Author Topic: Looking for video camera advice.  (Read 3753 times)

InquisitiveGentleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Looking for video camera advice.
« on: December 31, 2020, 08:54:43 AM »
Hello everybody,
     I am new to Slap. I have searched for video camera information in the Slap search tool and on google. If the information I am inquiring about is available on this site please direct me to it. If not then here is my question.
     I am looking for a video camera that costs around $500. Ideally, it would be HD with a hard drive or SD card feature. I do not want to do tapes. Does anybody have any recommendations? 
     I am not looking to become a professional filmer or make a professional skate video. I am more of a skateboarder than a filmer and would not use one of those high production cameras to their capabilities. I just want another tool to make a homie skate video. I currently have the gopro9 and that´s been working for fisheye/lines.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
Re: Looking for video camera advice.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 10:04:53 AM »
In that case you might want to try and look for a cheap hvx200 or if you can find a hpx170 under 500$. But then you gotta remember you will be filming long lens until you buy a fisheye. Depending on what one you decide to get, it might break the bank (if you can find an xtreme) Both the hvx200 and the hpx170 film on p2 cards. You could also look into getting a HMC150 that films on an SD card. But can't seem to find any for that price range..

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 10:42:15 PM »
Your best bet is a dslr for that price. I use a canon t3i  and rokinon 3.5mm fisheye. That and a kit lens and you’ll have a decent start. For $500 you should be able to get everything (batteries, SD cards, bag, handle etc) You won’t be able to zoom like you can on a standard Panasonic or VX camera though. You can, but it takes a bit of practice and is a pain IMO tbh.

Down the road you can get an Panasonic when you got more dough.

PM me if you wanna see footage.

Edit: Ok maybe not everything you need for $500 but definitely the camera and lenses. Just search eBay for a good deal.

kshuvv123

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 02:29:49 AM »
im looking to get a hmc40. is that a good hvx alternative? https://www.ebay.com/itm/PANASONIC-AG-HMC40P-3MOS-HD-PROFESSIONAL-AVCCAM/154264051876?epid=1308761198&hash=item23eadaa0a4:g:ZDcAAOSwGqFf6B62    This was the one i was looking to get, does anyone know if this one is good.

nolliecrooked

• Rep: -23
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 04:41:46 AM »
as you're not looking to be professional or anything, get a cheap dslr and a cheap fisheye, you could have a simple long lens that comes with the camera and the fisheye, film HD and could also shoot photos, so you could register a lot of things and have fun while having good enough quality, I have no idea about prices tho, I'm from Brasil, covid fucked the prices here lol, but ask around about dslrs, theres some cheap ones!

HernyB

• Rep: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 05:55:30 AM »
For that price, I would go with a small handycam type camcorder, not a Panasonic HVX/HPX/HMC or a DSLR/Mirrorless.

You won't be able to find one of the panasonics that cheap, maybe an HVX. 

You could get a dslr set up for that price, but then you don't have access to electronic zoom so you are kinda stuck filming fisheye all the time.

I'm not sure about mirrorless cameras in that price range; there are mirrorless lenses with electronic zoom but again for $500 its unlikely you get a camera + fisheye + zoom + microphone + handle.

InquisitiveGentleman

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 10:24:43 AM »
I appreciate everybody's input. Those Panasonics look great but are out of my price range. Being able to zoom is a pretty important feature for me. Henry, I am looking into Sony Handycams. I am interested in these HandyCam models, the FDR-AX33, FDR-AX43, CX675 Handycam. Used models of those are in my price range.

Does anybody have any experience with any of those handycams? Once again, thanks to everybody for the advice.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 11:22:23 AM »
hit up a pawnshop or two, you will come up on somebody's unfulfilled dream in the form of a camera bag packed with barely used gear. should be around 300$ to get you everything you need, don't go any higher, they will probably have an asking price of around 4-500$. panasonic, jvc, sony, just look up the model of camra ans see some examples of skateboarding vids made with it. what matters most isnt that you  get a specific camera, what matters is conaistency on your end, so just use it a bunch and learn how to get an image you like.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 04:37:37 PM »
If you’re going the HDSLR route, make sure you get an external mic. That’s one of the most crucial accessories for those type of cameras. The onboard mic sucks.

Jim Nasium

• Rep: 10
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 09:55:23 AM »

I’ve never used those exact models but any of those are good cameras for filming homies. I would definitely recommend going the handyman route if you’re not looking to do anything too serious as you will most likely have more fun filming with a small camera you can throw in your bag and pull out and not have to worry about learning manual settings. You can also get the opteka 37mm fisheye for $100  and will be set.

dakotalofton

• Rep: -21
  • Nothing I say you will like
    • YOUTUBE avatar image
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2022, 07:12:01 AM »
I appreciate everybody's input. Those Panasonics look great but are out of my price range. Being able to zoom is a pretty important feature for me. Henry, I am looking into Sony Handycams. I am interested in these HandyCam models, the FDR-AX33, FDR-AX43, CX675 Handycam. Used models of those are in my price range.

Does anybody have any experience with any of those handycams? Once again, thanks to everybody for the advice.

The Gas Giants Videos Are filmed with a Sony handycam not sure what model but you can check those out for reference.
****IF YOU DON'T FUCK WITH BRONZE56K YOU WHACK AS FUCK****

green

• Rep: 12
    • ig avatar image
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2022, 01:23:08 AM »
very late to this thread but the JVC HM150 is probably your best sub-$500 option –

It's the last of the prosumer 3CCD HD camcorders, so you get VX-like colors and an easy SD card workflow, plus it works perfectly with the Nikon FC-E9 fisheye. I picked up both from ebay for around €300 total.
It's tiny and lightweight which is nice if you wanna pack light, but the image can get a bit shaky as a result. The OIS doesn't do much to help unfortunately.

here's some test clips with the HM150 + Sony ECM-NV1 mic:
https://youtu.be/oWKLS3FHPNA

dakotalofton

• Rep: -21
  • Nothing I say you will like
    • YOUTUBE avatar image
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2022, 01:55:44 PM »
^^^^ what he's saying honestly i don't think you're looking for a HPX or anything. I use a HDR XR150 and its super cheap but great for long lens and you can slap a fisheye one it!!

****IF YOU DON'T FUCK WITH BRONZE56K YOU WHACK AS FUCK****

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2022, 01:30:05 AM »
Absolute noob here. My Dad gave me his old camcorder (some china thing, but it is at least 60fps with 1080p, so the quality is fine for my shitty skating).

Anyway I got a fisheye but when I screw it on, the picture is really distorted and just no clear picture. Anyone might know what I can do to get a better result?
IG: @flowterspace

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2022, 07:06:49 AM »
Absolute noob here. My Dad gave me his old camcorder (some china thing, but it is at least 60fps with 1080p, so the quality is fine for my shitty skating).

Anyway I got a fisheye but when I screw it on, the picture is really distorted and just no clear picture. Anyone might know what I can do to get a better result?

Try and post a picture

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2022, 02:00:27 AM »
Okay so, I got a camcorder with a 37mm mount at the lens and a 37mm fisheye with 0.25x zoom (?) but the edges of the picture are kinda blurry. Now I think about to use a 52mm fisheye with 0.35x zoom (?). To use that fisheye I need to get a step up ring from 37mm to 52mm.

Can anyone tell me, if that is a good solution?
Are there any advantages or disadvantages if I use a step up ring?
Or would it be better to get another 37mm fisheye lens?

I hope ya all understand my question.
Much love and thanks in advance pals.

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2022, 09:16:16 AM »
Okay so, I got a camcorder with a 37mm mount at the lens and a 37mm fisheye with 0.25x zoom (?) but the edges of the picture are kinda blurry. Now I think about to use a 52mm fisheye with 0.35x zoom (?). To use that fisheye I need to get a step up ring from 37mm to 52mm.

i'm gonna assume you got the 'ninja' fisheye? that one is really bad. you want the 37mm 0.3x fisheye. it's known as a clone of the century 'baby death lens' (worst thing to google for lmao). opteka is the most widely available, but it goes under andoer, kapkur, veledge, etc.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673936-REG/Opteka_OPTSC37FE_37mm_0_3X_HD_Ultra.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003174963030.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000763464108.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003026803993.html

as long as it looks like that one. choose whatever is the cheapest for you depending on shipping/currency and how long youre willing to wait. also if you can find a cheap 37mm uv filter you'll probably want to pick it up and then knock the glass out of it. most small camera's need a spacer to widen the fisheye. it most likely will come with adapters and a spacer (i only have the opteka) but you might need 2.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2022, 01:14:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
i'm gonna assume you got the 'ninja' fisheye? that one is really bad. you want the 37mm 0.3x fisheye. it's known as a clone of the century 'baby death lens' (worst thing to google for lmao). opteka is the most widely available, but it goes under andoer, kapkur, veledge, etc.

as long as it looks like that one. choose whatever is the cheapest for you depending on shipping/currency and how long youre willing to wait. also if you can find a cheap 37mm uv filter you'll probably want to pick it up and then knock the glass out of it. most small camera's need a spacer to widen the fisheye. it most likely will come with adapters and a spacer (i only have the opteka) but you might need 2.

Thanks for the answer, that helps a lot. I am looking at that Veledge Fisheye. I had a similar one before but the picture just never got sharp with that objective. Do I need a macro lens to use that Fisheye on my camcorder? Or instead of a macro lens, just some spacers to widen the distance between the camera lens and the Fisheye?

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2022, 09:20:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the answer, that helps a lot. I am looking at that Veledge Fisheye. I had a similar one before but the picture just never got sharp with that objective. Do I need a macro lens to use that Fisheye on my camcorder? Or instead of a macro lens, just some spacers to widen the distance between the camera lens and the Fisheye?
spacers will widen it, but most camcorders can focus close enough. if it has manual controls, lock the focus using manual focus, and also the smaller the aperture (bigger the number), the sharper it will be, to a point. f5.6/f6.8/f7.1 are the sharpest. max aperture will be soft
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2022, 08:59:44 PM »
What's the main skate camera these days?  Not stuck to a budget like the OP, but just wondering whaht most people use these days.  Looking to upgrade my T2i finally and would love one with a proper body.

Thejumpoff

• Rep: 4
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2022, 09:09:40 AM »
I got a cheap canon xa20 a while back on eBay because it did not include the handle with the xlr inputs. Here’s a link for the one I bought. I used it with a step down ring to a 37mm opteka for shooting 4:3, but it also looks great with a 58mm opteka. Setup will be a little more than 500 but pretty solid. Also has a good zoom rocker for long lens

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154926474630?epid=1903973979&hash=item2412566586:g:tOsAAOSwnL5iRjmp

The below video is filmed on a canon g30 which is essentially the same camera and a 58mm opteka fisheye.

https://youtu.be/9k0SVOWQv4s
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 11:35:49 AM by Thejumpoff »