Author Topic: DLX board sizes are always off  (Read 10634 times)

yungtaco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
DLX board sizes are always off
« on: January 04, 2021, 02:23:37 PM »
I work at a skateshop and we cycle through dlx wood pretty fast, a month or so ago I mesured a 8.5 anti-hero and noticed it was an exact 8.38. Thinking this was just a mis-sand I tried a bunch more and noticed the same thing. I have probably mesured like 40 anti-hero, krooked and real decks since them and nearly every one has been off 1/8 to 1/16. This problem is mostly with 8.5 but I have noticed it with every size basically. If you dont beleive me mesure one! Our skateshop is in Canada but I dont think that would make a difference. Maybe this is just a sanding problem with the newer post covid dxl boards, did they fuck up trying to keep up with demand and pump them out too quick? I would be kinda pissed if I have 149s sticking out on board that was supposed to be a 8.5. Anyways I still only skate dlx boards and love the shapes, just gotta remember to double check em!

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: DLX board sizes are always off
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 03:28:22 PM »
I work at a skateshop and we cycle through dlx wood pretty fast, a month or so ago I mesured a 8.5 anti-hero and noticed it was an exact 8.38. Thinking this was just a mis-sand I tried a bunch more and noticed the same thing. I have probably mesured like 40 anti-hero, krooked and real decks since them and nearly every one has been off 1/8 to 1/16. This problem is mostly with 8.5 but I have noticed it with every size basically. If you dont beleive me mesure one! Our skateshop is in Canada but I dont think that would make a difference. Maybe this is just a sanding problem with the newer post covid dxl boards, did they fuck up trying to keep up with demand and pump them out too quick? I would be kinda pissed if I have 149s sticking out on board that was supposed to be a 8.5. Anyways I still only skate dlx boards and love the shapes, just gotta remember to double check em!

I feel like this is an answer you can give us. Have the owner/whoever is in charge of purchasing to email/call your dlx sales rep.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 03:38:15 PM »

I didn't check, but maybe you or someone else brought this up in the DLX Shapes thread, with pics of the For Lovers series a while back.

Might just be me, but I have found them always to be bigger for the most part, and my 8.38s on Indy 149s are a perfect fit, but they are also pretty much the same as 8.5 from some other brands, so I am happy either way.

The Full boards were always so much bigger it would seem too, again not a worry as I liked that.

Found the thread and link here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85076.msg3412452#msg3412452

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Glurmpz

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 04:21:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I didn't check, but maybe you or someone else brought this up in the DLX Shapes thread, with pics of the For Lovers series a while back.

Might just be me, but I have found them always to be bigger for the most part, and my 8.38s on Indy 149s are a perfect fit, but they are also pretty much the same as 8.5 from some other brands, so I am happy either way.

The Full boards were always so much bigger it would seem too, again not a worry as I liked that.

Found the thread and link here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85076.msg3412452#msg3412452

It was me who shared the pics. It was an “8.4” shape that actually measured 8.30. Consistently too throughout our stock. Too bad both of those I bought broke easily second session.

Also, I ride 8.25 and 8.38 decks and 149’s and my trucks don’t stick out. I know they say the axle is 8.5 but it sure doesn’t seem like it. Looks perfectly flush on the 8.25 and skinnier than the 8.38.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 04:37:29 PM »

It was me who shared the pics. It was an “8.4” shape that actually measured 8.30. Consistently too throughout our stock. Too bad both of those I bought broke easily second session.

Also, I ride 8.25 and 8.38 decks and 149’s and my trucks don’t stick out. I know they say the axle is 8.5 but it sure doesn’t seem like it. Looks perfectly flush on the 8.25 and skinnier than the 8.38.

That's right, the board breaking struggle!!!

I am going to set up a fresh (post covid) 8.38 eagle as soon as it arrives, so it will be interesting to see if there are any differences between this one and the other ones I had prior to covid, in shape, feel, and how the wood is too.

Even when I have lined up in a stack (back to back, all on their sides) about ten of the 8.25 assorted DLX boards, there are some that stick out more and some less, which I always found interesting, because when I did the same with about ten of another BBS supplier, they were all identical, exact specs, almost exactly the same concave, no differences in width, etc.

Funny to think about it but I don't lose sleep over it.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 04:41:47 PM »

I was just thinking about the size, but checking if you also measured wheelbase?  So I wonder if the 8.5 x 32.25 with 14.38 wheelbase were actually the 8.38 x 32.25 with 14.5 wheelbase or something like that, or the 8.4 x 32 with 14.25 wheelbase, which is becoming more popular and was a really good size and shape to ride for me.  I just don't like the 8.5 x 31.8 with 14.25 wheelbase as I find the tail is too short.  That is on me though and I know lots of people want that board.

Some I had were definitely mis stickered and I was stoked to have a whole graphic run of boards in a size I really wanted, so I tucked them away and didn't sell any.

yungtaco

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 04:57:05 PM »
Mesured a bunch of wheelbases (14.25,14.38 & 14.5) and they were all dead on. Im sure there drillpress is set precisely (that would be super sloppy craftmanship if not). Pretty sure the dlx Canadian rep is Wade Fyfe (also a legend btw) I may have to hit him up. Nearly every other board brand/woodshop I mesure its quite acurate with the widths so I was pretty suprised about dlx shapes because I always assumed there stuff is top notch. I skated a ton of there stuff over the years and never found they broke that easy, also heavily back thunder and spitfire and never had problems

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 05:02:10 PM »
Mesured a bunch of wheelbases (14.25,14.38 & 14.5) and they were all dead on. Im sure there drillpress is set precisely (that would be super sloppy craftmanship if not). Pretty sure the dlx Canadian rep is Wade Fyfe (also a legend btw) I may have to hit him up. Nearly every other board brand/woodshop I mesure its quite acurate with the widths so I was pretty suprised about dlx shapes because I always assumed there stuff is top notch. I skated a ton of there stuff over the years and never found they broke that easy, also heavily back thunder and spitfire and never had problems

Definitely not the issue with the drill press, more just the 8.38 might have been labeled as the 8.5 or something, but as you said, if the rest of the specs from the sticker matched the deck, then someone might have been a bit too keen doing the edge work and sanded a mm or two off more than they should have.

Glurmpz

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 05:22:35 PM »
I just got an email back from DLX about my string of brand new snapped boards. Strangely, he asked me for all the info I clearly included in my original email, but they want photos so I guess I’ll just write it all out again. Hope they don’t mind that I removed the graphic on both the Anti Hero decks, lol. Fingers crossed they hook it up somehow. That was $190 down the drain real quick.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 05:26:05 PM »
my usual eagle chipped all to fuck second sesh

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 09:09:12 PM »
Fact. The 8.5s have NEVER been a true 8.5, always an 8.38. The 8.25 and 8.38s are usually spot on. The 8.06. 8.28, and 8.4 have all been narrower, too. 
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

z_tx

• Rep: 26
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 09:13:40 PM »
I have a real donnelley praying fingers 8.25 full se that measures 8.38. Doesn't have a roman numeral stamp on the top either

Glurmpz

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2021, 09:36:48 PM »
I have a real donnelley praying fingers 8.25 full se that measures 8.38. Doesn't have a roman numeral stamp on the top either

I have that same board (haven't set it up yet cause I don't want to snap another new board, mine has the numeral - it's a 1), and it's just shy of 8 3/8. I find most DLX 8.25's are usually around that size.

Bigpantssmallwheelz

• Rep: -3
  • Ollie one foot, you bozo.
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 09:41:50 PM »

I don't know man. But according to trump the democrats must be the ones behind it.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2021, 11:04:56 PM »
I like to ride the 8.5 x 31.8 14.25 wb dlx shape and the wb has always appeared to measure a bit small. I even saw online a shop had the wb as 14 on the dot. My last two have been marked IV and have both measured 8.5 on the dot.

Interestingly enough I was at my local shop the other day and and they had a polar deck (same wood shop as dlx) that was stickered and marked as an 8.625 but was actually an 8.

Wafools

• Rep: 42
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2021, 12:34:41 AM »
I like to ride the 8.5 x 31.8 14.25 wb dlx shape and the wb has always appeared to measure a bit small. I even saw online a shop had the wb as 14 on the dot. My last two have been marked IV and have both measured 8.5 on the dot.

Interestingly enough I was at my local shop the other day and and they had a polar deck (same wood shop as dlx) that was stickered and marked as an 8.625 but was actually an 8.

This is why I stopped skating dlx board because they were so inconsistent. I thought it was just me. It’s also a headcase between shapes and wb and the concave number.

But I think it’s just bbs. I just got 2 polar 8.25s from the new drop and one is a touch longer then the other and they are labeled 14.125 WB but when I measured they are both 14.25. The with seems right but I haven’t measured it.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2021, 08:25:21 AM »
I've ridden the 8.25/32/14.38 for years now. It's always been on point. The 8.5 (esp the blue eagle) has been all over the map.

About 4 years ago at my local shop we notice the size stickers on the blue eagle usually ONLY listed the width. Every other DLX deck had the usual size stickers with width, length, and WB. We started measuring the blue eagles when they came in. WB ranged from 14.25, 14.38, and 14.5. Length was 31.8 to 32.2. We surmised that the size sticker, with width only listed, was because DLX was either intentionally or unintentionally producing 8.5 decks that were unpredictable, hence length and WB were never listed. I should note that none of these were actually an 8.5 width, they were all 8.38. Also, I can't remember if these had the I, II, III, or IV on them, or just a single dot.

A while later things seemed to stabilize. The blue eagle started coming with the normal size sticker. 8.5. 31.8. 14.25. AH even started listing WB on their web site (they were a little slow to do this), and listed the 8.5s as a 14.25 wb. Again, these were all 8.38, and not actually 8.5.

A month ago I decided I wanted to try a smaller wheel base. I ordered an 8.5 eagle. I stood on it when it arrived, and immediately knew something was off. I held it up against my 8.25, and the 8.5 was LONGER (it is supposed to be shorter). I measured the wheelbase, and it was 14.38 (supposed to be 14.25, which is the exact reason I ordered it). It had the usually size sticker on it, which stated 8.5, 14.25, 31.8. Deck was also 8.38 wide (but I expected that). I wasn't happy.

So, the 8.5 still seems to be...inconsistent. 

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 10:17:20 AM by Sedition »

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2021, 10:13:16 AM »

Here’s some photo evidence. This is a brand new Real 8.5 stamped I. Compared to a grimplestix deck of the same dimensions but stamped IV it measures and appears a hair thinner. Also something I noticed is that these decks are slightly closer to 8.5 towards the front of the deck and then slim down towards 8.38. And maybe I’m just bad at measuring wb but that definitely looks to be more of a 14 than 14.25. Not mad at all I love this shape and dimensions just interesting

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2021, 10:22:40 AM »
Guy I know recently got the 8.75 white eagle. Size sticker on it said "8.75, 31.5, 14.25." I've NEVER seen a DLX with those dimensions. He measured it, and deck was the usually normally listed dimensions (8.75, 32.5, 14.62). Sticker appeared to be a total misprint.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2021, 10:38:34 AM »

Here’s some photo evidence. This is a brand new Real 8.5 stamped I. Compared to a grimplestix deck of the same dimensions but stamped IV it measures and appears a hair thinner. Also something I noticed is that these decks are slightly closer to 8.5 towards the front of the deck and then slim down towards 8.38. And maybe I’m just bad at measuring wb but that definitely looks to be more of a 14 than 14.25. Not mad at all I love this shape and dimensions just interesting

Decks are typically measured over the rear bolts of the front truck. And almost all decks get narrower out the back. wheelbase is middle of the hole to middle of the hole. I've personally never had a DLX board that was off. Not saying it ins't happening.

ballintoohard

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2021, 10:54:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is why I stopped skating dlx board because they were so inconsistent. I thought it was just me. It’s also a headcase between shapes and wb and the concave number.

But I think it’s just bbs. I just got 2 polar 8.25s from the new drop and one is a touch longer then the other and they are labeled 14.125 WB but when I measured they are both 14.25. The with seems right but I haven’t measured it.

Nah the Polar 8.25 is always 14.25 and the 8.38 is always 14.38. I dunno why they list otherwise. It's at least consistent.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2021, 11:01:51 AM »
Guy I know recently got the 8.75 white eagle. Size sticker on it said "8.75, 31.5, 14.25." I've NEVER seen a DLX with those dimensions. He measured it, and deck was the usually normally listed dimensions (8.75, 32.5, 14.62). Sticker appeared to be a total misprint.

I’d be so hype for an 8.75 x 31.5, 14.25 wb. Fucking sweet. Wide and short. It’s funny because I’ll buy boards that I think are short because of listed measurements, and they are almost all 31.75-32.5 (wider boards).

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2021, 11:10:22 AM »
Wheelbase is middle of the hole to middle of the hole.
This is what I always thought too but Fos measures distance between the inside edges of the holes. Maybe this is the source of the confusion.

Wafools

• Rep: 42
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2021, 12:04:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Nah the Polar 8.25 is always 14.25 and the 8.38 is always 14.38. I dunno why they list otherwise. It's at least consistent.

No way. I’m saying the sticker says 14.125 but it measures 14.25 from middle of the hole to middle of the hole.
I also had a Harrington deck, that slick deck with the American flag on it in an 8.38 and it measured 14.5. I was bummed because it felt so long. I was hoping it would be what the sticker said, 14.38 which is about my max. I think it’s just bbs. I think they are just rushing to get wood out. Same with PS. The last 3 Quasi’s I skated felt weird. Like the wood chipped within a week or so and they sogged out in 3 weeks.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2021, 12:38:48 PM »

i've been skating this shape Real (based on the sticker dimensions) for 3 boards, all have been 8.38 actual width, but good for 14.25 wb. they are noticeably narrower than the anti-hero and krooked 8.5s with the same sticker labels.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2021, 01:18:21 PM »
I seem to be the exception with a 8:38 Full that was actually 8.5  :o
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2021, 01:29:36 PM »
I’d be so hype for an 8.75 x 31.5, 14.25 wb. Fucking sweet. Wide and short.

Plan B / Danny Way (according to SoCal). Over 32”, but 8.75 with shorter WB.

Width: 8.75"
Length: 32.125"
Wheelbase: 14.2"
Nose: 7.25"
Tail: 6.6"

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2021, 02:10:08 PM »
Expand Quote
I’d be so hype for an 8.75 x 31.5, 14.25 wb. Fucking sweet. Wide and short.
[close]

Plan B / Danny Way (according to SoCal). Over 32”, but 8.75 with shorter WB.

Width: 8.75"
Length: 32.125"
Wheelbase: 14.2"
Nose: 7.25"
Tail: 6.6"

Good looking out. Will check.
Length might be the most important measurement for me, 31.5” non pressed. I can find it, but only on very narrow boards.

Back on track: the boards I’ve bought lately, 2 bbs, 1 ps, 1 evisen, have all been mis labeled, or feel ‘weird’ (mostly just feel lighter/more flex)

yungtaco

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2021, 02:52:17 PM »
It’s pretty funny how out to lunch there mesurments can be but they still feel the need to use mesurements like 8.06 - they cant even get it within 1/8” half the time whats the point

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2021, 03:35:42 PM »
Good looking out. Will check.
Length might be the most important measurement for me, 31.5” non pressed. I can find it, but only on very narrow boards.

8.8" by 31.48" with a 14" wb?

https://www.paradeworld.com/product/creature-free-for-all-powerply-deck-88-212-37386684367019/?gclid=CjwKCAiAudD_BRBXEiwAudakX6g2qYTGWJJpH0d-6gALSra-82ppzOB8BcOq6sMGAMpEvN7fDb_z8xoCKpoQAvD_BwE