Author Topic: 2021 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 118475 times)

Brguy

Re: 2021 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #150 on: January 09, 2021, 11:52:30 AM »
ngl, their shoes are good for skating
Aren't they expensive, though? To me if a shoe costs more and lasts the same it's already of the list of shoes that are good for skating, if it costs more at least it should last more too or have some super material that will keep my knees from hurting all the time.

Croquet temper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #151 on: January 09, 2021, 02:09:12 PM »
ok. let's do this:

while 'impressive,' i don't much enjoy watching the skating in mark suciu's parts. at all.

minutiae first!
from an aesthetic standpoint i really don't care for his style - mainly his posture on the board. difficult to articulate but the way he compresses his body - for example the tricks where he bends his knees way more on the landing than on the wind up... on zero impact tricks. essentially creates a distracting 'there's way more visual motion happening than is necessary to perform this trick' effect. and i find he spends more time than most pros w/ his body in a sean-pablo-wind-up formation - torso more parallel to the ground than is earthly necessary for that specific trick. (and he'll do it before, during and after tricks as well). don't much care for that.

i personally like my top tier skating to look (and 'feel') as loose and powerful as possible.

suciu cuts a figure on his board that is antithetical to both those things.

i personally think a technical skater's saving grace is when they can look ultra loose on their board and almost borderline spontaneous (eg appleyard) and a 'creative' skater's saving grace is in their capacity to be genuinely i-never-would-have-thought-of-that batshit (eg barletta). to put it in terms that play off his public image: suciu does neither and just looks like he's doing skate arithmetic... not particularly fun or 'cool' or any other adjective that made me pick up a board.

technically impressive or not, if i made a list of the top 100 or even 200 skaters that i have enjoyed staring at footage of over the years yung suciu definitely wouldn't be on there.

I can even see where you’re coming from, and he runs circles around Tom Knox. Footage of him talking is pretty bad tbh

HotnSpicyMcChicken

• Rep: -41
« Reply #152 on: January 09, 2021, 03:10:32 PM »

😭🛹

A lot of people on this board are going to call Suciu a snob for that but then go and shit on someone like Sebo Walker the next time he does a 3 shuv smith. His affect is definitely annoying in this clip but...is he wrong?

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 737
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #153 on: January 09, 2021, 03:39:11 PM »
Expand Quote

😭🛹
[close]

A lot of people on this board are going to call Suciu a snob for that but then go and shit on someone like Sebo Walker the next time he does a 3 shuv smith. His affect is definitely annoying in this clip but...is he wrong?

I don't think we so much disagree with what he's saying. I can speak for myself when I say I think there are some tricks that are more visually appealing than others. I think what's funny is when that video was initially posted somebody immediately posted a clip of him doing a back 5-0 back 180 out in one of his parts. I think it's just a little bit of an air of smugness is what gets people.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

HotnSpicyMcChicken

« Reply #154 on: January 09, 2021, 04:42:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

😭🛹
[close]

[close]

I don't think we so much disagree with what he's saying. I can speak for myself when I say I think there are some tricks that are more visually appealing than others. I think what's funny is when that video was initially posted somebody immediately posted a clip of him doing a back 5-0 back 180 out in one of his parts. I think it's just a little bit of an air of smugness is what gets people.

Makes sense...Suciu definitely wears the boujee pseudointellectual vibe on his sleeve. Also that's funny because I could have sworn he's done that trick before! Maybe it was in an old part from before he refined his palate.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #155 on: January 09, 2021, 06:10:06 PM »
Sponsoring young children is wrong.

Welpok

• Rep: 12
« Reply #156 on: January 09, 2021, 07:42:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

😭🛹
[close]

[close]

[close]

Makes sense...Suciu definitely wears the boujee pseudointellectual vibe on his sleeve. Also that's funny because I could have sworn he's done that trick before! Maybe it was in an old part from before he refined his palate.
Literally I posted this all because someone said they didn't like the word "tasteful" and I instantly thought of this. 
SLAP: come for the gossip, stay for the lk130 Stylin’ On You attempts

“More celebrities know of me than I know of them.” -James T. Greco

mushroom slice

« Reply #157 on: January 09, 2021, 07:56:00 PM »
Frontside smith grind >backside smith grind

fakieprolapse

• Rep: -3
« Reply #158 on: January 09, 2021, 08:00:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Fucking Awesome is fucking awesome
[close]

This is a popular opinion outside of Slap.  All the boomers on here have a weird hate boner for FA

They poach riders and Dill fetishizes young black skateboarders.

Dirk_Diggler

« Reply #159 on: January 09, 2021, 08:27:41 PM »
Tom Brady looks better in a Tampa Bay uniform.

Brguy

« Reply #160 on: January 09, 2021, 10:46:08 PM »
Frontside smith grind >backside smith grind
Frontside=power
Backside=finesse

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #161 on: January 10, 2021, 12:24:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

😭🛹
[close]

[close]

[close]

He actually did and someone called him out on it

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #162 on: January 10, 2021, 12:29:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Johnny laytons “berrics” part is better than a LOT of the parts in Propeller, and he should have had a part and dollin/Rowley should not have had any parts
[close]
is this unpopular? at least for the first half, i think it’s kind of undeniable layton had an exceptional part that outshined his more marketable older contemporaries and younger replacements. he was just a buck short and toy machine cashed his check for him. can’t think of a brand that’s blown it harder than toy in the last decade.

Well said mate
listen to cosmic psychos

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #163 on: January 10, 2021, 01:29:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Johnny laytons “berrics” part is better than a LOT of the parts in Propeller, and he should have had a part and dollin/Rowley should not have had any parts
[close]
is this unpopular? at least for the first half, i think it’s kind of undeniable layton had an exceptional part that outshined his more marketable older contemporaries and younger replacements. he was just a buck short and toy machine cashed his check for him. can’t think of a brand that’s blown it harder than toy in the last decade.
[close]

Well said mate

Eh, I think they’ve picked up good people. Taylor leaving for WKND is bad but, keeping Harmony for Layton was their bigger mistake. Other than that Billy seems like dead weight.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #164 on: January 10, 2021, 02:56:09 AM »
I remember some review of a josh harmony part and the guy said josh harmony boardslides a hubba almost as wide as his wheelbase - pretty gnarly
listen to cosmic psychos

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2021, 03:26:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Aren't they expensive, though? To me if a shoe costs more and lasts the same it's already of the list of shoes that are good for skating, if it costs more at least it should last more too or have some super material that will keep my knees from hurting all the time.

no, not where i live at least. blazers for example cost the same or less than pro vans like rowans, comparable adidas, or new balance. new balance might be a bit cheaper actually, like a 440 is probably 5 bucks cheaper than a blazer, but depends on the release i guess. most sole tech or even lakai shoes are about 5-10 bucks more expensive when they are new. this might be different elsewhere though. blazers come around 75-85. that is where the most basic vans pros start off. nb 440 sometimes release for 65-70.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #166 on: January 10, 2021, 03:35:17 AM »
obsessing over nike sb colorways and collecting them for any reason other than monetary gain is corny as fuck. it's the fashion/skateboarding equivalent of people mindlessly buying and fawning over apple products. i'm baffled as to how uncritical nike sb fanpeops can be. simple navy blazer--->omg, what a fantastic design; totally fucked dunks with furry upper--->damn, so creative and brave to put this out

give me a fucking break. ngl, their shoes are good for skating, but this is a big corpo that completely has you guys in its grips to the point you'll take part in lotteries or stupid social media actions just to have the chance of purchasing a pair. it's pretty fucked.

if you hustle your way up by playing idiots on stockx that have too much money, more power to you though. the only legit reason to spend this much effort to keep up with this brand is to make money off.

sneaker culture as a whole is a joke to me anyways, and i love shoes. one of the very few subcultures if you will where people are proud of themselves for spending obscene amounts of money on cheap mass produced bullshit made by megacorp x that's sold at a premium because of fake scarcity and bullshit marketing buzzwords like "story" and "heritage" and shit like that.

the thing is dunks have always appealed to the hypebeast/shoe collector market, but for the most part it was always balanced in the sense the collectors would go after the quickstrike/limited release stuff ie the red cement dunks in 2012, and the gr's would be picked up by skaters or end up on a sale rack. now with that travis scott fucking collab shit drawing more attention to them and younger kids imitating whatever they see on IG, basically any dunk regardless of what it is will fucking sell out. it's funny going on stockx and looking at pairs of admittedly awful colourway dunks i skated in the past that are now going for $$$.

then you get nike sb tweeting out bullshit like this as if they're not complacent.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2021, 04:05:11 AM »
Expand Quote
obsessing over nike sb colorways and collecting them for any reason other than monetary gain is corny as fuck. it's the fashion/skateboarding equivalent of people mindlessly buying and fawning over apple products. i'm baffled as to how uncritical nike sb fanpeops can be. simple navy blazer--->omg, what a fantastic design; totally fucked dunks with furry upper--->damn, so creative and brave to put this out

give me a fucking break. ngl, their shoes are good for skating, but this is a big corpo that completely has you guys in its grips to the point you'll take part in lotteries or stupid social media actions just to have the chance of purchasing a pair. it's pretty fucked.

if you hustle your way up by playing idiots on stockx that have too much money, more power to you though. the only legit reason to spend this much effort to keep up with this brand is to make money off.

sneaker culture as a whole is a joke to me anyways, and i love shoes. one of the very few subcultures if you will where people are proud of themselves for spending obscene amounts of money on cheap mass produced bullshit made by megacorp x that's sold at a premium because of fake scarcity and bullshit marketing buzzwords like "story" and "heritage" and shit like that.
[close]

the thing is dunks have always appealed to the hypebeast/shoe collector market, but for the most part it was always balanced in the sense the collectors would go after the quickstrike/limited release stuff ie the red cement dunks in 2012, and the gr's would be picked up by skaters or end up on a sale rack. now with that travis scott fucking collab shit drawing more attention to them and younger kids imitating whatever they see on IG, basically any dunk regardless of what it is will fucking sell out. it's funny going on stockx and looking at pairs of admittedly awful colourway dunks i skated in the past that are now going for $$$.

then you get nike sb tweeting out bullshit like this as if they're not complacent.

Lol that tweet is so lame.

I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2021, 04:27:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Suciu is the perfect example of skaters who dont look good in tight pants. See his cross continental part, that shit is so good, but all after that are boring.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2021, 04:39:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

during my last shop tenure there were still regular dunk releases along quick strikes and you wouldn't get rid of either. regulars were mostly sitting around until there was a sale and quickstrikes would be sent back if the hype was fake because nike usually tried to allocate them somewhere else were demand was actually there so as not to force shops to discount them. it still happened so often that they pretty much stopped making them until the resurgence. but even back then there were hardly any releases in more or less normal colorways. qs were already made of mostly unskatable materials and looking ridiculuos. the only q-strikes we got rid off without problems were of course the tiffany rerelease and the jordan1 sb models.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2021, 05:43:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Suciu is the perfect example of skaters who dont look good in tight pants. See his cross continental part, that shit is so good, but all after that are boring.

While we are on Suciu. Check out the first line.... He doesnt push once.... How?

« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 11:14:50 AM by RichardBarkley »
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2021, 07:03:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

This is a popular opinion outside of Slap.  All the boomers on here have a weird hate boner for FA
[close]

"Poaching riders" is a stupid phrase that deprives sponsored skateboarders of agency and a derivative way of looking at sponsor switches.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2021, 07:09:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
"Poaching riders" is a stupid phrase that deprives sponsored skateboarders of agency and a derivative way of looking at sponsor switches.

For real, these are adults making decisions about their own careers. Companies can make offers, and if that offer seems better, then the individuals tend to take it.

Can't afford to be keeping it too real in this economy, anyway.

Edit: who actually knows the details of the addition of new riders, like Louie or Vincetouz? It is possible for skaters to instigate their own sponsorship changes...
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
  • Free Max B
« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2021, 10:13:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

during my last shop tenure there were still regular dunk releases along quick strikes and you wouldn't get rid of either. regulars were mostly sitting around until there was a sale and quickstrikes would be sent back if the hype was fake because nike usually tried to allocate them somewhere else were demand was actually there so as not to force shops to discount them. it still happened so often that they pretty much stopped making them until the resurgence. but even back then there were hardly any releases in more or less normal colorways. qs were already made of mostly unskatable materials and looking ridiculuos. the only q-strikes we got rid off without problems were of course the tiffany rerelease and the jordan1 sb models.
you got a link to that shop? ill buy all the dunks the locals are too cool to buy and make some quick n easy bread

free max b
FREE MAX B

HotnSpicyMcChicken

« Reply #174 on: January 10, 2021, 11:06:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yup. The term also absolves the company the riders are being "poached" from of any operational failures that may have contributed to their decision to move on.

Theseaorganization

« Reply #175 on: January 10, 2021, 11:42:04 AM »
Sponsoring young children is wrong.

This opinion  should  be more popular

Roy Machine

• Rep: -5
« Reply #176 on: January 10, 2021, 01:31:14 PM »
skating with your shirt off is wack. especially if you are ripped. Keep that shit in the gym, jock.

Try to stay fit and healthy when you get older, but If you care about muscels you're just insecure about yourself.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #177 on: January 10, 2021, 01:36:12 PM »
skating with your shirt off is wack. especially if you are ripped. Keep that shit in the gym, jock.

Try to stay fit and healthy when you get older, but If you care about muscels you're just insecure about yourself.
Lot of projection going on here.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #178 on: January 10, 2021, 01:39:45 PM »

kid i get hot in the summer. if your self confidence is so low i can’t skate without a shirt on without you freaking i can’t imagine you’re gonna wanna do much skating around other people anyway

fongool

• Rep: 94
« Reply #179 on: January 10, 2021, 01:59:21 PM »

While we are on Suciu. Check out the first line.... He doesnt push once.... How?

the spot appears to be slightly downhill