Author Topic: Need camera advice  (Read 1091 times)

kshuvv123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Need camera advice
« on: January 01, 2021, 10:49:57 AM »
im looking to get a hmc40. is that a good hvx alternative? https://www.ebay.com/itm/PANASONIC-AG-HMC40P-3MOS-HD-PROFESSIONAL-AVCCAM/154264051876?epid=1308761198&hash=item23eadaa0a4:g:ZDcAAOSwGqFf6B62    This was the one i was looking to get, does anyone know if this one is good?

clintendo

• Rep: 24
Re: Need camera advice
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 04:43:18 PM »
I personally haven't used one before, but the main difference your going to find between these and the HMC/HPX/HVX's is the chip set, this camera uses smaller chips I think 1/4 chips where as the standard 3CCD HMC/HPX/HVX's use 1/3, just means they're usually better for getting colour and image quality.

The plus side of the camera you're looking at here is that its SD card as opposed to the P2 cards the HPX & HVX use, makes it easier for you to get storage.

The HMC40 is like the semi, semi-pro camera... it'll be good to learn on but if the end game is to film more, you're going to end up upgrading later after you realise the limitations on this cameras options and settings.

I'd suggest saving up for a HPX or HMC if you can

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 05:07:35 PM »
I looked into buying this camera a few years ago and decided against it and got an HMC150 for a few reasons. Mostly because of the limited scene files on the HMC40, poorer low light, and it wasn’t that much for for the 150.

The HMC40 is a good camera and you will get great footage with it, but you just need to research and figure out if it will suit your needs. Google & YouTube it and think of what you want from a camera and then make a decision.

Peep this thread comparing the 150 vs the 40 Lots of good information here and on DVXuser.com in general

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?221424-hmc40-vs-hmc150

suckmadeck

• Rep: 27
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 06:09:57 PM »
I'd avoid any old Panasonic at this point. You can find cameras with far better quality and at a better price than being ripped off by some Panasonic propaganda

clintendo

• Rep: 24
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 06:20:16 PM »
I looked into buying this camera a few years ago and decided against it and got an HMC150 for a few reasons. Mostly because of the limited scene files on the HMC40, poorer low light, and it wasn’t that much for for the 150.

The HMC40 is a good camera and you will get great footage with it, but you just need to research and figure out if it will suit your needs. Google & YouTube it and think of what you want from a camera and then make a decision.

Peep this thread comparing the 150 vs the 40 Lots of good information here and on DVXuser.com in general

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?221424-hmc40-vs-hmc150

You sir, are a good man.

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 07:25:10 PM »
I'd avoid any old Panasonic at this point. You can find cameras with far better quality and at a better price than being ripped off by some Panasonic propaganda

Like which cameras? Hit the man with some examples if your gonna bash his original choice.

suckmadeck

• Rep: 27
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 10:30:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Like which cameras? Hit the man with some examples if your gonna bash his original choice.

I used a Sony X70 which is a fantastic camcorder. It does 4:2:2 10bit HD at 50p/60p, has XLR mic inputs, you can remove the handle for extra tight packing away, records to 2 SD cards, you can do variable frame rates from 1p to 60p in 1080p. It's insane in lowlight and it's pretty cheap for everything you're getting. Hell I know it's not necessary but it's also broadcast approved for most things since it does 50mbps

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 01:25:06 PM »
HMC40 can look okay but its def not on the level of the HMC150/HPX170

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM0vCUqBMtw
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

kshuvv123

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 09:57:45 PM »
  Ya that's probably true, but i think i am just going to get the HMC40, as I found one for $300 and don't wanna invest too much into filming right now.

kshuvv123

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 09:59:32 PM »
I personally haven't used one before, but the main difference your going to find between these and the HMC/HPX/HVX's is the chip set, this camera uses smaller chips I think 1/4 chips where as the standard 3CCD HMC/HPX/HVX's use 1/3, just means they're usually better for getting colour and image quality.

The plus side of the camera you're looking at here is that its SD card as opposed to the P2 cards the HPX & HVX use, makes it easier for you to get storage.

The HMC40 is like the semi, semi-pro camera... it'll be good to learn on but if the end game is to film more, you're going to end up upgrading later after you realise the limitations on this cameras options and settings.

I'd suggest saving up for a HPX or HMC if you can
Thanks for all the good info! But i think for now I will just buy the HMC40 because its only $300, and then as i get more into filming i will get a hpx or HMC150

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 10:05:47 PM »
HMC40 is good choice and that’s a good price. Especially if your not sure how into filming your going to be and/or are new to it.

kshuvv123

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2021, 10:07:34 PM »
HMC40 is good choice and that’s a good price. Especially if your not sure how into filming your going to be and/or are new to it.
Ok, I think I will get the HMC40, thanks for all the advice