Author Topic: 2021 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 118375 times)

Sharp-o

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -6
  • WAH! Haippia spotille!
Re: 2021 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1680 on: December 06, 2021, 05:37:18 AM »
Kevin Bilyeu SOTY

Yup he should be on the contenders list instead of John.

somefucker

« Reply #1681 on: December 06, 2021, 05:46:16 AM »
The constant trick name arguments here are exhausting and pointless.  Nobody’s ever right or wrong.  There is no skateboarding rule book, no official glossary.  You can twist words around, talk about angles, etc etc.  Nollie cab lip, nollie 270 front board, whatever, it’s all the same shit, and if you have a vicious unbending opinion that it can only be called one thing, you’re taking it way too seriously.

contrary to popular belief, frontside and backside are different. so in theory, there is a right and wrong.

its nollie 270 sw bs lip. not that hard, but if you wanna do the mental gymnastics to avoid thinking about the trick thats fine too.

you're that dude that probably does a trick, someone asks what it was, and you're 'too cool' to know what the proper trick name is, so you just say "i dunno man i'm just out here livin'"

but you're better in that moment because you're not 'taking it too seriously'

just learn your left from right i promise you can do it

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #1682 on: December 06, 2021, 08:39:13 AM »
The Vans AVE Pro look horrible.  AVE is in my top 5 all-time favorite skaters but the shoes look like lace-up water shoes made of multi-colored high tech chain mail.

Yes but they work so fucking well
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1683 on: December 06, 2021, 08:40:07 AM »
I like videos with lots of b roll that capture the street environment.

These videos often has hundreds of thousands of views so I don’t know how controversial this is.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1684 on: December 06, 2021, 08:58:11 AM »
The Vans AVE Pro look horrible.  AVE is in my top 5 all-time favorite skaters but the shoes look like lace-up water shoes made of multi-colored high tech chain mail.
which is annoying because they are awesome to skate
Some colorways are ok though

conqueso

« Reply #1685 on: December 06, 2021, 09:26:54 AM »

nollie 270 fs board

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
« Reply #1686 on: December 06, 2021, 09:33:30 AM »
we need more dyet around here

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #1687 on: December 06, 2021, 09:35:02 AM »

nollie 270 fs board

That would be a nollie 270 SWITCH front board/regular back lip.

conqueso

« Reply #1688 on: December 06, 2021, 09:37:30 AM »
my mistake switch front board.

def not a lipslide.

the side he popped does not go over the rail.

that would be yutos trick and is much harder.

adam dyets wife is hot

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #1689 on: December 06, 2021, 09:48:45 AM »
my mistake switch front board.

def not a lipslide.

the side he popped does not go over the rail.

that would be yutos trick and is much harder.

adam dyets wife is hot

I agree and you beat me to editing my comment. The way he spins means it's a switch front board. Yuto's would technically be switch back lip though if you weren't inclined to call it a nollie 270 front board.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 737
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1690 on: December 06, 2021, 10:29:33 AM »

A truly unpopular opinion.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

somefucker

« Reply #1691 on: December 06, 2021, 10:34:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A truly unpopular opinion.

last time i saw him was trying something down the last wallenberg contest and phelps goin "yeahhhh dyet" and tbh that was peak for me

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #1692 on: December 06, 2021, 12:29:40 PM »
stranger things was such a cringe show

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #1693 on: December 06, 2021, 12:40:46 PM »
I think it's mostly just for people born in the 70s who have ten year old kids to watch it with. "See Billy this is what it was like when I was your age..."

mushroom slice

« Reply #1694 on: December 06, 2021, 12:46:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I think it's mostly just for people born in the 70s who have ten year old kids to watch it with. "See Billy this is what it was like when I was your age..."

I think its mostly just an advertisement for Cocacola and BurgerKing.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #1695 on: December 06, 2021, 01:03:03 PM »
Great to see the arguing from the Yuto thread has spilled in here. It's great to see you all go around in circles all over again.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1696 on: December 06, 2021, 01:05:46 PM »

Curious on why it's "cringe"? I can understand simply not liking it or finding it immature. As a 90's kid I thought it was something not to take too seriously that was a much better done version of the shows I grew up on rolled into one. Might now be for everyone, but I associate cringe with things such as Nakel.

Icey

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1697 on: December 06, 2021, 02:58:53 PM »
Dickies 874's are good pants to skate in

the existence of Ben Davis pants makes Dickies redundant

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1698 on: December 06, 2021, 03:12:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Curious on why it's "cringe"? I can understand simply not liking it or finding it immature. As a 90's kid I thought it was something not to take too seriously that was a much better done version of the shows I grew up on rolled into one. Might now be for everyone, but I associate cringe with things such as Nakel.
kinda what mean salto said but it uses nostalgia for the older and for the younger it uses wannabe retro hip shit to sell dumb promo cups from wherever with its bland boring story about nosebleed gurl and the boogeyman

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1699 on: December 06, 2021, 03:18:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Dickies 874's are good pants to skate in
[close]

the existence of Ben Davis pants makes Dickies redundant

Ben Davis pants are way too baggy for running so small at the waist.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1700 on: December 06, 2021, 03:45:02 PM »
im not feeling all the last resort hype. its like when everyone started loving aces overnight

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #1701 on: December 06, 2021, 03:57:18 PM »
im not feeling all the last resort hype. its like when everyone started loving aces overnight

To piggyback on this unpopular opinion the first last resorts looked so much better. I think before the Pontus designed ones. Could of possibly been a dunk rival instead of a rival for thin vulc shoes people can already get cheaper and easier

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #1702 on: December 06, 2021, 06:11:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

To piggyback on this unpopular opinion the first last resorts looked so much better. I think before the Pontus designed ones. Could of possibly been a dunk rival instead of a rival for thin vulc shoes people can already get cheaper and easier
Bro…you can’t tell the Euro cats their shits overpriced it’s “CraFtsManShIP” and “QuALiTy”. They “CaRE”.

(Not a shot at polar just all the wack cats overcharging for shit; kys please)(<- That might be against some rule so no one actually go kill them selves; Thank you)

I decided I don’t want to post this, but reading over it i feel like I have to share this stream of consciousness .

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #1703 on: December 06, 2021, 06:54:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Bro…you can’t tell the Euro cats their shits overpriced it’s “CraFtsManShIP” and “QuALiTy”. They “CaRE”.

(Not a shot at polar just all the wack cats overcharging for shit; kys please)(<- That might be against some rule so no one actually go kill them selves; Thank you)

I decided I don’t want to post this, but reading over it i feel like I have to share this stream of consciousness .

I feel like it'd be pretty tasteful to lose the kill yourself bit, joking or not - no one needs to hear that.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #1704 on: December 06, 2021, 07:10:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I feel like it'd be pretty tasteful to lose the kill yourself bit, joking or not - no one needs to hear that.
Yeah I’ve really been trying to take it out of my “insults”, but weird 2000-2010’s emo shit still runs my brain.

(I hate how wack this sounds, but sadly it’s true)

I was honestly thinking of starting a thread in whatever asking about people’s opinions on the “phrase”(this is getting stupid and convoluted), but decided I didn’t know how to word the question.

I definitely get what you’re saying is what I mean.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1705 on: December 07, 2021, 08:09:38 AM »

For a nostalgia trap, it was fine. To me, the cringe part was the extreme reaction to it, and the fact that they continued (and are continuing) to make the show after the first season. We will probably have some annoying version of the "Stranger Things Universe" from now until the sun burns out.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #1706 on: December 07, 2021, 09:32:37 AM »

There's a vibe in adult skateboarding (on here esp.) where using gear as means to support an ideal trumps gear as function. And that's core to skating for a lot of people. It gets annoying when the "gear" in question has a distinct function from its competitors - Like Venture-based anti-Indy hype annoyed me because they are pretty fucking different trucks. Last Resorts fit a certain niche and theyre not just gonna stand in for Vans or any cup
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

somesortofspin

• Rep: -80
« Reply #1707 on: December 07, 2021, 09:42:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

are you incredibly stupid or dont you realize that american stuff in europe cost us as much as European stuff costs you? I dont think anyone can be that stupid.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 12:21:44 PM by somesortofspin »

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #1708 on: December 07, 2021, 10:26:43 AM »
? why not? it's the first skater-owned shoe company in who knows how long that actually seems really cool; great team, design, and overall aesthetic. shouldn't everyone be hyped on a skater-owned company that's doing well?

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #1709 on: December 07, 2021, 10:32:02 AM »
Cariuma-19 isn't a hoax