C21700000001700551_1654070003%7C92700058177019933%7CPB%7C71700000074421593&gclid=CjwKCAiA57D_BRAZEiwAZcfCxd7EgBEGRrxyY5LE_ADEsauSk7asRavgQxhwluVEQ-pIAq2rW2ovuxoCoNEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds They wont stink as quick.

Remote/Rural/PNW: Most of the that region is privately owned by timber companies such as Green Diamond and Sierra Pacific industries. The real weird parts are Northeast California, Eastern Oregon, and adjacent. There is more public land out that way, very little occupation, and is more remote than the west. I've had mixed success asking for permission to private lands by explaining my employment to gain entry. There are tweakers everywhere that will break into your truck when you go explore. Nothing is safe. Beyond that the Klamath region is an absolute gem though. This book isn't out yet, but the page has a bunch of rad info about it https://backcountrypress.com/klamath/

If you don't like your region: Hold out strong for your entire term/season. It is much easier to transfer after completing a season if you stick it through versus quitting early in hopes of trying again somewhere else.

Poison oak: This takes out more people than you would think. If you know you get it bad, be ready with some tecnu et. seq., and it wouldn't hurt to hit your doctor up ahead of time for some prescription steroids. If you don't know if you're susceptible, don't experiment. Always start the shower a little cold with no soap and get a pre-rinse in. If anyone wants to talk more about this, holler at me.

We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.