Author Topic: Can you actually skate in any shoe?  (Read 1378 times)

MetalAnkleMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 17
Can you actually skate in any shoe?
« on: October 23, 2022, 08:14:58 PM »
Can you skate in any shoes? (like actual skate shoes, not cowboy boots or some shit) Im creating this topic because I have become to OCD about what shoes I skate in. I see some pros out there that dont have a shoe sponsor and I notice they can skate in pretty much anything, one clip will be slip on's, next one high tops. How are you all about your shoes? Do you stick to one model for a while? Or do you believe in enough time anyone can adopt to whats on their feet?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 10:38:03 AM by MetalAnkleMan »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
Re: Can you actually skate in any shoe?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 01:32:50 AM »
Whatever is cheap and looks fine. After 1 or 2 sessions I'm used to new shoes if I walk around in them before.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 611
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 03:31:29 AM »
Short answer: Hell no
IG: @flowterspace

eSK3

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 03:54:11 AM »
I feel the answer is yes. I’ve skated Jordan’s, NB runners, forces and a few others over the years. A kickflip is done the same way no matter what collection of materials you wrap around your feet for protection.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 447
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2022, 04:24:55 AM »
For me it comes down to can I skate a pair of shoes and be able to walk without pain the next day. That’s why Vans are a no go for me. Makes my back feel like all my bushings are too tight.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022, 05:24:16 AM »
I feel the answer is yes. I’ve skated Jordan’s, NB runners, forces and a few others over the years. A kickflip is done the same way no matter what collection of materials you wrap around your feet for protection.

I don't mean to correct you because you're right but it's funny you'd mention kickflips in particular since something I've been observing from experience over the past couple of years is shell toes/toe caps seemingly help with them (or just a rigid area around the toes in general). Because it's a less easily flexible material, your toes (or at least mine) will resist the concave harder just before the flick, thereby optimizing it. Can be felt on most flip tricks but straight kickflips in particular almost feel like a different trick.

Shoes are whatever works best on my feet here, I can't do high tops (tend to give me tendinitis), I like mid tops for at least the impression of the extra protection (as long as it doesn't get in the way) and certainly don't mind low tops. Paranoid about even thinking of trying skating in slip-ons. Protection of the foot and comfort are as important to me as board feel.

About adapting, I used to skate in non skate shoes a lot (tennis shoes, thrift store shoes etc.) and regardless of any brand, very naturally, the traits that are commonly practical for skating will work, the ones that aren't won't. Shoe quality in general is a lot more model-specific than what most people think when they say they swear by this or that company (except for those three times they were let down before). You can adapt to everything (I even adapted to Vallely 2's once but it took three months), however that still won't mean your current choice is optimal.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 06:11:57 AM by silhouette »

IpathCats

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2022, 05:49:21 AM »
Yes. A corporation doesn't need to tell you the shoe is for skateboarding in order for it to be skate able.

Especially back in the day you would see loads of dudes wearing shoes that weren't designed for skateboarding. Blazers, dunks, aj1s, pumas, Reeboks. Adidas shell toes and sambas. The list goes on.

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 716
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2022, 08:27:03 AM »
Skated in Iversons my first year-ish of learning tricks.  They worked fine.  Pretty sure I had a “real” board before I got actual skate shoes. 

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2022, 09:10:46 AM »
I feel like the question is too broad.

I can skate flatground in any shoe but I'm not going into a bowl or doing a trick down a set in any shoe.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2022, 09:29:49 AM »
Literally anything

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 539
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2022, 09:40:55 AM »
If skating curb/flatground: yes, any shoe.

If transition: I prefer mids/highs for ankle support.

I don't get picky between vulc and cup.

MetalAnkleMan

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2022, 10:44:49 AM »
Some background info:
Completely destroyed my ankle in 2020 (surgery, physical therapy)
Only skated in Vans Sk8-hi's for 2 years with an ankle brace, swore this will be the only shoe I skate for the rest of my life due to my ankle injury.
Constant foot/ankle pain and decided lack of ankle range of motion is probably doing more harm than good
Switched to the most beefiest shoe on the market, NB 1010, took many sessions to get used to but very happy with my decision

2 completely different shoes but I skate exactly the same skill wise....

Makes me want to have an approach only skate in whats going to protect your feet the most...followed by "fashion"   

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1098
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2022, 11:37:08 AM »
No. Skate shoes were invented first and then shoe developers worked backwards to create the first skateboard, thereby allowing Nike SB to flourish.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2022, 12:24:40 PM »
Can I?  Probably.  Will my session be as good?  Maybe, maybe not.

A few years ago my wife bought me a set of Adidas Matchcourt Mids - full suede.  They were nice shoes, but I was skating them at a time that I had quite a few crappy sessions in a row.  One day I was out with a different set of shoes and had a great session.   Next time out was with the matchcourts - and was a crappy session.  I don't think I ever had a good session in those shoes and they are sitting in my closet with tons of life left in them.  I think they are just stiffer than a lot of other shoes I have and I don't get the same board feel.   Whatever it is, it convinced me to stick with a few shoes I know and skate well with.  That means Busenitz Vulc for the last couple years.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2022, 01:03:45 PM »
Only skated in Vans Sk8-hi's for 2 years with an ankle brace, swore this will be the only shoe I skate for the rest of my life due to my ankle injury.
Constant foot/ankle pain and decided lack of ankle range of motion is probably doing more harm than good   

Probably good on you honestly, the high tops I was referring to earlier that would consistently give me tendinitis and bursitis were Vans Sk8 Hi's.

Obligatory Connor Kammerer mention:

« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 01:12:16 PM by silhouette »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2022, 01:29:40 PM »
I'm a broken record with saying this but same thing as you guys had a fucked ankle for high and mid tops thinking it would help and it did the opposite. Saw some ankle surgeon who straight up said mid and high shoes are bullshit   ankle support isn't real. The only thing a higher shoe can do is lock your foot down a bit better if you have issues with heel slip. Which funnily enough is where I'm at now as I find pretty much every shoe I try on (or unfortunately buy without trying on) I find to be way too shallow and have been considering going back to blazers or sk8 hi. Basically tho if the shoe fits my foot I can pretty much skate it.

MetalAnkleMan

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2022, 03:09:43 PM »
Great advice in this thread so far, it seems like high tops really dont do much if you have ankle problems. The ankle is suppose to be able to move, not feel restricted. I never thought I would skate without my brace, nor in low top shoes. I picked the NB 1010 because it actually has arch support unlike a ton of shoes on the market. Also the impact protection is like no other. I must have tried on 20 different skate shoes and I would slam my heel into the ground and the 1010 felt like a pillow. All the others would give pain. The 1010 also locks your heel down pretty well.

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2022, 03:26:56 PM »
I just remembered getting this pair of supra high tops that were ugly as sin, first cupsoles.

I went to the park and went up this super high tombstone and my feet were sliding all over the board. Never skated vert in those again nor skated vert in brand new cupsoles again without testing...

I didn't munch it but that is a terrible feeling
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

Trilogy

• Rep: -258
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2022, 03:29:52 PM »
I just can't skate in leather shoes, they aren't grippy.

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 44
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2022, 03:33:36 PM »
I just skate high tops for the shark bite, I don't need any "support" i just don't want my board to hit my ankle hahah

m path

• Rep: -51
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2022, 04:45:48 PM »
not runners i find.  I'm used to vulcs or somthing that feels kinda like that.
"You used to speak the truth but now you're clever"

Lashes2ashes

• Rep: 7
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2022, 06:57:02 PM »
Can you skate in any shoes? (like actual skate shoes, not cowboy boots or some shit) Im creating this topic because I have become to OCD about what shoes I skate in. I see some pros out there that dont have a shoe sponsor and I notice they can skate in pretty much anything, one clip will be slip on's, next one high tops. How are you all about your shoes? Do you stick to one model for a while? Or do you believe in enough time anyone can adopt to whats on their feet?
I can’t, pretty much only skated vans the last four years, and got a pair of ksl g6, flat ground is fine but I mostly skate transition and I find they have absolutely ZERO board feel. i have also noticed unless it’s gum sole I loose a lot of my height on Ollie’s.